• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Lair [DS] first screens

king zell

Dragon's Lair DS will be arcade accurate, lifting its video assets from the remastered high-definition HD version released on the PC and, more recently, on Blu-Ray. Players will have the ability to play the game in different ways: held normally on a single screen, or, as shown, across both screens while holding the unit in its "book" form a la Brain Age. The conversion will feature the arcade perfect mode as well as the updated "home" version that added a handful of extra scenes.

dual-screen-dragons-lair-20070626040006841.jpg
dual-screen-dragons-lair-20070626040007779.jpg

interview

http://ds.ign.com/articles/799/799565p1.html

This looks horrible, and I was a big fan of the original Dragon Lair games, along with Space Ace. The space between the two screens shouldnt split the picture like that, it looks terrible. Without trying to troll or anything (I love my DS) this is a game better suited for PSP.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Do they have to release this "Game" on everything? Hell its on Blu-Ray, Laserdisc, that Phillips thing, make it stop!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
all this does is remind me I should buy the old game boy dragon's lair someday.

Banned
I don't care about this game, but it's just another reason why nintendo should, and will, release the DSultrawesome with no gap in the dual screens. Would sure as hell help in Yoshi's island...

Xiaoki

Joe Molotov said:
No, but back in the 1980's, thousands of people were tricked into believing it was.
Yeah, because here in 2007 we NEVER get games that are all graphics and no gameplay anymore.

Bad idea all around. I mean, who comes up with this crap? How about a DS port of Space Ace for the bad idea hat trick.

Banned
hahahah! I guess though if they did put the screens together, or extended teh screens down, there'd be nothing there to display unless it was written for it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The scary thing is that I'd buy this, just because.

I am SLIGHTLY curious about these "extra scenes" the mutter about.

_Angelus_

Banned
Jcgamer60 said:
Well, don't you have anything intelligent to say other than insulting me for no reason?

When you come along and ignorantly rip a game that was huge for its time you deserve to have your ass ripped.

Joe Molotov

Xiaoki said:
Yeah, because here in 2007 we NEVER get games that are all graphics and no gameplay anymore.

Sure, some games appear to have more attention spent on graphics than gameplay, but Dragon's Lair was literally all the about the graphics. It was basically a cartoon with maybe 20-30 QTE's thrown in to give it the appearance that you were playing it. I like Don Bluth's animation as much as anyone, but Dragon's Lair and it's spawn just really weren't that great as games.

he's right. this is one of the worst games ever. worse than e.t., worse than superman 64, worse than legend of kage, worse than micheal jordon:chaos in the windy city. its that bad

_Angelus_

Banned
Shakes head. Some of you kids really need to go back and see how games like this paved the way for cinematic games like Final Fantasy and ShenMue. It may have been a simon sez game,but the crowds it attracted,the sense of urgency when playing,it all was a nice experience for its time.

* Dual-Screen (book-style) & Single Screen Support (top-down default mode)

"This means that players have two modes of play; one is a single screen mode (bottom screen) true to the original with score and stats on the top screen; from a settings menu the player can opt for the more elegant dual-screen mode."

quote from the interview

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
OH BOY DRAGON'S LAIR

AGAIN

AND AGAIN

AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN

I LOVE OLD GAMES WITH NO GAME PLAY

Well, it was kind of cool to see it on the Gameboy Color...

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Angelus said:
Shakes head. Some of you kids really need to go back and see how games like this paved the way for cinematic games like Final Fantasy and ShenMue. It may have been a simon sez game,but the crowds it attracted,the sense of urgency when playing,it all was a nice experience for its time.

That experience was on a full screen monitor, this is on a split-screen ds lite.

Edit: Does include single screen gameplay after all.

Joe Molotov

Angelus said:

The only thing it paved the way for was a bunch of crappy "Me-Too" Interactive Movies that polluted the CD-ROM gaming market for years, before someone finally figured out that you could put actual gameplay on a CD-ROM game. Text Adventures had as much to do with paving the way for cinematic games as Dragon's Lair did.

turk128

Angelus said:
Seriously, this game was a crowd pleaser back then. I know someone who baught the freakin' arcade and played it so much, he was able to beat the game with his eyes closed (he demonstated this to us, too).

