• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Not a big fan of Gorillaz either. Was surprised to see Demon Days mentioned like 4 times in that 'best albums of all time' thread we had recently

Exodust

Banned
Not a big fan of Gorillaz either. Was surprised to see Demon Days mentioned like 4 times in that 'best albums of all time' thread we had recently

Demon Days was never that high for me either, but I generally really like their tracks and find their work to be worth listening to.

That said: I really don't like Humanz. Like, at all. Shit, y'all weren't kidding.

Demon Days was a great album. Haven't really fucked with these singles from the new one tho. Aside from the song with poocaan

Will wait til the album hits streaming to give it a shot

overcast

Yeah it seems up your alley
ios-10-shrug-emoji.png

Dereck

All of this GOAT talk had me thinking about the certain tiers and categories of rappers that I've thought about that people have mentioned in terms of longevity.

Usual Suspect GOATs

Jay Z
Nas
Biggie
Tupac
Rakim
Eminem
Big L

Alternative suspect GOATs

Ghostface Killah
Scarface
Redman
Big Pun
DMX
Busta Rhymes
Andre 3000
Ice Cube
Kanye West
Lil Wayne

Other frequent mentions

Kool G Rap
Chuck D
Big Daddy Kane
E-40
Snoop Dogg
Dr. Dre
LL Cool J
E-40
KRS-One

Underground GOAT mentions

El-P
MF DOOM
Aesop Rock
Busdriver
Kool Keith
Del the Funky Homosapien
Aceyalone

Modern day mentions for greatest right now

Danny Brown
Big Sean
Kendrick Lamar
Logic
J. Cole
Earl Sweatshirt
Joey Bada$$
Schoolboy Q
A$AP Rocky
Vince Staples
Big K.R.I.T.

Random category

Pusha T
Lupe Fiasco
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
Black Thought
Ludacris
Fabolous
Common
Pimp C
Masta Ace
Devin the Dude
Pharoahe Monch

This is basically the pool that I've seen people pick from online over the years.

All of this GOAT talk had me thinking about the certain tiers and categories of rappers that I've thought about that people have mentioned in terms of longevity.

This is basically the pool that I've seen people pick from online over the years.

Discuss pls

I'm surprised that Big L is in the first group. This is a good comprehensive list though.

The Underground question is pretty tricky, but I think Aceyalone belongs on the list, personally.

Big L might have had one of the greatest flows but I don't think he has an Illmatic level album to really warrant the claim.

I love Lifestylez but yeah you're definitely right. Having said that, he was one of the biggest what if guys for me....maybe. His second album was more of the same, wonder if he would of made a classic that is up there with the great albums. Or if he would have just stuck making similar albums for the rest of his career.

I would not put Big L or Big Pun or Busta Rhymes or Lil Wayne in 1st tier GOAT discussions.

Every time I listen to Cube, Redman, and Ghostface's streaks of greatness they move up whatever mental list I'm keeping.

Asap Rocky and Big KRIT have slid way, way down the "greatest right now" discussion.

I feel weird about Andre 3K constantly being split from Outkast in these lists tbh

Pusha T, Luda, Fabolous, and Lupe have no place here

Big KRIT and ASAP Rocky fell off a damn cliff dude. Remember that year when their much discussed tapes were out. Shit was peak for them in terms of quality output. Rocky had another year of hits in him tho with a couple radio singles off his studio album

Redman and Ice Cube definitely belong in tier 1

Also it's pretty mean putting some of these dorks in modern day like logic, big sean and Joey and leaving out drake lol. Drake isn't a top 5 right now or anything but his name looks better up there than a portion of that current list

I would not put Big L or Big Pun or Busta Rhymes or Lil Wayne in 1st tier GOAT discussions.

Every time I listen to Cube, Redman, and Ghostface's streaks of greatness they move up whatever mental list I'm keeping.

Asap Rocky and Big KRIT have slid way, way down the "greatest right now" discussion.

I feel weird about Andre 3K constantly being split from Outkast in these lists tbh

Pusha T, Luda, Fabolous, and Lupe have no place here
How can you say Pusha T and Lupe don't deserve to be there but then say Big Pun or Big L belong in any of the tiers?

How can you say Pusha T and Lupe don't deserve to be there but then say Big Pun or Big L belong in any of the tiers?

I was just trying to respect the dead, really. L and Pun were great talents, but I wouldn't even look in their general direction until my top 30 was sketched out. The material just isn't there.

As for relating that to where Push and Lupe end up..... nah. Between both of em, Hell Hath No Fury is the thing I care about. Big L and Pun have verses more important to hip-hop than their entire careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom