• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

It's another Monday and this heat wave has been god awful! Has anyone lost power? Because I read a report that people have been losing power around the city left and right.

I quietly updated the OP over the weekend and added in the Church of Sweden on 48th between 5th and Madison as a place of interest to check out for their $3 Swedish cinnamon buns among other treats and a great place to go to in general (have not been there yet but it's on my radar).

I wanted share some excerpts of an article The Times that sheds light on the seedy underbelly that our lovely city still has (not that most of us weren't already aware of it):

The Times Square of today often seems like a theme park, a blend of wax museums, flashy billboards and slow-walking, street-clogging tourists. But this nearby McDonald’s, on Eighth Avenue between 34th and 35th Streets, is a throwback to a seedier era in New York, a place where those same tourists sit amid drug addicts looking for a fix or nodding out at tables after taking methadone, or maybe something else.
Photo

Those who still get high run a different circuit: Sometimes they will buy drugs in the bathroom and use them right away in a stall. Sometimes they will buy in the McDonald’s but then walk around the corner to shoot up at the Wendy’s, where three individual bathrooms upstairs each lock, offering more privacy than the McDonald’s restrooms.
Another regular, Joey, also usually comes back inside after the guard leaves. On a recent Monday, at 2:30 p.m., he sat at a front table, drinking a King Cobra malt liquor and wearing a red T-shirt proclaiming “Drunknmunky.” He stepped outside for a cigarette and then started to cry.

Other types of regulars, the so-called normals, frequent this McDonald’s, like the TV newsman in a suit who goes there only because it is near the office. And the nun of 70 years who sometimes sits in the back, where she likes to watch the scene unfold like a Broadway show.

Read the rest of the article here.

I'm having flashbacks to the nearby White Castle that gets its share of seedy people during around 4AM. Never been to that McDonald's but the nearby Wendy's. It's fascinating to say the least.

Jhoan

I went outside yesterday around sunset and was drenched in sweat in matter of seconds despite wearing a sleeveless hoodie/vest. Even after it got cooler post-sunset, it was still god awful. Hydrants were either on sprinkler or full blast in some areas of The Heights I walked around. Thankfully the heat wave is gone by Wednesday.

hoggert

I'm having flashbacks to the nearby White Castle that gets its share of seedy people during around 4AM. Never been to that McDonald's but the nearby Wendy's. It's fascinating to say the least.

That White Castle is like Purgatory on Earth.

When I was funemployed like a hipster my friends forcibly brought me there since I had never had White Castle, and in the space of 30 minutes I saw two fights, one arrest, a pimp, several hookers, a ton of shell shocked tourists and an agitated, sweaty dude asking everyone to change his dollars into quarters. A cashier also had a meltdown because someone apparently shit on the seat in the women's bathroom, but maybe my memory's hazy on that last detail.

It was noon on a weekday so can't even start to imagine what its like at night.

It's hot everywhere, don't feel so special NYC GAF.

But but the heat just bounces off all the concrete and buildings everywhere in NYC so you are all like

giphy.gif

Didn't know there was a NYCGaf, cool!

Been living here for two and a half years. And by here, I mean Staten Island. Near the ferry though, so I barely travel in borough.

It's quiet, safe, but boring. I wish I lived in another borough. Plan on it when I make more money.

I lived by there in a few different spots by the ferry...Stapleton, Park Hill, Rosebank...ya borough is pretty shit but it's better than where I live now (NJ) :(

Kisaya

Having visited Chicago, it's a very similar big city vibe to Manhattan. There's solid public transportation, plenty of tall buildings, and a solid cultural scene similar to NYC's. If you can tolerate rooting for the Blackhawks, the Cubs, and the Bulls, it's not a bad trade off.

Similar big city vibe, way different culture and attitude, from my observations. I'm not the biggest fan of the downtown area just like I don't care for Manhattan, but I've grown to like the smaller neighborhoods and I like the area I'm moving to (Lakeview). And I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to sports so I'm just going to be that asshole who roots for NY teams regardless, haha.

