• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast: Whistleblower DLC Coming this April to PC and PS4

viveks86

1658360_479837832128189_571232752_o.jpg

The whole team here at Red Barrels is pleased to reveal that our first DLC, Outlast: Whisleblower, will be released this April for PC and PS4!

Whistleblower will let you play as Waylon Park, a software engineer under contract with Murkoff and the man who emailed journalists around the world - including Miles - at the beginning of Outlast. Spending a couple of weeks at Mount Massive, during which he was unable to even talk to his wife and son in Boulder thanks to strict security protocols, Weylon developed a deep-seated distrust of the profit-motivated scientists and doctors leading dangerous and irresponsible experiments on their patients. Identifying with those poor souls fueled Weylon's anger, and set the stage for his unmasking of Mount Massive's rotten core.

Although Whistleblower tells the story that led to Outlast, it will actually stretch past the events of the first game to show the final chapter in Mount Massive Asylum's story.
https://www.facebook.com/Outlastthegame/photos/a.306065699505404.64003.283579218420719/479837832128189/?type=1

Via

RE_Player

I like this new Playstation Plus strategy. Release game for free and follow up with dlc. Hope it works out for Sony and the devs involved.

Vibranium

Banned
No price yet I guess? I'm really interested in seeing more of Murkoff and their experiments. I hope Waylon "outlasts" everything.

Anung

Un Rama
Looking forward to this. Will gladly pick it up after grabbing Outlast PS4 and PC. Which was flawed but very enjoyable.

Would like to see the downfall of Mount Massive.

Also gotta support horror!

Excellent. Just finished Outlast on PS4 a few nights ago and had a great time with it.

Scary, a strong narrative and plenty of variation - it was perhaps the best survival horror game I'd played since Amneshia.

I fear and welcome this DLC so I can finish the story.

angrygnat

Only problem with this is, I just played Outlast a few weeks ago. Now I am getting DLC. I am just going to be wanting more Outlast by June. Sets me up for disappointment!

Definitely looking forward to this! I've been live streaming my speedruns of Outlast almost every day for weeks on PS4. Finally got the PS4 WR. Ok, I'm done lol.

Wait! That's Trager!!!

Edit: I also see they say the "first" DLC.

I think that's a very smart strategy on part of Red Barrels. Get a large install base on PS4 due to the base game's inclusion with PS+ IGC, then release the DLC only two months out. I can see them moving a lot of copies like this.

Have had a lot of fun with the game and will definitely purchase the DLC when it comes out.

Day one. I just hope it is different enough from the first. I really want to see the chaos in the asylum as it all went to shite.

Carl

I think that's a very smart strategy on part of Red Barrels. Get a large install base on PS4 due to the base game's inclusion with PS+ IGC, then release the DLC only two months out. I can see them moving a lot of copies like this.

Have had a lot of fun with the game and will definitely purchase the DLC when it comes out.

Yup, great idea. Kind of free to play without being free, and getting a nice lump sum from Sony for doing it that way. Hope it works out for them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Outlast had gigantic problems, but I'm a sucker for this sort of thing. I'm in.

Josh378

I think Indie Developers realize that if they can get on the monthly PS+ free game and ppl loved their game, they can make even more money by selling add-ons for their games. I think Sony hit the sweet spot on this.

Started playing Outlast on PS4 the other day, but it scares the shit out of me so I can't make much progress...

Also, the lack of real time shadows was surprising.

daman824

Excellent. Just finished Outlast on PS4 a few nights ago and had a great time with it.

Scary, a strong narrative and plenty of variation - it was perhaps the best survival horror game I'd played since Amneshia.

I fear and welcome this DLC so I can finish the story.
A strong narrative? The story in Outlast is crap. And variation?

Good thing it was scary for a while.

Shame this news hasn't gained more traction.

As far as the PS4 crowd is concerned, I think it's fine. I'm sure we'll see more of a marketing push closer to release in April, and when it does it'll likely have little competition on the PS Store. April currently has Octodad, Child of Light, Daylight, and FF XIV. CoL & Daylight are both $15. Dunno about Octodad but I assume it'll be in the $10-15 range too. If they price this DLC right they'll sell a ton.

Jachaos

Oh, thought this was already announced since a Red Barrel dev was talking about it pretty openly last week when I saw him.

Also for those wanting a sequel, let's just say there's a good chance.

sn00zer

PS+ games seem like a great way to sell DLC

So you make a game it gets released, after a few months sales have slowed and the gaming public has moved on to the next big thing. Youve been working on DLC, but are worried about sales, so you run a partnership deal with Sony. Suddenly you now have a much larger pool of potential DLC buyers, and talk has led to reinterest in the game. BAM perfect time to release DLC

Sotha_Sil

Nice 4-punch for Red Barrels on the game.

1) Release PC game on Steam and other services
2) Take Sony's money to put the game on PS+.
3) With a larger-than-normal install base, release some DLC soon after and get greater DLC sales.
4)Finally, additional sales from people who missed out on PS+ are gravy.

It's seems like a safe (aka smart) route for indie developers to take, especially ones making slightly larger indie games like Outlast.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I like this new Playstation Plus strategy. Release game for free and follow up with dlc. Hope it works out for Sony and the devs involved.

Agreed. If that's the case, shows you how much faith the devs have with their game. Will be buying this day one. While Outlast had some repetitive moments, it was an enjoyable ride overall.

Top Bottom