• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

Just thought I'd attempt cleaning up the new controller design.

I thought about how the prototype DS had the black going down the system, and thought it might break up the white making the system not look so wide.

And what happens when you make the whole controller black?
I dont think I've seen that yet.

And what happens when you make the whole controller black?
I dont think I've seen that yet.

Yeah, I was thinking about making a completely black one. I just don't really know how to go about changing the white without completely remaking the buttons etc.

I'm sure it wouldn't make it look wide. It's just an effect that slightly helps. Mainly it's there because it looks sleek.

Just thought I'd attempt cleaning up the new controller design.

I thought about how the prototype DS had the black going down the system, and thought it might break up the white making the system not look so wide.

I like the grips a lot, so I kept those like they are. There's a touch power button, but that could be an actual button, I don't really care.

Actually, I just thought about it, I kept only one of the mysterious squares. Just imagine that the other one is on there somewhere. It really isn't important for this concept anyway. lol

Here's an animation of how the screen is positioned in the frame.

ucontrolleranimation.gif

I like :)

Izick

The more I think about it, the only thing I'm concerned is, "as a Wii U gamer, will I have to worry about multiplatform games when the Nextbox and PS4 come out" besides that, I'm really not concerned at all. I know Nintendo is going to do their best with this thing. They want to foster 3rd party support, and they're trying to gain back the core audience, I'm just hoping that the Wii U can compete. As long as they develop the system with the next consoles in mind, and having just a Wii U is a viable option for gaming next gen, then I'll likely be more then satisfied.

Launch titles and stick placement is all little details that I know Nintendo will hopefully get right.

Why? What would just a touch screen serve? I'd rather it just be a solid piece.

In something like Skyward Sword, a game they have said will likely still use Wiimote/Nunchuck, the screen can still serve a function such as a map or other inventory screen clutter.

I would rather play ANY general shooter with Wiimote rather than analog, but I like the idea of removing screen clutter, or possibly having a different view of things, maybe viewable cameras you have placed, etc.

Izick

In something like Skyward Sword, a game they have said will likely still use Wiimote/Nunchuck, the screen can still serve a function such as a map or other inventory screen clutter.

Oh, I haven't played SS yet, it's sitting in the game pile right now, but I hope they still have options for regular button stuff in the next game. (I'm assuming you meant the next Zelda, right?)

Smellycat

I think I am done with GAF until Nintendo's conference. I don't want anymore leaks!!

We should start the spoilers free E3 streaming thread. I want to bookmark it.

The more I think about it, the only thing I'm concerned is, "as a Wii U gamer, will I have to worry about multiplatform games when the Nextbox and PS4 come out" besides that, I'm really not concerned at all. I know Nintendo is going to do their best with this thing. They want to foster 3rd party support, and they're trying to gain back the core audience, I'm just hoping that the Wii U can compete. As long as they develop the system with the next consoles in mind, and having just a Wii U is a viable option for gaming next gen, then I'll likely be more then satisfied.

Launch titles and stick placement is all little details that I know Nintendo will hopefully get right.
I really doubt 3rd party publishers/developers willing to bet against Nintendo one more time.

Oh, I haven't played SS yet, it's sitting in the game pile right now, but I hope they still have options for regular button stuff in the next game. (I'm assuming you meant the next Zelda, right?)

Yep. They made a strong hint that the next zelda will use the same controller set up.

The Wii could more than compete so I don't see this scenario any differently.

In fact, it'll probably be a bit better at the least.

If you're worried about Nintendo's business, don't be, they'll be able to make games regardless of third partys.

As far as the next consoles in mind, all they have to do is have the feature-set to be able to run next generation engines.

Sales will dictate whether third partys in the future make games for the Wii U.

MDX

If third partys got them to go with sticks, I would think they would be the ones in the box if they are serious about getting core gamers.

Could you imagine the bitching from core gamers if they had to buy separately fairly expensive controllers???

In my mind, sticks have an advantage over circle pads and not vice versa.

I don't mind pads though.

Nintendo had received favorable comments with the pad from the general public.
I dont see them getting rid of them. I do agree with the other poster that it looks more appealing to "casual" audiences.

So maybe Nintendo will have two SKUs. One bundled with a casual title and circle pads, one bundled with a core game with sticks.

Not a bad idea.

I mean, you don't really need the buttons when you are playing those tabletop games in the teaser. It could be nice if you actually are able to take the controller around the house, you wouldn't have to worry about the bulk.

Who knows if it would actually be worth it, we don't really know all the details.

Izick

I really doubt 3rd party publishers/developers willing to bet against Nintendo one more time.

It's not really that, it's just me hoping that the Wii U isn't getting really inferior versions of next gen games, or missing quite a few next gen multiplats all together. We really don't know anything yet, so I'm still optimistic about it.

Yep. They made a strong hint that the next zelda will use the same controller set up.

Shit, but I loved the idea of the inventory being right on the screen, am inch away...is SS's control scheme really that good? Is the game as good as everyone says?

The Wii could more than compete so I don't see this scenario any differently.

In fact, it'll probably be a bit better at the least.

If you're worried about Nintendo's business, don't be, they'll be able to make games regardless of third partys.

As far as the next consoles in mind, all they have to do is have the feature-set to be able to run next generation engines.

Sales will dictate whether third partys in the future make games for the Wii U.

Like I said, I'm just hopeful that future titles are comparable to other versions. I'm fine with like a PS2 to GC/Xbox type of difference, as what has been hinted at.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
LOL so there's even pics out now?

Oh well, it seems I was too late to give any kind of interesting news since the only worthwhile one got already out (analog sticks instead of slide pads).

But hey, we read and speculated about fuck all for weeks so I'll lay it down anyway just because:

He's working on a port.
Game won't look better, using the same assets as PS360, :(
going to implement AA, a "neat filter" (?) and advanced particles effects only if they've got enough time (it's supposed to be a launch game) and budgets allows it: it's not in the cards at this moment although it'd be possible.
I liked the idea on how they're using the screen but it seems obvious honestly.
I don't like these games, I think they're crap.

He doesn't know how far you can take the tablet to stream games.
The platform is incredibly welcoming from a dev pow, their team is much smaller than what you usually have to port a game. They're a B team porting an A team's game.
They're building the same kind of online as ps360, so that's reassuring.
The tablet is amazing and comfortable. They're not implementing Wii Remote controls.
me' "fuck that!" him: "the tablet is awesome man!' me: "I hate those fucking slide pads like on 3DS" him' " they weren't like that and anyway they've actually become analog sticks for a while now"
Me "is the system more fuckin' poweful then current gen?!" my mate: "of course it is" :D
me "holy shit!" him' "don't get too excited now" -_-
His pub has a big game coming for Wii U which hasn't been announced yet.
The console is still called Wii U.

So yeah, nothing to see here sorry! At least I didn't tease shit or anything :)
And this is all I have, not holding back stuff for the future and I don't have multiple sources ahah
If the Wii U ends up being an it-can-play-Crysis 4 machine then I'm not to be held responsible for these infos, I gave what I was fed. I've known the guy for 6 years and I know 100% is working on Wii U.

ps
Yay, surgery went well and I'm alive :p
pps
Lol, this reads like a Sponge rumour post, I'm kinda ashamed of that but I thought you guys wanted me to post it anyway rather than not. Right?

Nintendo had received favorable comments with the pad from the general public.
I dont see them getting rid of them. I do agree with the other poster that it looks more appealing to "casual" audiences.

So maybe Nintendo will have two SKUs. One bundled with a casual title and circle pads, one bundled with a core game with sticks.

I just dont' think Nintendo cares about the multiple SKU thing, it's confusing to consumers who will potentially be confused enough as it is with what is different abpout the Wii U than the Wii:p

I would be surprised if Nintendo ever did the multiple SKU thang, it'd be unprecedented for them.

AniHawk

that link in that zelda video looks really fucking weird. nintendo's going to need to ditch the painted-on faces for zelda creatures after skyward sword if they make them look more realistic.

Like I said, I'm just hopeful that future titles are comparable to other versions. I'm fine with like a PS2 to GC/Xbox type of difference, as what has been hinted at.

Well, that all of course depends on the power of the PS4 and Xbox 720.

At least developers won't have to worry about their ports(if they choose to) looking like ass like 360 to Wii would be.

I have no idea but I don't see any way the 360 and PS4 are out of the stratosphere in power compared to the Wii U.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Oh well, it seems I was too late to give any kind of interesting news since the only worthwhile one got already out (analog sticks instead of slide pads).

But hey, we read and speculated about fuck all for weeks so I'll lay it down anyway just because:

He's working on a port.
going to implement AA, a "neat filter" (?) and advanced particles effects only if they've got enough time (it's supposed to be a launch game) and budgets allows it: it's not in the cards at this moment although it'd be possible.

The platform is incredibly welcoming from a dev pow, their team is much smaller than what you usually have to port a game. They're a B team porting an A team's game.
The tablet is amazing and comfortable. They're not implementing Wii Remote controls.
me' "fuck that!" him: "the tablet is awesome man!' me: "I hate those fucking slide pads like on 3DS" him' " they weren't like that and anyway they've actually become analog sticks for a while now"
Me "is the system more fuckin' poweful then current gen?!" my mate: "of course it is" :D

And this is all I have, not holding back stuff for the future and I don't have multiple sources ahah
If the Wii U ends up being an it-can-play-Crysis 4 machine then I'm not to be held responsible for these infos, I gave what I was fed. I've known the guy for 6 years and I know 100% is working on Wii U.

ps
pps
Lol, this reads like a Sponge rumour post, I'm kinda ashamed of that but I thought you guys wanted me to post it anyway rather than not. Right?

I feel like you've just teased us. About a port, yes, but still a tease. :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Welp, It is Sunday here on the East Coast. Have we ever learned anything worth noting on a Sunday? It's like our off-day or something...

Izick

Well, that all of course depends on the power of the PS4 and Xbox 720.

At least developers won't have to worry about their ports(if they choose to) looking like ass like 360 to Wii would be.

I have no idea but I don't see any way the 360 and PS4 are out of the stratosphere in power compared to the Wii U.

Thank you for putting my mind to ease, Poo. That's what I have been thinking. Like I said, I'm happy with this being the PS2 of next-generation.

He's working on a port.

ps
pps

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about or who the fuck you are but I like both.

Izick

He's working on a port.

ps
pps

What was the surgery for? Glad that it went well!

Linkhero1

He's working on a port.

ps
pps
Glad you're doing well and thanks for posting this. Just one question. Did he tell you what the game was or did he just say he's doing a port of a PS360 game?

The best case scenario for the Wii U is that the power gap is similar to the PS2 vs. Xbox/GC. A noticeable difference whenever games are built for those platforms, but not a generational gap difference. The big difference will be in the amount of ram that the new consoles have. Several devs are really pushing Sony and MS to cram a lot of ram into those consoles.

Shit, but I loved the idea of the inventory being right on the screen, am inch away...is SS's control scheme really that good? Is the game as good as everyone says?

Actually, Skyward Sword's inventory selection would still smoke a Wii U set up(if its just tapping to select an item). The way things are in SS, you damn near pick items before the menu even has a chance to fully come on the screen. Its really easy, and incredibly fast. The game had its issues, but item selection wasn't one of 'em. Still, it will always be awesome to have the map on the screen at least, along with some other things like full inventory and whatnot. I actually miss my old paper map from Zelda on NES. I though it really had such a great feel that just didn't really get me like the current onscreen maps in game do. Having a stand alone digital map would bring me back there :^)

I must give a nod to Metroid Prime though. That map was fucking genius...

Dash Kappei

I feel like you've just teased us. About a port, yes, but still a tease. :p

megaton tease amiright? :p

Anyway, rereading what I wrote (just copy/pasted what I had prepped while waiting to get moved in a room where I could turn on 3G) I already found a big inaccuracy, the "platform is extremealy easy to work on" tidbit comes from my understanding, cause now that I think of it he just mentioned the fact that his team was much smaller than what you'd usually have... uh oh?

TriGen

I like the sound of that. I'm on the side of the fence that want's Nintendo, and third-parties to embrace the next-gen controller, and make games use the sub-screen as the primary controller, just liked the Wiimote was forced when it was the new input device. Don't advertise the controller as a big deal unless it's going to be used.

I was a big fan of the GC controller, but if Nintendo had pushed aside the Wiimote for the GC controller, it kind of would have defeated the purpose of what the Wii was about.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Glad you're doing well and thanks for posting this. Just one question. Did he tell you what the game was or did he just say he's doing a port of a PS360 game?

He had to have told him. He says he doesn't like the series the game is in.

I was going to say CoD Blops 2, but it seems like Dash Kappei might enjoy those games after some google searching, although he seems to be disappointed in the Blops 2. Creepy GAF has arrived.

Izick

megaton tease amiright? :p

Anyway, rereading what I wrote (just copy/pasted what I had prepped while waiting to get moved in a room where I could turn on 3G) I already found a big inaccuracy, the "platform is extremealy easy to work on" tidbit comes from my understanding, cause now that I think of it he just mentioned the fact that his team was much smaller than what you'd usually have... uh oh?

What kind of surgery did you have, Dash? Also, I'm not sure what you're saying; do you mean that it's bad that the team is smaller than usual? Wouldn't that be a good thing, if they're finding it easy to port?

I like the sound of that. I'm on the side of the fence that want's Nintendo, and third-parties to embrace the next-gen controller, and make games use the sub-screen as the primary controller, just liked the Wiimote was forced when it was the new input device. Don't advertise the controller as a big deal unless it's going to be used.

I was a big fan of the GC controller, but if Nintendo had pushed aside the Wiimote for the GC controller, it kind of would have defeated the purpose of what the Wii was about.

I think the difference here is that the Wiimote/Nunchuck could do just about anything the GC controller could while also doing things the GC controller simply could not. There was no real need for anyone to be forced to use it other than preference.

The Umote and Wiimote both do important things, and both of those things can't be replicated on the other. It's not really the same situation, I believe.

True, but there needs to be a balance. There were quite a few games that didn't make good use of the wiimote, and would have been much more suited to the GC controller. Nintendo needs to remind developers that they have other options while also pushing the new controller.

In this case, they are going from a more radical controller to a more traditional one, so I doubt many developers are going to choose the Wiimote over the Tablet without good reason.

Dash Kappei

The main thing is that your surgery went well.

And thanks for sharing that. For a moment I thought you were talking about Darksiders 2. :p

Nah, not DS2. :p

No worries, yeah he did tell me the game.

What was the surgery for? Glad that it went well!

My leg. Thanks :)

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about or who the fuck you are but I like both.

It's ok, my tag's meaning wasn't for this kind of context but I guess it fits nontheless :p
Although I don't get what it is that you like.

What kind of surgery did you have, Dash? Also, I'm not sure what you're saying; do you mean that it's bad that the team is smaller than usual? Wouldn't that be a good thing, if they're finding it easy to port?

I don't know if it's bad, as I've said the "easy to port" thing came from me so I was just second guessing that fact and thinking that maybe it's just budget constraints and they won't put effort on it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

He's working on a port.

ps
pps
laugh2.gif
- love this post.

-----

Any estimations on how wide the wuc is now, excluding the screen? The Wavebird is 2.5 inches wide for each set of stick and buttons, for reference.

Izick

I'm glad that I'm hearing more and more positive feedback about the controller. I expected as much though.

I think a lot of you expecting games to use Wii controls are going to be disappointed though. I think Nintendo is going all in with the tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom