• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

Shauni

Hw long has Weinstein been around?

I wonder if he's the serial rapist that Corey Feldman has been talking about all these years

Possibly, but I think that was in reference to someone raping and sexual assaulting young men and so far nothing about Weinstein that's come out mentions his behavior toward men. But the floodgates are open, so who knows what we'll discover

rjinaz

McGowan called it assault so it must have been considered pretty serious on her part, serious enough to tell Ben about it, reaching out the somebody and not wanting to be at the conference the next day.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Tarantino is like the last person I would expect to be clueless
Yeah reading the description of the inglorious basterds strangling scene makes me think that Tarantino has his own issues with women.

Wait. Weinstein raped McGowan?

And Asia Argento as well. Two other women have come forward with rape accusations. Thats 4 rape accusations in total.

He's probably raped and sexually harassed and pressured countless other women. Probably lots of women relented to his pressure and will always be far too embarrassed to ever admit it.

Ben Affleck shouldn't have made a statement. Should've kept quiet.

Blader

Yeah reading the description of the inglorious basterds strangling scene makes me think that Tarantino has his own issues with women.

There has been some stuff said about Tarantino over the years, but its been more about his fetishes than any kind of abuse or assault, far as I know.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He could've spoken up about it.

Yeah, wow, it's hard. "What did you expect him to do?"

Maybe care about other human beings suffering more than his own career

Cray thought, huh

A shit ton of people didn't speak out about this because they knew it was career suicide if they.

Seesaw15

Depending on what point in his career, he possibly could have. He's gathered a lot of power as a star and producer over the last decade. He very possibly had the clout to at least get this stuff out in the public without risking a lot of career damage.

Does it say anywhere what year McGowan told Affleck? I read that she received a settlement from the Weinstein Company in 1997 and that her and Ben worked on two movies in 97/98. If it was around that point in his career I don't know how much power he would have had to do anything. Either way its a bad look for Batman.

Since the early 90s.

I'm not really sure what your point is now, I just thought "Ben Affleck is lying about Harvey Weinstein" triggering a "this is the end of American society" post was kind of a dumb connection.

This is all, frankly, a good thing. Horrible that these assaults happened at all, but better that they and Weinstein be exposed eventually than not.

Affleck has been in multiple positions of power throughout his career.

Not against someone with their own movie studio. That's why no one did anything.

That can't be a real quote.
The fuck..

If you’ve ever watched an interview with Affleck it actually fits his speech patterns really well.

Damn, I like Affleck’s work and he’s been great on humanitarian issues. But this is certainly shitty behavior at the very least.

I like Rose, but what did you expect him to do? Is Ben Affleck somehow in a position of power to do anything about it?

He, like countless others, knew. And it sounds like he tried to tell Harvey to stop, but his words fell on deaf ears. As for any power he had, Weinstein is why Affleck has a career. Same for Damon, and again, countless others.

Well, at least he isn’t lying about knowing...not that it helps. He was just powerless and scared to make a difference. And I know people condemn him, Ava DuVernay, Meryl Streep, Obama, etc. but the reason these allegations are finally sticking is financially motivated to take away Harvey’s power. It’s a sick industry that’d be ready to bury anyone to speak out.

giga

Re: Rape. It's in the New Yorker story but doesn't mention Rose.

Three women—among them Argento and a former aspiring actress named Lucia Evans—told me that Weinstein raped them, allegations that include Weinstein forcibly performing or receiving oral sex and forcing vaginal sex. Four women said that they experienced unwanted touching that could be classified as an assault. In an audio recording captured during a New York Police Department sting operation in 2015 and made public here for the first time, Weinstein admits to groping a Filipina-Italian model named Ambra Battilana Gutierrez, describing it as behavior he is ”used to." Four of the women I interviewed cited encounters in which Weinstein exposed himself or masturbated in front of them.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
When did we hear that it was rape?
A year ago. She hasnt specifically named him cause when he raped her she was advised the case would go nowhere cause of who he was. She ended up settling out of court with an nda that won’t let her name him but she dropped enough info last year that people guessed it was Weinstein and has basically confirmed it that’s who she was talking about with her recent tweets.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ed-from-hollywood_us_58014db8e4b0e8c198a83dd1

2FgC5Ww.jpg

And Asia Argento as well. Two other women have come forward with rape accusations. Thats 4 rape accusations in total.

He's probably raped and sexually harassed and pressured countless other women. Probably lots of women relented to his pressure and will always be far too embarrassed to ever admit it.

Ben Affleck shouldn't have made a statement. Should've kept quiet.

Edit: above post is appreciated

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Cray thought, huh
You mean like the victims spoke up about it? There’s a reason they didn’t. And a reason he didn’t. It was pointed out in the Terry Crews tweets. “Do you like your paycheck? Do you like having work? Do you like being ostracized from all of that?”

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. It’s super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. It’s another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now you’re selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinstein’s out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who “stood by and did nothing” did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or don’t work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.

Cray thought, huh

Not really your place to do that if someone confides in you as a friend, unless they ask for your help in doing so. The quote gives the implication that Ben had previously confronted Weinstein personally about his behavior.

Fronting like he didn't know is obviously fucked up, but unless you're actually in the room you can't throw out accusations without the affected party's consent.

It’s like Lou Perlman who got NSync, Backstreet Boys, etc started. Everyone knew he was preying on these boys, including parents, but nobody said anything. Throw that on top of his Ponzi scheme and you have a thoroughly vile human being.

jrush64

Banned
You mean like the victims spoke up about it? There’s a reason they didn’t. And a reason he didn’t. It was pointed out in the Terry Crews tweets. “Do you like your paycheck? Do you like having work? Do you like being ostracized from all of that?”

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. It’s super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. It’s another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now you’re selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinstein’s out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who “stood by and did nothing” did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or don’t work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.

I agree with you. Also Fuck Weinstein.

Goodstyle

..... um. Yes.

He's Ben fucking Affleck.

And judging by his reaction, he did do something. It was most likely nothing more than an aside, but he did say something to Harvey about it. Denying it now, though, just makes him scum.

To be fair, Ben is an ant compared to Harvey. Not saying Ben is excused, but Harvey may not be a household name, but he was incredibly powerful.

Brad Pitt knew and didn't do shit even when it happened to his girlfriend AND wife.
Clooney likely knew and didn't do shit.
Meryl too.

The only reason Harvey is finished now is because people of equal power to him wanted him gone.

A much needed post.

Opto

Banned
The issue is less about what he could have done when he knew it, but McGowan's anger is the supposed shock he experienced, as if he didn't know years before Weinstein was thoroughly exposed.

Hollywood is a cesspool but as long as you are making someone money they will try to bury your crimes. Not sure how it changes but it needs to happen.

rjinaz

And I'd guess they'd hope that someday they'd make it big enough to take these fuckers down. I mean, I think that's how my mind would try and deal with this, not that I'll ever be able to understand.

Famassu

Yeah, all of Hollywood's "we are SHOCKED to learn about these things, I mean, we knew he had some issues with women but not that he had actually harassed & assaulted so many of them" crap seemed very fake & obviously all/most of them lying. This kind of thing doesn't stay secret in these types of circles. Word spreads around when something this big happens repeatedly. People get a reputation for less serious things than rape.

Hero

Fuck Weinstein and fuck Affleck. Hollywood loves to act all holier than thou with their campaigns and messages but lets shit like this go on and sweeps it under the rug.

And I'd guess they'd hope that someday they'd make it big enough to take these fuckers down. I mean, I think that's how my mind would try and deal with this, not that I'll ever be able to understand.

Nah. Sorry fam, your giving them too much credit.

So Affleck and Damon won an Oscar together for the screenplay for Goodwill Hunting. Presumably they are or were at least close friends once. Damon says he doesn't know shit. McGowan is saying Affleck knew. Are you telling me that if you found out Harvey fucking Weinstein raped McGowan you wouldn't tell Damon? That'd be like if you and your best friend worked together and you found out your boss raped your female co-worker. Are you telling me you wouldn't tell your best friend? Seems weird. It sounds like most of Hollywood knew but turned a blind eye. I feel bad for McGowan because it's like she's being victimized all over again.

Yeah. Plus the attitude isn’t all that helpful in getting others to come forward.

I don’t think people entirely comprehend how powerful of a force Harvey Weinstein was (it’s nice to say ‘was’) in Hollywood.

rjinaz

Nah. Sorry fam, your giving them too much credit.

I'm giving a woman that was raped too much credit for saying it's possible they didn't say anything because they'd hope they could stay in the industry, make it big, and take these fuckers down?

You lost me.

It's likely most of Hollywood knew, and didn't say anything. The entire town is filled with sick twisted fucks, and has been since forever. That people are surprised that big names like Affleck and Damon knew and didn't do shit actually saddens me. I doubt anyone that works in Hollywood is completely innocent.

Want your blood to really boil? Think of all the kids in Hollywood right now, and what they may have had done to them already. And nobody dares say a word lest their careers get ruined.

Yado

It's more about him releasing a statement feigning ignorance than him being a champion for rape victims in Hollywood.

Fuchsdh

Cray thought, huh

As pointed out, you can use that train of thought on McGowan, too, though. She took hush money to further her own career.

If her allegation is true, Affleck absolutely has to live with not doing enough to prevent a rumored abuser from continuing to operate. But that goes along with everyone who stayed silent.

I'm giving a woman that was raped too much credit for saying it's possible they didn't say anything because they'd hope they could stay in the industry, make it big, and take these fuckers down?

You lost me.

Again, you can use that excuse to justify anyone's silence. "I was really angry about hearing about what Weinstein did, but I decided the time was not right. I'm going to bide my time until I'm a bigger star!"

Top Bottom