• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colors!3D coming to 3ds this fall. "Paint in 3D!" they say.

watershed

Banned
I've never heard of Colors! before but its on its way to the 3ds Q4 2011. Here's the PR email:
Friends: we are happy and excited to announce Colors! 3D, coming this Fall to the Nintendo 3DS eShop. For the first time, artists will be able to create and view their own 3D paintings! We promise that you will love what you can do.

Colors! 3D will also offer real-time collaborative painting for up to four people using local Wi-Fi. Collaborative painting lets you paint with your friends with all the same depth you have when painting solo – but with more fun!

Last but not least, the Colors! Gallery will be integrated into the application, making it easy to share your creations with the community and learn from your friends' techniques.

If you want to stay in the loop on the launch of Colors! 3D, sign up to our new mailing list athttp://colors.collectingsmiles.com/colors_3d_coming_soon.php. And thank you all for your support!
Here's the announcement page:http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/colors_3d_coming_soon.php

and this is Colors! homepage with sample artwork:http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/
_55925.jpg
_56058.jpg

About colors:
Colors! is a simplistic painting application combining ease of use and powerful painting tools. It is based on modern painting techniques originally developed for drawing-tablets using desktop computers. Whether you are looking for doing doodles, sketching or painting Colors! is the perfect digital sketch-book.

Colors! was originally released in June 2007 as a simple painting application for homebrew Nintendo DS. It was developed by Jens Andersson, a programmer and designer who was on sabbathical from the games-industry and wanted to experiment with the potential of the new handheld platforms. Shortly after, Rafał Piasek created this gallery where users could upload their paintings for everyone to see.

Colors! quickly became one of the most known homebrew application on Nintendo DS and has to date close to 500000 downloads world-wide (August 2010). In September 2008, Colors! was also released for iPhone and iPod Touch.

The artwork looks pretty cool, and being a fine arts major I'll definitely put this app to good use. This seems like a strictly 3rd party app and not a partnership the way flipnote hatena is for the dsi.

Edit: Okay Colors! is more awesome than I thought. If you click on an image you can watch a time lapse video of the artwork being created from start to finish. Pretty cool. Now I can't wait for this to drop.

MNC

Colors is awesome. Best DS homebrew drawing app by far.

Animanatee close second because it can animate :)

VertPin

For a second there I thought there was going to be more color releases for the 3DS. A green 3DS would be godly.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I have tried both the DS and iPhone versions of Colors. It's an excellent drawing program. Glad to see it's coming out for the 3DS.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Holy shit, this is awesome news. Glad Colors made it to the eShop.
Shame on you if you never heard of the DS app :p

NIN90 said:
Don't you just hate games with exclamation marks in the title?
It's a drawing application, not a game ;p

To those who don't know, Colors! is a pretty popular homebrew software for the Nintendo DS, notable for using pressure sensitivity and uploading your creations online (and being able to watch others' creations being painted in real-time). There's also an iPhone version of Colors! ...

Anyway, I'm actually surprised. I wonder if it'll somehow retain pressure sensitivity.

This might mean they'd be unable to support Colors DS now, because of having an official Nintendo SDK and licensing.

watershed

Banned
Question for those who know, does the Colors! app for ipod/iphone cost money? Do you think the app will be free or priced for the 3ds?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Homebrew going to the eShop? That's great fucking news!

Colors is amazing on the DS

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
artwalknoon said:
Question for those who know, does the Colors! app for ipod/iphone cost money? Do you think the app will be free or priced for the 3ds?
It does cost money (€ 3.99 here), but even if it didn't I doubt it would be free on the eShop.

Why would you do that? said:
To those who don't know, Colors! is a pretty popular homebrew software for the Nintendo DS, notable for using pressure sensitivity and uploading your creations online (and being able to watch others' creations being painted in real-time). There's also an iPhone version of Colors! ...

Anyway, I'm actually surprised. I wonder if it'll somehow retain pressure sensitivity.

This might mean they'd be unable to support Colors DS now, because of having an official Nintendo SDK and licensing.

Good news! 3DS games can officially use the pressure sensitivity test.

watershed

Banned
Jocchan said:
It does cost money (€ 3.99 here), but even if it didn't I doubt it would be free on the eShop.
I see. I have an ipod touch yet somehow I never came across this app. Do you know if there is a large community for it?

I've noticed that they've removed the original DS version from their web site. Oh well. There's also the message "In order to focus on future projects, Collecting Smiles is no longer supporting Colors! for homebrew DS." So what I said before is probably true.
artwalknoon said:
Colors! on iDevice has a free and paid version (which allows you to save and export your images).

Since it's a 3rd party "game" on the 3DS eShop, the 3DS version is pretty much guaranteed to be a paid version.

HolyTaco

Hey this is cool, my gf the other day was saying how she'd like a 3D drawing app for PS3. This is better though because of portability and no glasses

wiibomb

Its very nice to see hombrew coming now on a more formal media, I haven't tried colors for DS yet, but I'm really interested with this one, I'll be looking for this

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
artwalknoon said:
I see. I have an ipod touch yet somehow I never came across this app. Do you know if there is a large community for it?
No idea, honestly. I didn't even know it was available until now, for some reason I never stumbled upon it either.
I only used the DS homebrew version, and that one had a pretty sizable community.

