• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Tawpgun

Yes. That way I can enjoy all the new they put in, but if it ends up being unbalanced like ArmorLock was imo, then I have a playlist that is good to go in that regard.

Plus, sometimes it's fun to join a playlist that's just who is the better shooter without extra elements such as perks in CoD for example.
Looks like that's what you;re going to get.

Frankie said they'll make sure there's tons of options for matchmaking. Due to the huge demand of wanting a more classic Halo experience in Reach, there's probably going to be a classic, bare bones playlist in H4.
I used to dislike it but it is now way closer to the Halo I used to love than current normal Halo.

I wish the MLG playlist in Reach would match randoms vs randoms and teams vs teams.
THIIIIIIIIIIIIS

MLG No Sprint Variants make Reach gameplay fun again. The only problem is I keep getting matched up against teams that are super serious trying to make it into an MLG event or something.

CyReN

I used to dislike it but it is now way closer to the Halo I used to love than current normal Halo.

I wish the MLG playlist in Reach would match randoms vs randoms and teams vs teams.

That's MLG not 343i, MLG heads in Starcraft and Fighters land so we are stuck with it:(

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
LOL at points being missed.
The only point he made:

Z6SCB.jpg

Shotgun, Sword and radar on Countdown? No thanks.
The MLG version is good, though.
The MLG version has a Sniper and Rockets on a small map, that's better? Okay...

I seem to remember a certain zlatko coming into one of the Reach OTs with a picture of a guy holding a turd, while complaining about the Reach netcode.

Speaking of that, I did some digging.
I'm selling my copy of the game. I keep trying to give it another chance, but all that happens when I put it in is my brain swelling up with rage from the inane amounts of bull shit.

Crap maps, crappier spawns on those maps, host advantage, lag, constant quitters, campers out the ass, the terrible bloom system, the lack of balance in armor abilities, people you can't boot who purposely melee you to drop your shields, and the list goes on and on.

I tried my best to give this game a proper shake since release, but the more I play it the more it dawns on me that the online multiplayer is just for ADD morons and little kids. That's not including Gaf, but I have a feeling the HaloGaf people tend to just play with each other or not that much online so they aren't exposed to the insane amounts of monkey crap this games want to put you through to try and muster some fun out of it.

I enjoyed the daily challenges, theater mode, customization, the back drops in campaign, and without a doubt the best soundtrack in any FPS to date. Those things however do not make up for the part of the game you buy it for... the multiplayer.

If anyone is interested in my copy I'm selling it in the buy/sell/trade thread. Enjoy the mess. :D

Here.

And...
This game has the worst online multiplayer since the travesty that was Gears of War 2.
Right hurr.

There are more, and he recently said Reach was his favorite MP experience. I guess things got better?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Asylum and Hemorrhage aren't necessarily broken because of the changes to the game mechanics, they're just awful remakes, as if someone was recreating it from memory instead of actually looking at the originals. Hemorrhage in particular should have been a full Coagulation remake instead of Blood Gulch - the added cover and better bases would have helped a lot.
I agree, Hemorrhage is just awful. The only part of the map you can actually walk around in is your own base and the sides, otherwise you're just sniper/vehicle bait. Every time I get Big Team Slayer there, it's just 15 minutes of DMR cross mapping.

Or just Warthogs in general...

You can counter normal warthogs quite easily, just DMR the hell out of it with a couple teammates and it goes down pretty quick. This doesn't work with the Gauss Hog often though.

zlatko

Banned
Speaking of that, I did some digging.

Here.

And...

Right hurr.

There are more, and he recently said Reach was his favorite MP experience. I guess things got better?

It is my favorite Halo MP experience definitely, and yeah it did improve when more playlists got put in.

Also, I think it was A.Shogun who told me to try messing around with some internet settings on my end, and that helped out too. Plus, I got Reach again later on after I missed it, and at that point I had moved to a different state with a better internet provider and was able to enjoy it far more. A.Lockless playlists and my better net provided a much better game that I was pleased with over the other Halo's.

Heaven forbid I change my opinion on a game after I buy it again later on. It's NOT my favorite online MP shooter this generation, but it is my favorite Halo as a whole.

I had made a good 1-CTF variant of Powerhouse back then when I was still playing Reach.

Ptaj4.jpg

A - flag
B - pro-pipe (at the end of the short corridor, not where the dmr is in the vanilla version)
C - teleport (bathrooms)
D - jetpack
E - goal
F - shotgun
G - teleport
H - rockets
I - evade

You could switch evade and jetpack with more classic stuff like active camo and overshield power-ups.
I don't have it anymore on my HDD, so if you want to try it out you have to forge it yourself

Overdoziz

Banned
The MLG version has a Sniper and Rockets on a small map, that's better? Okay...
Better than people camping around corners and at lifts with shotgun and sword with sprint.
There are some nice lines of sight for the Sniper but nothing too make it too powerful and the Rockets are usually out of play fairly quickly especially compared to the Shotgun and Sword who both have enough ammo to kill about a dozen people.

It is my favorite Halo MP experience definitely, and yeah it did improve when more playlists got put in.

Also, I think it was A.Shogun who told me to try messing around with some internet settings on my end, and that helped out too. Plus, I got Reach again later on after I missed it, and at that point I had moved to a different state with a better internet provider and was able to enjoy it far more. A.Lockless playlists and my better net provided a much better game that I was pleased with over the other Halo's.

Heaven forbid I change my opinion on a game after I buy it again later on. It's NOT my favorite online MP shooter this generation, but it is my favorite Halo as a whole.
I never said you couldn't change your opinion. That's why I had it as a question. I was curious given your past comments.

Edit: Lord knows I've changed my opinion on Halo games.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What do you guys prefer, Rocket Hog or default Hog? I may just suck with it, but I don't care for the rockets at all. They feel too weak.

If anyone cares:

Halo 1.5 is out.

You need a modded Xbox to play it but its pretty cool.

It has all the OG maps and 13 new maps made by DDS, Insidious and Pwnytar (RIP).

Haha I'm genuinely curious how you hate warthogs
I think he's talking about both Warthogs being broken in Reach, not just the Gauss. At least it seems that way. I know I can't ride in it as a passenger if I'm feeling particularly gassy, lest the damned thing flip over seven times.

zlatko

Banned
What did you like about it compared to the others?

Everyone on HaloGAF appreciated Reach's clear feedback system (I liked how clear it was but me and other still wanted melee bleed through) hitscan, godly netcode... that's about it. Those were pretty universal likes. Then it started getting messy.

I think it had to do with initial accessability compared to older Halo's. I got into 3 late, and 1 and 2 I only got access to at friends homes, due to my not having an OG Xbox.

I wasn't great at Reach, but I felt decent/good enough that I could play without going negative for the most part, where in past Halo's I definitely struggled. Customization options were great for Spartan's, and I'm big on customization in games. Once I got it later on the map packs helped in a lot of ways with more enjoyable maps to play on.

There's definitely shit I hated on, as can be shown with previous posts I've made in Reach's thread.

The story also wasn't great, but I found it more enjoyable than other Halo's. I did like firefight with friends. I did like daily challenges.

Plenty to like in the game, and plenty to build up on for going to H4.

If anyone cares:

Halo 1.5 is out.

You need a modded Xbox to play it but its pretty cool.

It has all the OG maps and 13 new maps made by DDS, Insidious and Pwnytar (RIP).

wut.

when did this happen?

edit: jk thought it was the HD version of the CE campaign with the carbine and other weapons someone was making

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's MLG not 343i, MLG heads in Starcraft and Fighters land so we are stuck with it:(
This needs to be fixed. Get THC to start a thread/petitiok, make it a thread on MLG and publish an article in THC.

Get people to "sign" it by posting, commenting and supporting it. Show to 343....success?

We have to spell out exactly and clearly what we want.

Tighter matchmaking restrictions so players with like skill match each other more often.

Tighter part restrictions. Team of 4 will never face a party of randoms, a party of 2's or a party 2 randoms and a 2.

Randoms can match with parties of 3, other randoms or parties of 2.

Did I miss anything?

Let's organize and make the playlist better.

Also, 3 options for maps rather than 2.

zlatko

Banned
I never said you couldn't change your opinion. That's why I had it as a question. I was curious given your past comments.

Edit: Lord knows I've changed my opinion on Halo games.

I agree my earlier comments are bombastic looking at them now, but that IS the experience I was having at the game at the time.

I also disliked original Halo, until I ran through it with a friend on co-op last year, and that made me enjoy it more than a solo experience for several reasons.

The only Halo I haven't touched yet is ODST, but I think I'll hit it up here soon int he summer when I have more time since a lot of GAF considers its campaign the best.

I agree my earlier comments are bombastic looking at them now, but that IS the experience I was having at the game at the time.

I also disliked original Halo, until I ran through it with a friend on co-op last year, and that made me enjoy it more than a solo experience for several reasons.

The only Halo I haven't touched yet is ODST, but I think I'll hit it up here soon int he summer when I have more time since a lot of GAF considers its campaign the best.
Outside of CE its given the most recognition given the hubworld. Definitely worth checking out. It doesn't succeed in everything it tries to do, but it mostly does, and the encounter design is pretty great overall.

CyReN

This needs to be fixed. Get THC to start a thread/petitiok, make it a thread on MLG and publish an article in THC.

Get people to "sign" it by posting, commenting and supporting it. Show to 343....success?

We have to spell out exactly and clearly what we want.

Tighter matchmaking restrictions so players with like skill match each other more often.

Tighter part restrictions. Team of 4 will never face a party of randoms, a party of 2's or a party 2 randoms and a 2.

Randoms can match with parties of 3, other randoms or parties of 2.

Did I miss anything?

Let's organize and make the playlist better.

Also, 3 options for maps rather than 2.

Do you have a link to the post or tweet that says we need mlg to do it so I can reference it. Then I can tweet it from the THC twitter.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Do you have a link to the post or tweet that says we need mlg to do it so I can reference it. Then I can tweet it from the THC twitter.
I will look. Not sure if it's a post by Frankie or David or a tweet from Jessica.

Edit: i just retweeted cyren, its from Jessica.

You can counter normal warthogs quite easily, just DMR the hell out of it with a couple teammates and it goes down pretty quick. This doesn't work with the Gauss Hog often though.

I had misread the intent of your post- but I totally agree about the gauss.

I was actually complaining about how worthless the regular hog is. Damn thing is a deathtrap in Reach.

GhaleonEB

Outside of CE its given the most recognition given the hubworld. Definitely worth checking out. It doesn't succeed in everything it tries to do, but it mostly does, and the encounter design is pretty great overall.

Yup on all counts. I think the game tapers off toward the endgame, but several of the missons and the hub in particular are really great. And while not as universally praised, I loved Sadie's Story, in concept and execution; fun to find, a good tracker and way to replay them, and they tie into both the story and the gameplay (weapon cache unlocks).

What kind of Halo do you like for Reach at least?

Eh, my own issues with MLG Halo is more in general, not just Reach. I miss all the wackier weapons like the Gravity Hammer or the Needler, or just the normal weapon/power-up layout like the Overshield and Shotgun on Beaver Creek. I miss the radar, too. I guess that makes me a scrub, but I like that thing. And I miss vehicles! Well, maybe not Halo Reach vehicles...

IDK, I just feel like MLG removes a lot of the diversity and options I liked about Halo, and then on top of that with Reach you got crappy maps and 3x bloomless DMR. Just really unappealing to me, personally.

I feel like I complain too much in this thread. I need to say something positive.

I'm hyped for Halo 4, man, whatever @ those changes.

-It's totally gorgeous
-Campaign is sounding godlike
-Spec Ops sounds like the first real episodic content in...maybe forever
-Movement speed is good again
-Maps built from scratch and not rigged from Campaign
-No AL
-No Health Packs
-2x scope hitscan BR with no bullet spread
-No more Invasion screwing up BTB

The shit is already GOTY (Viewtiful Joe 3 sudden announcement and release notwithstanding)

zlatko

Banned
Eh, my own issues with MLG Halo is more in general, not just Reach. I miss all the wackier weapons like the Gravity Hammer or the Needler, or just the normal weapon/power-up layout like the Overshield and Shotgun on Beaver Creek. I miss the radar, too. I guess that makes me a scrub, but I like that thing. And I miss vehicles! Well, maybe not Halo Reach vehicles...

IDK, I just feel like MLG removes a lot of the diversity and options I liked about Halo, and then on top of that with Reach you got crappy maps and 3x bloomless DMR. Just really unappealing to me, personally.

I feel like I complain too much in this thread. I need to say something positive.

I'm hyped for Halo 4, man, whatever @ those changes.

-It's totally gorgeous
-Campaign is sounding godlike
-Spec Ops sounds like the first real episodic content in...maybe forever
-Movement speed is good again
-Maps built from scratch and not rigged from Campaign
-No AL
-No Health Packs
-2x scope hitscan BR with no bullet spread
-No more Invasion screwing up BTB

The shit is already GOTY (Viewtiful Joe 3 sudden announcement and release notwithstanding)

Agreed with all that H4 hype. It's my most wanted shooter now after the info of it leaked. I'm excited what they will show for E3. Will 343 be doing vidocs like Bungie did with Reach? I'm itching for more.

It may not bear repeating, but I can't but think of instant respawns and frown.
If possible, I wouldn't play it Co-Op on your first run either.
For the most part the game has as very deliberate atmosphere that would be pretty spoiled by playing with a buddy.

Tawpgun

So.

I don't know how much power 343 has over this but...

inb4 Pre-Order Exclusive Spartan Points Booster Pack
Exclusive Armor Mods
Exclusive Spartan Op
Exclusive bullshit

It's been getting worse as the years went on.

Ok serious post this time. I actually really enjoyed dual wielding in Halo 2 but not in halo 3. I suspect that it was because in Halo 2 you started with an SMG and that encouraged you to either grab a two handed weapon or dual wield where as in Halo 3 you started with an AR meaning you had to find two decent dual weildable weapons if you wanted to dual weild thus making it more logical to just find a BR. Plus halo 2 had some cool weapon combos (SMG/PR, SMG/PP, SMG/SMG). Am I the only one who would like to see Dual Wielding return? Maybe have SMG starts in place of AR starts as a voting option against BR and DMR starts?

Tawpgun

Ok serious post this time. I actually really enjoyed dual wielding in Halo 2 but not in halo 3. I suspect that it was because in Halo 2 you started with an SMG and that encouraged you to either grab a two handed weapon or dual wield where as in Halo 3 you started with an AR meaning you had to find two decent dual weildable weapons if you wanted to dual weild thus making it more logical to just find a BR. Plus halo 2 had some cool weapon combos (SMG/PR, SMG/PP, SMG/SMG). Am I the only one who would like to see Dual Wielding return? Maybe have SMG starts in place of AR starts as a voting option against BR and DMR starts?

GOD NO

Dual Wielding wrecked the weapon sandbox.

Top Bottom