• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Carton

IE does not have a full screen mode anymore. IE8 in Windows Phone 7 had it, when you rotated to landscape mode, but people complained about it and now the address bar is always visible.

Thank you. That's a shame; such a precious loss of screen real estate for something that can be easily revealed with a simple gesture as per the tablet version.

Paganmoon

Right now it's the Lumia 930 and 1520. Both have a Snapdragon 800 quad-core at 2.2 GHz and 2 GB RAM. The 1525 is supposed to come out soon and got a Snapdragon 801, which is just an overclocked 800.

Then we might get completely new devices this Fall.
Believe! Really want some new hardware for this fall, will renew contract by then.

Sigh, I'm stuck with 7.1 for a while :(

You mean 7.8?

KageMaru

Great OT Brot! Love the Cortana animation.

Now I'm just waiting for my cyan update. Hopefully Verizon releases this quicker than they released GDR3.

Not sure. Regular web browsing seems better with it than mobile Safari at least.

Maybe in terms of rendering, which would surprise me, but I find the usability in IE11 to be terrible. The new memory and tab management causes to reload pages all the time. Wake up the phone and unlock it, page reloads. Go back to the previous page, page reloads the cached(!) version. It's really annoying.

L.O.R.D

Wait, when did the Icon get colors? Wtf?

Is there a way to just replace the back of mine with a colored one?

Just Dev Preview it. Super easy yo.

there a lot of people who tried the dev preview , and its bricked the phone for the 8X
some who , the Dev Preview is not very stable on htc devices

bbalde

I have a 630 now because my 920 died, or at least was close to. It's a nice budgetphone with only the screen being really the "shitty" standout. Bring on the next flagship Nokia/MS.
Waiting for mine next week. Screen is that bad ? Care to elaborate a little please. Thanks.

derFeef

Waiting for mine next week. Screen is that bad ? Care to elaborate a little please. Thanks.

Well the resolution is pretty low for such a screen size. And it's a really cheap screen, with bleeding and bad viewing angles. I still like it though, good phone for great value.

Razdek

Banned
there a lot of people who tried the dev preview , and its bricked the phone for the 8X
some who , the Dev Preview is not very stable on htc devices

I have an 8X and my upgrade to the dev preview went fine. 8.1 still have issues as I run into more loading screens then I should and areas where scrolling is choppy. Battery life is kinda terrible as well.

If you use the Xbox Music app a lot then don't upgrade as the 8.1 version can best be described as "shit".

m23

So I'm in the preview program and have been for a couple months in Canada, just waiting on Cortana which doesn't seem to available yet. I heard Cortana would be available in Canada when 8.1 is formally released, anyone in Canada able to get it yet?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm in the preview program and have been for a couple months in Canada, just waiting on Cortana which doesn't seem to available yet. I heard Cortana would be available in Canada when 8.1 is formally released, anyone in Canada able to get it yet?

I currently have my region set to US and it works fine other than the garbage imperial system.

Cortana is supposed to come to Canada by the end of August.

bigmf

Does that cause any issues in terms of your phone carrier or anything?

No, your payments for apps and things will have to go out of the US store, and if you have any credit on your local store you won't be able to access it. You can change your region back for that kind of thing and nothing will be lost. Cortana will still have all your preferences and stuff when you go back to US region. I had to do it several times to use up a $20 promotional credit I had.

On the topic of the address bar, I think that it's fine the way it is. It makes it much more beginner friendly when random things aren't just hiding themselves.

Sordid

I'm on the dev preview but my 920, 620 and my partner's 8X are all getting updates today. I was thinking it was the Cyan update but I doubt HTC have put out an update this quick so now I'm not sure!

m23

I'm getting an update as well, 920 on Rogers.

No, your payments for apps and things will have to go out of the US store, and if you have any credit on your local store you won't be able to access it. You can change your region back for that kind of thing and nothing will be lost. Cortana will still have all your preferences and stuff when you go back to US region. I had to do it several times to use up a $20 promotional credit I had.

Might try it then, thanks.

Razdek

Banned
I'm on the dev preview but my 920, 620 and my partner's 8X are all getting updates today. I was thinking it was the Cyan update but I doubt HTC have put out an update this quick so now I'm not sure!

I have an 8X and I doubt it too. Probably a WP update as opposed to a OEM one based on the timing for all devices.

Top Bottom