Look at you all grown up now! :D Not at all, I think a change of scenery would do you some good since it'll give you perspective and help you appreciate the pros and cons of each city. They have some pretty decent cons you can attend including C2E2 Expo (organized by the same company that runs NYCC and all the PAX cons among others) and you have a good GAF family out there to support you. Winters are gonna suck though but I think you'll be fine otherwise. You can come visit family/friends during the holidays or the summer.

I fell in love with Boston the first time I went there last year and this year reaffirmed it more since I saw more of it (albeit, still the inner areas). The subway is clean, fast, and has cushioned seats plus Bostonians are pretty friendly. Would I live out there in the future? Maybe since I spoke to a comic artist and his wife at Special Edition---both of whom were former New Yorkers---but now live out in Salem and love it while they miss certain charms/events in NYC. Although Philly has the bigger art scene thinking about it from a professional standpoint but I digress.

I think a change in scenery would do me some good too! I think it's more of losing what I grew up with before gentrification really takes over :/ There's also the fact that I'm not on good terms with my family, so there's not much for me to come back to.

I made sure to renew my IDs I leave though! Has anyone here gotten those ID NYC cards?? It's kinda neat!

10932342_1609966682607037_131871877_n.jpg

Jhoan

But but the heat just bounces off all the concrete and buildings everywhere in NYC so you are all like

giphy.gif
As a Seinfeld fan, this GIF is making me chuckle and grin like the Joker. Sadly, the buildings do make us feel like a oven roasted turkey. Burning alive in the subway doesn't help either.
Similar big city vibe, way different culture and attitude, from my observations. I'm not the biggest fan of the downtown area just like I don't care for Manhattan, but I've grown to like the smaller neighborhoods and I like the area I'm moving to (Lakeview). And I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to sports so I'm just going to be that asshole who roots for NY teams regardless, haha.

I think a change in scenery would do me some good too! I think it's more of losing what I grew up with before gentrification really takes over :/ There's also the fact that I'm not on good terms with my family, so there's not much for me to come back to.

I made sure to renew my IDs I leave though! Has anyone here gotten those ID NYC cards?? It's kinda neat!
[pic]
Hey! Manhattan has its share of treasures despite it being pricey. But then again, I'm being biased as a native Manhattanite since we all love our boroughs. Although it does get tiring seeing midtown for the 1000th time. The life of the party is out in the other boroughs other than Manhattan.

I think I know the reason behind that. It's understandable since it was either your personal freedom or choosing to abide by strict religious rules that you didn't feel at home with. Ultimately, it seems clear to me that your individualism is much more important since it is your life and you gotta make it and if it meant that your family disowned you, then so be it but they have to respect your wishes. Hopefully your family will come around to some day and understand. For now, it's about getting adjusted to a new city, getting into its rhythm, and live it up.

A friend was telling me about those ID's. They're state ID's that don't require getting a license/permit to get. It's like $15 but it's worth it for people who don't drive/plan on driving for a while.

Kisaya

A friend was telling me about those ID's. They're state ID's that don't require getting a license/permit to get. It's like $15 but it's worth it for people who don't drive/plan on driving for a while.

They're actually city IDs, you can only get them if you're a NYC resident. They're super good for people who need identification if they don't qualify for the NYS IDs. And they're free :)

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/idnyc/index.page <--- maybe worth adding to the OP?

Jhoan

Quick bumpdate in this thread that seems to have fallen by the wayside. I added Kisaya's free city ID's the OP as well as a board game cafe called the Brooklyn Strategist that is managed by none other than GAF's very own Alcotholic.

Speaking of the Brooklyn Strategist, I plan on passing by there this weekend either tomorrow or on Saturday. The reason being that I am going to pick up the NeoGAF Notebook which is currently in our lovely city until xkramz sends it off upstate once he adds his stuff to. All are welcome to join me and meet me there.

If anyone would like to join me, please let me know by posting in this thread as to when or shoot me a PM. I'll be down to hang/explore that area afterwards as well as play a board game or two. A quick word of warning: I'm sans phone service for another week while I wait for a SIM card to arrive to activate my new phone so communication will be limited to where ever I can get free Wi-Fi. I do plan to download a few communication apps to it tonight including WhatsApp.

Lastly, I just heard on WNYC the other day that the 7 train expansion 34th street will finally open on the 13th of September so Queens-ites rejoice. Expect New York Comic Con to be even more crowded with tourists this year in addition to the area. I'll be lurking.

