• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

bchan555

so can anyone please explain the trash ass story to me? like Treat me like a 5 year old when telling it me as it makes no sense to me lol

also despite the story and wonkiness I am still enjoying the hell out of it.

Did you play the first game? If not, the basic premise is this (spoilers obvi):

Sauron is awakening and about to do some bad shit. The LOTR movies have not happened yet.

Talion (the main character) is chilling with his family when one day Sauron's army rolls up and kills them all. Instead of dying, his body is hijacked by the ghost of the Celebrimbor, who made the famous rings of power.

In the old days, Sauron tricked Celebrimbor into making all those fancy rings for him. When Celebrimbor realized Sauron was bad news, he tried to fight back but was ultimately killed. His angry elf ghost has been hovering around for thousands of years waiting for an excuse to get back at Sauron.

Now that Talion and Celebrimbor have joined forces, they go to Mordor and try to fight Sauron, who is building armies but has not quite woken up yet. This is the point of the first game.

At the end of the first game, you try to defeat Sauron's minion The Witch King. You get your ass kicked and decide the solution is to create a NEW ring of power that will rival the one that Sauron has.

Now on to the second game:

Talion and Celebrimbor make a NEW ring of power. It's just like Sauron's ring of power, but it's got blue letters on it instead of red ones and isn't super evil. Unfortunately, you run into Shelob (the big spider from LOTR), who in this game also has the power to shapeshift into a sexy lady.

Shelob rips Celebrimbor's spirit out of Talion. This is bad, because Celebrimbor's ghost is the only thing that's keeping Talion's body alive. Immediately after the elf ghost is ripped away Talion begins to die. Shelob offers to give the angry elf ghost back if you give her your sick new ring. You give her the ring. Celebrimbor is returned to you, but now he's pissy because his sick ring is in the hands of a spider lady.

Now the two of you don't have your ring but still want to fight Sauron, so you help the last enclaves of humans in Mordor fight off the Orc hordes the old fashioned way. Shelob is helping you out along the way by showing you visions of the future, but she's not really on your side either. Somewhere in between all the orc killing you are hoping to get your sick ring back from her.

I think that's the basic setup. Hope that helped. I'm not too far into this game yet.

Previously on Keeping Up With the Gondorians:

Men watch Mordor border, including Talion a blank canvas we call proto-gone-ist. Sauron (big bad guy that cosplays as Sephiroth) has orcs and other bad guys that kill men. Bad guys kill the border patrol including Talion, the wife he pressed F to kiss, and his son. Talion merges with force ghost called Celebimbo in death because reasons. Celebimbo had an etsy page in a previous age selling jewelry. Sauron commissions a whole line of rings but twists them so they're evil. Celebimbo is super bummed and isn't cool with this, so Sauron murders the wife he pressed F to kiss and his kid. Talion and Celebimbo realize they have some shit in common and start slicin' bad guy trying to get back at Sauron. Eventually they make their own bling ring to challenge Sauron.

This was funny but I know the story and I barely understood that. LOL

DrBo42

Is the story actually trash or are people just saying that because it isn't really respectful to LOTR's lore?
It's pretty low energy with focus on characters that are predictable and not super interesting for a large portion of it. I like some of the other elements but the tone is wildly inconsistent.

First CTD on this game. I got a "Your GPU cannot handle any more commands" I have checked online and it seems to be a bug with SoW. I have 7700k 32gb ram and a 1080ti so its not that

Bad7667

Played for 4 hours today and completed the first siege mission. I fucking love this game. I knew I was going like it because it looked like the first game and I love that one too.

I love these games so much. I can easily see all of the issues both games have. Yet they just don't bother me. I truly think it's because of the nemesis system. There isn't a game system like it and because of that I can ignore some of the faults.

Also I love how often the game is giving you something to level. I feel like after every big fight I get a skill point or some loot or gems. And I really enjoy the weapon challenges.

Anyone that loved the first game and wanted more to play needs to play this game. It's better in every way.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is the story actually trash or are people just saying that because it isn't really respectful to LOTR's lore?

I don't mind it. I actually had a moment where I went "Oh crap!"

How Minas Ithil came to be in the movies.

I know it's not cannon, but it's telling a story of what happened between the Hobbit and LOTR.

There is an overwhelming amount of crap going on in this game. I’m still in act 1 and I can’t believe the amount of stuff they dump on you so quickly. Almost a bit too much!

The shadow strike pull ability is so good.

Super effective for when you want the white or green uruks who are walking around in a pack or surrounded by a bunch of enemies.

