• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirby_fox

Banned
180 listing in DFW on Craigslist. Lol. I think demand isn't that great and stock will fill up in stores very fast as scalpers stop buying since they can't make profit.

Bingo. Scalpers are trying hard to make it a shortage I think, and people are willing to wait.

It's really as simple as that.

sackninja

I can currently buy one from several places here in Ireland (Gamestop, Smythes Toys) so it doesn't look as bad as some past consoles.

Aspiring

Yep, and people in the price-reveal thread were trying to argue the Switch isn't overpriced here compared to Xbox One S and PS4... ie: "It's not a direct competitor to PS4 and Xbone, you can't compare them!". What a load of waffle.

It's not sold-out anywhere as far as I know, has there even been marketing for it here? I haven't seen a TV ad, although I don't watch a whole lot of TV.

Have to admit I was in the thread early and everyone at that time seemed like it was overpriced. Who could argue it is not? Like I have said whilst I am enjoying zelda and a few other nintendo do games to come, aint nobody gonna buy this, when they could get an xbox or ps4 for same price or cheaper. Sales will be interesting when they come.

I had a look mid morning yesterday, it was pretty easy to get a grey one then and there were even a few neon versions out there. So without a pre order, I still could have got a Switch pretty easily. (South West UK).

I didn't though, been playing BoTW with my son on Wii U instead.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amazon Prime Now had games and accessories and more available within the hour... meanwhile the Nintendo store still cannot make freaking launch day and I am stuck waiting for Royal Mail which just got the package today... it is like Nintendo does. It care for its public image sometimes...

Spman2099

I predict there will be slightly strained, but fairly regular, availability in a month. Unless, that is, Nintendo decides to do that thing where they create an artificially manufactured, heightened demand by declining to ship any more units...

There is no Christmas rush in March... Scalpers won't be able to maintain their wares, and stores will become stocked pretty soon.

Depending on how successful switch is, it might actually be easier to get one in a week than in November when Mario comes out.

Xando

Walked into a gamestop and picked one up while selling some games last night (Germany).

Was there to buy the Wii u version but couldn't resist.

It seems there are more stock problems for games rather than the device itself

Spman2099

Bingo. Scalpers are trying hard to make it a shortage I think, and people are willing to wait.

It's really as simple as that.

Holy shit, you aren't lying. I went on to my local craigslist equivalent and my relatively small city has, like, twenty Nintendo Switches on sale at an increased price. Fucking scalpers... I hope they end up holding their dicks and taking a loss.

Plasmid

My local GS had 6-7 left this morning. The clerk said they got cleared out at 9 AM, amiibos, accessories, chargers everything. They had a very limited stock when i went in around 3 PM.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Damn near everything Switch-related was sold out near home, but the Target close to where I work had at least a half-dozen systems. Both cities being in the Nashville area.

Glad I bit the bullet and decided to give zelda and switch a miss. Only concern is how long it takes Nintendo to have a regular amount of switch in stock. Fingers cross the issue is solved by May.

catmincer

Super easy to find in New Zealand. Oddly I had trouble getting Zelda for Wii U, it was sold out at most stores I tried.

Nosgotham

I got one from wal Mart the morning of release
My friend camped at best buy at midnight and they did not run out, they received 100 units.
My other friend walked into best buy last night and picked one up.

Seems like they are supplying more than most system launches.

PantsuJo

Well, in Europe should be available everywhere, I think.

As for my country (Italy), you can order one from Amazon.it, GameStop and other retailers without any problem.

I suspect the stock shortages are only US related.

NEO0MJ

Holy shit, you aren't lying. I went on to my local craigslist equivalent and my relatively small city has, like, twenty Nintendo Switches on sale at an increased price. Fucking scalpers... I hope they end up holding their dicks and taking a loss.

Not when it's so easy to return things. Where I live most stores only offer a 3 day return and I think days exchange limit but in the US I think you have a month to return something?

Bluth54

Yep, and people in the price-reveal thread were trying to argue the Switch isn't overpriced here compared to Xbox One S and PS4... ie: "It's not a direct competitor to PS4 and Xbone, you can't compare them!". What a load of waffle.

It's not sold-out anywhere as far as I know, has there even been marketing for it here? I haven't seen a TV ad, although I don't watch a whole lot of TV.

There has been some TV ads in the US.