PS: Shout out to Toronto GAF for mentioning our lovely meet ups in passing in their latest meet up thread. We're practically neck at neck with them with meet ups (13-16).

Quick bumpdate in this thread that seems to have fallen by the wayside. I added Kisaya's free city ID's the OP as well as a board game cafe called the Brooklyn Strategist that is managed by none other than GAF's very own Alcotholic.

Speaking of the Brooklyn Strategist, I plan on passing by there this weekend either tomorrow or on Saturday. The reason being that I am going to pick up the NeoGAF Notebook which is currently in our lovely city until xkramz sends it off upstate once he adds his stuff to. All are welcome to join me and meet me there.

If anyone would like to join me, please let me know by posting in this thread as to when or shoot me a PM. I'll be down to hang/explore that area afterwards as well as play a board game or two. A quick word of warning: I'm sans phone service for another week while I wait for a SIM card to arrive to activate my new phone so communication will be limited to where ever I can get free Wi-Fi. I do plan to download a few communication apps to it tonight including WhatsApp.

Lastly, I just heard on WNYC the other day that the 7 train expansion 34th street will finally open on the 13th of September so Queens-ites rejoice. Expect New York Comic Con to be even more crowded with tourists this year in addition to the area. I'll be lurking.

PS: Shout out to Toronto GAF for mentioning our lovely meet ups in passing in their latest meet up thread. We're practically neck at neck with them with meet ups (13-16).

Is that the place on Court Street? I've walked past there a bunch of times and always been curious about it.

Haha, so that's how many subway extensions finished before the Second Ave subway finishes?

I lost my wallet a few months back, and since I had my state ID in there at the time, I looked into getting one of those NYC IDs, but there was a waiting list stretching into May or so in order to make an appointment to get one, so I ended up not getting it. Some kind stranger mailed me my wallet back with most of my stuff intact though a couple of weeks ago (Took my Vita games and the 50 cents I had in there, though...), so all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Random question: Anyone in NYC ever try Geocaching? It's more or less a GPS based scavenger hunt, and the city's one of the most active places to find them in. A friend of mine put me on in the beginning of the year, and I've been hooked ever since. I even found one pretty close to where I live, recently.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
^I looked up Geocaching, since I have never heard of it. This sounds like lots of fun. Going to try it over the weekend.

Jhoan

Is that the place on Court Street? I've walked past there a bunch of times and always been curious about it.
That's right. Now you have a reason/excuse to go in there knowing that a GAF member manages the place. GAF members are everywhere in disguise! Sadly I don't think we'll get perks for being GAF members but hey, you never know; when in doubt, holler "Believe" "Love" as a secret password. ;p
Haha, so that's how many subway extensions finished before the Second Ave subway finishes?

I lost my wallet a few months back, and since I had my state ID in there at the time, I looked into getting one of those NYC IDs, but there was a waiting list stretching into May or so in order to make an appointment to get one, so I ended up not getting it. Some kind stranger mailed me my wallet back with most of my stuff intact though a couple of weeks ago (Took my Vita games and the 50 cents I had in there, though...), so all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Random question: Anyone in NYC ever try Geocaching? It's more or less a GPS based scavenger hunt, and the city's one of the most active places to find them in. A friend of mine put me on in the beginning of the year, and I've been hooked ever since. I even found one pretty close to where I live, recently.
That damn station is going to be stalled for another two years or so. However, I heard on the radio the other that deBlasio's plans to regulate Uber includes having money go to the MTA since the NYC Taxis already do. It won't be much though but it's something that Uber said they willing to comply with.

That's a bummer about your VIta games being gone. As the saying goes "No good deed goes unpunished." I think you're better off just getting your Learner's Permit since it's more or less the same thing.

Yeah, I heard of it. There was a Geocaching thread here on GAF that I lurked in that has gone into obscurity. I spoke to a few a friends who have done and others who said it makes a great date. There's a geocache in Ft. Tryon Park.

Unfortunately, I heard that the Premium version of the official Geocaching app sucks based on reviews (at least on Android). The free version is much better and there's a 3rd party app that's free that's also great. But imagine it chugs a huge chunk of battery life having the GPS and the aforementioned app running.

I'm going to download it to my phone. It sounds like a fun thing to do in this lovely weather we've been having lately.

That's a bummer about your VIta games being gone. As the saying goes "No good deed goes unpunished." I think you're better off just getting your Learner's Permit since it's more or less the same thing

I ended up having most of my identification replaced anyway, though I still need my Learner's Permit anyhow. (Never went for it in the first place)

I had the Premium version of the Geocaching app for a few months, though all it really did was reveal some of the more advanced Geocaches in the city. The free app is more than enough for anyone looking to try it out.

I spoke to a few a friends who have done and others who said it makes a great date.

Yeah, I can personally attest to it working well as a date thing. It's also great to do for people new to or visiting the city, since quite a few caches are usually either named or themed after a landmark close by. It's a great way to learn more about the city.

Jhoan

I ended up having most of my identification replaced anyway, though I still need my Learner's Permit anyhow. (Never went for it in the first place)

I had the Premium version of the Geocaching app for a few months, though all it really did was reveal some of the more advanced Geocaches in the city. The free app is more than enough for anyone looking to try it out.

Yeah, I can personally attest to it working well as a date thing. It's also great to do for people new to or visiting the city, since quite a few caches are usually either named or themed after a landmark close by. It's a great way to learn more about the city.
Mines expired on my birthday so I gotta go the DMV one of these days to renew it.

Ah, okay cool. That's good to know. Definitely will give it a check for sure to future proof myself for a cheap date idea.

Going to be in the city this weekend, I fucking miss living here. I wish it wasn't so expensive.
You ain't missing much but I suppose anything beats living out in the boondocks of CT including living out in Jersey. Life out there is way too simple for city folks even though you're closer to Boston.
Do we have a meet up coming soon?
I suggested something above about doing a mini meet up at the Brooklyn Strategist since as I mentioned, I'm going to pass by this weekend to pick up the NeoGAF Notebook from Alcotholic. The added perk being that anyone who joins me gets to contribute to the aforementioned book since a few peeps bailed which means there's extra pages (at 6 additional pages). Plus I don't want to go out to Brooklyn alone admittedly (not that it matters since Alcotholic is cool peeps).

Lulubop is also looking for wingmen to go bar hopping with but not for this weekend since he works.

As for a formal meet up? Toronto GAF is gaining on us that they have a meet up this month. I gotta PM DoktorEvil to check what the status of the next meet up is that he was thinking about slating it for August. The reason being that Mully (who's on a self-imposed ban for another couple of months) would help him organize it. I might come out of retirement and organize a big one in the near future.

^^^Hahaha, I'll be sure to bring crayons, coloring books, sippy cups, and bibs for all to drink juice from. Chuck E. Cheese's in Flushing anyone?

Item Box

Going karaoke with friends tomorrow and I have no idea what the top billboard songs are.
Hopefully it wont matter after a few drinks
Pretty much anything is better than 2 Bros, lol. But the place I'm referring to is actually better than some normal pizzerias. If you're in the area and want pizza and/or something inexpensive, definitely consider checking it out.

2 bros is the worst dollar spot, bro.

bruh  
1qMy5xh.png

I don't go to pizza joints often, so two bros is the only (dollar) one that I went to recently. I usually go to Steve's Pizza in downtown manhattan or Tony's pizza in brooklyn. Good menus but pretty pricey.

I'll check out that dollar place on 50th the next time I'm in the area

Gray Matter

You ain't missing much but I suppose anything beats living out in the boondocks of CT including living out in Jersey. Life out there is way too simple for city folks even though you're closer to Boston.

What?! NYC is the greatest city in the world IMO (mainly because I haven't traveled much).

Penguin

1. Since Jipan mentioned one in passing, think heading hear on Saturday since one of my co-workers is part of the presentation

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/30/24-record-collection-art-2015-07-24-bk.html

Maybe around 3 or so... just to stop in.

2. Mentioned in passing on Twitter, but if anyone has any idea of things to do on Friday afternoon... I'm terrible at coming up with stuff, but get out of work at noon for the next week weeks.

