• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Signups Open & Opening Movie Released

N.A

Banned
Opening Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ&feature=youtu.be (If you have seen the End of an Era trailer, the new stuff starts at 5:30)

In preparation for the upcoming launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn on Windows PC and PlayStation 3, we are looking for enthusiastic players to take part in the beta test.

Players who met the Legacy campaign requirements can participate in the beta test starting from phase 1 and are not required to apply. However, we ask players who wish to participate in the PlayStation 3 beta test to apply for it.

If you applied to be a PlayStation 3 beta tester for FFXIV Version 1.0 and were selected to test the Windows version instead, you need not apply again to test the PS3 version—your original application will be reconsidered when we start selecting PS3 testers. However, if you wish to be considered as a Windows PC tester, we ask that you apply specifically for that.

Beta Sign Up:
NA:http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na

EU (English):http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu
EU (French): http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/fr
EU (German): http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/de

JP:http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/jp

afcw8.png

Full Roadmap: http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

Rootbeer

Banned
signed up and did the survey. The e-mail they sent states: "Selection will be based on the answers submitted in the application, and only successful applicants will be notified. Acceptance notifications will be sent to the e-mail address submitted in the application."

Make sure you do the optional survey as it may help your chances of getting in.

Forkball

So FFXIV was bad right? Didn't people say the ARR alpha was bad? So bad that Square said "we're going to totally change the combat, don't worry!"

It's like I'm watching a man being slowly lowered into a pit of lava.

N.A

Banned
So FFXIV was bad right? Didn't people say the ARR alpha was bad? So bad that Square said "we're going to totally change the combat, don't worry!"

It's like I'm watching a man being slowly lowered into a pit of lava.

Alpha was great. Combat still needs work. (the combat in alpha was never meant to be final)

Jijidasu

It's weird how they look the same; it's been, what, fifteen years since the flashbacks in the city-states' stories?

They seem to have some new kind of gadgetry on them. Y'shtola's necklace is most clear. look's like some kind of visor/mask/seeing glass combination.

I think the Hyuran's Chocobo is the Legacy version lol.

Xux

They seem to have some new kind of gadgetry on them. Y'shtola's necklace is most clear. look's like some kind of visor/mask/seeing glass combination.

I think the Hyuran's Chocobo is the Legacy version lol.
Wow, I didn't even notice those things, lol.

Shamdeo

What does "Players who met the Legacy campaign requirements" mean?
Players who played FF14 before?

Earlier on there was a campaign where 1.0 players who paid three months consecutively got "Legacy" status. The perks include a special chocobo mount and a discounted subscription rate when A Realm Reborn launches. It was a way to thank players that stuck with them through 1.0 as the new version was in development.

Legacy status is for players who subscribed (ie payed) to version 1.0 for at least three months during the campaign period. It permanently decreases the subscription fee for ARR to $9.99 a month. If you're wondering if you can still obtain Legacy status, the answer is no.

N.A

Banned

It was for players who paid for 3 months between January-September 2012. We get a discount ($9.99 a month for life), an exclusive chocobo and our name in the credits.

Edit: Beaten. Twice.

Bittercup

Earlier on there was a campaign where 1.0 players who paid three months consecutively got "Legacy" status. The perks include a special chocobo mount and a discounted subscription rate when A Realm Reborn launches. It was a way to thank players that stuck with them through 1.0 as the new version was in development.
Oh, totally missed that. Thanks :)

thanks @Jailer of Hope and N.A as well ^^

kurahador

Man...that intro is glorious. Really scratch my itch for traditional looking FF game.
I think I'll be playing this once it releases.

So..whats the story is about anyway? Do they jump forward in time or backwards? What's the logo signify? And what's the building in the end?

Shamdeo

So..whats the story is about anyway? Do they jump forward in time or backwards? What's the logo signify? And what's the building in the end?

A cruelly short summary:

The Empire of Garlemald are seeking to conquer the realm of Eorzea. To seize victory they eventually call forth the power of Dalamud, a moon-like satellite orbiting the world. In the trailer, the Battle of Carteneau takes place; however, within Dalamud sleeps the sealed primal Bahamut. Upon his release initiates the Seventh Umbral Era that destroys much of Eorzea as it has six times before. Louisoix, in his final moments, sends the hero party to the Void which lies outside the flow of time.

They jump forward five years to find Eorzea in the Seventh Astral Era, and we now must deduce what happened as well as confront Garlemald who will likely return to Eorzea to claim it now that the dust has settled.

The logo signifies the people of Eorzea (represented by the players) joining hands once again.

The structure at the end of the trailer? I'm not sure, but I believe it was created after the Battle of Carteneau since it seems to be geographically where Mor Dhona was.

Arksy

Could someone contrast that with what happened in the first opening cinematic for the game? I remember parts of it but it didn't really make sense to someone uninitiated.

duckroll

Wow, that opening FMV is fucking amazing. This is the most expensive and elaborate MMORPG reboot I've ever seen. Actually, it might be the only MMO reboot I've ever seen really. At least on this scale. :p

Lol.

Shamdeo

Could someone contrast that with what happened in the first opening cinematic for the game? I remember parts of it but it didn't really make sense to someone uninitiated.

The opening of the first cinematic featured a party about to leave for questing when the main Hyuran (human) character receives a vision of the past, the "power of the Echo". In this vision, the character is placed with another questing party (think how Squall was able to observe events as Laguna in FFVIII) when an airship from the Empire of Garlemald engages the primal Midgarsormr.

During the fight with the Malboro, the Hyuran is scooped up in a Garlemald machina and carried into the sky where the battle is taking place. Midgarsormr takes down the airship, the best in Garlemald's fleet, but in doing so dies. With its destruction, it releases aetheric energy into Eorzea -- allowing the Primals (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan, and others) to break into the realm. You can see Titan shooting across the sky near the end.

When the Hyur is launched from the machina and falls to his death, he suddenly wakes from his Echo into the present time.

The three set off, and eventually meet up with the party the Hyuran met in the Echo.

You see them all together in the A Realm Reborn trailers. :)

Shamdeo

I wonder what the devices that Thancred, Papalymo, Rhalgr and Y'shtola are wearing.

I believe you meant "Yda" instead of Rhalgr.

Perhaps it's something to signify they are part of the Circle of Knowing. Maybe it's something to keep the memory of Louisoix, the Archon, alive. I love speculating.

Top Bottom