• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite backgrounds in 2-D Fighters?

Platy

I love the ones with fanservice ... so puzzle fighter stages and mostly

VTyqc.gif

and
crimzonflame said:

----------------------------------------------------------

Emugif.com is a good site for stages ... it is not perfect (sorry, no jojo) but has lots of ones !
(the menu is not firefox/chrome friendly)

Like the ones above and below ...

Emotions said:
Palace of Versailles (Charlotte' Stage) in Samurai Shodown...

aNLAy.gif

ElFly said:
Oh man. Ryu's snowy stage was also great.

I tried to find a screenshot of it, failed and instead got artwork of the stages

http://www.sfgalleries.net/art/sfa2/backgrounds/

7kR7r.gif

also
Zero 2 stages
Zero 2 Alpha stages

Korigama said:
Most of the backgrounds from KoF 2000, particularly the aquarium and the warehouse.

XAk8c.gif

(also a favorite)

UuuEC.gif

AzureJericho said:
Whoa, nice to see Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Saviour locales get mentioned. Fetus of God would be all kinds of fucked up but awesome. I'd also put down a vote for Yun/Yang's, Elena's & Ken's stages in Third Strike.

Street III stages to don't overload the post (those gifs are HUGE)

luka said:
AaDY3.png

If you looked at anything from Garou, KoF, SFZero, SF3, Vampire Savior, Samurai Spirits, or Bakumatsu Romance you will find so much gorgeous and mindblowing art that could never be replicated today.

This is one of my favorites. The sense of depth is so creative.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Threi said:
VS is probably the winner for the amount of good stages it has, but for something recent:

m1npl.jpg

love this stage sooooooooo much.
TOO MANY DIMENSIONS.

But yeah that and the Construction Building stage are the two best stages in the SFIV series, funny they were both introduced in SSFIV.

-Eddman-

Wow at Capcom/SNK pixel artists in the late 90's. Their stuff is just out of this world.

Some of my favorites:

T. Hawk's stage in Super SFII. (Hospicio Cabañas in my hometown, Guadalajara)

md12k4.jpg

Cathedral from Mortal Kombat 3.

The_temple.png

Chizuru's stage from KOF '96.

kof96-chizuru.png

Sorry I couldn't find a better pic, bu Jago stage from Killer Instinct (Arcade).

killerinstinct1.jpg

Judderman said:
I was playing Vampire Savior training mode on this stage a couple weeks ago and realized that I was fighting on the side of a building. Mind blowing moment for me.
Holy shit, I never noticed that. Dunno why, but I always saw it as some sort of space station hangar. (Which makes no sense in the context of Darkstalkers now that I think about it...)

Platy said:
XAk8c.gif

(also a favorite)
As nice as this one looks, I really dislike backgrounds that feature a crowd that is completely indifferent or oblivious to two or more people beating the living daylights out of each other just eight feet away.

My favorite stages are the ones with the huge rowdy crowds, who are into the fight. Also when they react to special moves and such, by falling down, backing up or getting even more excited, like in Street Fighter IV.

This is one of the biggest reasons I enjoyed Pit Fighter so much. You actually got to interact and fight the crowd when they went beyond just pushing you back into the arena.

Not as pretty and artistic as the others, but very lively.

pit-fighter-1.jpg

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Holy shit, I never noticed that. Dunno why, but I always saw it as some sort of space station hangar. (Which makes no sense in the context of Darkstalkers now that I think about it...)
I thought I was the only one.

mollipen

Any good source for all of the sprite rip backdrops showing up in this thread? I'm trying to find a particular Capcom vs. SNK stage to contribute, but no luck so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Izayoi said:
I really love BlazBlue backgrounds. They look even more gorgeous in motion.

http://i.imgur.com/WBE5X.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6plGP.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LuTzL.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Holy shit, I feel terrible for not owning this game now.

Izayoi

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Holy shit, I feel terrible for not owning this game now.
It really is an awesome game. Arcsys knows their shit, and it is easily one of the most gorgeous fighters ever released. The backgrounds and HD sprites are top notch.

ZMmzd.jpg

fry5W.jpg

ggLpn.jpg

Mr Jared

Lots of great ones mentioned but I have to throw in "Crowded Downtown" from Street Fighter IV. It was obviously the blue print for how all the stages were supposed to play out. Fantastic music and a TON of action going on in the background, along with special situations that play out depending on what happens in the match. You can tell they put way too much effort into making it because every other stage in vanilla SF4 looks extremely bland while everything made afterward is just as busy.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm going to get a shaming for this, but after SFII myself and nobody else I've known in the UK has ever played the Street Fighter sequels or King of Fighters. Now I regret it - This is art, even if I find the characters tacky.

KOF and Last Blade ones being the best so far.

Top Bottom