• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS North American Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
ixWxR.gif

With the launch of the 3DS in North America, it's time for a thread to discuss its launch there! Join us as we share news, photos, and impressions of the new Nintendo handheld system in its first days available on the market.

FAQ

Where are the European and Australian launch threads?

The European launch thread is here.
The Australian launch thread is here.

How is the Internet browser?
How can I access the eShop and what will be available?
How can I transfer my DSiWare to the 3DS?

This functionality will be included in the May firmware update.

Will DSiWare be available from the eShop?

Yes.

Will I be able to use my old Wii/Nintendo Points on the eShop?

No, the eShop will use a payment system based on actual currency, and old point cards will not be redeemable.

Does the Circle Pad work with any old DS games?

Yes, it seems that the position on the Circle Pad gets translated to its d-pad equivalent. YMMV.

Does the 3D slider click or anything when switching between 2D and 3D?

No.

What language options does the 3DS have?

Language options depend on the region of the unit. In North America, Spanish, French, and English should be available.

Is the 3DS region-locked?

Unfortunately, 3DS and DSi-specific games are region-locked.
Eurogamer said:
We can confirm that the software is locked by region; inserting one of our Japanese 3DS games into our European machine produces no result at all – it's as if no card has been inserted. This remains a deeply disappointing decision for handheld devices which will be taking a lot of long-haul flights. (However,our European and Japanese 3DS consoles were able to swap data via StreetPass.)

Are old DS games region-locked, too?

No, they're all playable.

How do old DS games look on the 3DS?

By default, they're stretched to fit, though it's possible to reduce the display output to the original resolution. Hold the start and select buttons as you run the DS game.

Do old DS games get logged like 3DS games do in the activity history?

Yes.

How do you set your favorite game?

Scroll to your profile in the friend list and tap the icon at the top of the screen to change your favorite game. The Mii-related options are spread out across the friend list, Mii Studio, and Mii Plaza, so this can get a bit confusing.

Can you name an old DS game as your favorite for your Mii profile?

No.

Does the system come charged out of the box?

It reportedly has about half a charge, long enough to get set up and start playing.

How long does the battery last?

Depending on the settings and usage, between 3 and 5 hours. Standby has yet to be precisely measured, but it lasts longer than one is away from the charging cradle.

What's the point of the charging cradle?

Ease-of-use, really. It's easier to slap the system down in the cradle than to stick the wire into the back of the system and set it so it won't come out. The aim is probably to make the 3DS something that you want with you at all times.

Can I plug in the 3DS while I play instead of hooking it to the cradle?

Yes.

Will the 3DS take the same charging adapter as the original DS?

No, but the AC adapter for the 3DS and DSi, model number WAP-002, is included.

What kind of memory storage does the system have?

The 3DS comes with a 2GB SD card for your data and has 2GB of internal flash memory for system use. SDHC cards of up to 32GB are supported.

How are pictures stored?

3D pictured are saved to the SD card as two files, one JPG and one MPO.

Can I view pictures taken on another 3DS?

Yes. Files are stored as such...
\DCIM\100NIN03\HNI_0001.JPG
\DCIM\100NIN03\HNI_0001.MPO

You can have multiple folders at the "100NIN03" level with different digits, containing pictures that are identically-named in different folders.

Can the 3DS will display MPO images from a non-3DS source?

Yes, FinePix MPO files were successfully loaded here.

How is music stored?

The 3DS Sound Channel will detect MP3s stored anywhere on the SD card.

Is the Sound Channel usable for things like playing/downloading RSS podcasts or Internet radio streams?

For the music app, there doesn't appear to be anything specifically for downloading streams, but you could load MP3s anywhere on an SD card and the system will find it.

How do Friend Codes work? How long are they, and can you rename them?

Friend Codes are shared by all software system-wide. They are 12 digits, with hyphens after the 4th and 8th digits. There doesn't appear to be an option to rename your friends, as you automatically get their name and Mii when registered. Friend names are the same character length as the old DS. It also shows what your friends playing if online, how recently they were online if not, their pick for favorite game, and their greeting. All of 3DS online games use this friend list.

Do both people need to add Friend Codes, or is it a request based system?

If your friend adds you first, you will not see any sort of request on the system. When registering in exchange, though, your friend's profile data comes up right away.

Can we now simply scan a Mii QR code with the 3DS camera, and not have to input the long Friend Codes?

No, scanning QR codes simply adds custom Miis to the Mii Studio, not the Mii Plaza or friend list.

The Wii has a "send Mii to..." option that you use to send Miis to registered friends. Does the 3DS have something like that available instead of scanning each other's QR codes?

No, there currently isn't any private messaging to people on your friend list. Exporting and scanning Mii QR codes is how you would add Miis to the Mii Studio.

Do you get the other person's Mii into the Mii Plaza by exchanging Friend Codes?

No, exchanging Friend Codes adds a person's Mii and profile to the friend list, not the Mii Studio or Mii Plaza.

How is StreetPass Puzzle?

You get puzzle pieces from new people you meet through StreetPass. There are 15 tiles in each 5x3 puzzle to collect to form some image. The images will show scenes of Nintendo characters.

Where can you wear the hats you earn in StreetPass Quest?

Anywhere within the Mii Plaza program: StreetPass Puzzle and the Plaza itself. Hats do not appear in your friends list or the Mii Studio. In StreetPass Quest itself, your Mii is wearing a crown as the abducted royalty.

Is turning StreetPass on & off quick and easy? Can it be done while you're playing a game?

StreetPass settings are in the options for each game that uses it, so ease-of-use will vary by title. Wireless communications can be turned on and off by flicking a switch on the right-hand side of the unit.

In Super Mario 64 DS, in the Options, there was an in-game option to turn the backlight on or off. Does this still work?

Michan has helpfully provided the answer...
Michan said:
When you use the Backlight: On/Off option in Super Mario 64 DS, it not only shuts off the lights, but switches both screens completely off. It acts almost like sleep mode, except the system is still active.

I was too afraid to leave this option permanently "off", since neither screen displays any content so there is potential for it to leave you without a playable 3DS (unless you are somehow able to navigate back).

I'd recommend against tweaking this option, due to the above.

For people who are having eye strain/motion sickness, are you just switching the 3d between max and off? I'm pretty sure the slider doesn't make the effect stronger, it adjusts the focus because everyone's eyes are a little different.

I'll be the first to tell you that you have to get the slider adjusted correctly, but a lot of the stress comes from getting out of the sweet spot and seeing cross-talk, getting light from the opposing image in the wrong eye. If you move your head or the system fast, it'll shutter the image like a lenticular card. It makes AR Games or anything using the gyro hard to play with 3D on.

What if I damage/lose some of my AR cards?

You can print out new ones with no problem. There is no data on the cards, only patterns which the AR-enabled software recognizes. You can even print out super-sized cards for some interesting AR photos with bigger characters.

Is there rumble functionality?

No.

Is Pictochat still available?

No.

Can I use the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector with the 3DS?

Yes.

Are there any bugs or strange design choices?

Yes.

1. The indicator light for online friends and StreetPass doesn't always turn on when it should be. The indicator light for 3D doesn't always turn off when it should be.
2. When new Miis appear in the Mii Plaza via StreetPass, exiting the Mii Plaza or going to the entrance to retrieve more new Miis before utilizing them in StreetPass Puzzle or StreetPass Quest forfeits their help. New StreetPass arrivals are limited to 10 people at a time. In Japan, the Mii Plaza was not explained in the manual itself, but briefly outlined in an additional leaflet.
3. You can see what your friends are doing in the friend list, but you can't message them individually. You can only set one message at a time to be broadcast to everyone who happens to look at the friend list. There are no friend requests, only mutual registrations.
4. StreetPass functionality in the Sound Channel is limited to measuring affinity in musical tastes, and track picks are not shared. While tracks continue playing with the lid closed when headphones are inserted, it's not possible to keep them playing going into another program.

Are there any DS accessories that are incompatible with the 3DS?

Yes.

Face Training [NTR-014]
Slide Adventure Magkid Slide Controller [NTR-012]
Nintendo DS Browser Memory Expansion Cartridges [NTR-011][USG-007]
Nintendo DS Headset [NTR-019]
Nintendo DS Magnetic Stand [NTR-022]
Nintendo DS Rumble Cartridges [NTR-008][USG-006]
Arkanoid DS
Daigassou! Band Brothers (Jam with the Band) Request Selection
Guitar Hero: On Tour

Do normal headphones work?

Yes.

I have an addition/question/correction!

For questions, please post here in the thread. If you're a 3DS owner and want to add additional info or provide corrections, please PM me.

HARDWARE

Screens: 3.53" 400x240x2 3D parallax barrier screen, 3.02" 320x240 resistive touchscreen
Weight: 230g
Dimensions: 5.3" x 2.9" x 0.83" (134mm x 74mm x 21mm)
Colors: Cosmo Black, Aqua Blue
Graphics: PICA200
Input: Circle Pad, touchscreen, microphone, accelerometer, gyroscope, 3D depth slider, buttons: D-pad, A, B, X, Y, L, R, Start, Select, Home
Cameras: 3 640x480, 0.3 megapixel cameras, 1 interior and 2 exterior for 3D photos and possible future video
Media: 3DS cartridge, DS cartridge, SD card
Connectivity: 802.11b/g wireless
Region-locking: All DSi and 3DS software region-locked, DS software remains region-free.

AVAILABILITY

Approx. 1,600,000 units on Sunday, March 27th @ $249.99

LAUNCH SOFTWARE

03/27

Asphalt 3D
(Ubi Soft)

Bust-a-Move Universe
(Square-Enix)

Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
(Ubi Soft)

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (LucasArts)

Madden NFL Football (EA)

Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
(Nintendo)
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends (Nintendo)
Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends (Nintendo)

Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
(Konami)

Rayman 3D (Ubi Soft)

Ridge Racer 3D
(Namco-Bandai)

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
(Tecmo-Koei)

The Sims 3 (EA)

Steel Diver
(Nintendo)

Super Monkey Ball 3D
(Sega)

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
(Capcom)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (Ubi Soft)

POST-LAUNCH SOFTWARE

TBA
Dead or Alive: Dimensions (Tecmo-Koei)

Rabbids: Travel in Time
(Ubi Soft)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D
(Ubi Soft)

REVIEWS

CVG: 3DS Hardware
Eurogamer: 3DS Hardware
GameFocus: 3DS Hardware
MSNBC: Six Things to Love and Hate about the Nintendo 3DS
The Sixth Axis: 3DS Hardware Unboxed
Telegraph: 3DS Hardware

Game Rankings 3DS game reviews
Metacritic 3DS game reviews

Stumpokapow said:
Early Metacritic rankings for 3DS titles:

Super Street Fighter IV: 3d Edition - 84
Ridge Racer 3D - 78
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - 77
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D - 74
Pilotwings Resort - 71
Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends - 70
Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends - 70
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends - 70
Rayman 3D - 69
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - 68
Samurai Warriors Chronicles - 59
Super Monkey Ball 3D - 58
Steel Diver - 58
Asphalt 3D: Nitro Racing - 54

LAUNCH PHOTOS

Coming soon!

LAUNCH VIDEO

Coming soon!

PODCASTS

Coming soon!

LINKS

Nintendo 3DS Official Site
Amazon 3DS Sales Rankings
Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch |OT|
Nintendo 3DS European Launch |OT|
Nintendo 3DS Australian Launch |OT|
Nintendo 3DS™ - Friend Codes - The official thread of sharing numbers... in 3D!
Cheesemeister's 3DS photos from Kyoto

pslong009

Neo Member
I pre-ordered a blue 3DS online from Best Buy to pick up from a local store. Anyone know how close to launch that they would start sending out emails about whether or not that pre-order has been fulfilled? I put in the pre-order on one of the first days that Best Buy actually had the online pre-orders available.

Likely picking up Shadow Wars and Pro Evo as launch titles.

Hype hype hype!

I'm getting a Cosmos Black 3DS with Pilotwings and Nintencats. Also this case:

Unfortunately my Gamestop isn't doing a midnight launch so I'll be getting up early Sunday morning.

Hatty

Does anyone think gamestop will let me switch colors when I pick it up?
the gamestop guy I talked to on the phone didn't know.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ready for next Wednesday when Amazon will finally get it here.

Can't wait. I settled on Blue 3DS with Street Fighter and Ridge Racer. After reviews come in for Rayman 3D, I will make a decision about buying it and/or dropping Street Fighter for it.

Also, I feel bad saying this considering the nice work on the threads and all, but isn't having a thread for every region a little overkill? I mean, I understand the Japanese one because it came out early in Japan. But now, with the 3DS coming out pretty much everywhere, it will probably get a little redundant. I was thinking more like the Pokemon Black/White threads... There was a Japanese thread and now, there's an International one. Of course, if you don't mind the extra work updating all the threads, then it's cool.

poweld

Thanks for the OP, Cheese! I am currently preparing my body for all the 3D's.

Pre-ordered a black 3DS from Amazon w/overnight shipping, as well as Pilotwings. Looking forward to playing with my new toy next Tuesday!

Why would you do that? said:
Also, I feel bad saying this considering the nice work on the threads and all, but isn't having a thread for every region a little overkill? I mean, I understand the Japanese one because it came out early in Japan. But now, with the 3DS coming out pretty much everywhere, it will probably get a little redundant. I was thinking more like the Pokemon Black/White threads... There was a Japanese thread and now, there's an International one. Of course, if you don't mind the extra work updating all the threads, then it's cool.

If the mods want to merge the threads, I don't mind. Considering that the system itself is region-locked, I figured the launch threads might as well be separate, too.

DarkWish

Thanks to a generous donation by the owner of the site I write for, I'll be buying a 3DS either at launch or soon after! Aqua Blue, here I come!

samoset

Getting cosmo black and Super Street Fighter IV for myself, but might be tempted to go and pick up Ridge Racer sometime this week.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Cosmo Black with Pilotwings and Street Fighter for me. I may pick up Steel Diver a little later on but I want to at least get some first hand impressions, or try it out myself if I get the chance.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The 3DS will be the first Nintendo hardware I've bought at launch since the N64. Can't believe how long ago that was... I feel old.

Chocoboko

Can't believe it is almost here. Have it pre-order at Gamestop. Plan to do the midnight launch shenanigans.

I AM READY.

Nice OP. Can I plug in the 3DS while I play instead of hooking it to the cradle? And will it take the same charging adapter as the DS Phat?

samoset said:
Getting cosmo black and Super Street Fighter IV for myself, but might be tempted to go and pick up Ridge Racer sometime this week.

Same other than RR but I there are a lot of DS games I missed out on that I need to get.

UberTag

Just switched my black 3DS preorder from Amazon to Future Shop earlier this morning due to 3 things:

1) Amazon.ca had my expected delivery date as either April 1st or 4th. I don't read too much into these typically but it seemed pretty clear about it not shipping out until the middle of next week.

Estimated delivery date for Future Shop ranged from Tuesday (the 29th) until Friday (the 1st). Oddly enough, this shipping date changed when I added SFIV to the equation so I left the game with Amazon.

2) Future Shop is bundling in a cheap starter kit (including a case, extra styluses, wrist strap, etc.) at no extra cost.

3) I had Future Shop gift cards left over from Christmas.

Also, I feel bad about not buying Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. Ubisoft's embargo has prevented me from knowing whether it will actually be any good.

Having a midnight launch at my GS, so I hope to pay it off between my closing shift and prepping for the launch. Got a black one coming to me and am deciding if I'm going to pick up my Nintendogs + Cats pre-order (got Golden Retriever for the Shiba Inu).

Also deciding if I want to pick up Ridge Racer as well...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Launch will like this to me. The only title I didn't include here that I thought about was Nintendogs. But it looks like the exact same title as the DS version. Dog walks were really depressing. It looks so uneventful and barren landscapes. The inclusion of the Miis too, argh. The dogs do look fantastic, and everything else looks like crap.

I picked Pilotwings, because it seems like a great demonstration of the 3D abilities and has a nice crisp look. Street Fighter for my pick up and play title. Steel Diver and Rayman might depend on reviews, but I'm heavily leaning toward forgetting about Steel Diver altogether. The minimal 3D effect, the short play time, the 'meh' graphics. I hope more feedback comes out about the multiplayer, and how that is, because that's the specific aspect that would sell me on it.

s9yy9.jpg

+
xxs9I.jpg

+
OluPb.jpg

And maybe one of these..

Zqx8Z.jpg

Or..

TQ7Qf.jpg

Cheesemeister said:
If the mods want to merge the threads, I don't mind. Considering that the system itself is region-locked, I figured the launch threads might as well be separate, too.
I like it the way you did it, for the record.

vatstep said:
The 3DS will be the first Nintendo hardware I've bought at launch since the N64. Can't believe how long ago that was... I feel old.
The only other system I've ever gotten launch day was the GBA, 10 years ago. Crazy!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've got a Blue US 3DS and games on order from VGP, plus a black UK one that I pre-ordered ages ago. I'll probably just plonk the latter straight on eBay and buy another one on the cheap when the inevitable EU exclusive games start popping up.

I'm interested to see whether StreetPass will work between EU, JP and US games, I know that Iwata said it did with Nintendogs, but it would be great if it worked with other games as well. It might make the horrible stench of region locking just a bit more tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom