• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution Controller Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrylamid

sammy said:
True, in the video the buttons are labled as X and Y --- and also double-labled with 'a' and 'b' next to the button 0_o confusing
But look at the way the letters are written.
I guess the idea is (/was), that when playing NES-style, these are the standard a and b buttons, but when you hold the controller Revolution-style, they are X and Y to complement the big A and B buttons.

Xellos

Some random thoughs:
1) WTF. I Rev comes with a Wavebird so devs can still do a traditional game.
2) How will this thing work for N64 or SNES games? No shoulder buttons and only 2 face buttons within reach at any time?
3) I wonder how comfy holding this and the separate analog will be. Seems awkward. I was thinking it wouldn't have enough buttons, but then again the d-pad is there so that will help somewhat.
4) B-trigger looks pretty funky. Will it be this gen's Z-button or Z-trigger?
5) This thing will be great for minigames and point and click stuff. And hopefully it can do a little revival for light gun shooters; it looks like the closest thing to a pack in gun since the NES Zapper, and it'll work on my RPTV. Gumshoe/Duckhunt NES downloads with support for this controller would be great.

Overall I'm pretty interested in this. It's growing on me. I think Wavebird will have to be supported simultaneously, though. This will not work well for certain established genres (e.g. Pikmin, Wario, FE, and maybe even Zelda would work, but Smash Bros on this?).

I didn't read the whole thread, but as IGN mentioned, the Revolution logo is removed from every promotional pics that Nintendo released recently. So I wonder what are they cooking in the name department.

As far as the controller goes, I think it's awesome. I'm a little bit worried that the sensors might not work properly under some light conditions or something like that, but I'm not too familiar with the technology so hopefully it'll work flawlessly.

The lack of screenshots and additional games announcement bother me though, I now wonder when they are planning to show final pieces of the puzzle.

verplant

revsig.png

When Kojima himself says you've DONE IT, you know you have to be on the winning team, so join the Nintendo side people....join the revolution. Nintendo will change the way we play games forver.

hell i won't even waste my time posting here as much as i do because i will be too busy enjoying the Revolution. Games today are boring as hell.

Thank you Nintendo. Thank you for bringing me out of my gaming depression although it took you 9 years to do it :)

PkunkFury

Are the numbers 1-4 on the bottom of the controller a dissappointing indication that 8 player wireless isn't in the cards for this machine ?

:(

norinrad21 said:
When Kojima himself says you've DONE IT, you know you have to be on the winning team, so join the Nintendo side people....join the revolution. Nintendo will change the way we play games forver.

hell i won't even waste my time posting here as much as i do because i will be too busy enjoying the Revolution. Games today are boring as hell.

Thank you Nintendo. Thank you for bringing me out of my gaming depression although it took you 9 years to do it :)

Two things: If the great games are spaced out like Gamecube games, you'll have PLENTY of time to post here unless you get another console. If the software support is high, then you won't have enough money to keep up.

Sure it's great, but don't expect your life to change.

scola said:
little photoshop I just made. Make it happen Ninty.

I want to swap the big A button and the d-pad and make the big A an analog stick. then you have two different gameplay configs simply by flipping the controller around instead of an attachment. This set up lets you dual weild in double "wand" double analog formats and double "wand" double button setups.

hold it classic style for an snes pad fuck the n64

I am to tired to finish it now so :p

revocon.jpg
What you have there is perfection. Not sure about the dual analog though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Argh... unfortunately I see at least some very cool possibilities with this controller :(... I am sad because my wallet will be hurting like crazy next year :(.

Backward-compatibility, GCN controller being supported, new controller (I do not think I'd like it for a side-scrolling Mario game... I trust my thumb presses more than the speed of my wrist hehe ;)), but finally we might see Metroid Prime with free-look ;). Revolution should be quite nice :).

I do not own many, one or two, multi-platform games on the GCN: if they price Revolution cheap enough it will be a GREAT companion for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3.

Some people are right, even if Revolution tanks, Nintendo will have made a good amount of 1st party games to keep the console worth having in your house.

The GCN, for example, counting Super Mario Sunshine, the two Zelda's (one is coming shortly), Resident Evil: Remake, Luigi's Mansion, 2 Super Mario Kart games, etc... does not seem like a worthless purchase to me.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
PkunkFury said:
Are the numbers 1-4 on the bottom of the controller a dissappointing indication that 8 player wireless isn't in the cards for this machine ?

what if the 4th light and the 1st light are use to represent 5th player and so on? you could have a few more players

Ruzbeh

Banned
PkunkFury said:

Who cares, Nintendo Revolution goes online!

Chrono

Banned
I still don't know what to think about this. I need to play a game (NEXT-GEN MARIO!!!) and get a feel for it. I guess I'll be on the fence for a year until it's released. >_>

I want Nintendo to release it with one of those 'shells' they keep talking about so I can snap the remote + analog stick together or something like that.

HeadsUpSevenUp said:
Two things: If the great games are spaced out like Gamecube games, you'll have PLENTY of time to post here unless you get another console. If the software support is high, then you won't have enough money to keep up.

eh...it won't chnage my life since there are other factors already doing that but it will get me out of my gaming depression.

I will own a PS3 and a Rev! PS3 for boring traditional games and Rev for an awesome new experience that takes gaming to a whole new level never seen before.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Panajev2001a said:
I do not think of that one much... well never played it... yes, sorry... three.

you never played it and you don't think much of it? heheh maybe you should try it, it's quite good fun.

heavenly

I was wondering if there would be a DS player for the Revo before seeing the remote...well, now, they don't even need a DS player, since the remote and a TV screen will act as one. I guess all DS games would be availabe for downloading. Or come as extra on Revo discs. That means I wouldn't need a DS handheld.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Shinoobi said:
What you have there is perfection. Not sure about the dual analog though.
actually I am going to change the face buttons to Green Red Blue and Yellow, then you can hold it any direction and it still makes sense.

I will finish it tomorrow.

as far as the dual analog goes I was just trying to get at the multiple possible configurations fleshing out the controller a little more brings.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
HeadsUpSevenUp said:

Think you're forgetting the MASSIVE back NES, SNES, N64 and NGC catalog that Nintendo has in its disposal now it can use to fill out its release schedule. Spacing out and revamping 10 or 20 old games ready for download in a dry spell (which will happen, I fear) and Nintendo is rolling in the cash once again.

IMO, if they can launch games (heck even one!) that truly takes advantage of the capabilities of the controller ala Super Mario 64, they are set for the generation. With the definite success potential in Japan, plus the cash making cows of downloadable games and add-on peripherals, I just don't see any way they can do worse than they have done this generation console-wise. IF THEY GET THAT KILLER APP, which I hope will be a truly revolutionary Mario title. Anyone that predicts the standard third party line in 2008 or whenever is either stupid or delusional. Nintendo has made some utterly stupid decisions in the past, but I think the overall design of the Revolution is probably one of their most brilliant move.

I've given myself some time to cool off before posting, and I needed it, because my initial reaction was almost worse than when I first saw Wind Waker. My first thought was "Nintendo's gimmicked themselves into an even tinier niche market."

Now that I've had some time to digest, watch the video, and read a few impressions, here's what I think:

1. Nintendo's gimmicked themselves into a tiny niche market.

2. I really want to try that thing.

3. There's no way it will be precise enough, or work how we're being told (but not shown) that it will. That video makes me think they can't get it to work right yet.

4. The add-on analog stick sucks. Ever try playing Goldeneye in dual analog mode (one controller in each hand)? It sucked. You need the second hand to help steady the controller.

5. Monkey Ball could be awesome! Descent, too (spaceorb style).

6. I really want to try that thing!

7. Smash Bros. better not use that thing.

8. It really, really needs more buttons.

9. I really, really want to try that thing!

As you can see, I have very mixed feelings about it. I kind of like it, but it really scares me that this gimmicky device might kill all "normal" game development out of Nintendo's studios.

methodman

Banned
It's funny that when I look at the Nintendo Revolution I can't get over how sexy it looks, then I look at a game like MGS4 and I can't believe that I will barely ever have a chance to play it (I'm still debating over an X360 or PS3 - Don't really have a prioritized choice yet). But I've realized that better graphics don't do anything except awe me anymore. Am I having fun looking at these graphics? Maybe? Some games are better for having nicer graphics, but then the gameplay suffers. Gameplay is always going to be the defining factor in a game, and when the graphics (for certain developers) goes to such a high level, the gameplay suffers. MGS is going to be one of those games where gameplay and graphics are superb and streamlined, so I wasn't talking about it.

But then when I look back at the Revolution and all these incredibly cool idea's come to my head because the controller is so different, you think that maybe game's could be different in the sense of being fun. Sometimes fun = different. Most of the time it doesn't, let's just hope Nintendo found the right one.

japtor

OniShiro said:
1P X[][][]
2P []X[][]
3P [][]X[]
4P [][][]X
5P XX[][]
6P []XX[]
7P [][]XX
8P XXXX
nuts to that. it can go to 10, and its not confusing at all!:
1P X[][][]
2P []X[][]
3P [][]X[]
4P [][][]X
5P X[][]X
6P []X[]X
7P [][]XX
8P X[]XX
9P []XXX
10P XXXX

now if only the revolution could go to 11.

Ristamar

Ruzbeh said:
:lol

Sure!

Anyway. Here's my add-on idea for SNES games that Nintendo could very well be doing:

addon.jpg

One problem. Two, actually: L button, R button.

They'd probably be better off just putting 4 buttons down there to begin with... unless they're looking to milk the add-ons.

Flynn said:
All this LOVE OF THE MEDIUM stuff reminds me of hardline comic book readers, who think that the beginning and end of comic books is guys in tights. Broad mainstream appeal, like the breadth of Manga readership, requires more accessablility and more diverse content. Right now gaming has neither.

90% of games are about a)soldiers b)sports figures c)fantasy characters. And the control schemes are all overly complicated. Give game designers buttons and they'll use them. Pychonauts, a game I loved, used nearly every button on the Xbox controller -- for a platformer.

I've argued this before, but there's a distinct possibility that gaming is going down the same path of other geek mediums, such as comic books. It's not hard to forsee a future where gaming becomes so complicated and so mired in adolecent fantasy, that no one but the most devoted are interested in participating.

Nintendo's efforts here are a valiant one. I guess I sort of understand the reaction from the haters here. They're taking the conservative stance, for preserving the status quo of graphical upgrades and production values.

I think there's room for both Nintendo's direction and the now-traditional approach.
Well, this is the best post in the thread by far. I agree completely.

I want to play a Mario Fishing with this thing.

DEO3

How easily people have forgotten that the ancient ideas we've all become so used to, were all revolutionary once - and that it was Nintendo who brought them to us. D-pads, sholder buttons, analog sticks, controller vibration, wireless controllers... all brought to us by Nintendo. It's ironic to see people say, "Why can't Nintendo just give us a normal controller, like Sony and MS?" when Sony's and MS's controllers wouldn't be what they are today without Nintendo. In fact, they'd probably look a bit more like this:

2600.jpg

So kudos to Nintendo for doing what they've always done - making gaming better for us all.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Ristamar said:
One problem. Two, actually: L button, R button.

They'd probably be better off just putting 4 buttons down there to begin with... unless they're looking to milk the add-ons.
Hmmm.. damn!

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Is this going to be the only controller or are they going to have a normal one like the GC one?

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
The controller is fantastic.
Absolutely incredible that Nintendo managed to EXCEED expectations (at least based on wackiness and innovation).
The hardware is in place. Now, the question is whether or not the software will be up to par.

I want one.

Ristamar

Ruzbeh said:
Hmmm.. damn!

They could add some shoulder buttons to the right hand side, but it'd be hard not to hit them during right-handed "remote style" use. Perhaps they'll have an add-on or shell that wraps around part of or all of the controller.

Sunski

I think it is great! Something very refreshing. They have created endless control possibilities for next gen games, plus with ports for GC controllers it will still cater for the regular games.

Excellent!

kablooey said:
Man, I don't get it. This thread is proving my long-held theory that the people I like the most in OT are the people that annoy me the most in the gaming forum. (And vice versa, usually). Raoul and Drinky, I'm looking at you. :p

IAWTP, I love Drinky's opinions in the OT and follow his logic

I have a friend who kicks my ass for being such a Nintendo Fanboy, and yet we get along so well otherwise. He says he doesn't have anything in particular against Nintendo, but rather against my attitude towards them :) So for however much Drinky or Raoul annoys you in the Gaming Forum, imagine how much we annoy them :)

*huggles for Drinky*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom