• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs - Welcome to Chicago Trailer

Hated that camera work in the first 40 or so seconds for some reason. I'll wait for reviews on this instead of pre-ordering. Most interesting part was that I learned I was saying Ubisoft incorrectly all this time.

Ah, someone else noticed too. They were horrendous. Not sure what they were going for.

Distract you from noticing what the game looks like

jayu26

ifGQss9q9Rjvr.png

Yeah this really stuck out...

you know for an open world game that's this dense I think it looks just fine. Pretty great, even. Certainly not how it looked in 2012 but whatever, it's far from ugly.

Why's someone always gotta post some bullshit kneejerk screenshot on the first page? Like that's not gonna steer discussion in a shitty direction off the bat. Why also do you guys not remember what games actually looked like last generation on consoles before you make dumbass comparisons? It's not the prettiest game in the world but it's no PS3 game LOL

Endless

Some (new?) info that Ubisoft sent along with the trailer

Watch Dogs Q&A

Q. Are there day/night cycles in the game?

A. Yes, there is a real time day and night cycle. Time of day is not scripted.

Q. What weather systems can the player expect to experience?

A. We have a lot of different weather possibilities from sunny and calm, to stormy and rainy. Wind, rain, fog and clouds all have several degrees of intensity and are all systemic.

Q. How do you manage to ensure every NPC is unique?

A. Every NPC has unique qualities that distinguish him or her from others in the game. There are over 3000 character kits and an almost infinite amount of unique profiler possibilities.

Q. How many concurrent NPCs can there be?

A. The number of NPCs players can encounter at one time depends on a variety of factors like time of day and location. If it’s mid-day, then players will see more NPCs going about their busy lives. At night, we have fewer NPCs reflecting the patterns we see in the real world. The downtown core of Chicago is also a busier area with lots more citizens than a more industrial region, for example. Our main goal was to ensure that the world feels as alive as you’d expect in a major city like Chicago. And of course, the next gen consoles allow us to place more NPCs in the world than we’ve ever been able to do in current gen consoles.

So it’s hard to give specific numbers, but rest assured, the city will feel alive like players have never seen before with many unique NPCs populating the city.

Q. Can you hack absolutely every NPC in the game?

A. Yes, every NPC can be hacked. Based on their profile, a variety of hacks are possible. You can also hack elements in the world to influence the behaviour of NPC’s around.

Q. What different environments can the player expect?

A. Chicago is a rich and diverse city and we want the player to explore every inch of it There are 6 different districts in WD, all with really different looks, types of NPC’s and vibe.

Q. How many different vehicles can the player drive?

A. Over 75 different vehicles from bikes to compact, heavy, muscle, off road, SUV, luxury cars, or speed cars, all of them with their own realistic physics.

Q. How many difference hacks are available in the game?

A. Over 100 hacks.

cakely

Looks like the other thread got deleted.

I live in my own property in Chicago, right in the city, not in "Chicagoland". I bike to the loop every day to get to my office, and I'm very familiar with the local landscape.

I really want to see the game version of Chicago, but from this footage it doesn't look like it got the deluxe treatment that NYC and LA got from the GTA games.

My expectations are extremely ... managed for this game.

nelchaar

Why is it running at 15fps?

ifGQss9q9Rjvr.png

The reveal trailer...
Such promise much hope

Hot damn..

EDIT: After watching the whole video, it actually looks pretty good (except for that shot). It's not infamous SS, and there is a downgrade, but it's not too bad. Will get it.

Each subsequent trailer, I realize more and more that I was only excited for this because of the tech. This game is kind of doing nothing for me.

RiggyRob

This is interesting - the Wii U version is still listed on the trailer for the normal game but not the collector's edition, and in what I assume is the NA version of the trailer that was in the other thread, the Nintendo eShop is also mentioned at the end along with the Wii U. Does this mean it might get released digitally only in certain regions?

ViciousDS

Banned
Also, it's way too fucking sunny to be Chicago. Chicago's terrible weather is one of the key facets that brings the dreariness/character to the city and it's culture. The place is really only enjoyable from early June to Late October.

Yes, the weather around here isn't great lol, its always cloudy and windy as shit. The only time I enjoyed riding the train into the city and seeing everything was in June right before it got scorching outside. Anytime we have gone in the fall its always to cold due to the lake effect or just dark and cold. It's very rare to see the Sun shine that bright for more than an hour into the city due to city structure and buildings.

This is how it should look and feel!

9557971305_78a7db5e34_o.jpg

Honestly they should have just made a GTA rip-off. The whole "hacker" thing is meh now and they had the team and resources to pull It off.

dreamfall

I'm really enjoying the voyeurism in Chicago angle they're going for. I'm excited to explore a new open world, visual downgrade and all. After the delay, I really wondered how the game design would be changed, and their Rockstar-inspired trailer was neat. There are some cool NPC behavioral reactions, and the city (outside of the terrible lighting) looks pretty.

cakely

you know for an open world game that's this dense I think it looks just fine. Pretty great, even. Certainly not how it looked in 2012 but whatever, it's far from ugly.

Why's someone always gotta post some bullshit kneejerk screenshot on the first page? Why also do you guys not remember what games actually looked like last generation on consoles before you make dumbass comparisons? It's not the prettiest game in the world but it's no PS3 game LOL

After putting about one hundred hours of play into the Xbox 360 version of GTA V I'm very familiar with last generation open-world console games look like. The answer is "Much, much better than Watch Dogs". GTA V had some jaw-dropping scenery and lighting.

For sure - you know l had this pre-orded since April 09 2013 but the downgrade has put me right off.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but it sounds like GTA5 PC/XONE/PS4 is around the corner.

GTAV is GTAV, Watch Dog is Watch Dog: two different open world sandbox games. You forgot about gameplay another time.

Seanspeed

Banned
Why is it running at 15fps?

ifGQss9q9Rjvr.png

The reveal trailer...
Such promise much hope
Game that you're excited about = post the best pictures you can find

Game that you're not excited about = post the worst pictures you can find

I agree that looks bad. It looks quite good in other areas, though. I agree it has a GTA'ish look to it, which isn't terrible in my opinion.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Yes, the weather around here isn't great lol, its always cloudy and windy as shit. The only time I enjoyed riding the train into the city and seeing everything was in June right before it got scorching outside. Anytime we have gone in the fall its always to cold due to the lake effect or just dark and cold. It's very rare to see the Sun shine that bright for more than an hour into the city due to city structure and buildings.

This is how it should look and feel!

9557971305_78a7db5e34_o.jpg

Honestly it feels like the devs spent a week in Chicago, driving through the areas and taking photos. Disappointing, hopefully it comes across better when the game is released.

Top Bottom