• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Psxphile

Trails of Fast Steel

image.php

How appropriate.

preta

It really should be added to the OP that, while you'll understand almost all of the story just fine anyway, it is definitely still preferable to play Sky before CS if possible, as CS1 contains one pretty major spoiler for SC and CS2 contains several others for all three Sky games. There are also a couple of revelations in the CS games that are a lot more impactful if you have context from Sky, and some subtext that you won't notice without playing them.

Playing Crossbell before CS, on top of being a much more difficult proposition for the English-speaking audience, is actually not as important as Crossbell and CS both spoil things about each other. In fact, it might even be better to play CS/CS2 first in this regard.

lmao, I forgot the AA options Durante added, I just clicked the Max settings and set the resolution to 5k. Got like 8fps during the opening cutscene for a new game on a 6700k/980ti.

edit: no borderless windowed mode in the launcher?

Also I think there's no way to exit from the main menu besides alt+f4 (exit prompt doesn't appear until going into the in-game menu).

OK that's weird, I get like 100FPS at 4K, I guess 5K is just wacky? Also, are there supposed to sometimes be borders at the top and bottom of the screen? During convos and cutscenes?

Ohtsam

Banned
A really damn good port from my time going through the prologue. Only features I'd want now are a built in borderless windowed mode and an option to let the game keep playing (and read controller input) when the focus is lost.

Thud

A bit off topic but how do you build fast crafts man?

Generally with CP recovery items and speed/strength enhancements and buffs. Then you just use the divider crafts and enjoy your long turns :).

In Cold Steel you can have similar things, but not as extreme as fast crafts man. Its sequel does have fast arts man.

Hmm, weird issue. I have my 360 Controller for PC hooked up and I can navigate the launcher with it just fine (cool feature) but when I boot the game itself up...the Xbox prompts are there but nothing responds to my input on the controller.

If i use K+M it works fine...I have the 2009 drivers for it because otherwise I get a pretty common bug with the Souls games on PC that gives you fairly persistent stuttering, but I'm not sure its that : /

Could be.

Feel like i'm missing something obvious

Sarek

Playing this with DS4 on tv screen feels almost like PS4 port. Also I love turbo mode even more than I expected.

Durante

Hmm, weird issue. I have my 360 Controller for PC hooked up and I can navigate the launcher with it just fine (cool feature) but when I boot the game itself up...the Xbox prompts are there but nothing responds to my input on the controller.

If i use K+M it works fine...I have the 2009 drivers for it because otherwise I get a pretty common bug with the Souls games on PC that gives you fairly persistent stuttering, but I'm not sure its that : /

Could be.

Feel like i'm missing something obvious
You might not be missing something obvious, if you are using Windows 10 at least. Microsoft created so many ways in that to break the Xinput support :/

We tested on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 both pre-creator and post-creator update with an Xinput controller, but it's perfectly possible something slipped thorugh.

Jonnax

My controller doesn't seem to be working on the title screen, anyone else have the same issue? I'm using DS4Windows.

Edit: Fixed it by disabling DS4Windows and using the inbult steam support.

Knurek

Absurd settings all around, 1080p + MSAA x8 and I still routinely get 144+ fps?
What do I have to do to make the game hurt my computer? Downsample from 4k? I don't have that good of a hardware, really...

You might not be missing something obvious, if you are using Windows 10 at least. Microsoft created so many ways in that to break the Xinput support :/

We tested on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 both pre-creator and post-creator update with an Xinput controller, but it's perfectly possible something slipped thorugh.

Someone on Steam suggested I try configuring the controller in Big Picture mode (I've NEVER used that before so it didn't even occur to me) and now it works fine :p Not to sound insincere after that but thank you for your work on the port! I look forward to whiling away 100hours of my life when I should be doing other stuff

Knurek

Props for finally using lossless music as well.
(Unless those WAVs in the game folder are just converted from lossy ATRAC9/3 files from the Vita/PS3 versions).

PROTIP: Rename them to *.lwav, and you can play them with loops preserved using VGMStream.

Jonnax

Ah, saw the cut scene for getting off the train and got this

xVhiIR5.png

Edit: Went through it again and it didn't crash. :)
Turbo mode is excellent.

thematic

I've done my part
now hurry up with ToCS II

and then bring ToCS III to Steam too
and Zero no Kiseki
and Ao no Kiseki

come on XSEED!

This characters... ugh. What happened to the nice art and character design of TitS (FC)?

They get better, they may start off in very stereotypical ways but there is a hell of a lot of depth to each of them as you'd expect from this series. I will say that certain characters don't have everything about them just explained right to your face, most notably Gaius. His development is more subtle then others.

Edit: I played through the prologue on stream with 0 bugs/crashes from what I could tell. A few graphic glitches sure but thats not from the port thats just the game/engine. I didn't play with Framerate unlocked though, just 60FPS (since I was streaming anyway XD)

Great port Durante, loving all the work you've done the Turbo feature is great for getting through these early battles.

Jazzem

It really should be added to the OP that, while you'll understand almost all of the story just fine anyway, it is definitely still preferable to play Sky before CS if possible, as CS1 contains one pretty major spoiler for SC and CS2 contains several others for all three Sky games. There are also a couple of revelations in the CS games that are a lot more impactful if you have context from Sky, and some subtext that you won't notice without playing them..

Roughly, how many hours into CS1 would you say the SC spoiler is?

Loz246789

Roughly, how many hours into CS1 would you say the SC spoiler is?
If you're paying attention, it's within the first few hours, but realistically it's a few chapters in. It's... possible you might not notice? but it's incredibly unlikely.

Durante

Just got it again but a bit later.
Sadly, that's more sporadic than repeatable :/

What are your system specs, and which settings are you playing at?
Edit: oh, you already posted them, thanks.

Could you try if the issue still occurs if you run without MSAA? We seem to have some problems particularly on Intel with that.

Uthred

Bit disappointing theres no dual audio, the english VA seems fairly average based on the streams linked upthread.

Jonnax

Sadly, that's more sporadic than repeatable :/

What are your system specs, and which settings are you playing at?
Edit: oh, you already posted them, thanks.

Could you try if the issue still occurs if you run without MSAA? We seem to have some problems particularly on Intel with that.

Sure, I'll disable it and see if it happens again.

Nyoro SF

Purchased all the costume DLC (good bundle deal). Normally I never do this for any game period, but for a replay of this and as a thanks for all the hard work, it's worth the price!

Bit disappointing theres no dual audio, the english VA seems fairly average based on the streams linked upthread.

If you know where to look, it's not such a big issue.

If you're paying attention, it's within the first few hours, but realistically it's a few chapters in. It's... possible you might not notice? but it's incredibly unlikely.

The SC spoiler is written in such a way that it's really easy to miss. Even when I looked for it deliberately, I remember the language being vague to the point where it was a non-issue.

However I will say, the events of Chapter 4, the beginning of chapter 5, and the final chapter near the end, is where it is best to have played Sky series first, but it's not such a huge deal. It's all about whether you want to maximize enjoyment.

The SC spoiler is written in such a way that it's really easy to miss. Even when I looked for it deliberately, I remember the language being vague to the point where it was a non-issue.

However I will say, the events of Chapter 4, the beginning of chapter 5, and the final chapter near the end, is where it is best to have played Sky series first, but it's not such a huge deal. It's all about whether you want to maximize enjoyment.

Yeah, I know that FC+SC are recommended before playing Cold Steel, but I've fallen off of FC so many times now that I'm just gonna play Cold Steel and see if I'm actually interested in this series instead of putting in 80+ hours into a pair of games that I'm not sure I'll enjoy. Especially since the style of Cold Steel is just a lot more appealing to me than FC/SC.

Durante

I just read on the Steam forums a few seconds ago (while browsing for bug reports) that there's apparently already an undub.
If true, I'm impressed at the speed.

Top Bottom