Just pull them to you and take what you want :)

Yeah but Shadow Strike is the best mobility ability in the game. Double jump into midair shadow strike to warp all the way across a camp without being noticed just feels so good.

Okay, I've played 12 hours in the last couple of days, this game definitely has me hooked.

Thoughts on the daily challenges:

I managed to instantly get 50 Gold for killing a drake by starting a
flashback mission where you start riding a drake
and instantly doing the kill dismount, which was hilarious.

On the other hand, I went through over an hour's play for a 500 Gold daily which said "Kill an Overlord" and decided to win the fight by shaming him, which didn't trigger the reward. I suppose it DOES say kill, not defeat!

bugulu

Thanks for clearing it up, but is there any reason to increase the hit counter anymore?
I'll put points into Might increasing abilities.

Just did a Vendetta Mission, one smart troll chased me to the top of a balcony just cuz I blew up his grog. I don't even know where the sucker was when I was using L1 an dhe just ninja ambushed me. Whooped his ass though.
Also I now have 18% EXP gain :V

WIthout having the game in front of me so I could check up the name and if I remember correctly, one of the perks that you can get increase your critical hit chance if you have over 20 hits.

We need to rep Shadow in the Screenshot thread

Game can look pretty amazing at times with loads of character

I’ll get on that tomorrow

Jintor

is that story assassin you off early on guaranteed to come back?

dude jumped me a few missions later and he had a goddamn hive of insects burrowed into his skull.

is that story assassin you off early on guaranteed to come back?

dude jumped me a few missions later and he had a goddamn hive of insects burrowed into his skull.

Same thing happened in my game, Ive killed him again and hoping he comes back again.

Jaraghan

Finally hit Act 2 and got the Dominate skills. Now the game REALLY opens up. I've already got a plan in place for the Siege. I'm going to get myself a bodyuard who I'll summon during the fight, each Assault Leader will be a troll tank, and I am going to infiltrate both Warchief positions with high ranking orc buddies.

God damn the Nemesis system is utterly fantastic. I am shocked no other games have adapted this.

The loop of this game isn't really grabbing me. It's just non-stop killing of mad-libs orc chiefs and following
gollum

You're still in act 1. Wait till you get to act 2.

I'm about to finish Act 1 and I share the same feeling as the other poster. I couldn't play this game for more than an hour or two in a session.

What's changed in Act 2 which could make the gameplay loop totally different and refreshing? All I know is that you can capture Orcs.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm about to finish Act 1 and I share the same feeling as the other poster. I couldn't play this game for more than an hour or two in a session.

What's changed in Act 2 which could make the gameplay loop totally different and refreshing? All I know is that you can capture Orcs.

Man. You have been posting about the game way before I have and I'm far ahead of you.

You build an army and attack fortresses. The nemesis system expands.

Stop whatever you're doing and focus on building armies, killing the ones you think are inferior, and go forth an pillage.

Man. You have been posting about the game way before I have and I'm far ahead of you.

You build an army and attack fortresses. The nemesis system expands.

Stop whatever you're doing and focus on building armies, killing the ones you think are inferior, and go forth an pillage.

Haha yeah, it's quite boring as I expected but I bought the game in a glimpse so it's all on me.

Interesting. I guess this is a similar case to 'Get off Hinterlands!' in Dragon Age Inquisition.

BigDug13

How am I supposed to equip these loot box orcs into the army? Everytime I kill a captain, his body just sits there in the army slot and I can't fill it with my own dudes, even after I advance time.

Pheace

Haha yeah, it's quite boring as I expected but I bought the game in a glimpse so it's all on me.

Interesting. I guess this is a similar case to 'Get off Hinterlands!' in Dragon Age Inquisition.

If you're not enjoying the 'gameplay loop' to that extent you might as well move on to the next game. That loop is the basis of the game and that doesn't change in act 2, it just expands on it.

How am I supposed to equip these loot box orcs into the army? Everytime I kill a captain, his body just sits there in the spot and I can't fill it with my own dudes, even after I advance time.

Once you're in act 2 (+2 minor missions) you can access your garrison through the market and place them.

xviper

i have the game but haven't played it yet, is it as repetitive as the first one ?? you just go and kill high ranked orcs over and over and over ?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I make it sound simplistic, but what Monolith has done with the Nemesis system makes the simple idea of gathering an army and conquering the land a lot more complex and engaging than you expect!

Also I'm pretty sure they tripled the explorable size of the land mass of this game compared to the first one.

I'm having an absolute blast.

DrBo42

I know some were claiming the Outlaw and Slaughter tribe DLC was live, is that actually true? I'm thinking not as I haven't seen any of them.

If you're not enjoying the 'gameplay loop' to that extent you might as well move on to the next game. That loop is the basis of the game and that doesn't change in act 2, it just expands on it.

I make it sound simplistic, but what Monolith has done with the Nemesis system makes the simple idea of gathering an army and conquering the land a lot more complex and engaging than you expect!

Also I'm pretty sure they tripled the explorable size of the land mass of this game compared to the first one.

I'm having an absolute blast.

Yeah, I think I'm good with the current pace. I don't have anything to play until AC Origins anyway (except for backlog, but who cares about backlog?), and it seems that the game is not that long. Thanks anyway, looking forward to start the Act 2 tonight.

im_dany

Finished Act 1 earlier, really liking the game, I'm glad they gave us from the start the perks that made the first one fun (instead of waiting X hours). Can't wait to try the expanded Nemesis system, I already rectruited two captains

liezryou

When both orcs have fire weapons in a duel...

ImpossibleRepulsiveChimneyswift-max-14mb.gif

Finished Act 1 earlier, really liking the game, I'm glad they gave us from the start the perks that made the first one fun (instead of waiting X hours). Can't wait to try the expanded Nemesis system, I already rectruited two captains

When do you gain the option to Dominate orcs? Is it a story beat you have to pass?

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
When do you gain the option to Dominate orcs? Is it a story beat you have to pass?

Get it at the start/middle of the first area of act 2. Id recommend finishing most of the first area of act 2 and gain access to most army features before going off to kill orcs.

Get it at the start/middle of the first area of act 2. Id recommend finishing most of the first area of act 2 and gain access to most army features before going off to kill orcs.

Ah I see, and here I am chasing orcs trying to break them in the first act lol

im_dany

Ah I see, and here I am chasing orcs trying to break them in the first act lol

They added many new features I don't really want to spoil, but I think it's much more satisfying right now than the "let that orc kill me a few times and hope he drops a good item" in the first game.

ryseing

The loop of this game isn't really grabbing me. It's just non-stop killing of mad-libs orc chiefs and following
gollum

Mainline your way to Act 2. I really feel this should be in the OP. Act 2 is when you get to start doing the fortress stuff, aka the best part of the game.

It doesn't excuse the pure crap that is the Prologue/Act 1 but there's a really good game here once you get past those initial three hours.

liezryou

Anyone know a way to let the Orc pit fights/duels keep running in the background while alt tabbed? Tried full screen, tried windowed, nothing will do it. And afaik there's no way to skip them is there?

It's getting tedious leveling up my orcs

Pheace

Anyone know a way to let the Orc pit fights/duels keep running in the background while alt tabbed? Tried full screen, tried windowed, nothing will do it. And afaik there's no way to skip them is there?

It's getting tedious leveling up my orcs

I also looked for this but to no avail sadly, because I do love them pit fights. I'll probably just place my laptop next to it for now.

I still need to get used to the slow walking animation. There is also a slight hint of input lag on the right analog stick which I don't have with other games (PS4).

Reading this thread I don't seem to be the only one with that. I hope they address it with an upcoming patch.

Weebos

Banned
Reached Act 2 last night.

I'm playing on Nemesis and am level 15, which is at least 2 levels below the lowest captains lol.

Time for SHAME.

Jintor

uh is my nemesis actually intended to be fucking impossible in the arena bit? I am level 8, he is level 18, and he is a defender class (so invincible to front attacks), has vault breaker, no instant-kill weaknesses, and i barely do any damage to him at all in any event. He's dazed by carragors and stealth, but he also instant-kills carragors if you attack him from the front, which is just fantastic considering how garbage they are to ride. Holy crap. It doesn't help my fucking game is still HITCHING every minute or so

There's this one orc named "Holgrik the Survivor" who literally will not die. He must have come back to fight me at least 7 times. The last time, I decapitated him so I'll be interested to see if he comes back with his head stitched back on or something.

Khoryos

uh is my nemesis actually intended to be fucking impossible in the arena bit? I am level 8, he is level 18, and he is a defender class (so invincible to front attacks), has vault breaker, no instant-kill weaknesses, and i barely do any damage to him at all in any event. He's dazed by carragors and stealth, but he also instant-kills carragors if you attack him from the front, which is just fantastic considering how garbage they are to ride. Holy crap. It doesn't help my fucking game is still HITCHING every minute or so

If he's dazed by stealth, leg it around the walls and try to get a drop attack in - the wraith sprint can get you some real distance to break LOS.

Top Bottom