• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

The man responsible for the modern day concept of the Suicide Squad. His run is pretty much the standard for the team.

Modern day, hell. Basically everything about the Squad comes from Ostrander. The earlier incarnation had the name and Rick Flag and not much else in common; it was one of those weird post-war war comic teams, like the Blackhawks and the Losers. The supervillains trading service for sentence reductions, the bombs, Waller, and most of the other characters, that's all Ostrander. For bonus points he also created Oracle (Barbra Gordon) in that run. Until Rebirth I'd say that no other run with the Squad had come close, and even now he's probably still got the defining take. Him writing the movie would be huge.

Penguin

Modern day, hell. Basically everything about the Squad comes from Ostrander. The earlier incarnation had the name and Rick Flag and not much else in common; it was one of those weird post-war war comic teams, like the Blackhawks and the Losers. The supervillains trading service for sentence reductions, the bombs, Waller, and most of the other characters, that's all Ostrander. For bonus points he also created Oracle (Barbra Gordon) in that run. Until Rebirth I'd say that no other run with the Squad had come close, and even now he's probably still got the defining take. Him writing the movie would be huge.

I said modern day just to reflect that the concept/name Suicide Squad existed before his book, but you're right when people think of it is the concept he created and DC continues to use.

I hope they go super small scale with the 2nd one.

Simple enough set-up
Give the heroes a mission
Have something go terribly wrong because they weren't given all the info
Have them book it out of there/complete the mission
Roll credits

I said modern day just to reflect that the concept/name Suicide Squad existed before his book, but you're right when people think of it is the concept he created and DC continues to use.

I hope they go super small scale with the 2nd one.

Simple enough set-up
Give the heroes a mission
Have something go terribly wrong because they weren't given all the info
Have them book it out of there/complete the mission
Roll credits

Yeah, I get what you were saying, I'm just a huuuuge fan of that run and my enthusiasm takes over sometimes.

One thing I'd say is that while I definitely want a smaller scope, they need to make everybody... well, way worse. These should be TERRIBLE people. Emphasizing the contrast between Flag and Katana vs. the rest of the Squad vs. Waller really makes it all work.

Taking Quinn out is probably a good idea on that front, but honestly there's no way they'd do that so I just hope they can emphasize the general sketchiness more.

a916

I don't know how they can top the Infinity War teaser description.

Aquaman rising slowly from the water, with the duffman theme song playing and close ups on AM's junk. It will break the internet. Maybe make him do a long wet hair head swing. Some sexual innuendo with his trident.

Ashhong

How come more comic book writers dont write scripts for these movies? Or at least a story treatment? Has there been any other than Johns? I don't really know writers very well

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
How come more comic book writers dont write scripts for these movies? Or at least a story treatment? Has there been any other than Johns? I don't really know writers very well
Probably because they're not apart of the Screen Writers Guild? I mean, they could apply for it, but I think you have to pay dues. I can't imagine comic book writers are rolling in the dough, so why pay for something you may never be involved with?

a916

Probably because they're not apart of the Screen Writers Guild? I mean, they could apply for it, but I think you have to pay dues. I can't imagine comic book writers are rolling in the dough, so why pay for something you may never be involved with?

If these big producers were smart, they would start enlisting in them... I don't imagine them writing entire scripts, but they should be writing the treatments so we can weed out garbage that doesn't belong and to make sure character motivations are true to the characters in use.

ReiGun

I know Simone has done some treatments or been asked to.

There's also Dini and Timm, who have likely been asked, but have stated multiple times they have no interest in working on the live action films.

Ashhong

Ah, would that apply to a simple story treatment too? Just seems like a no-brainer from the studio. They should just pay the dues for them, shit. Then again, you have directors nowadays, at least on DC side, coming in and writing the script themselves anyway it seems like.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, would that apply to a simple story treatment too? Just seems like a no-brainer from the studio. They should just pay the dues for them, shit. Then again, you have directors nowadays, at least on DC side, coming in and writing the script themselves anyway it seems like.
That, I have no clue. I don't know what the rules are for story credits vs actual script/dialog credits.

Allan Heinberg has the main credit on Wonder Woman, but he also has written for TV. So it may just be guild thing.

And of course, who can forget Frank Miller writing RoboCop 2.

Penguin

The toy is the best Cyborg from the movie yet

DE83syWXsAAjuNC.jpg

Penguin

Sometimes writing doesn't necessarily translate from one medium to the next. There's also the time commitment.

But more I guess creator driven books do, Frank Miller with Sin City, Mark Millar with Deadpool, Kingsman and the sort

mjc

Weird that he'd drop JL stuff from his account, but he's had a hell of a toll personally. I don't fault him for anything.

Top Bottom