But yeah even though the Switch is launching mid gen and is sort of it's own thing compared to the Xbox One and PS4 it's not in a vacuum in the market. The Switch needs to compete with systems that have a much larger libraries for a lower price which it's not doing a very good job of.

I live in a Portland OR area city. The Target right down the street still has the gray model. Doesn't look like you can get the neon so easily though

There has been some TV ads in the US.

But yeah even though the Switch is launching mid gen and is sort of it's own thing compared to the Xbox One and PS4 it's not in a vacuum in the market. The Switch needs to compete with systems that have a much larger libraries for a lower price which it's not doing a very good job of.

It doesn't help when the graphics aren't even close to as good as something released 3 1/2 years ago. It doesn't even seem much more powerful than a Wii u.

scoobs

My friend camped at best buy at midnight and they did not run out, they received 100 units.

That or the demand isn't as high as other launches.

Harmen

I live in the Netherlands. Looking at online retailers, it seems to be out of stock.

Looking at scalpers online, there seem to be plenty of options. And a lot of those aren't even that more expensive (30 euro's more than retail does not seem like much). Furthermore, I have seen options promising a 4-5 days delivery when you order now, so I assume stock will be back fairly soon in the regular non-gaming stores. That, and it is not a holiday season so less people are jumping to buy big presents for their kids/family.

Shiggy

Demand in Europe doesn't seem particularly high. High price, few ads, pretty much only Zelda at launch, release outside of holidays - that all adds up. The supply for Wii U in its first month was 900k in Europe/Australia, for Switch it's lower.

gtj1092

Wonder how many they shipped day 1. I would imagine at least one million day one. Considering X1 and ps4 were able to ship that many. Would expect near 2 million though if the want them all sold this fiscal year. With another 500K through out the month. If demand is really high I wonder if Nintendo would be willing to fly them in like Sony did at ps4 launch. Doubt it though.

Smowza

Neo Member
Surprised they did that. Still better to do that and not make any mark up at all on it than piss off a customer who pre-ordered and run the risk of losing that customer

Yea I figured that's why they did it which is nice of them, but it's fundamentally wrong that when you pre-order they really don't know if you will get one but your not given that impression. What if in this case Argos had none? Man..... I'd be pisssssed

Harmen

www.venturebeat.com/2017/01/31/nintendo-still-aims-to-ship-2-million-switch-consoles-by-march/amp/

Seems like Nintendo aimed to ship 2 million consoles, which is less than the PS4, for example.

Edit: Not so sure about the ps4 being more, can't find the shipping number.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wii U's were basically never supply constrained. Day one at any given retailer, there were probably some collecting dust on shelves.

So either they shipped more conservatively (or correlated to more accurate levels of interest), or this is an early indication that it's doing much better than Wii U (as we'd all certainly hope).

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
It's really weird it's sold out anywhere while in Australia every retailer is well stocked. I don't think it sold out in a single store

Goldboy

Have a friend who can't find one anywhere here in the US. Makes me a bit glad I wasn't planning on getting the Switch for a while anyways, although I definitely feel for everybody who really wants it but can't find it anywhere.

m00h

Banned
It was sold out everywhere in Germany (at least everywhere in Düsseldorf) yesterday. But I was told several time that the retailers will be restocked next week and I could place an order to get one in the next days, since the demand isn't that high.
Also pro controllers and zelda copies everywhere in stock.

flohen95

Sold out everywhere in my neck of the woods (a region in western Germany). Several stores (Saturn, GameStop etc.) had signs up stating that you won't be able to get a console unless you preordered (with one saying that you'd be getting one from the second shipment if you put down a deposit of 50€), and the store I went to at opening time was sold out of free stock immediately after.

This is of course anecdotal evidence, but I bought my Wii U (at launch) at the same store that the Switch sold out in in minutes, where back in 2012 I went to the store at around 3pm and just walked in and bought one (with numerous still left), so it's quite a difference in situation at least in my region.

sneas78

Banned
I went all over to look for accessories.. could not find anything .. then I stopped by my local target .. they had stock.

I love in San Diego and multiple targets still have switches available. I haven't checked any other retailer but target seems to still have at least a few.

Strings

It's really weird it's sold out anywhere while in Australia every retailer is well stocked. I don't think it sold out in a single store

The price here is particularly stupid, so /shrug. I wonder if they'll push it down to parity with the US (so lop $50 off), because that would make it look way less silly than the current price ($480), which is what a 1TB PS4 Slim with UC4 and Horizon is going for :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom