• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster Discussion Thread

Forkball

Captain Commando and Venom have me excited, but the rest are pretty safe picks.

Though I expect there to be DLC out the ass. In a year after this game comes out, the roster will probably be obscenely huge.

Jawmuncher

Thor, Hulk, & Ultron would probably make up 3/4 of the remaining Marvel characters (unless Ultron is only a boss), & I can't imagine that there would be only one playable GotG character given their popularity. And with Chun-Li being a given on the Capcom side (& assuming Sigma isn't only a boss), that doesn't leave the Capcom side with very many options. Hell, I could easily see it being Asura, Chun-Li, Wesker, & Sigma.

Either way you slice it, if this is accurate, there's only really room for one or two more females. And with Guardians likely getting a 2nd rep, that knocks the count down to 1 (unless Gamora is the 2nd GotG rep).

I dunno in a roster of 32, I'd feel there'd be at least 8 female characters

Captain Commando and Venom have me excited, but the rest are pretty safe picks.

Though I expect there to be DLC out the ass. In a year after this game comes out, the roster will probably be obscenely huge.

Some of these safe picks are probably DLC. They made some pretty big names DLC in SFV. So I could see them doing the same thing here with the first season pass

Neoxon

Some of these safe picks are probably DLC. They made some pretty big names DLC in SFV. So I could see them doing the same thing here with the first season pass
But at the same time, I doubt that Marvel would let Thor & Hulk be DLC. Likewise, I'd imagine that they'd want more than one playable Guardians rep (Groot being paired with Rocket aside).

Jawmuncher

But at the same time, I doubt that Marvel would let Thor & Hulk be DLC. Likewise, I'd imagine that they'd want more than one playable Guardians rep (Groot being paired with Rocket aside).

If marvel is that hard up on sticking to their side. Then it's gonna fall on capcom to diversify their side more

DR2K

Banned
This is definitely the Seinfeld of threads. It's a thread about nothing going on forever. Sustained only by the fact it's going on nothing for so long

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I agree, Songbird definitely has the capabilities to be a really interesting character. She can use her sonic constructs like as if she was Green Lantern, so she has a lot of potential. That said, she seems kinda left field compared to the others.
Jedah and Songbird would be amazing. I could easily see Songbird being in the game. She's the kind of character Capcom devs would take to. Her design and powers easily translate to a video game.

I wonder if Capcom is going to use her past experience as pro wrestler to give her some grappler moves, like anti-air grab special move or so.

The female representation is rather pathetic in that "leak" lmao

Yeah, the numbers of female characters seems to be very low if the rumor is real.

Most "leaks" and roster predictions don't have She-Hulk and I hate that personally.

Same here but Im already ready for She-Hulk to getting cut despite that she's still one of those popular female characters.

This is definitely the Seinfeld of threads. It's a thread about nothing going on forever. Sustained only by the fact it's going on nothing for so long

And Super Smash Bros thread isn't?

DR2K

Banned
I wonder if Capcom is going to use her past experience as pro wrestler to give her some grappler moves, like anti-air grab special move or so.

Yeah, the numbers of female characters seems to be very low if the rumor is real.

Same here but Im already ready for She-Hulk to getting cut despite that she's still one of those popular female characters.

And Super Smash Bros thread isn't?

Super Smash bros exists. Had a steady flow of information after reveal, during release, and post content.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Super Smash bros exists. Had a steady flow of information after reveal, during release, and post content.

So much misinformation here. Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U got announced at E3 2011, and we didn't even get any official trailer UNTIL E3 2013. There is a thread for Smash discussion from 2011 to 2013, and some threads have been popped up over the time.

DR2K

Banned
So much misinformation here. Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U got announced at E3 2011, and we didn't even get any official trailer UNTIL E3 2013. There is a thread for Smash discussion from 2011 to 2013, and some threads have been popped up over the time.

I don't remember that, but that's also pathetic if as described.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
my expectation for character roster is pretty much 30 characters but I can't help but feel that leak list really lack something, like mainstay grappler, etc. I suppose we might see Mike Haggar, Zangief or newcomer for Capcom side.

Hopefully they would able to push the numbers to 36-40 at the end.

One of my series favorites are rumored yet, unless Arthur gets the GnG Rep slot. Ugh, so frustrating!

Either Arthur or Firebrand,.

Jawmuncher

my expectation for character roster is pretty much 30 characters but I can't help but feel that leak list really lack something, like mainstay grappler, etc. I suppose we might see Mike Haggar, Zangief or newcomer for Capcom side.

Hopefully they would able to push the numbers to 36-40 at the end.

Either Arthur or Firebrand,.

It's missing females is the main thing.
If Marvel and Capcom even tried to release a 30 character fighter with a whole 4 female characters i'd call them out on that shit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It's missing females is the main thing.
If Marvel and Capcom even tried to release a 30 character fighter with a whole 4 female characters i'd call them out on that shit.

You still have DR2K on your side for that. I distinctly recalled his "meltdown" during UMVC3 regard with female character(s). I do think we should have more female characters but Capcom can do whatever they wanted so we have no control for that.

Where is 32 characters coming from anyway? Thought those rumors said it would match Vanilla 3 which had 36 and another 2 if you want to count Jill and Shuma.

Regardless they do need better female representation if the current logic/rumors hold. Maybe they'll surprise us.

Jawmuncher

You still have DR2K on your side for that. I distinctly recalled his "meltdown" during UMVC3 regard with female character(s). I do think we should have more female characters but Capcom can do whatever they wanted so we have no control for that.

There was 12 (13 if you count Amaterasu) out of 36. So I think that was fine. Though the marvel side definitely had less. If we get the same number and less female characters, someone wasn't planning right.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
There was 12 (13 if you count Amaterasu) out of 36. So I think that was fine. Though the marvel side definitely had less. If we get the same number and less female characters, someone wasn't planning right.

Well, I only have one official answer for that is it's not same team whom developed MVC3. Also the rumor isn't 100% proven yet.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah it's rumored and such. But even with a different team they should understand how to diversify the roster.

How many female characters in MVC1? And MVC2?

Edited:

I remember there are Morrigan, Chun Li, Shadow Lady, Lilith And Roll in MVC1. So 5 out of 21. So that's 1/4.

If you don't want to count last three female and rest of secret characters then it would be 2/15. So about 1/8.

Okay, we have 16 female characters for MVC2 so that's 16 out of 56 characters. That's more than 1/4 for MVC2.

Jawmuncher

How many female characters in MVC1? And MVC2?

I remember there are Morrigan, Chun Li, And Roll in MVC1.

The times change. I can't control what those games did. But when marvel themselves are doing stuff like Women of Power. Them regressing to the older ways would be kind of disheartening. Especially when both sides have more than enough characters.

Venom and C.C. coming back would be appreciated.

Though the roster is lacking some female characters...

Cammy, Tessa and Ada
Ms. Marvel, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch are good choices IMO

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The times change. I can't control what those games did. But when marvel themselves are doing stuff like Women of Power. Them regressing to the older ways would be kind of disheartening. Especially when both sides have more than enough characters.

I know but I'm merely curious to see how many female characters make in the final roster.

Look like they were trying to keep it at 1/4 in all games. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not

I'd prefer Green Goblin over Venom. Goblin and Ock would be my dream team.
At least Dr. Octopus was considered for 3, so maybe they could use those ideas to bring him over to Infinite.

Venom coming back in comics and his own movie make him a solid choice, I think.

J-Tier

Green Goblin would be my character of choice too. I'd want him on the glider the majority of the time though, which probably isn't feasible, so they'd probably compromise like they did with Ghost Rider.

Baleoce

Do you think evo or E3 is the next time we're likely to hear more on this game, or do you think there'll be any snippets sooner?

vg260

At least Dr. Octopus was considered for 3, so maybe they could use those ideas to bring him over to Infinite.

Venom coming back in comics and his own movie make him a solid choice, I think.

If I were betting, I'd assume he would get chosen over Goblin, but I'd rather someone who's not kind of an evil version/variant of Spider-Man, even if their move set is not like a Ryu/Ken kinda thing. Goblin would be nothing like Spider-Man or Ock, making him a more interesting choice, imo. Personally, I think he's overrated.

Green Goblin would be my character of choice too. I'd want him on the glider the majority of the time though, which probably isn't feasible, so they'd probably compromise like they did with Ghost Rider.

I could see him being like Firebrand, so that might work against him.

Neoxon

Venom and C.C. coming back would be appreciated.

Though the roster is lacking some female characters...

Cammy, Tessa and Ada
Ms. Marvel, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch are good choices IMO
As much as I adore best bae Wanda, she's likely tied up in the Fox stuff (if that's indeed impacting the base roster as rumored). Granted, Capcom could push for her like the Lego guys did for her & Quicksilver in Lego Avengers, but I'm not sure if they'd bother.

My respect for you has quadrupled.

Neoxon

I probably shouldn't tell you I don't really care for the X-Men to come back :p
..........The Green Goblin thing now balances out you not caring for the X-Men coming back.

So are people expecting Phoenix Wright to be cut now?
Oh shit, almost forgot. I thought he was already on the list. So assuming there's just 32, the last 4 for each side I'm expecting are...
  • Marvel: Thor, Hulk, Star-Lord, Ultron (or Black Widow if Ultron is only a boss)
  • Capcom: Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, Asura, Sigma (or Wesker if Sigma is only a boss)

If I were betting, I'd assume he would get chosen over Goblin, but I'd rather someone who's not kind of an evil version/variant of Spider-Man, even if their move set is not like a Ryu/Ken kinda thing. Goblin would be nothing like Spider-Man or Ock, making him a more interesting choice, imo. Personally, I think he's overrated.

I could see him being like Firebrand, so that might work against him.
Green goblin would be welcome too, seeing something like they did with Firebrand or maybe Ghost Rider could be a way to have him in the game.

As much as I adore best bae Wanda, she's likely tied up in the Fox stuff (if that's indeed impacting the base roster as rumored). Granted, Capcom could push for her like the Lego guys did for her & Quicksilver in Lego Avengers, but I'm not sure if they'd bother.
Yep, you're right.
Your hopes for Wanda are the same for my hopes for Psylocke.

eggandI

Banned
I didnt notice it before, but wow yea that rumored roster is a sausagefest

It would really surprise me if this game launched with only 4-5 female chars

Weiss

Banned
So does this new leaker have any credentials or not? When they go "believe it or not" I tend to err on the side of caution.

Marvel not complete without doom.
qqo67wwkdtsy.jpg

7Th

There is no reason for Hunter from Monster Hunter to not be female; I'd actually say that it's far more likely they're female.

So does this new leaker have any credentials or not? When they go "believe it or not" I tend to err on the side of caution.
SaikyoBro said that both of them have heard the same thing some time ago.

Now, I don't really know/remember if SaikyBro is an insider or if he has been right about other things in the past.

SaikyoBro said that both of them have heard the same thing some time ago.

Now, I don't really know/remember if SaikyBro is an insider or if he has been right about other things in the past.

He was one of the first people to mention that a new MVC was in development.

I want good female representation like anyone else, btw.

I think, like SFV, theyre well aware people can just play MvC3 if they want, so they want to avoid a massive amount of overlap w the cast.

Don't be so sure. The roster already has 4 returning, 2 new (X, Captain Marvel), and more importantly, the 4 returning are all featuring gameplay toolkits that they've had in previous MvC games. The fact that this is invoking the MvC name while changing pretty much everything about its gameplay should give you a strong indicator for who they're appealing to (whilst radically changing a core part of what that audience likes), and if thats the case, having a large overlapping roster is how you still bring in that established audience.

If its mostly new cast + new gameplay, then it might as well have a different name entirely.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I didnt notice it before, but wow yea that rumored roster is a sausagefest

It would really surprise me if this game launched with only 4-5 female chars

I would be shocked iF we didn't get 1/4 ratio with female characters.

I would like to see:

Nina, Regina, Ammy, Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Phoenix, Scarlet Witch, Songbird

Always take every rumors and leaks with grains of salts.

Top Bottom