• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Why on hell a game has a demo with EN VA but no final name?

I'm guessing they'll just wind up being stuck with it. ("Bravely Default" is still preposterous; it's only grown on me because the game is superb.)

Even if they changed it, people would call it Project Octopath Traveler anyway out of rigidity and habit, the way you occasionally come across folks who still refer to Code Name: STEAM as "Project STEAM" solely from old rumours founded in a pre-announcement trademark filing.

Music is great. Game looks amazing. I need it now, it's exactly my kind of thing.

The voice acting is...adequate. I changed to Japanese which I've never done before.

EDarkness

Damn, this game is awesome. The look of it, the music...damn. I'll definitely be picking this up when it comes out. The story isn't light hearted at all, which is surprising. I'll have to put more time into it later. Gotta start cooking.

Everything about this game is right.

Very smart of them to release a demo and ask for feedback.

The team at Square Enix behind these new IPs (Warriors of Light, Bravely and Octopath) is the best thing to happen to Square Enix in a long time.

Memory

Voice acting is solid. Edge screen blur is bad. Music is amazing. Dialogue is dark as fuck. Bloom way to fucking bright. Christ.

I really hope they don't lighten it up, i love how dark Primrose's story is
that scene with the little girl and her dad is subtle but effective and compliments the "masters" in your face abuse perfectly

Day one for me, can't wait.

Rynam

Is there an option to turn off voice acting? Since it's old school I feel like no voice is more appropriate.

You can just turn the slider for Speaking Volume to zero, that should stop voice acting i think.
DJpD_AWUEAAY3mo.jpg:orig

There's also both english and japanese VA, i like that. But i hope they include even more VA like a german one.

sotojuan

Just beat some brigands as the guy - battle system is pretty cool. I was dumb and didn't use abilities till the end so I kinda wasted my healing items. It seems that your regular attacks don't do that much damage.

So I wonder if that drawing is just for fun, or if this game actually takes place in the same universe pre-Bravely Default.

I'm leaning towards "just for fun", but I wouldn't mind being wrong!
Could be the same multiverse since Bravely Default is made up of multiple worlds. All we need is an ingame cameo from a dimension hopper like a celestial realm denizen or
Ringabel

Is there a way to delete demos played on our user profile? I absolutely hate that Splatoon 2 and Arms Testfire/punch are on there and it INFURIATES me every tie I go through it.

I made an alternate account to download the Octpath demo for now, but I'd like to solve the problem permanently instead of working around it. Especially since the damage has been done.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You can just turn the slider for Speaking Volume to zero, that should stop voice acting i think.
DJpD_AWUEAAY3mo.jpg:orig

There's also both english and japanese VA, i like that. But i hope they include even more VA like a german one.

How did you search for it in the shop? i can't find it.

Really love what they've done with the art direction. I turned the voices off though, the acting was okay but not great, and I prefer imagining my own character voices for a game like this anyway.

Nairume

Banned
Yo, this game is really fucking good so far.

If the rest of the game keeps up this quality, this might be one of SquareEnix's best games in years.

The 8 Wanderer's Paths

Toss in Final Fantasy before or after. Octopath sounds like a Japanese college student's try-hard to make a cool sounding English name... see also Bravely Default. Translation: Sqee isn't going to change the name.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Mh, I don't like that some text is so small. For example the infos about the items you have.

It's under the coming soon category on the eshop, need to scroll to it.

Ah thanks.

The 8 Wanderer's Paths

Toss in Final Fantasy before or after. Octopath sounds like a Japanese college student's try-hard to make a cool sounding English name... see also Bravely Default. Translation: Sqee isn't going to change the name.

This game is definitely going to be rated M and I'm not sure they want to do an M rated Final Fantasy game though.

Milennia

i wonder how long this game will be per character playthrough, seems like it would be a little shorter considering the multiple angles

Necro900

The game plays great, this demo has definitely awarded them lots of purchases, mine included!

Art style is brilliant, battles are fast and satisfying (love the "levels of attack" mechanic). Now, I hope I'll be able to return to the village before the demo ends cause that guy beside the house on the left handed me my ass multiple times and I'm bitter as fuck.
I need to level up to beat him, though

I'm so excited for this, been waiting for a good traditional turn based RPG on the Switch since DQXI has been mum. Looks gorgeous too.

How extensive is the demo?

Strings

Fantastic music so far. Dialogue exchanges are also thankfully pretty snappy - Bravely Default and Second had the awful habit of droning on and on and on... (having to stick to speech bubbles instead of a separate dialogue screen helps keep the writers in check I guess)

I'm so excited for this, been waiting for a good traditional turn based RPG on the Switch since DQXI has been mum. Looks gorgeous too.

How extensive is the demo?

Hopefully as extensive as the Bravely demos (~5-6 hours to do everything) :p

I thought this was the game of show (cause I don't want to give it to Mario. That's unfair). Looking forward to it, and will download the demo.

Top Bottom