• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

If DMC5 is anything like DMC4, then I'd rather have DmC2, honestly.

Yeah... it'd be a gamble for me, at least. I'm both anxious to see a DMC5 by the original team that fixes the common gripes with DMC4 (the repeated levels and bosses at the very least) but given how impressed I am with DmC's combat for the most part, I also want to know if NT could improve.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm almost 300% sure Capcom would turn a devil hunting mission structure into a grinding shitfest.

Suddenly, I'm having PTSD flashbacks from Peace Walker. (this is not a Capcom/Konami joke just another franchise that took on a piecemeal mission structure that I did not quite like)

It'd be cool if they make it sorta like NG's mission mode where you have to fight waves of enemies with special conditions. They can even throw in multiple bosses -- granted they design it to have them play well with others.

Hell they can even take cues from Hitman: Absolution and Final Fantasy XII (hunts/marks) and create a meta-game where you take on special and unique targets that have hidden themselves in existing levels. That'd be pretty cool.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know I'm just some random guy on the internet that you don't know, and you're more than entitled to be angry at whatever you want.

However, just some advice from a friendly source. If this game's existence is seriously making you angry and you feel that this game is that important to you, I think you may want to take a step back from gaming, man. These are just games. They're meant for fun and that's it. Just my opinion, but they shouldn't mean that much to you in the grand scheme of your life.

Just random advice that's probably meaningless, but yeah.

You're probably right, man. But it is what it is.

Dahbomb

As far as what Capcom can REALISTICALLY make a DMC5 game and still would make me happy would include the following:

*Updated combat system from DMC4. Nero has a few more weapons and Dante has a few more weapons/abilities that he can change from his current set up. I would be perfectly fine with them replacing Nero with Vergil as well and opting to go for a new system based around Vergil. Please keep hard lock on. It wouldn't be a big leap over DMC4 at all but even small modifications to the DMC4 system is enough at this point. What they need to do is x copy the tips and loading screen stuff from DmC so people have an idea of what they can actually do in the combat system.

*Better enemy AI and designs. I felt like Capcom made a good step with DMC4 but it's not quite where it should be. I want more focus to be put on challenging enemy encounters. I also felt that DmC had some good ideas (and some bad ones) that the Japanese team could learn from.

*Bosses on par with the older DMC series. More humanoid, mid sized bosses with a lot of tools vs giant blob sized enemies with like 4-5 attacks only.

*Updated graphics engine. I want more detail in the environments as compared to the offerings of DMC4 but I want it to run it on 60FPS. With next-gen hardware this is not a difficult request.

*I wouldn't mind if they kept the platforming or improved it but I want a slightly different level design formula than what we are used to now. It's next gen so it should give them an excuse to go for a bigger scope. If they keep the platforming they need to add more gimmicks to it or just make it take up less of the game because there is a shit ton of platforming in DmC that I just didn't care for.

*This is probably the hardest request IMO but I want a decent story for once with good characters. No I don't want Lady/Trish shoehorned in just for fan service purposes. I want Dante to act his age sometimes in the game and I want him to be mentally/physically challenged for once. All in all if it has Vergil, SWAG AS FUCK cutscenes and the story isn't garbage, I would probably be OK with it.

*They need to add at least one new feature to DMC that pushes the genre forward. I have a few ideas for it but I want Capcom to surprise me. A new mode like Bloody Palace, a customizable arena, a multiplayer mode.. anything new that they can supplement the campaign with. Aside from this feature they better not skimp on any other feature meaning I want BP, Turbo mode, more costumes, all difficulty modes etc.

*NO backtracking, mission retreads or boss repeats (unless the boss is a big part of the story AND greatly changes from each encounter like Vergil) or Dice/Gyro puzzles or Swimming/Flying missions. Please I don't want to see this shit in a DMC game again. DMC4 would've been an excellent action game were it not for some of these factors and it's one of the main reason I feel the old series deserves another chance to provide a more focused experience.

Hmm. Got my rental copy yesterday. I'm going to be honest. I can write a review from two whole different perspectives.

There is A LOT that Ninja theory got right, even if the overall game is weaker.

Simple things like secret missions being able to accessed from the main menu, the training room etc.