3. This is weird, but eh I have a lot of time.... if anyone is in/around Midtown... always like meeting new folks for lunch/finding new places to eat because it is a madhouse

nel e nel

It's another Monday and this heat wave has been god awful! Has anyone lost power? Because I read a report that people have been losing power around the city left and right.

I quietly updated the OP over the weekend and added in the Church of Sweden on 48th between 5th and Madison as a place of interest to check out for their $3 Swedish cinnamon buns among other treats and a great place to go to in general (have not been there yet but it's on my radar).

I wanted share some excerpts of an article The Times that sheds light on the seedy underbelly that our lovely city still has (not that most of us weren't already aware of it):

Read the rest of the article here.

Yeah, I read this article recently too. It's kind of a shame since they don't really address the issues that are creating the problems: namely the lack of proper funding for services and spaces for those folks trying to recover from addiction to hang out in. I think they spend about 2 sentences talking about how there are no cheap hanging out options for these folks to take advantage of and the entire rest of the article is kind of sensationalist fear mongering. I mean, the one quote of the Drunknmonkey guy, let's read the whole thing:

Another regular, Joey, also usually comes back inside after the guard leaves. On a recent Monday, at 2:30 p.m., he sat at a front table, drinking a King Cobra malt liquor and wearing a red T-shirt proclaiming “Drunknmunky.” He stepped outside for a cigarette and then started to cry.

“I did detox. I did rehab. I did everything,” said Joey, who said he sleeps on the nearby post office’s steps. “Nothing worked. I have one drink and I can’t stop, I can’t stop, I can’t stop.”

It was his 39th birthday. Within 20 minutes, he went back inside and popped open another beer.

Kinda a tragic story, but hey, who cares when tourists and other folks can't get some fries, amirite?

Re: Brooklyn Strategist - I walked past that a while ago when I was in the area, looks like they also do activities for kids too, for the parents out there. And for folks looking for stuff to do, you can check out Thrillist and Flavorpill for some ideas. Village Voice is also a good standby for concert listings. Some of the more unique and local stuff is very word of mouth/grapevine though, so may require some digging or knowing people or being on mailing lists.

Jhoan

What?! NYC is the greatest city in the world IMO (mainly because I haven't traveled much).
I think you get a better appreciation of the city after living somewhere else for a while or visiting other cities.
1. Since Jipan mentioned one in passing, think heading hear on Saturday since one of my co-workers is part of the presentation

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/38/30/24-record-collection-art-2015-07-24-bk.html

Maybe around 3 or so... just to stop in.

2. Mentioned in passing on Twitter, but if anyone has any idea of things to do on Friday afternoon... I'm terrible at coming up with stuff, but get out of work at noon for the next week weeks.

3. This is weird, but eh I have a lot of time.... if anyone is in/around Midtown... always like meeting new folks for lunch/finding new places to eat because it is a madhouse
I've been pretty silent on Twitter lately mostly because I have no idea what to tweet about these days without causing a drop in followers. So I've been lurking mostly and DM'ing a few friends.

It sounds like 3PMish might not be a bad idea to pass by the Brooklyn Strategist tommorrow. I think my plan is going to be to pass by tomorrow afternoon as opposed today while I wait to see if anyone else plans on joining me. However, I'm dreading taking the F train over the weekend since it's usually pretty damn slow/full of delays over the weekend.=/

Yeah, I read this article recently too. It's kind of a shame since they don't really address the issues that are creating the problems: namely the lack of proper funding for services and spaces for those folks trying to recover from addiction to hang out in. I think they spend about 2 sentences talking about how there are no cheap hanging out options for these folks to take advantage of and the entire rest of the article is kind of sensationalist fear mongering. I mean, the one quote of the Drunknmonkey guy, let's read the whole thing:

Kinda a tragic story, but hey, who cares when tourists and other folks can't get some fries, amirite?

Re: Brooklyn Strategist - I walked past that a while ago when I was in the area, looks like they also do activities for kids too, for the parents out there. And for folks looking for stuff to do, you can check out Thrillist and Flavorpill for some ideas. Village Voice is also a good standby for concert listings. Some of the more unique and local stuff is very word of mouth/grapevine though, so may require some digging or knowing people or being on mailing lists.
The fact there's a liquor store nearby further fuels the nature of the beast. I think the article takes more of a detached, observational point of view and lets the readers be the judge. It's a bit tragic but the reality is that most of us will ignore it if we encounter these people since it's an every day thing.

The Joey guy is an example of someone who's caught in the never ending cycle of company loves misery. I imagine tourists find it both fascinating and repulsing but then again, every city has the good, the bad, and the ugly seemingly out in the open at the same time.

I have the Village Voice listed in the OP but Thrillist and Flavorpill I do not so thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of the MTA, they've shrunk their budget deficit down to 9.8 billion dollars. A few choice quotes from the article:

The MTA also recently stumbled across a surprise $2.4 billion, according to Pendergast, "in unanticipated revenues, aggressive cost-cutting and more efficient operations."

An extra $200 million per year from the city for the next five years (on top of the $125 million annually de Blasio agreed to in May), plus $1.5 billion to jumpstart the next phase of the Second Avenue Subway. It would be on the State to fund the rest of the plan, to the tune of $7.3 billion (on top of its current annual contribution of $1 billion.)

" However, "Our chief concern is, how heavily will the new capital program rely on debt? The MTA already owes $34 billion, more than the national debt of dozens of foreign countries."

I don't think the MTA is ever going to get the full funding that it needs to clear its debt but hey there's progress albeit at a snail's pace. As long we don't another fare hike within these next few years, we'll be fine. I suppose it's a small price to pay for having a 24 hour subway system.

Jhoan

I'll be at the Barcade the 28th for some videogame critics community event. I believe its on 24th st.
The page in question with the details in case anyone is interested (I'll add it to the OP as a resource): http://nygamecritics.com/

I went to one meet up two years ago that was at the Williamsburg Barcade. Saw GAF member El Sloth there and met Kotaku's very own Press Sneak Fuck, Jason Schreier. He looked much different than his GAF avatar which he admitted that it was a younger picture and was touting his 3DS.

He was a pretty nice guy to talk to and said that the only reason Kotaku gets a bad rap is because many people on GAF like to hate on it much like any written by Polygon (even their great features) gets dismissed. It turned out that his father graduated from the same college I went to in the 70s. Hopefully he'll be there again this year and while it's wishful thinking, it would be cool if Jeff Bakalar shows up with the Giant Bomb East crew in tow.

I'm a bit bummed out that it's going to be at the Chelsea Barcade as opposed to the St. Marks one because I'm super burned out by that location. In any case I'll probably RSVP I go check it out even if my budget is a bit tight for the month. If anything, it'll be cool to go for the raffles and network.

Spoke Art is bringing their Wes Anderson gallery show to the city in two weeks... and they're ticketing the damn thing. If anyone was interested: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/6th-annual-wes-anderson-themed-art-exhibit-tickets-17870722813
I saw that on Gothamist and DNA Info. Never seen any of his films but I'm a huge sucker for art shows to look for influences. Some day I will see Moonrise Kingdom.

That show is going to fill up so fast and more than likely with full with tourists ahoy. I remember waiting on line for the Kara Walker exhibition at the now defunct Domino Sugar factory for a good 20-30 minutes and we had to sign a release form. Definitely will be checking it out or at least adding it to my radar.

The page in question with the details in case anyone is interested (I'll add it to the OP as a resource): http://nygamecritics.com/

I went to one meet up two years ago that was at the Williamsburg Barcade. Saw GAF member El Sloth there and met Kotaku's very own Press Sneak Fuck, Jason Schreier. He looked much different than his GAF avatar which he admitted that it was a younger picture and was touting his 3DS.

He was a pretty nice guy to talk to and said that the only reason Kotaku gets a bad rap is because many people on GAF like to hate on it much like any written by Polygon (even their great features) gets dismissed. It turned out that his father graduated from the same college I went to in the 70s. Hopefully he'll be there again this year and while it's wishful thinking, it would be cool if Jeff Bakalar shows up with the Giant Bomb East crew in tow.

I'm a bit bummed out that it's going to be at the Chelsea Barcade as opposed to the St. Marks one because I'm super burned out by that location. In any case I'll probably RSVP I go check it out even if my budget is a bit tight for the month. If anything, it'll be cool to go for the raffles and network.

