• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

You shut your damn mouth!

Everything after Cottonmouth's death was garbage, so you're kind of right.

yeah Luke Cage is guilty of more wheel spinning that JJones

that said i still ate it up and was entertained

DD season 2s final bits were the only thing that let me down and i still loved everything else that was going on outside of that scene

im ok with Iron Fist being average casual entertainment i just dont want it to go below that

Kin5290

Carrying over from the Previews thread.
Yeah, an Asian Danny Rand doing kung fu would be great. As long as the character is treated with respect and made to be more than just being good at kung fu and kicking ass. Such a missed opportunity from Marvel...
Yeah, the thing I don't like about Asian Americans only being the nerd or the kung fu guy is that Asian American characters that are "the kung fu guy" are just the kung fu guy. An Asian American character could be kung fu and also have other character traits and motivations and that would be great, but too often "is good at kung fu" is their only defining characteristic.

Plus, Asian American kung fu guys are very rarely actual leads. They are often one note supporting characters, or love interests (if they are kung fu girls), but more often one note minor villains. Marvel Netflix is really awful at making its only Asian characters one note villains.

In this case, in the first 6 episodes that were reviewed there's only one Asian good guy and that's Colleen, who is a love interest that Danny acts condescendingly to (because that's... hot?), and everyone other Asian character is a bad guy.

I'm scared to watch it. I've loved the other Marvel/Netflix collaboration's and if Seppinwall doesn't even know if he'll finish it, well that's got me all shook up.

Damn it!

Bleepey

Will this thread be as entertaining as the BVS/SS RT threads? I actually want this show to be good and i will give it a chance. I don't know how this show can be bad, just learn where Arrow fucked up.

Kimaka

I really liked all of the other Marvel show, but I don't have high hopes for this one. Especially after reading that it is going down the mighty whitey trope route. It also doesn't help that the showrunner produced some of the worst television I've ever seen with Dexter.

Anung

Un Rama
I'll either watch this to see how bad it is or let someone here take the bullet and and watch whatever bits they say are good good or bad good.

I'm prepared for the worst. Bad critic reviews must mean it's dire as fuck.

okay, getting hopeful here again

yeah, those were good, sooooo

who?

scott-buck.jpg

Long, boring boardroom shenanigans followed by some of the worst fight choreography I've seen.

How bad is the fight choreography.
Like, i don't want to challenge your vision of it, this is more my last hopes, but couldn't it be that whenever Danny fights he goes for the more convoluted Kung Fu choreography

I mean, i watched the Coileen fight and it was pretty fucking terrible, but y'know how it is. While there’s life, there’s hope

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
oh god, those reviews are making sense now
wait didn't we have dude on some other marvel netflix show though? cause they've had their problems but i've enjoyed all of em so far

He's doing the Inhumans project that is filming right now.

How bad is the fight choreography.
Like, i don't want to challenge your vision of it, this is more my last hopes, but couldn't it be that whenever Danny fights he goes for the more convoluted Kung Fu choreography

I mean, i watched the Coileen fight and it was pretty fucking terrible, but y'know how it is. While there’s life, there’s hope

It is entirely possible that somehow Iron Fist pulls a reverse Luke Cage and gets good in the latter half somehow but I don't see HOW based on the first episodes.

The problem is that they build Danny up to be a "Living Weapon", someone who was built for a very specific task that involves WRECKING people. What is shown is Finn Jones poorly attempting to do some spin kicks and nothing feels "heavy" like Daredevil. Hell, Jessica Jones had better fight scenes.

It is entirely possible that somehow Iron Fist pulls a reverse Luke Cage and gets good in the latter half somehow but I don't see HOW based on the first episodes.

The problem is that they build Danny up to be a "Living Weapon", someone who was built for a very specific task that involves WRECKING people. What is shown is Finn Jones poorly attempting to do some spin kicks and nothing feels "heavy" like Daredevil. Hell, Jessica Jones had better fight scenes.

Thats sad.
If you can't make your Kung Fu fights in your show about Magical Kung Fu Man look good, whats the point of it existing.

Is the RZA episode good at least?

Sounds like I'll give this a pass. I really enjoyed Fraction's Iron Fist, actually it was the announcement of this show that got me to check out that series. I might just wait for people to highlight which (if any) episodes have decent fights

Hopefully the Defenders showrunner can do good things with Iron Fist. Daredevil Season 2 had those incredible hallway fights for Punisher and Matt. Only worry is that the fight choreographer for DD isn't working on Defenders

I read that Miguel Sapochnik (of Game of Thrones fame) directed an Iron Fist episode

Toa TAK

Banned
It's a huge bummer hearing how this has been received so far. I really love MCU's Netflix series, despite missteps, and are generally my favorite superhero tv shows. I think I'll still give it a go, but if it's that bad I probably won't binge it as I did the last three shows.

Well, like I said in the other thread, hopefully this dismal failure swiftly prompts Marvel to give Buck the boot, "cancel" Iron Fist and fast track a Heroes for Hire series.

I'm in a unique situation. Usually I've watched the Marvel Netflix shows with my Marvel fangirl sister, but I'm leaving to visit our mom in New Zealand who doesn't have Netflix. Last year I showed her Daredevil and Jessica Jones and she enjoyed then and especially LOVED the latter. I'll be watching the show blind with my mom this year. I'm hoping it could at least leave me the impression that there are good parts despite being the obvious weak link.

guek

Banned
Will this thread be as entertaining as the BVS/SS RT threads? I actually want this show to be good and i will give it a chance. I don't know how this show can be bad, just learn where Arrow fucked up.

I'll laugh for days if you end up loving this show :p

I'm still so disappointed that Finn Jones is Iron Fist. I was okay with white casting but then they picked him of all people and I just don't think he is a good actor. Now with the show apparently not looking so great, there's nothing to really look forward to.

It made me want Lewis Tan as Danny.

i had doubts about finn when they cast him too

but i thought, marvel has been really spot on with their casting so i'd give him the benefit of the doubt

plus i was sooooooooooo looking forward to the costume

and now ..... ; __ ;

still gonna watch and hope even if they cop out on the fightings, maybe they will capture some of that cute humour

wazza, come to girlgaf discord sometime? <3

Only watched Jessica Jones out of the Marvel tv stuff. Thought it was alright even though it got increasingly tedious by the end.

As a complete Marvel casual I might take a look at this one day but I'll do it by binging MCU chronologically when everything comes out.

Also really dig the Defenders idea.

Quick

Banned
Woo, I named a thread again! (great work as usual TheOddOne)

I've kept expectations to a minimum, so I'm still going to watch it.

Wish me luck, guys.

Ezalc

I suffered through Luke Cage and Jessica Jones and Daredevil season 2. I'm going to watch this shit too. It was my most anticipated and goddamn it I want to see how much they fuck it up.

from the previews, what I'm gathering is that danny rand is literally the "I'm an expert on Japanese culture honor and shame are a huge part of it" dude but substitute Japanese for all Asian culture and also how much better he is than Asians at martial arts.

honestly like even if an Asian lead who was real good at martial arts is sorta problematic, I would prefer that to a white boy who can't fight

from the previews, what I'm gathering is that danny rand is literally the "I'm an expert on Japanese culture honor and shame are a huge part of it" dude but substitute Japanese for all Asian culture and also how much better he is than Asians at martial arts.

honestly like even if an Asian lead who was real good at martial arts is sorta problematic, I would prefer that to a white boy who can't fight

Danny is this dude with bad beard.

MyVmvGW.jpg

Top Bottom