• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Me @ the review scores and Japan's sales -

funny-cat-gif-3.gif

Soon!

Nioh was going to bomb before meta reviews came out. 200k for Nier is a great success considering it is almost 3 times what OG Nier did , but comparing to Nioh isn't a fair comparison

Perhaps NieR: Automata outselling RE7 is a more apt comparison?

01./00. [PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard # <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.01.26} (¥7.990) - 187.306 / NEW <58,63%>

01./00. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} (¥7.800) - 198.542 / NEW

This is just mad.

Byvar

When the review scores based on Western copies arrive, the 94 metacritic score will be erased and you will be unable to reload the old page that had that score. Do you still want to continue?

• Yes
  • No
Anyway, really good to see that it's doing well so far, but I assume the ones who imported it were fans in the first place, or at least fans of the genre I guess.

Pre-ordering on Steam tomorrow. I've preordered less than a handful of games in my life, but by all accounts, you can't go wrong with this one.

Does the game have a lot of weapons? Is it loot based (ie categories with different variants), or a bunch of distinct weapons?

The combat in the demo was so good. The way you could alter your loadout and effortlessly switch between weapons felt impeccably polished, so looking forward to trying out all the weapons in the game

Does the game have a lot of weapons? Is it loot based (ie categories with different variants), or a bunch of distinct weapons?

The combat in the demo was so good. The way you could alter your loadout and effortlessly switch between weapons felt impeccably polished, so looking forward to trying out all the weapons in the game

Don't know the weapon count myself, but it's a bunch of distinct weapons. You have Small/Large swords, spears, and bracers.

killatopak

Gold Member

IIRC Lots of weapons and 4 variants mainly spear, fist, sword, and large sword.

There are 1H Swords, 2H Swords, Gauntlets/Bracers, Spears, and Melee. Aside from melee, there are multiple weapons with differing effects, and all can be upgraded)

You can find most weapons in special locations, and weapons have distinct names & combos.

Jiraiza

Spears are really the only thing new when it comes to weapons.

Pod Programs on the other hand...

Glad to see the game doing so well, both critically and financially, just for Yoko Taro's sake. The game industry needs more like him.

Categories with variants.

Don't know how many there are, once I got a spear I kinda fell in love with it.

Already on review thread plus and things still looking positive. Given that this is a Yoko Taro joint, I expect Review Thread 5 to be a heartbreaker :-(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You don't know how much side eye i'm going to be giving that reviewer that says the music is nothing special >_>

Speaking of music, let's reminisce on old times a bit with Drakengard 1's music, the End of Evangelion/Berserk amalgamation that started it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et8Rw01LvzI

The music is really good, but I think the underrated part is how dynamic it is. 6 variations of the same song shifting in and out based on where you are what's happening is basically magic, and more games should copy it. (it's not unusual to see games swap between 2 variations, e.g. the recent Fire Emblems, but this is a whole 'nother level)

Karak

So when are the rest of the reviews coming in?

Just found out a couple might be tomorrow due to some bigger outlets also going with the import + patch since it basically is the US version lol. Not sure if true but just saw a couple others I follow playing it for the last 12 hours lol

Just found out a couple might be tomorrow due to some bigger outlets also going with the import + patch since it basically is the US version lol. Not sure if true but just saw a couple others I follow playing it for the last 12 hours lol

Interesting - I'll keep an eye out. (I'll be working in the morning, but I'll update the thread once I'm home.)

I doubt that they'll import simply to post their review one day early, though...

Tubie

What the hell is going on with games this year?! So many good games and we're only 3 months in.

I'm still half way into Horizon and this thing comes out in 2 days :/

Inuhanyou

Nice haha. I prefer growing wings and thirteenth chapter closing.

RLelIQa.gif

Nice choice with Growing Wings, Kari Wahlgren did a great job, did not even know she could sing before i found out she had sung it

Inuhanyou

Haruko from FLCL sings Growing Wings?? :eek: You just blew my mind.

Well yeah, considering she also Furiae in the game too.

FLCL was her first VO role but shes gone on to do TONS of other stuff including Arturia-sama, the character in my avatar

Well yeah, considering she also Furiae in the game too.

FLCL was her first VO role but shes gone on to do TONS of other stuff including Arturia-sama, the character in my avatar

I just never would have guessed that was her. Talk about range.

Ayako Kawasumi is the only Saber I know :p

Inuhanyou

I just never would have guessed that was her. Talk about range.

Ayako Kawasumi is the only Saber I know :p

Ayako IS Arturia, i agree...

But its nice to see other VO test out the role for the dub at any rate :p I still somewhat prefer Kate higgins from the original FSN DEEN dub but Kari does okay for herself in Zero and UBW

Top Bottom