I'm actually taking my time with the game and rather than rushing to complete it, I'm just replaying missions I like. I have played under siege a good 5 times today.

As far as what Capcom can REALISTICALLY make a DMC5 game and still would make me happy would include the following:

*Updated combat system from DMC4. Nero has a few more weapons and Dante has a few more weapons/abilities that he can change from his current set up. I would be perfectly fine with them replacing Nero with Vergil as well and opting to go for a new system based around Vergil. Please keep hard lock on. It wouldn't be a big leap over DMC4 at all but even small modifications to the DMC4 system is enough at this point. What they need to do is x copy the tips and loading screen stuff from DmC so people have an idea of what they can actually do in the combat system.

*Better enemy AI and designs. I felt like Capcom made a good step with DMC4 but it's not quite where it should be. I want more focus to be put on challenging enemy encounters. I also felt that DmC had some good ideas (and some bad ones) that the Japanese team could learn from.

*Bosses on par with the older DMC series. More humanoid, mid sized bosses with a lot of tools vs giant blob sized enemies with like 4-5 attacks only.

*Updated graphics engine. I want more detail in the environments as compared to the offerings of DMC4 but I want it to run it on 60FPS. With next-gen hardware this is not a difficult request.

*I wouldn't mind if they kept the platforming or improved it but I want a slightly different level design formula than what we are used to now. It's next gen so it should give them an excuse to go for a bigger scope. If they keep the platforming they need to add more gimmicks to it or just make it take up less of the game because there is a shit ton of platforming in DmC that I just didn't care for.

*This is probably the hardest request IMO but I want a decent story for once with good characters. No I don't want Lady/Trish shoehorned in just for fan service purposes. I want Dante to act his age sometimes in the game and I want him to be mentally/physically challenged for once. All in all if it has Vergil, SWAG AS FUCK cutscenes and the story isn't garbage, I would probably be OK with it.

*They need to add at least one new feature to DMC that pushes the genre forward. I have a few ideas for it but I want Capcom to surprise me. A new mode like Bloody Palace, a customizable arena, a multiplayer mode.. anything new that they can supplement the campaign with. Aside from this feature they better not skimp on any other feature meaning I want BP, Turbo mode, more costumes, all difficulty modes etc.

*NO backtracking, mission retreads or boss repeats (unless the boss is a big part of the story AND greatly changes from each encounter like Vergil) or Dice/Gyro puzzles or Swimming/Flying missions. Please I don't want to see this shit in a DMC game again. DMC4 would've been an excellent action game were it not for some of these factors and it's one of the main reason I feel the old series deserves another chance to provide a more focused experience.

How would you feel if they just released a game with the all-around quality of DMC4, and do you feel any differently after Capcom attempted a reboot of the series?

What I mean is, there's the "New Coke" theory that Capcom meant to disappoint fans and do a reset of expectations because the only DMC5 that fans would be satisfied with would be one of the greatest action games of all time. Now the narrative around DmC is "it's a Ninja Theory game that doesn't play all that bad!" versus "This isn't as good as DMC3, try harder Capcom", which is how DMC5 might've been received.

Dahbomb

If Capcom released a game that was overall as good as DMC4 with a better story/characters AND had no backtracking/retread... I would be fine by it. I wouldn't declare it on the level of DMC1/DMC3 because it wouldn't be a revolutionary title but I would be a satisfied consumer and happy playing another solid OG DMC game. I know other people wouldn't really care for it but the question was addressed to me and that's how I feel about that.

You definitely have a point in that releasing DmC has changed my expectations a bit. I would be ecstatic over an announcement of a DMC5 but I would be critical of it regardless. Some of the stuff that DmC introduced SHOULD rightfully be incorporated into DMC5. Every DMC game is an experience to be learned from and built upon.

So if DMC5 ships without training mode, loading screen tips, secret missions available from menus etc. I would be disappointed because that would be a step back.

Uncle Dante and Nero go to hell to save Vergil.

Unlock grown man Vergil after finishing the game.

Dahbomb May Cry

And an inevitable showdown/meeting between Nero and Vergil. Nero is gonna be like "who the hell are you?" and Vergil is gonna want his Yamato back! Or better yet, let's also see a corrupted/scarred version of Yamato!