I saw that on Gothamist and DNA Info. Never seen any of his films but I'm a huge sucker for art shows to look for influences. Some day I will see Moonrise Kingdom.

That show is going to fill up so fast and more than likely with full with tourists ahoy. I remember waiting on line for the Kara Walker exhibition at the now defunct Domino Sugar factory for a good 20-30 minutes and we had to sign a release form. Definitely will be checking it out or at least adding it to my radar.
I was invited by a friend so I'll be there for a bit.

Gray Matter

NYC gonna NYC. I was on my way to port authority (to go back to CT) already running a bit late, on the D train. Got to 110 street when a fight broke out a few carts over and missed my bus back.

Edit: I fucking hate port authority, fuck this place.

Man where does this NYC smells like piss thing come from? I don't smell it. I mean I've heard from people it used to back in the day before the city got cleaned up.

Penguin

I'll be at the Barcade the 28th for some videogame critics community event. I believe its on 24th st.
Is anyone else going to this tonight?

Man where does this NYC smells like piss thing come from? I don't smell it. I mean I've heard from people it used to back in the day before the city got cleaned up.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the subways (which has a variety of smells, none of them nice) and certain elevators that exudes urine

Jhoan

Is anyone else going to this tonight?
Holy crap! I didn't realize this was today today. I got caught up with meeting up with a girl (The Cloisters is amazing duders, seriously check it out) and trying to activate my new phone which led down a rabbit hole after rabbit hole. Do have fun guys!

Oh and as for an update on the next meet up: DoktorEvil is on vacation and hasn't really checked GAF actively but will update me once he contacts Mully to help him organize it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Places where you'll encounter the smell of piss.

1) Next to certain pillars in the subway
2) Near some of the homeless
3) At the seats on either end of subway cars, mostly because they seem to be favored by the homeless for sleeping on
4) The Penn Station men's restroom is basically an aquarium of piss (for the understandable reason that thousands of people are pissing in it day in, day out, but it is literally the worst restroom in the world)
5) You might be able to smell piss in Chinatown or Flushing if you can isolate it from all the other smells coming off of the trash left on the sidewalk
6) Hudson River on a hot, steamy day

I knew someone from Boulder who visited once and one of the first things he said was how the air was just awful here. It may be that people coming from more rural areas are not used to the perfume of exhaust/pollution/people/food that envelops NYC and think it's "piss".

aparisi2274

Walking into a subway station on a hot, summer day is like crawling into the anal cavity of an animal that has been dead for a week, and has been baking in the sun.

I dread walking into a subway station...

It just occurred to me that some girl on Tinder invited me to the Chelsea Barcade tonight and I turned her down. I would've ended up going to that haha

haha. i just got back from there. Was a cool crowd, aside from my one person, i didn't really know anyone, so met and talked to some strangers.

I don't know if any gaffers were there today, but if you saw a short, round Asian with shorts. That's me.

Jhoan

This piss discussion is comically hilarious. You guys are doing a great job scaring off prospective New Yorkers/GAF members looking to visit. Toronto GAF and Brit GAF are having a laugh riot right about now.

Maybe it's because I'm oblivious to it, but I live by the Hudson and as far I know, the piss smell hasn't wafted into my nose. But yes, the Port Authority Bathroom does emanate something fierce as does the Penn Station bathroom. The Grand Central Station bathroom is pretty damn clean but gets its share of odd people doing all kinds of odd things.

And the Times Square station platform always smells god awful (or rather the MTA subway stations in general). Every city has a trademark smell. Still feel bad for passing by Jersey only to get hit with the horrible smell of a sewage system.

Penguin

haha. i just got back from there. Was a cool crowd, aside from my one person, i didn't really know anyone, so met and talked to some strangers.

I don't know if any gaffers were there today, but if you saw a short, round Asian with shorts. That's me.

That narrows it down

Were you with another... taller Asian... Francois or something?

I knew someone from Boulder who visited once and one of the first things he said was how the air was just awful here. It may be that people coming from more rural areas are not used to the perfume of exhaust/pollution/people/food that envelops NYC and think it's "piss".

NYC has its share of bad smells, but its air is a lot less polluted than LA for sure.

Top Bottom