M3d10n

Art Academy had superior painting IMO (I prefer more realistic brushes), but Colors! had amazing features like recording the entire painting and an online gallery. Will buy day one.

I doubt the official app will have pressure sensitivity, though. It worked by doing raw access to the touchscreen data which Nintendo didn't expose in their SDK. It was not part of the touch screen specification and doesn't work consistently across different models.

M3d10n said:
Art Academy had superior painting IMO (I prefer more realistic brushes), but Colors! had amazing features like recording the entire painting and an online gallery.

I doubt the official app will have pressure sensitivity, though. It worked by doing raw access to the touchscreen data which Nintendo didn't expose in their SDK. It was not part of the touch screen specification and doesn't work consistently across different models.

But this is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS. :(
Nintendogs + cats has a pressure sensitive piano.

HolyTaco

cakefoo said:
How is this going to implement 3D?

I assume you can have different layers at different depths, and it will be very subtle. Could be really nice.

Does 3DS have any pressure sensitivity? I've read that DS used too with the original and lite but it was never really used outside of the colors homebrew app and DSi removed the sensitivity feature.

Here it's talked about a bit
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425664

Still a good thing for quick sketching and stuff even without any real pressure sensitivity

M3d10n

slopeslider said:
I never knew the ds had pressure sensitivity.
How did it work?
A resistive panel has an 1D array of sensors laid out left-to-right, top-to-bottom. It detects the touch point by determining the first and last active sensors and calculating the middle point between them.

When you apply more pressure a larger area is activated, so the first and last active sensors are further apart.

DS homebrew has complete low-level access to the touch panel register and can read the raw sensor information used to compute the touch position (DS games use Nintendo`s libraries to do so) and can thus estimate pressure from the estimat touch area size.

Aside from pressure, the DS screen could also be unofficially used as a thermometer.

cakefoo

artwalknoon said:
I'm guessing you will be able to paint plates like how animation can use 2 or more plates for background, mid, and foreground.
Ah, yeah, that's probably it. If they let you stack a lot of them, you could some impressive stuff.

M3d10n

Graphics Horse said:
But this is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS. :(
Nintendogs + cats has a pressure sensitive piano.
Can you confirm this? I haven't seen the 3DS Nintendogs, but I'm gonna assume its some sort of trick like Dual Pen Sports, probably using the microphone to detect strong taps.

I doubt Nintendo would officially support resistive "pressure sensitivity" because it's unreliable (responsivity varies with room temperature, as example) and promotes wear-and-tear.

MNC said:
Colors is awesome. Best DS drawing app by far.

Homebrew or not, fixed for the raw correctness.

Colours! is f*cking incredible.

It's a damn sight better than finger painting with no pressure sensitivity on an expensive Apple wanna-be gaming device.

sfried

Oh snap! The homebrew DS app becomes official NintenWare? Day 1!
HolyTaco said:
Does 3DS have any pressure sensitivity? I've read that DS used too with the original and lite but it was never really used outside of the colors homebrew app and DSi removed the sensitivity feature.

Here it's talked about a bit
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425664
Mudkips said:
Only in a world of shitty capacitance-based touch screens (fucking phones) would a pressure sensitive touch screen be news to anybody.

And no, I don't see many games making use of it.
This is news to me. I myself thought they had gotten rid of the pressure sensitive capabilities of the DS. Glad to know its still there. One of the reasons I prefer this over capacitative touchscreens is that it makes a BIG difference when it comes to drawing.

Platy

For a second i was like "homebrew for 3ds ???? COUNT ME IN !" ... but e-shop is also cool ! They deserve some money for their amazing work

watershed

Banned
tumblr_lpon7fnsMs1qzp9weo1_400.gif

Super cool artist Orioto, who I believe is also a Gaf member, has made the above 3d version of his work "Foret en Fleur". It can be viewed in 3d on your 3ds browser at this link:http://3dporch.com/og2p

I couldn't figure out which thread to post it in, and I figured this one was good as this kind of thing might be possible with Colors!3D when it comes out though probably not with so much detail.

Tinycartridge has the original story:http://tinycartridge.com/post/8714284603/foret-en-fleur-by-mikael-orioto-aguirre-made

maeda

Fuck, this image looks incredible on 3DS screen! The questions is whether there will be any 2D games for 3DS which will look as good. :(

BDGAME

News about Colors! 3D connectivity

Colors! 3D, a painting application coming to the 3DS will allow you to paint in 3D by using a system of layers where each layer has its own depth. Users will be able to connect directly to the Colors! Gallery and Colors! Community where you can share your own work and check out what are users have created. The application will launch in the fourth quarter of this year. You can check out a couple of screenshots after the break.
source

Colors-3D-Screenshot-1.jpg
Colors-3D-Screenshot-2.jpg

Fewr

I'm definitely buying this. I've made dozens of crazy yet terrible drawings in the homebrew version.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm willing to exchange money for this.

Top Bottom