• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike Suit Zero |OT| Wing Commander x Macross

Holy fuck, the Green Man Games site isn't lying about some banks flagging their site as a gambling / fraud site. I got an email from my bank minutes after making my purchase letting me know that my card had been limited and to call the fraud hotline.

Fucking christ.

Then they asked me random questions like... name some cross streets and nearby landmarks. Naturally, I work from home and don't drive so I was like... um, I have no idea. Ask me something related to my account lol. That was an awkward phone call.

Wow. I've been buying off and on from GMG whenever they've had a sale, and I've never had an issue, and I live in Canada. What type of credit card do you use? Whenever I buy anything from them, their website takes me through the Mastercard Securecard feature which is linked to my bank. I have to re-enter another password in order for my credit card order to be accepted. I wonder if that's a reason why people are having difficulties.

Or maybe, since I've lived and used my card out of the country before, my bank knows what my spending patterns are already, which is why my purchases aren't flagged normally.

*knock on wood*

1stStrike

Banned
Wow. I've been buying off and on from GMG whenever they've had a sale, and I've never had an issue, and I live in Canada. What type of credit card do you use? Whenever I buy anything from them, their website takes me through the Mastercard Securecard feature which is linked to my bank. I have to re-enter another password in order for my credit card order to be accepted. I wonder if that's a reason why people are having difficulties.

Or maybe, since I've lived and used my card out of the country before, my bank knows what my spending patterns are already, which is why my purchases aren't flagged normally.

*knock on wood*

Bank of America debit card. The verified by visa thing came up, then immediately closed out and GMG gave me a message saying that my bank declined the transaction >_>

I buy a ton of games. They should be used to my spending habits by now.

On an unrelated note, depending on how resource intensive this game is, I will probably be streaming it on release day for anyone that's not quite ready to make the jump yet.

Keasar

To do: Watch any gameplay trailer and have this running in the background.

Really excited, was one of my favorite Kickstarters I pledged for. :D

- Mecha design by Junji Okubo (Applessed Ex Machina, Infinite Space, Steel Batallion)
- A playthrough of the story mode should take about 3 hours
- There seem to be branches, so that adds to the replay value
- Apparently, the player will have to make some tough decisions during battle
Wait, just 3 hours? Wow that is short.

Bikram

Have this preordred on GMG. Pretty excited about it. Somehow this game gave me homeworld feeling. Now I know why.

JaminEatWorld

Neo Member
Hullo all! Jamin from Born Ready Games here...

Just to clear up a few of the queries this thread has thrown up:

- Completing the game in 3 hours is just about possible (our best guys here can do it in about three and a half) but nobody is going to do that first time around. The game is tough and an average player will likely take around 6 hours +. Replayability is a big thing for SSZ, too - we have multiple endings, optional secondary objectives tied to craft upgrades, and leaderboards for score chasing.

- Cockpit view IS coming, and will be added in an update very shortly. (This will then be made into a 3D cockpit for our Oculus Rift version of the game, which will launch later in the year. Getting our dev kits very soon, and we're very excited about seeing what the tech is capable of)

- To those of you that backed the game on Kickstarter -- many thanks!

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

glaurung

Grabbed the pre-order from GMG.

Didn't manage to fund the Kickstarter because I was broke when it concluded.

Bring it!

Looks unbelievably cool. But I kinda usually like these games more in concept rather than in practice. Not sure if I could run it properly anyhow. Any word on a demo?

JaminEatWorld

Neo Member
Is a Mac version still coming? Any timeframe on that? Also will there be a demo?

There is both a Mac and Linux version due, yes. Soon as the main launch is out the way, the guys here will move onto sorting the Mac and Linux versions. At a guess, they'll be 2-3 months from now. As it's our own engine, it's hard to tell what issues will crop up along the way. We'll keep everybody posted on developments here.

Hi! Any hope for a demo?

Nothing on the immediate horizon, I'm afraid. It's something I'm pushing for myself, as I think demos are incredibly important for a number of reasons. Hopefully we'll get one together soon.

The game doesn't require a horrendously powerful machine or anything - but it does look incredible if you have the right specs. System requirements on the Steam page, complete with 'NVIDEO' typo I need to fix ;)

Nabs

This looks really cool. I'm excited to hear what my buddies think of it. Toku rolled hard and got a few to pick it up.

Keasar

- Completing the game in 3 hours is just about possible (our best guys here can do it in about three and a half) but nobody is going to do that first time around. The game is tough and an average player will likely take around 6 hours +. Replayability is a big thing for SSZ, too - we have multiple endings, optional secondary objectives tied to craft upgrades, and leaderboards for score chasing.