Too bad they're doing a half-arse job with this, it could be a great adventure game on the DS (toss in some Quest for Glory style RPG elements and you got my pre-order).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Angelus said:

I think it's more like the game paved the way for all the crappy game-play devoid FMV games that hit consoles and PCs some years later.

_Angelus_

Banned
lethial said:
That experience was on a full screen monitor, this is on a split-screen ds lite.

Edit: Does include single screen gameplay after all.

Heh-I wouldn't touch the game on a handheld either. I have the DVD version and still go back and play it from time to time. Thats all I need.

Saterium

Speaking of Dragon's Lair

Dragon's Lair (Arcade – 1983)
Dragon's Lair (Coleco Adam – 1984)
Dragon's Lair (Spectrum – 1986)
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle (Spectrum – 1987)
Dragon's Lair and Escape from Singe's Castle (Commodore 64 – 1987)
Dragon's Lair (Amiga – 1989)
Dragon's Lair (Apple IIGS – 1989)
Dragon's Lair (Atari ST – 1989)
Dragon's Lair (Macintosh – 1989)
Dragon's Lair (MS-DOS (PC) – 1989)
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Amiga – 1990)
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Apple IIGS – 1990)
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Atari ST – 1990)
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (Macintosh – 1990)
Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp (MS-DOS (PC) – 1990)
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle (Amiga – 1990)
Dragon's Lair (Nintendo NES – 1990)
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle (Apple IIGS – 1991)
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle (Atari ST – 1991)
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle (Macintosh – 1991)
Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle (MS-DOS (PC) – 1991)
Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp (Arcade – 1991)
Dragon's Lair: The Legend (Gameboy – 1991)
Dragon's Lair (SNES – 1992)
Dragon's Lair (CD-i – 1992)
Dragon's Lair III: The Curse of Mordread (Amiga – 1992)
Dragon's Lair III: The Curse of Mordread (Atari ST – 1992)
Dragon's Lair III: The Curse of Mordread (Macintosh – 1992)
Dragon's Lair III: The Curse of Mordread (MS-DOS (PC) – 1992)
Dragon's Lair (3DO – 1993)
Dragon's Lair (Sega CD – 1993)
Dragon's Lair CD-ROM (MS-DOS (PC) – 1993)
Dragon's Lair (Mega-CD (Genesis) – 1993)
Dragon's Lair 2: Timewarp (CD-i – 1994)
Dragon's Lair (Atari Jaguar CD – 1995)
Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp (Windows (PC) – 1997)
Dragon's Lair Deluxe Pack (Windows (PC) – 1997)
Dragon's Lair (DVD – 1998)
Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp (DVD – 1998)
Dragon's Lair (Gameboy Color – 2000)
Dragon's Lair: Arcade Authentic (Windows (PC) – 2001)
Dragon's Lair: 20th Anniversary (DVD – 2002)
Dragon's Lair II: Timewarp 20th Anniversary (DVD – 2002)
Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair (Gamecube - 2002 )
Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair (Windows (PC) - 2002 )
Dragon's Lair 3D: Return to the Lair (Xbox - 2002 )
Dragon's Lair 3D: Special Edition (Playstation 2 – 2003)
Dragon's Lair III (DVD – 2004)
Dragon's Lair III (Windows (PC) – 2004)
Dragon's Lair (Mobile – 2005)
Dragon's Lair HD (Windows (PC) – 2006)
Dragon's Lair (Blu-ray (PS3) - 2007)

Perhaps the DS version will make it out for the yearly 2008 release.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Saterium said:
Speaking of Dragon's Lair

Perhaps the DS version will make it out for the yearly 2008 release.
:lol Holy crap!

I would love to see a totally reworked Dragon's Lair...You know...One with gameplay.

Either hi-resolution 2D or 3D with perfect cel shading. I know that requires more work than porting it AGAIN but it would be nice.

Jive Turkey said:
:lol Holy crap!

I would love to see a totally reworked Dragon's Lair...You know...One with gameplay.

Either hi-resolution 2D or 3D with perfect cel shading. I know that requires more work than porting it AGAIN but it would be nice.
s13074_xb_14.jpg

Top Bottom