And Dante can sit in the back eating pizzas and say

He.Has.Fucking.Returned.

Calcaneus

I feel like when game journalists call gamers entitled for whatever reason, its never about something they themselves care about.

If you didn't care about the old DMC games but for some reason are into the new one, its easy to dismiss complaints as unreasonable.

But sit half of them down and ask them their opinion on the Star Wars franchise, and they will have a rant ready for you even though its been like 8 years since the last movie came out.

Am I the only one bugged by there being only the one neutral weapon, instead of 2 like the angel/demon ones have?

I think they should have gave the whip an attacking form in addition to the pulling uses. Mapped it to down on the D-Pad, just to appease my need for symmetry.

TimeInc

A thing that has annoyed me with all these game journalists is when DmC was annoyed they started saying, the franchised needed a new direction, and it was getting stale. There was never any complaints about this beforehand, and Devil May Cry 4 got very solid reviews.

And an inevitable showdown/meeting between Nero and Vergil. Nero is gonna be like "who the hell are you?" and Vergil is gonna want his Yamato back! Or better yet, let's also see a corrupted/scarred version of Yamato!

And Dante can sit in the back eating pizzas and say

He.Has.Fucking.Returned.

Nah, Vergil is like, "Yo, let me cop that, son" and Nero's like, "Nah, homie. I need that power." Then Vergil says "Yo, you like power too?" "Hell yeah, I'm all about that power."

"Son?"
"Dad?"

2laScvk.jpg

Sparda: The fuck is going on round here?

Don't image search Nero and Vergil

A thing that has annoyed me with all these game journalists is when DmC was annoyed they started saying, the franchised needed a new direction, and it was getting stale. There was never any complaints about this beforehand, and Devil May Cry 4 got very solid reviews.

I seem to remember something similar...the only review I can remember off the top of my head is Game Informer's, and I think it was game of the month. Anyway, I also feel that DMC4 really suffered in its development. When I play the missions again from the start, it is clear that the missions and enemies were designed around Nero, and the gameplay involved and evolved around Devil Bringer. Also, while the background is not as dynamic as DmC, overall in DMC4 the background has some ridiculous high level of texture and detail, not to mention cutscenes.

I have always wondered if the DMC4 team started with some really big ideas and down the road realized the budget and time constraints

toasty_T said:
Vergil and Nero's family moment

LOL

Then Vergil is going to disown Nero after finding out Nero only wants that power for Kyrie

ezekial45

Banned
What I mean is, there's the "New Coke" theory that Capcom meant to disappoint fans and do a reset of expectations because the only DMC5 that fans would be satisfied with would be one of the greatest action games of all time. Now the narrative around DmC is "it's a Ninja Theory game that doesn't play all that bad!" versus "This isn't as good as DMC3, try harder Capcom", which is how DMC5 might've been received.

That's extremely silly and it would be a tremendous waste of time for all those involved in this game.

How would you feel if they just released a game with the all-around quality of DMC4, and do you feel any differently after Capcom attempted a reboot of the series?

Capcom is a bad company but that's some chemtrails level stuff right there.

Christ Mundus Spawn is a terrible boss. I'm on my second run through the game and it's impossible to see what's going on and it really highlights the lack of lock-on.

skarabrae

Banned
I'm generally not one to toot my own horn when it comes to my website and reviews, but I suppose I should toss up my flame shield up and post a link to my review here. This is the first review I've written in a very long time, so I hope it makes sense ^_^;;

Overall, I thought the game was well done and probably my favorite Ninja Theory game. It's just a shame that it seems like people are making the whole Dante make-over thing into too big of a deal.

I have been watching playthroughs on youtube...Maxmilian's no less.

No I am not giving a review here. I will echo that the cutscenes/character development make much more sense given the progression of the game

That video got boring about a minute in. There's practically no threat once you're in the air with enough fodder to keep you up

With how easy it is to stay elevated, not having multiple intimidating air-based enemies is a horrible oversight

Dereck

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That video got boring about a minute in. There's practically no threat once you're in the air with enough fodder to keep you up

With how easy it is to stay elevated, not having multiple intimidating air-based enemies is a horrible oversight

This was the main thing I was thinking about while watching it. Most enemies provide no risk to you from midair, and it's incredibly easy to stay elevated.

