• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish model gets rape threats after ad shows her unshaved legs

How is this still a thing for some people, by the way? Nothing wrong with body hair.

Millenia of male supremacy and over a hundred years of women needing to be hairless to be 'beautiful' or whatever bullshit the shaving companies came up with means a lot of men aren't prepared to handle the fact that women are, in fact, human.

Yeah, hairy legs are going to happen for the vast majority of women, not infrequently. Here are some common occasions where women (even the women who regularly shave) skip shaving: It's the week of their period, they're not feeling well, they had to rush their shower, it's cold outside and no one other than their SO is going to see their legs.

All of the above can last a good week, easy.

Yeah that’s how my wife is, doesn’t bother me.

Drain You

Ridiculous and sad. If a girl doesn't want to shave go right ahead. I've known a couple girls who stopped shaving thier pits, never made me look at them any differently. I'd probably do the same if I was a girl, seems like such a hassle to keep up with. ( Semi related, as a dude I shaved my pits a couple times completely, was actually kinda nice, but I can't imagine having to do it on a regular basis. )

Ryzaki009

Yeah I don't bother shaving my legs. I shave my armpits because hairy underarms are just uncomfortable to me but screw shaving my legs.

MsKrisp

WTF is wrong with people

Ridiculous and sad. If a girl doesn't want to shave go right ahead. I've known a couple girls who stopped shaving thier pits, never made me look at them any differently. I'd probably do the same if I was a girl, seems like such a hassle to keep up with. ( Semi related, as a dude I shaved my pits a couple times completely, was actually kinda nice, but I can't imagine having to do it on a regular basis. )

I actually like when guys keep armpit hair trimmed (doesn't have to be totally shaved). It keeps down smell and looks better imo. But it's their choice, not mine.

I'm far too lazy to shave my leg hair all the time, it's light and fine so that helps but outside of a special occasion I just shave once every couple weeks.

As to the model, just more of the disgusting forced beauty standards... What kind of pathetic excuse for a man do you have to be to makes rape threats over a woman having some leg hair?

9OWYgig.gif

Yeah, your taking this too seriously. How is his opinion any different than wanting to date someone who exercises or doesn't drink?

Because this is a thread about someone who was threatened with being raped because of her legs not being shaved.
Why come into a thread like this and essentially endorse the guys' point of view, just noting that the rape part is wrong? Like, this isn't the place for it.

Tagyhag

Disgusting, sometimes I really do believe the Internet shouldn't be anonymous. Then let's see those dumbasses make threats then.

--->
As I said before - yes, it is.

That's ridiculous. That's like finding someone overweight unattractive. As long as you're not shaming, then there's nothing wrong with that opinion.

It's not. I think expecting it to be the norm is or having separate standards of beauty depending on gender is. Body/facial hair's a choice for anybody who grows it, some people like it and some don't.

I don't think there's a reason to vilify people who don't like body/facial hair. The issues with suggesting that somebody else shouldn't be free to grow it due to other peoples personal opinions.

TraBuch

Banned
--->

Saying that "the next guy" dislikes hairy legs as well.

And then following it up with shaming:

So what?

I'm still waiting for the part where you show me where I said women need to shave their legs.

Do I find hairy legs attractive? No. Would I tell someone they need to get rid of that hair? No.

Yeah, your taking this too seriously. How is his opinion any different than wanting to date someone who exercises or doesn't drink?
I never even said anything about refusing to date someone that doesn't shave. I can find a feature of somebody unattractive and still find the person attractive.

We need to get over this whole “women have no hair on their bodies except their heads.” Bullshit. Women have hair. Let them have hair.

Nephtis

I never even said anything about refusing to date someone that doesn't shave. I can find a feature of somebody unattractive and still find the person attractive.

Not me. I would not date (or at least, not take a date seriously) someone that didn't shave their legs / armpits. It's a deal breaker for me - even if it was just to have a one night stand.

Having said that, it's disgusting that anyone would shame or threaten someone for going against the grain with how society decides how someone is "supposed" to look like.

Drain You

I think the person you quoted and responded to was actually agreeing with you, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I read it.

I just don't feel this is an appropriate topic to be bringing that sort of thing up in, and is extremely rude to the woman who was threatened with rape because of it - and that people saying stuff like that continues to promote an environment where people react to women who don't shave their legs.
But, whatever.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I’m so tired of BS like this, like what the hell is wrong with men? Like get over yourselves.

TraBuch

Banned
I just don't feel this is an appropriate topic to be bringing that sort of thing up in, and is extremely rude to the woman who was threatened with rape because of it - and that people saying stuff like that continues to promote an environment where people react to women who don't shave their legs.
But, whatever.
There was zero offense intended. Just an off-the-cuff remark saying how ridiculous it is that threats would be thrown out for such a nothing reason. "As much as the next guy" is just a common idiom. It doesn't mean that I literally think all guys find hairy legs unattractive.

I've been rocking unshaved legs + shorts pretty much all summer. No one's said a thing, thankfully.

Bunch of hateful cowards, I'm sorry Arvida has to deal with it.

Get used to leg hair, people. At least for women who want to keep it. The idea that women need to artificially modify their bodies to be beautiful is on its way out. It was only around for a hundred years or so anyway.

kinda hope that it goes the other way and hairless bodies are also demanded of men. #hairlessfuture

Zolo

I always find models that have imperfections (at least by standard society standards) to be interesting. I was playing Yakuza 0 which has the videos of actual models, and one of the things I thought was neat was how their teeth was actually somewhat yellowish when I'm used to movie stars having perfect whites.

rjinaz

We need to get over this whole “women have no hair on their bodies except their heads.” Bullshit. Women have hair. Let them have hair.

Yeah I feel like I have been conditioned to find hair on women, well frankly, gross.

But really the more I have thought about it, the more I realize that it's the shaving that is unnatural. If I were a woman I'd probably go without shaving my legs frequently, that sounds like quite the hassle.

we need to get over this whole controlling women thing.

Yes, I agree. Men should not be the ultimate dictators on how women should look.

I agree, but it's definitely not just men. They're almost certainly doing the rape threats. But beauty standards and products are strongly marketed by females for females as well. Good luck getting rid of this one IMO, I think it's far too ingrained and a lot of big businesses have products built around it etc.

Is it weird that I find her dress a bit more unsettling than her hairy legs? What the fuck is she wearing? Looks like she dug up a Victorian era princess's corpse and stole her dress.

Is it weird that I find her dress a bit more unsettling than her hairy legs? What he fuck is she wearing? Looks like she dug up a Victorian era princess's corps and stole her dress.

Lol, I thought the same exact thing, I wasn't even looking at her legs. Like a short fitted rose/pink turtleneck, with a white victorian corset/dress? People can wear whatever they want, but

693.gif

So many conflicting elements.

The idea that women need to artificially modify their bodies to be beautiful is on its way out. It was only around for a hundred years or so anyway.

I mean, I'm not going to comment on the first part, but the second part is demonstrably untrue. Cosmetic modification of ones body, including hair removal extends far back through the Renaissance to the Ancient Roman era. It is far from simply a side effect of Western narcissism and popular media.

Top Bottom