• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atheerios

k4LMP9P.png

Remember all the talk by Reggie of avoiding "clunky gamer headsets" on Switch? Well, this is just ridiculous.

Was just posted on Twitter by Hori: https://twitter.com/HORI__OFFICIAL/status/870203353707429888

We will need to plug the headset both to the phone and the console to be able to listen to other people and the game and the same time.

Seriously, what is Nintendo thinking?

More images:
DBOZDkhWsAAv7_t.jpg

DBOZE-7XcAAjA3Y.jpg

DBOZGHVW0AADzoZ.jpg

DBOVaVFUwAAXvyb.jpg

d6a0t9J.jpg

The controller's cables are only 0.5 m long.

Shiggy

HORI just announced a headset and an adapter for Switch to allow for both in-game sound and voice chat through the same headset. As Switch does voice chat through an Android and iOS app, which is launching this summer, such a setup appears to be necessary.

[Scheduled to be released on 21st July 2017] "Stereo Headset Empera Hook HDP for Nintendo Switch" will be released simultaneously with Splatoon 2! With a headset that reproduces the gear in the game, you can mix game sound and voice chat and listen! (¥ 3480 excluding tax)

https://twitter.com/HORI__OFFICIAL/status/870203353707429888

mclem

Ignoring for a minute the, ah, unusual nature of the solution, those are awesomely Splatoony headphones.

Jumeira

Banned
You sure ? Doesn't that mean you can connect via phone OR switch?

Because what they're proposing is unworkable

Zakalwe

Banned
I have a shit £20 smart phone at the moment. I don't see the point in anything better as I literally only use it for calls and texts. I use my laptop and tablet for browsing.

The phone is terrible for apps. It's going to be a nightmare using it for this. I love my Switch, but this might be a deal breaker for me in the long run.

Bleh, I guess I could just buy a second hand smart phone for it and it wouldn't be too costly, but this entire thing is rubbing me the wrong way.

It's still one of the greatest mysteries to me that Nintendo does the whole thing with a mobile phone.

Why not integrate a proper chat/voice chat and matchmaking program on the Switch itself?

I find that extra step via mobile phone highly unnecessary..

To be fair, this is how HORI expects us to do it. We haven't seen Nintendo's actual solution yet.

I was under the impression Nintendo's deal was that you only used the phone app to talk to people (like Discord), but wouldn't be able to hear in-game audio through the headphones too.

This, then, seems to be a third-party workaround.

jts

...hate me...
RIP voice-chat on Nintendo systems ????-2017

Even more of a mess for iPhone 7 users though.

But I finally understand how could phone voice chat work in conjunction with in-game audio. Although I guess you can sometimes just slum it with one headphone in for voice chat, and normal audio coming from TV or console, with no need for an adapter.

tsundoku

99% of americans are going to be pumping the game audio through their tv and have earbuds/speaker on their phone for discord/skype/etc if they use voice chat at all

this is just an accessory to ease things up on players who are already well accustomed to playing with a set of earbuds for voip on phone or laptop and over ear for controller audio on the wii u gamepad / dualshock 4 / etc

So they sell you an extra accessory AND they don't have to worry about implementing voice chat on the Switch?
I can see how it's advantageous... to them.

At least the mixer headset can probably be used on other devices. And it's Splatoon-branded in a discreet way!

Strings

Expecting a lot of "Always hated how you didn't need to use extra complicated shit on other platforms. This is the future!" #notbitter

Maybe I'm dumb because I never use voice chat, but why is this horrible?

Typically you just plug your headset into the controller. You don't need some kind of Switch switch to include your phone.

This seems like a really awkward way of handling voice chat. Is there any particular reason why they are doing it this way, as opposed to just through the console itself?

Whilst I am not too bothered about voice chat, for everyone else's sake I am hoping they patch in conventional voice chat down the line (unless there is some hardware limitations).

boiled goose

good with gravy
Beyond silly butNintendo gonna Nintendo. If switch supported Bluetooth headsets, could a headset connect to both a phone and switch?

Im guessing no...

In any case, I really hope the chat app is decent. I doubt it. Ideally it would be completely synced to the switch, but it will probably just be a completely separate piece of crap.

Zedark

Isn't this just a Hori add-on solution supporting their headset? Kimishima (or whoever) said they wanted to "avoid bulky headsets," so I doubt this is the official solution rather than a Hori-specific headset solution. Then again we don't know what they are planning, so we'll see I guess.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, the thread title should specify this is a Hori accessory, not a completely-Nintendo made one, like instead the thread title implies.

Still, I'm expecting several "Don't cross the wires" jokes, don't disappoint me everyone!

ryechu

ROFL. But I figured this was the case, when it as revealed the VC was on the phone. Seemed like the obvious question to ask was how you were going to listen to both.

Guardians

Banned
You need the Smartphone to create a Hotspot for when you are outside. And you need to connect the Headphones to the Phone as well, because not every Headphones have Bluetooth. Don't know what's wrong with that?

ironmang

Until they get with the times as far as multiplayer goes I'll just be using their consoles for the SP library. Especially now that they're going to charge for this nonsense.

It seems like most people forgot about the backlash that came out right after their press conference in January when information started coming out. Between this and charging for online this fall, I wonder if sales can keep up this pace.

99% of americans are going to be pumping the game audio through their tv and have earbuds/speaker on their phone for discord/skype/etc if they use voice chat at all

this is just an accessory to ease things up on players who are already well accustomed to playing with a set of earbuds for voip on phone or laptop and over ear for controller audio on the wii u gamepad / dualshock 4 / etc
Come on dude.
Just come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom