• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Graces f English Screenshots

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
That's why we NEED to market this game through GAF like we did with Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles .

And to start that... we need to market this game through the OT title to get the readers attention.

We can do it guys... by the word of mouth we can do it, trust me.

In all honesty Demon's Souls was really good and super polished. That and it was critically acclaimed. Graces won't be so lucky...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In all honesty Demon's Souls was really good and super polished. That and it was critically acclaimed. Graces won't be so lucky...

This game is also really good. :p

What are the chances of this being the last Tales Of the West ever gets?

I have a gut feeling it is going to bomb, mostly because of Namco's nonexistent advertising for it.
The outlook does not look good.

• It's an HD upscale from a Wii game.
• It's a gameplay-centric JRPG, not a story-centric JRPG.
• What story there is will be seen as cliché and childish.

Among, probably, other things.

Personally, I am very overly excited that it's coming out and I know I will probably spend many, many hours on it (and it may finally force me into purchasing a PS3, heh), but I think it will not be what Western JRPG gamers want. I can already feel the game being derided. Such is life, I guess.

Aeana

What are the chances of this being the last Tales Of the West ever gets?

I have a gut feeling it is going to bomb, mostly because of Namco's nonexistent advertising for it.

It doesn't help that no matter what Tales game is released in the west, "Tales fans" always want some other one more and throw a fit because they're not getting whatever one they want this week.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There are A LOT of starving JRPG fans on the PS3 who are DYING for an JRPG like this one.... those kind of target we should focus on.
Not everyone's going to be into this, though. A few people I suggested it to--and they like Japanese-developed role-playing games a lot--aren't feeling this because they go for the photorealistic look as opposed to the stylistic approach that Tales employs. Not to mention it's an upscaled to HD game, and the narrative isn't really the draw either.

I'm the opposite and prefer stylized graphics/artstyle over photorealistic stuff, but I have a feeling that I might be in the minority.

Also, as I've repeated in various threads, I don't think some people will take too kindly to the very first arc of the game at all.

It doesn't help that no matter what Tales game is released in the west, "Tales fans" always want some other one more and throw a fit because they're not getting whatever one they want this week.
Oh, and yes, people want Vesperia PS3 still. :lol

Some of them have moved onto wanting Xillia, though.

That's been the case with me until now. :)

I would have gladly taken Destiny 2, Rebirth and Destiny R over Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia.

But THIS. This is the one I've really been wanting out of this round of Tales games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dark Schala said:
Also, as I've repeated in various threads, I don't think some people will take too kindly to the very first arc of the game at all.

What's with the first arc?

daffy

Banned
I really hope this is on a limited print run so it sells out.
.... I considere that completely unnacceptable and if that's the treatment we are subjected to as western Tales fans then you can count me out. I won't be even considering Abyss 3D until summer and if this game gets a shortcut I'll be seriously disappointed.

I can't believe people think its ok for company to tell them to "hurry up and buy".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What kind of arc are we talking about here?
The game starts when the characters are children, and you play as them for quite a while. Explore dungeons, fields, have skits, go to towns, etc.
I've noticed that there seems to be some sort of vitriol towards this sort of thing.

Edit: beaten. And I guess I'll spoiler tag it. I figured people didn't know much about it, but it was in the first trailer. Apologies.

Kids. The bane of every matoor, grown-ass man western gamer, apparently.
Yep.

Aeana

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Can you explain why that elicits such a response? I really don't understand.

In Dragon Quest 5, you start the game when the hero is 6 years old, but nobody ever whined about that. Showing the characters as children is used to show the contrast of how things are as they grow older.

ULTROS!

Meh, I can get past kids. Luke von Fabre was the worst child anyway.

Actually, I can see this game doing OK. There seem to be a number of people who aren't exactly Tales fans planning to buy this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can you explain why that elicits such a response? I really don't understand.

In Dragon Quest 5, you start the game when the hero is 6 years old, but nobody ever whined about that. Showing the characters as children is used to show the contrast of how things are as they grow older.
Probably because they're voiced now. I don't understand it either.

By starting the game off in this manner, the overall theme happens to be communicated quite well throughout the rest of it.

Aeana

Honestly, the real bad thing about the prologue is that you don't get access to the beta style until the time skip.

But as was said, it isn't that long of a segment, and I honestly think it does what it tries to do very well.

I'll probably pick this up, but yeah, I can't say that I like the look of the game very much at all. The character designs in particular reeeeeally bug me.

ULTROS!

A photo-realistic Tales ala Last Remnant (at the very least) will be quite something.

Aeana

I'll probably pick this up, but yeah, I can't say that I like the look of the game very much at all. The character designs in particular reeeeeally bug me.

e60sX.gif

How you doin'?

I really like the characters design in this game <3
A photo-realistic Tales ala Last Remnant (at the very least) will be quite something.

We just got a realistic characters high in Tales of Xillia.... one step in a time, one step in a time :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Honestly, the real bad thing about the prologue is that you don't get access to the beta style until the time skip.

But as was said, it isn't that long of a segment, and I honestly think it does what it tries to do very well.
Yeah, the battles are rather slow and one-note in the prologue.

I can also say that the prologue isn't long. Don't bother spending a lot of time in it.

ULTROS! said:
I don't think I'd want that. Hearts CG looked awful.

kayos90

Despite the children's arc having well.... children, I can see some other criticism. It goes on for a little too long. The battle system is absolute garbage in the beginning (hyperbole obviously) and the theme of Mamoru! starts from beginning to end. Essentially, the beginning is not so great a beginning.

Check out my post here, wherein I explain why I love the game as much as I do!

Rofl, might as well copy and paste this in to the OT. Just kidding obviously.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm stoked for Graces F, don't like the character design as much as Vesperia, but I didn't like Vesperia's originally for the most part. Looking forward to some more Tales battling and some synthing.

kayos90

:mad:

Do not besmirch the name of Inomata in my presence. Bad things can happen.

Oh, I'll concede that her characters don't translate well to 3D, at least.

IJHnN.jpg

Hey! That's the cover I use for my copy! Rofl. I really like this than the Green Turd that was the cover. Well... Turd might be a bit strong. I didn't like it much though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hey! That's the cover I use for my copy! Rofl. I really like this than the Green Turd that was the cover. Well... Turd might be a bit strong. I didn't like it much though.
I think almost all of us use the same cover. :lol

It's so much better, there's more emphasis on certain important characters, the poses are a lot better, and the scaling's better.

Cheria has my favorite female design in the series.

Love all of her ribbons <3
She's also really fun to take manual control of!

kayos90

I know this isn't an avatar thread. But anyone want to make me a cool Asbel one? Not to many ToG F avatars out there.

Not too many varied pictures of Anime Asbel. Hmm...

EDIT: Just realized, should I be spoiler tagging the intro arc? I thought it would be fine but I'll do it if people want me to.

EDIT: Just realized, should I be spoiler tagging the intro arc? I thought it would be fine but I'll do it if people want me to.

But you have to write a section about the game's story in the OT... and I don't see any harm in the prologue chapter, if someone didn't want to spoil anything then they can just skip it :\

or at less this is what I think.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Or you can excise the specifics of it altogether and go with a brief plot summary.

I kinda figured a lot of people didn't know about the childhood arc which is why I glossed over it a lot.

Top Bottom