• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

Sony

Nintendo
It's such a strange fact that iPhones are now the most powerful phones under the hood, but the designs are better on other phones. It used to be the other way around.

The A11 is a fucking beast.

The new X looks really bad. It should have looked like below with glass, and it would have been perfect. Also, don't care for face id, and feel touch id is superior.

yeah, yall can miss me with that curved glass bullshit.

It used to be the other way around.

The iPhones have been the most powerful phones for several years now, maybe not in specs but in actual performance testing.

I just can't over the guy in the other thread who, when asked what does the extra the $300 for the iPhone 10 get you, replied "a better CPU/GPU and camera."

Renekton

It's such a strange fact that iPhones are now the most powerful phones under the hood, but the designs are better on other phones. It used to be the other way around.

Is the A11 really that powerful? I need to read up about this.

The iPhones have been the most powerful phones for several years now, maybe not in specs but in actual performance testing.
I always thought the benchmarks mostly reflected the advantage of vertical integration?

I specifically referred to industry meaning phone manufacturers DID take notice and they have been planning future designs to what we're starting to see now.

And since you're taking the "no one cares" lazy argument:

I recall Xiaomi constantly selling out of this phone immediately despite its higher price point where they sold it globally. So yes, people did care as the world is bigger than whatever bubble you live in.

This was MKBHD's 2nd highest video count for 2016, according to him (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7plA1ALkQw)

And this wasn't even a phone confirmed to work well in the US

Yup. And the new Mix 2 hands down the best industrial design I've ever seen on a smartphone.

It's a smaller (that's good IMO), has a better grip, and a faster fingerprint sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOnNXJs6FUU

jobrro

Samsung will most likely have the under the screen finger print scanner before apple as well.

They are apparently very close to getting it working, expect the galaxy s9 to have it.

Yeah well the S9 has more than 6 months until release. There is a good chance they can do it. The improvement on the finger scanner from S5 to S7 was phenomenal (didn't try S6). S5 finger scanner was garbage compared to Apple but never turn it off for S7 Edge as it is lightning fast and reliable.

Vuze

In the end, all flagship phones this year seem to be born from compromise for less bezels. Be it fingerprint reader on the back (no it's not 'natural'), partially even in awkward positions that require you to regrip the phone, front facing camera in the bottom bezel or display cutouts for sensors that look disgusting in landscape mode and during media consumption. (Or any combination of the above)

idk, Apple had the chance to make the X the best looking "bezel-less" design imo and I don't care for the notch in portrait mode. Their landscape mode philosophy however...
Some concept renders from a few weeks ago made the phone look absolutely stunning. Is this the first time Apples actual product renders look worse than fan concepts? (I obviously haven't seen the X IRL so I won't say it doesn't look and feel gorgeous in person)

36219884445_9fcf0f9b3f_b.jpg

Timbuktu

The conference bringing up Steve Jobs up at the start made me really miss the Apple when he was around.

I wouldn't say Samsung has out 'Apple'd Apple, they are still doing what they always do (apart from having their top guy arrested) but Apple has been a bit more ordinary. The phone space is getting less exciting, more commodified inevitably with just some space for luxury and as status symbol.

The same thing kind of happened to Pixar (not because of Steve Jobs, mind but because Lassester watch over Disney too) but they had over a decade of such extraordinary success, going back to just being great doesn't feel like enough.

Mogwai

I feel that Apple is dropping the ball on the visual design as of late.

The iPhone X has a that notch which looks terrible when watching videos/pictures in landscape mode. The S8/S8+ is definitely more sleek with a "clean display" and a lot thinner bezels.

The iPhone 8 has a mixed surface with the aluminum sides and the glass back. Why the hell didn't they make the sides glass or at least glossy? Seems like a weird mix.

The red dot on the cellular Apple Watch crown. I don't what to say...

ChryZ

Wouldn't buy either, but the Samsung looks way cleaner and nicer. That new Apple phone is an overpriced mess.

Yeah, it's ironic. They called it the template for future phones, but that's what I think when I see the S8 and essential phone posted here. Barring the impressive presentation for the faceID feature (of which we're still not sure how much is truth vs marketing), the 10 seems more like a midway stopgap measure between the old and cutting edge.

llien

Sorry but Samsung's premium phones have ALWAYS looked better than iPhones.
The same goes for tablets.

In the end, all flagship phones this year seem to be born from compromise for less bezels. Be it fingerprint reader on the back (no it's not 'natural'), partially even in awkward positions that require you to regrip the phone, front facing camera in the bottom bezel or display cutouts for sensors that look disgusting in landscape mode and during media consumption. (Or any combination of the above)

idk, Apple had the chance to make the X the best looking "bezel-less" design imo and I don't care for the notch in portrait mode. Their landscape mode philosophy however...
Some concept renders from a few weeks ago made the phone look absolutely stunning. Is this the first time Apples actual product renders look worse than fan concepts? (I obviously haven't seen the X IRL so I won't say it doesn't look and feel gorgeous in person)

I don't know.

I think maybe they were trying too hard with the bezel screen cut out on the x.

The S8 and V30 are being hailed as the best looking smartphones in the new slim bezel world.

Would Apple phone users not been happy with a 0.5mm bezel down from the whatever huge ones they had before to house the sensors, if it meant they had 100% usable screen space and no weird cut out? And then just iterate onward from There?

I can't see that fans of iPhones wouldn't have been 1000% happy with that, which makes me wonder why they felt they absolutely needed to do this other than to be different, because it certainly doesn't look very nice.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

To me it looks like a phone that you look back on after 3 gens and think: damn, that looks rough. The rounded screen and rounded sides make look like a budget chinaphone.

It also sounds like it's half-done, with the news that they didn't manage to get Touch ID working in time.

You wait until next year when they announce their brand new Touch ID feature to the X2.

TI82

Banned
iPhone X looks awful with it's gestures. Onscreen buttons are so better I was really stunned at how poorly implemented the gestures looked.

Especially going to multitask 😑

Pif

Banned
Apple hater here.

The X looks cooler than the galaxy S/Note for me.

But IOS and its limitations are straight out of 2004.

Nobody can't even touch Apple's marketing genius though.

Here you go:

This picture is the perfect example of my previous post.

How is adding 2-3 millimetres to the top bezel for the facial recognition tech not a better design choice than chopping up the top of the screen?

The screen is THE most important part of a phone.

2mm less bezel on top is something you look at before you buy, notice for a while after purchase, and never care about ever again.

That cut out will be in your face forever. Every video you watch. Every time you do anything in landscape.

And imo, people who have been using touch ID all day every day for the past couple generations may not feel like the FaceID tech is even worth that compromise vs what they were used to.

Pooya

3 years ago Samsung phone was that god awful looking S5. Now they have this. Yeah, they've come a long way while iphone hasn't really changed or became worse in some aspects. 5S was a beautiful phone, 6 design and everything since has been a mixed bag at best.

S8 looks amazing, the only negative is fingerprint placement. If they can figure out how to place it under the screen for s9 it would be perfect.

Pixel phone with s8 design language would be perfection, the only thing i was really impressed with iPhone x was the depth cameras sammy needs to get on that shit.

Nev

Banned

The horrible "full screen but not really" iPhone X wishes it looked half as good as the Xiaomi MM2.

It's an overpriced, ugly product and there's nothing revolutionary about its design that Android phones don't have. But it's Apple, so suddenly there hasn't been any full screen phones ever.

Does Apple get any launch exclusivity nowadays?

The bezelless design started by Xiaomi last year, then Samsung and LG.

Wireless charging is like 4-5 years old.

Dual camera was started by Huawei I think? Then everybody does it.

LTE on watch is old news.

I am sure Apple has one of the best if not the best implementation of these techs, but they don't own the buzz anymore.

I think separated bt earphone from last year was a first by Apple. Don't remember any from yesterday.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What i don't get is why the obsession with bezerless?

Yes i want to make my huge ass phone even harder to grip..

Korey

What's even the point of the cutout? Why did Essential do it and now Apple? What do those two corner notches of screen real estate get you?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is there a single Android phone that looks nice on the back?

The part you look at the least? Seems like an odd aspect to compare.

Heck, with the amount of cases you see on sale, I wouldn't be surprised if most never see the back of their device after unboxing it.

I like the look of the X, and as usual, probably looks even bettter in person. Will withhold judgement.

Sure, Apple could have squeezed smaller and shittier front cams and IR sensors on there, and perhaps made less of a notch, but I like that they are embracing and emphasising powerful camera tech, just like the camera bumps on the rear, the correct tech / aesthetics balance imo.

But I'd definitely take the advanced front facing cam and IR scanning tech over a more notch-less design any day. Those cams and tech will be important to people and popular apps like snapchat.

Also I hate screens that wrap over the edge.

I like (minus the notch) the fact that the bezel is the same size the whole way round. Without being too edgey were it has to start ignoring accidental hold-touches in software.

Basically, yeah it's not a slam dunk, but I'm not jealous of the alternatives.

Wow I thought that Xiaomi MM2 was a fan render before the real iphone came out, lol. Internals and software aside, it's because amazing looking phones like that exist (already) that I'm so blah with the 10.

jts

...hate me...
Not at all. I think the iPhone X is both sexier and more futuristic looking.

And I’m pretty sure it will start a new trend in smartphone design.

Come back to us in a couple of years and check which phone was more impactful in the industry.

diaspora

Come back to us in a couple of years and check which phone was more impactful in the industry.
The X is following an existing trend already.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I mean it mostly took existing design cues from existing Android phones.

Is the A11 really that powerful? I need to read up about this.

I always thought the benchmarks mostly reflected the advantage of vertical integration?

Yeah they are - Apple invested heavily into core design allowing them to make super powerfull cores compared to stock ARM ones.

2 apple cores are usually matched in performance by 4 normal ones which means other SoCs at best are matching them in software designed to use all of them, while Apple kills it in any less threaded soft.

It's like AMD vs Intel

The horrible "full screen but not really" iPhone X wishes it looked half as good as the Xiaomi MM2.

It's an overpriced, ugly product and there's nothing revolutionary about its design that Android phones don't have. But it's Apple, so suddenly there hasn't been any full screen phones ever.

Googled it. No waterproofing, no headphone jack (lol), crappy earpiece (big flaw), crappy selfie cam on bottom bezel for some reason, way worse rear camera (singular), no fancy IR array, a cpu that's way, way slower, a much lower quality OLED, and all packed in a bigger body.

G, I'm so jealous of this phone from a Chinese company that makes versions of android that ape iOS, and all this in a even bigger bulkier device? Where do I sign up?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not a huge fan of the S8's edge on the left and right mainly because it looks bad in a case and makes apps look weird at times. Don't like the Apple bump either, though.

jts

...hate me...
3F7187z.png

I hope not
Free form displays mean that they don’t have to be limited to the largest rectangle that fits in the front of a smartphone anymore. What looks weird now, will look normal tomorrow.

Apple has a strong trendsetting tradition and the X shouldn’t be an exception.
Futuristic as in "retro future"? It does have a clunky charm I guess.
The free form display adding those bits of real estate on the top give the illusion of new technology that breaks with the common idea of displays being limited to a fairly rectangle shape. It’s like it’s stretching as much as it can on the front of the phone and instead of stopping in the usual hard bezel fashion on the top because of the camera hardware, it just contours that camera hardware like a liquid would.

Already iconic tbh.

diaspora

Free form displays mean that they don’t have to be limited to the largest rectangle that fits in the front of a smartphone anymore. What looks weird now, will look normal tomorrow.

Apple has a strong trendsetting tradition and the X shouldn’t be an exception.The free form display adding those bits of real estate on the top give the illusion of new technology that breaks with the common idea of displays being limited to a fairly rectangle shape. It’s like it’s stretching as much as it can on the front of the phone and instead of stopping in the usual hard bezel fashion on the top because of the camera hardware, it just contours that camera hardware like a liquid would.

Already iconic tbh.
I can't tell if you're joking because this has all already been done.

Top Bottom