BadAss2961

This was the main thing I was thinking about while watching it. Most enemies provide no risk to you from midair, and it's incredibly easy to stay elevated.
Plus the strikes are kinda herky jerky. Something 60fps won't completely fix since it's just the way he animates.

I played the game for a few hours today and wow I LOVED IT! I'm on mission 7 right now. The game is really fun...except the
Succubus
fight was GOD AWFUL! I don't think anyone can defend that. I did laugh when
Vergil was telling Dante that the demons spiked the one drink to brainwash the people because originally in the demo everyone thought Dante was douchey for slapping it out of the guys hand, BUT he was actually doing a good deed!

I REALLY like this game...glad I played it today. Ni no Kuni does come in the mail tomorrow though...;)

Nothing has been taken away from you. I'm not saying you aren't angry. You clearly are. I'm saying being angry is totally unreasonable.

GuardianE has been angry with this game for about two years now. I and nobody else should be surprised that....he's still upset. I'm sure he'd hit the detonate button if there were bombs at Ninja Theory's office.

I'm generally not one to toot my own horn when it comes to my website and reviews, but I suppose I should toss up my flame shield up and post a link to my review here. This is the first review I've written in a very long time, so I hope it makes sense ^_^;;

Overall, I thought the game was well done and probably my favorite Ninja Theory game. It's just a shame that it seems like people are making the whole Dante make-over thing into too big of a deal.

You gave the game a 9/10? Dude, how much did Capcom pay you?!? -signed, DMC gamefaqs user

I found some short combo clips nothing too outrageous just few combos in training mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb7eacRlDqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNN9d_jEBEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6Q1fcLI7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehyjyqE8III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a31ayE9mpM

Haha the last combo was pretty funny. Here's a small DMD video from a "high level" DMC4 player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZODJ67SmNs

That last combo looks hilarious as fuck. It's called the "UFO".

As for more combo videos. I think it's a combination of the game only being out a week, and the fact that those who care to make combo videos, 60 fps means a metric ton more to them than to others. Also consider that there exists no action game at 30 fps in which there is a big combo video making community. Waiting a few days for the superior PC version which also makes it easier to capture footage is a no brainer. Also, it'd be a lot easier to make a combo video when Bloody Palace comes out. There doesn't really exist an infinite respawn room designed purely for combat in DmC, unlike in DMC3 with the coffin enemies. I sure as shit know that I'll make videos when I get the PC version running at 200 fps (the feel of 400) with my 240hz PC monitor at bloody palace.

mandas

Neo Member
Do you REALLY REALLY think one of the "haters" made that pettition? In all honesty, it looks like something one of the "haters gonna hate" crowd would create.

I wondered about that too. It looked like a joke. It didn't address anything as far as why.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Neh they said those things then too, it's just it was mostly dissapointment that it was the next gen sequel of DMC 3. Also going by the 7-10 review scale DMC 4 got pretty medicore reviews.

So what are the chances that NT actually patches in

1) Enemy attacks that prevent you going into the air all the time
2) Better style meter
?

PC version out in 2 days - already told them I'm going to be sick that day at work...

I've been giving it some thought and I now find the portrayal of vergil in this game far more offensive than I ever found donte, tgs trailer included. They just threw away everything about the character that was badass, and in return turned in into a swarmy manipulative cunt. Vergil of old was a man of honor, even as nelo angleo,
he hated guns and only saught power for his own protection, not because he wanted to lord over people.

say what you want about DmC Dante but he still has some element of the og personality. Vergil is just another character with the sane name shoehorned in for fan service.

I always thought it was Capcom as a company that had a hard-on for Western games, not Japanese consumers.

Are these figures actually surprising?

Is 115.438 that good for a DMC title though? Seems a little on the low side.

You can't really compare sales directly to older DMC games, the industry sales wise is very different now then it was back then. Game sales in general have been down pretty much yearly at this point.

For the best results you would need to compare it to other similar releases coming out recently.

Top Bottom