- Cockpit view IS coming, and will be added in an update very shortly. (This will then be made into a 3D cockpit for our Oculus Rift version of the game, which will launch later in the year. Getting our dev kits very soon, and we're very excited about seeing what the tech is capable of)

Glad to hear and congratulations on the Kickstarter success. Looking forward to getting the chance to finally play this. Also it would be awesome to see the game with Oculus Rift support, trying to convince the others here at the office that we should get a Dev kit and see for ourselves how it works. :)

Corto

Still waiting for my Steam code from the Kickstarter to arrive. In the meanwhile 3 25% off codes up for grabs:

Quote to see

They are redeemable only on Born Ready Games own store though.

BRG Store

Durante

Well, I'm hyped (kickstarter backer here).

Be prepared for me to flood the high-res screenshot thread with this :p

Nokterian

Oculus rift support incoming you say? Welp...imma gonna buy this! This is going to be crazy when i have the oculus in my hands.

Midou

I kickstarted too, though I guess it was a kickcompletion instead. Getting a lower price for kickstarting is always nice though.

There are not a ton of fast paced space battle sims, so I am excite. I also love Macross.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh, that sounds too short (not for the price but for wanting more if it's sweet).

This needs custom mission and campaign support in that case. Does it have it?

And maybe also a simple skirmish mode where you choose what ships that you've met in the campaign you battle with/against.

Pejo

First impressions were extremely positive on the trailer, I love transforming jets/mechs.

By the end of the video though, it seems like the game is really slow and repetitive, and I almost got bored just watching the whole thing.

It does have an upgrade system which could be good if handled right. Not sure if i would buy this at full price but definitely would like to play.

Tokubetsu

First impressions were extremely positive on the trailer, I love transforming jets/mechs.

By the end of the video though, it seems like the game is really slow and repetitive, and I almost got bored just watching the whole thing.

It does have an upgrade system which could be good if handled right. Not sure if i would buy this at full price but definitely would like to play.

If you played FS2 it's alot like that. So if you didn't care for 30 minute missions in FS2 and found them boring chances are you'll find them boring here as well.

Jinaar

I haven't played a space shooter like this since Colony Wars on the PS1 (which I was balls deep in). Buying this on simple principle of doing the right thing. Which is buying this lovely unique gem of a game. I'll be gentle... just the tip...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Does the game have native stereoscopic 3D already or will that be added later when OR support is added?

Dusted out the old USB Precision Pro ( I don't like HOTAS for these kind of games-I've played FS2 around 20 times and only with this stick! ) and pre-ordered. I'd pay $1,000 for a FS3, so I figure paying $20 for a few hours of something well done that is at least somewhat evocative of FreeSpace is a decent bargain.

FloatOn

Do we know anything about the game structure other than it being 13 levels... the more I think about this the more it seems like a 3d shmup as opposed to a space combat sim. Is there any kind of upgrade/unlock system in place?

JaminEatWorld

Neo Member
For those interested, VideoGamer are doing a live stream in twenty minutes or so from this post -- worth tuning in for!

To address a few more comments:

Is all the dialogue in this game powered by Microsoft Sam?

We used good ol' Sam as placeholder before our voice work had been done. Kind of suited the game, weirdly. I miss it.

Do we know anything about the game structure other than it being 13 levels... the more I think about this the more it seems like a 3d shmup as opposed to a space combat sim. Is there any kind of upgrade/unlock system in place?

So in between levels you can fully customise your weapon load-outs (two slots for guns, two for missiles) and equip any upgrades you might have unlocked (upgrades are earned by completing secondary objectives throughout the campaign). We're very much focused on space combat itself, so if you're expecting exploration, trading etc -- this isn't the kind of experience we're offering.

There were initially plans to release this on PSN/XBLA, have those fallen through?

They haven't fallen through, and we still intend to bring the game to console, we're just working out how best to do that. More news on this down the line.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Holy shit, this game is exactly what I've wanted in a long time.

Totally preordered

The game looks really cool but I don't know how I feel about the mech transformation being solely limited to a power-up mode. I was really hoping you could go back and forth Robotech style. I'm still interested though especially for Rift support.

panda21

this looks absolutely awesome

the mech design is really cool, but i'm slightly worried about it being a gimmick. like what is the point of it? you basically turn into a turret?

FloatOn

So in between levels you can fully customise your weapon load-outs (two slots for guns, two for missiles) and equip any upgrades you might have unlocked (upgrades are earned by completing secondary objectives throughout the campaign). We're very much focused on space combat itself, so if you're expecting exploration, trading etc -- this isn't the kind of experience we're offering.

I can respect that, it's best to get one thing down really well rather than bite off more than you can chew with many aspects. Thanks for the feedback. I'm purchasing this game asap. It sounds like you have a solid foundation with the combat, hopefully with a sequel you can expand on it and bring in other sim aspects.

All the best with the release!

Twinduct

Strange question, but did you by chance work at videogamer.com some time ago? I recall someone called Jamin which was part of the Podcast .. although if memory serves me right he left to become part of Doublesix.

Anyway on to the game, any plans for post launch DLC? If not, let me pitch you an idea. SSZ meets Homeworld ... sans RTS control.

Top Bottom