• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

I do own Splatoon on Wii U and I know it's a good game but I'm not really into shooters and multiplayer games. Considering my tastes, I probably shouldn't be excited about Arms either but for some reason, the trailers have really sold me on it. And I'm a big fan of Punch-Out Wii.

I was not into multiplayer shooter before Splatoon, but that game is great and I enjoy my time on it. Between Arms, Splatoon 2 and Fire Emblem Warrior in Fall, I am really happy about my purchase and optimistic towards Switch's future. I am sure you will enjoy it too.

mingo

Roll on next week, I've always preferred playing MK on a handheld. Despite MK8 on Wii u being better then both 3ds and ds I didn't play it as much. I always 3 starred everything but didn't bother on MK8.

I think having perfect framerates in a racing game should be the #1 priority going forward (dropping down from 1080p should be a necessary concession), and the online components are still bizarrely antiquated.

Some of the examples you gave are kind of silly, a few ugly textures in a lengthy third person narrative shooter isn't the same as engine performance for a racing game.

Well, bizarrely antiquated online features definitely describes Nintendo so I won't argue there. Performance in general definitely matters, but I still think that dropping to 30 fps for 3-4 player mode shouldn't diminish from a score. Worth mentioning? Sure.

Maybe that's just something we value differently, then.

Jealous of those going in without playing 8. Regardless I cannot wait to have this on my Switch and easily portable. My Brother and Father have Switches and we used to play Battle mode on the SNES allllll the time. We are all very excited to get together and play this on our consoles. Now my Mom who loves to play with us but has a hard time controlling it sometimes is excited again because of the assists they introduced.

Gonna be lots of good times ahead with this game. Again

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah but what you think is the #1 priority in racing games clearly isn't an opinion shared by reviewers or the general public. It's ignorable to most.

I think the game should have a beefy single player component, and that's far more important to me than dropping to 30fps for local 3-4 player multi (something I'd probably never do). But few people seem to agree with me there. Ah well.

My primary interactions with Mario Kart are as a party game and as something to chill out with when friends are over, which means it's always going to be 3-4 player mode splitscreen. I'm not sitting around all day racing my own ghost in single player, especially after I've unlocked all of the racers.

The lower framerate was a noticeable annoyance in the Wii U version, where my friends and family were like "wow it's so smooth" the moment someone tried out a single player mode while everyone took a break. That that's not improved in some way is kind of a drag. (I guess it still being 60fps for two players is an improvement, but not one I'd see)

8 more days...

image.gif

Yes I find that very confusing as you could play with friends in the WiiU version.

You could. But the online experience was woeful. There was no good way to coordinate and communicate with your friend without other devices or the Wii U messaging app, which couldn't be open at the same time as the game. When you or your friend joined a match, the racing flag would appear next to their name on the MK8 friends menu. You try to join their race, but it is full. You send a text or call your friend to let them know this happened. They leave their current room and try to join yours if you joined one, or just join another room. Error connecting to room. Repeat previous steps. Cool!, now we finally got into a room together. All but two of the other racers just left.

Instro

MK desperately needs some improvements to online functionality, and single player experience. I love MK8, but its kind of hard to get excited for it when the series feels like it's been coasting.

Fliesen

Amazing scores for what was already an amazing game on Wii U.

Switch keeps winning. - already pre-ordered, can't wait to play split screen with my GF on our next plane ride.

I'm 99% sure i played Mario kart 8 online with Eminem once.

He said in an interview a week or so earlier he brought a Wii U for smash bros.

His favourite character is donkey Kong, who he played as.

And his Mii looked like Eminem.

Had a picture on my old phone, will try to find it.

Cartho

Never owned a Wii U some this is gonna be my first time on 8. Last MK was 7 on the 3DS but I found it so uncomfortable I never really go into it.

LETS DO THIS.

You could. But the online experience was woeful. There was no good way to coordinate and communicate with your friend without other devices or the Wii U messaging app, which couldn't be open at the same time as the game. When you or your friend joined a match, the racing flag would appear next to their name on the MK8 friends menu. You try to join their race, but it is full. You send a text or call your friend to let them know this happened. They leave their current room and try to join yours if you joined one, or just join another room. Error connecting to room. Repeat previous steps. Cool!, now we finally got into a room together. All but two of the other racers just left.

I suppose, the GAF rooms were always overflowing so I was cool with it. Lots of people spamming "I'm using motion controls!". Good times.

Downhome

I will upgrade just for battle. It is very possible that my best multi-player gaming memories in my life is me and my cousin playing battle in MK64 over and over again. It's either that or the Japanese wrestling game VPW2.

As far as I'm concerned I wish Nintendo would release a full fledged, 100% battle themed, Kart game.

Piano

Banned
Do any of the reviews mention if the increase to two items messes with the game balance? I quite appreciated that MK8 races weren't overflowing with items after the intolerable chaos of MKWii. Worried that increasing to 2 items per racer will make it awful again.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Do any of the reviews mention if the increase to two items messes with the game balance? I quite appreciated that MK8 races weren't overflowing with items after the intolerable chaos of MKWii. Worried that increasing to 2 items per racer will make it awful again.

Curious about this as well. 8 felt cleaner compared to the mkwii chaos.

Plum

Not sure why that's funny for people who have no intention of forking over money for Nintendo's online services.

Should we dock points for every online PS4 or X1 game because some people don't want to pay for their respective online services?

Or, if you want to be pedantic, should the PS4/X1 versions of multiplayer games that were also on PS3 (Destiny, TLoU:R, GTAV, first few 8th gen CoDs) have had points docked because of said people?

Nice, my Pre-order from best buy should be shipping soon..

Now if only i had a Switch to play it on -_-

By the time I get my Switch I'm already gonna have a gaming collection smh...

Pinky

Banned
Should we dock points for every online PS4 or X1 game because some people don't want to pay for their respective online services?

Or, if you want to be pedantic, should the PS4/X1 versions of multiplayer games that were also on PS3 (Destiny, TLoU:R, GTAV, first few 8th gen CoDs) have had points docked because of said people?

But that's different because "reasons".

Not sure why that's funny for people who have no intention of forking over money for Nintendo's online services.

The idea is that paying for their online services will help make said services actually better, such that the online features of MK8D will actually be far better than those of MK8.

Of course we have no idea if that'll work out in practice. But that's the theory.

spekkeh

Banned
Awesome guess that battle mode really made
A difference

88 Was too low for what was clearly the game of the gen uptil BotW though.

I think a lot of initial reviewers were probably like "fantastic, but ultimately still Mario Kart", but then when they were still playing it six months later were probably more like "okay this is pretty fucking great".

TBF it's free until the holidays and is like $20 for the year it's shitty but hardly the most expensive of prospects.
yeah, that's pretty cheap compared to PSN & XBL, but I rarely ever go online with a Nintendo console, it's mainly for SP stuff and couch gaming with the family. I would use online so sporadically, doubt I'll sign up for it.

Torn between digital and physical for this. Have a fully paid off preorder from store credit but could move that to ARMs... First world problems I guess.

Glad to see this getting great reviews. I play a lot of 2 player so 1080p splitscreen is great to see.

ElNino

I'm surprised so many people are concerned with double dipping having an effect on sales.

MK Wii sold around 36 million copies.
MK8 sold around 8 million copies.

That is a loss of around 28 million.

I know the Wii sold much more than the WiiU but there are tons of Nintendo and MK fans who completely skipped the WiiU altogether. I think this game will easily outsell the WiiU version in the long term.
I haven't followed the sales thus far, but are there that many more Switch owners already than there were WiiU owners at that time?

Top Bottom