• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verdict on White People Reciting Rap Lyrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've all been there. One of your white friends is having a good time and enjoying the beat--at karaoke, or maybe singing along with the Tupac song spilling out of macbook speakers at a shitty house party, or hell, just spitting a capella like he was in a wannabe cypher--and suddenly the entire room tenses up as he gets closer and closer to the line where 2Pac or 2Chainz or whoever the fuck it is kids listen to these days throws in a "nigga."

What will he do? Will he deliver a 100% faithful rendition, cashing in whatever cultural currency he earned by memorizing all the words to a three minute single? Will he mumble through the line in question, as if tiptoeing across a dangerous minefield? Pull one of those "to all my [ehh]'s out there" where he replaces "nigga" with a slight gasp and head bob, getting back on beat in time for the "s" (or "z", as the case may be)? Or perhaps just say "ninja" instead?

How do you react when someone does this? If you're the one rapping, which tack do you take? Does it depend on the racial/ethnic composition of the room?

(Not a bait thread; legitimately interested in people's thoughts.)

strafer

I recite this all the time.

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks
Lick on these nuts and suck the dick
Get the fuck out after you're done
And I hope in my ride to make a quick run...

BHK3

Banned
I don't know anyone that big of a wigger, who do you hang out with? I occasionally recite a few lines from souljas boys hit song "I'm so fresh" whenever I play with my friends though but nothing past that.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I say nigga, because I'm not a racist.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
uDtTb.jpg

danwarb

Why do white people who rap all do it in such high pitched voices? Not all white people have high pitched voices.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
But its not like Black people have any magical rapping abilities in any of these situations, so racial tensions aside you are talking about people who can't rap well, rapping. Ergo shit. in some ways worse than bad singing, because even out of tune lyrics are comprehensible.

Anemone

Neo Member
If you pick the song, you sing it. The best way to "pull it off" is just to say it like any other word and not freak out about it. I don't think anyone really gives a rats ass at karaoke unless it's obvious that you're doing it to be derogatory.

Don't have any friends that are into rap. But if I had and they were singing along with a song they like wich has nigga in it and they say it I wouldn't give a shit because it's not used in a racist context.

Riggs

Banned
If the lyrics say nigga then I'll say nigga.

People are smart enough to realize that I'm reciting rap lyrics.

That's what every white person thinks until Katt Williams is beating the shit out of them with a hardened opium cane.

Jk btw Katt Williams couldn't beat up anyone.

alphaNoid

Banned
I say nigga because its the word in the song, don't like it? Blame the artist. I don't see anything wrong with repeating what's in the song. I've gotten weird looks before, but the trick is I don't give a shit.

MIMIC

Banned
Some of my white friends actually asked me this very question. I was honest and said that I would prefer if they didn't say it in my presence. And they didn't. No drama.

I mean, how hard is it to either 1) omit the word or 2) replace it with another word (like they do here). Just like if a lyric had the word "bitch" in it, I would omit it if in the presence of a female. But that's just me.

Riggs

Banned
Some of my white friends actually asked me this very question. I was honest and said that I would prefer if they didn't say it in my presence. And they didn't. No drama.

I mean, how hard is it to either 1) omit the word or 2) replace it with another word (like they do here)

Least you were honest I asked my black friend this he told me to stop being a pussy lol.

Wilbur

Banned
I just say it. I'm singing the song. I performed Niggas In Paris in a club last week where you go pick a song and a live band play (glorified fucking karaoke), people went cray for it. Got like 4 drinks bought for me after.

It makes you look worse if you actively avoid it I think.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wouldn't be offended. It's a song. I'd like to think that I wouldn't hang out with racists, so I wouldn't take it that way.

I mean, how hard is it to either 1) omit the word or 2) replace it with another word (like they do here)

it's only ever as awkward as you make it. If someone said they aren't cool with white people saying it then I'd just rather do anything else than try to think up replacement lyrics in karaoke

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I always use the original lyrics. Replacement words are fucking bullshit. If I am doing a performance it is going to be done right.

malyce

They're reciting the lyrics to a song... you'd have to be a pretty narrow minded black person to take offense.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Doesn't bother me as I don't hang around people that rap lyrics. Though it is annoying to have to hear people rap or sing in public places regardless of what color they are.

Lebron

I just tell my friends not to say the N word around me if it's present in the song. They can rap all the want, but you better censor it unless you want to deal with the checking that will sure as hell follow.

If I don't know you we're gonna have problems. I wanna know where your momma from, where your daddy from. Fuck that where your grandma stay at? If I don't like your answers we're gonna have beef homie.

I just tell my friends not to say the N word around me if it's present in the song. They can rap all the want, but you better censor it unless you want to deal with the checking that will sure as hell follow.
So you threaten friends with violence cause they recite lyrics accurately even though you know they aren't being racist in anyway?

I was going to say be faithful to the song, but Ninja is just too damn funny. I WILL find a way to use Ninja next time I do the karaoke thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom