• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

szaromir

Banned
Some of you people must realise it's a photo mode picture and move on. Its only purpose is to reveal in-game Master Chief model (aka the series' icon). When Naughty Dog reveals photo mode pictures no one complains and everybody just looks at the quality of modelling, textures, lighting etc.

We're going to see in-game footage in a few hours anyway.

EvB

No, I'm pretty sure that when a developer puts out a trailer for a game that's exclusive to one console, that trailer is supposed to represent the final product as it looks on that console.

It's no different to what other developers do, whether it's Issuing Photo mode screenshots in GT5 as in-game or whether it's epic flat out cheating or whether it's Uncharted having screenshots issued with additional AA passes applied to them.

GavinGT

Banned
This... is the kind of discussion I was hoping for.

Baseless, highly unlikely conjecture is what you're looking for?

It's no different to what other developers do, whether it's Issuing Photo mode screenshots in GT5 as in-game or whether it's epic flat out cheating or whether it's Uncharted having screenshots issued with additional AA passes applied to them.

And it's fucking terrible and it needs to stop.

Some of you people must realise it's a photo mode picture and move on. Its only purpose is to reveal in-game Master Chief model (aka the series' icon). When Naughty Dog reveals photo mode pictures no one complains and everybody just looks at the quality of modelling, textures, lighting etc.

Exactly.

I understand that as it's Halo (one of the biggest and most important franchises in gaming) it's open for a lot of scrutiny for this kinda thing. That said, I doubt these bullshots were done for the standard reason of misrepresenting in-game graphics, rather, to give fans something salivate over until we get actual footage.

GavinGT

Banned

Oh, I must have missed the part where they told us which parts to look at and which to ignore.

We lost a lot more than just AA and resolution from those Halo 2 and 3 bullshots, who knows what we'll lose this time. If its not ruining in real time on retail hardware its a bullshot and not in any way representative of the final product. Lets call it as it is and not do 343's spin campaign for them, they can manage that themselves.

To be honest, this isn't exactly a huge departure from Reach. The screenshots do their job fine. They give fans something to discuss(design, new gun, etc).

If the pictures posted were a jaggy mess, there would be an even longer thread bitching about that.

Does nobody else remember this screenshot released from Halo 3?
Halo3_MP_Isolation_1st-02.jpg

It was posted on..IGN I think, before B.net and people flipped shit about the trees, and the lack of AA. There was zero discussion about the Infection gametype, or anything else that screenshot revealed.

No, I'm pretty sure that when a developer puts out a trailer for a game that's exclusive to one console, that trailer is supposed to represent the final product as it looks on that console.

Aside from the fact that what you're saying technically impossible - code changes up to a month from release, so you should see a first trailer one month before release (by your logic) - it's also very subjective. That's your take on what developers should be doing. And becouse of that, you should stop generalising how developers try to deceive everyone, becouse I don't experience it that way.

EvB

Baseless, highly unlikely conjecture is what you're looking for?

And it's fucking terrible and it needs to stop.
Most people are never going to see these images or videos in their full bullshot form.

By the time most people have watched a trailer on Youtube or TV or on their console, it will of been compressed to fuck and looks worse than it does on TV.

Same with the screenshots, most of these will end up reduced to tinyvision with severe jpeg compression on them.

szaromir

Banned
Exactly.

I understand that as it's Halo (one of the biggest and most important franchises in gaming) it's open for a lot of scrutiny for this kinda thing. That said, I doubt these bullshots were done for the standard reason of misrepresenting in-game graphics, rather, to give fans something salivate over until we get actual footage.

I don't even think that the model's complexity is any better than what we had in Reach, in terms of geometry or texturing. Reach spartans already looked good enough IMO. It only shows that 343i nailed what MC should feel like, the model's different from Halo 3 but indistinguishably it's Master Chief.

wwm0nkey

And in a few hours?!? Just in time when I get home from work! Haven't been this excited for a 360 game in a long while...can't freakin wait :D

Yeah these screens just got leaked a bit early, there is a huge media blow out planed in a few hours.

I don't even think that the model's complexity is any better than what we had in Reach, in terms of geometry or texturing. Reach spartans already looked good enough IMO. It only shows that 343i nailed what MC should feel like, the model's different from Halo 3 but indistinguishably it's Master Chief.

Model is a bit more complex, yes. Textures..doesn't look like it. Looks worse in some areas, actually.

GavinGT

Banned
Aside from the fact that what you're saying technically impossible - code changes up to a month from release, so you should see a first trailer one month before release (by your logic) - it's also very subjective. That's your take on what developers should be doing. And becouse of that, you should stop generalising how developers try to deceive everyone, becouse I don't experience it that way.

The post of yours I quoted openly supported developers cranking all the visual settings to the max and then releasing the trailer and calling it "in-engine". This is your view on how developers should handle pre-release footage.

My argument is that developers should try to provide an accurate barometer for what their final product will look like.

Which side sounds more reasonable? You're basically straw-manning yourself here.

EvB

I guess that's the important thing, I was quite terrified at how 4 would turn out after playing Halo Anniversary, which was tragic in my eyes. So many visual conventions that were totally overridden, but this Screenshot shows that they are on the right path.

Last thing we want is Halo 4 looking Like Nexuiz!

Halo has always been pretty consistant between campaign and Multiplayer, Keeping the geometry down ensures they will still have the grunt to push 16 players on screen at the same time all firing rockets and needlers and grenades at the same time.
That's not to mention the split screen co-op of the game is famous for and the inclusion of 4 player online co-op in the campaign, which must have some bearing on design decisions that have to be made to accomodate these processor expensive modes.

We get less of this disparity anyway nowadays, but I think back to the days of Ghost Recon, where the Campaign looked just like you wanted it to and the Multiplayer looked like a Ps2 game!

dalVlatko

Not sure if I like the look.

I can't get too excited for a new halo game after how disappointed I was with Reach anyway.

Model is a bit more complex, yes. Textures..doesn't look like it. Looks worse in some areas, actually.

I'll have to disagree here. The weapon textures look better, the visor is obviously better, armor plates look at least as good and the parts underneath look more detailed, although the texture looks stretched in the first screen (it looks great in the orange shot).

The post of yours I quoted openly supported developers cranking all the visual settings to the max and then releasing the trailer and calling it "in-engine". This is your view on how developers should handle pre-release footage.

Partially, only if it's related to the context. I find it acceptable when a developers shows questionably good footage, along with telling us it is in-engine. I see nothing wrong with that. However, if I were to see that questionable footage and the developers labelled it in-game framebuffer footage for me to later find out it's not, that would be deceiving (che Forza 3 fiasco).

My argument is that developers should try to provide an accurate barometer for what their final product will look like.

Didn't they?

Just look at the difference between the two, it's impossible to provide that accurate barometer. As for the visual quality, apart from the MC model, they're pretty close.

Which side sounds more reasonable?

Both, and I agree with both. But what you pass trough as your arguement here is different on what you were willing to achieve by posting this and this

Trailers shouldn't be taken out of context.

I'd just like to say, before the horror takes hold, the screaming starts and the blood flows, that I freaking love Halo and it could look like Dwarf Fortress and still get my money.

I'll have to disagree here. The weapon textures look better, the visor is obviously better, armor plates look at least as good and the parts underneath look more detailed, although the texture looks stretched in the first screen (it looks great in the orange shot).

Weapon texture looks about the same as Reach. Weapon textures in reach were generally 1024X, I can't imagine they're going to going higher than that, unless they were going to split the weapon models into multiple pieces and have those each be 512x or higher..which is highly unlikely since the 360 has such little RAM.

Visor is better, yeah, but that's not really because of textures. Chances are it's probably the same setup they had in Reach. It's a few different decent res textures, with a cubemap showing through and a yellow tinted specular. Damn nice shader though.

Armor looks like the set up as Reach as well. Looks like it was split into multiple(possibly interchangeable) parts, and textured that way. Reach had a base body texture, under armor texture, and then different textures for each body part. These ranged from 128(for the smaller things, like the grenade belt, arm accessories, knife, etc), to 1024(this was actually just for the base Mark V(b). Most of the other helmets and main body pieces were 512. So with this, we're probably seeing the 1024x since it'll be the "base" variant(if there are even others, which I REALLY hope there are). My only complaint with the hard armor portions is that it's very...flat, in terms of highlights. A really dull metal look. And that the scratches and signs of wear look like crap..mainly the elbows.

The under armor is what bugs me the most. Looks really low res compared to the rest of the armor. In Reach, the "rubber" bits on the body alone had its own texture that was 1024x. It was really clean and looked GREAT up close in-game. I'd post the texture but I'm..pretty sure that's illegal.

pringles

Looks terrible.

Then again I can only see "bandwidth exceeded" so maybe once I see actual Halo 4 images I'll change my mind.

GavinGT

Banned
Partially, only if it's related to the context. I find it acceptable when a developers shows questionably good footage, along with telling us it is in-engine. I see nothing wrong with that. However, if I were to see that questionable footage and the developers labelled it in-game framebuffer footage for me to later find out it's not, that would be deceiving (che Forza 3 fiasco).

Every developer who does this knows better. They know that their final product isn't going to have flawless image quality, yet they do their best to convince the public otherwise. You act like it's general knowledge that this stuff is typically doctored, as if everyone knows not to take footage like this seriously. But you know better.

Didn't they?

Just look at the difference between the two, it's impossible to provide that accurate barometer. As for the visual quality, apart from the MC model, they're pretty close.

These kind of inconsistencies aren't conveyed very well in a Youtube video.

Both, and I agree with both. But what you pass trough as your arguement here is different on what you were willing to achieve by posting this.

Trailers shouldn't be taken out of context.

Again, you're acting like there's this publicly accepted context for videogame trailers, but no such context exists. People see a trailer and they go, "I wanna play that game!". The average consumer couldn't even tell you if a trailer was pre-rendered, or what that even means.

monome

Judging from those two screenshots alone, it doesn't look any different from Reach.

I was not excpecting Halo to become cell-shaded, nor XBOX360 to grow a new graphics card overnight.

Thanks Ajemsuhgao , I thought those were new leaky pics... you're expandiancy is much appreciated though. We at work when the reveal comes will live or die relying on those with rehosting skills!

Satchel

Banned
Judging from those two screenshots alone, it doesn't look any different from Reach.

That's significantly better than Reach. Anyone with functioning eyes can see that.

My issue is how close to gameplay they'll be. Need to see it in motion.

Top Bottom