• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

ethomaz

Banned
Well I didn't. I personally got burned with Destiny 1 and I thought about giving Bungie another shot with Destiny 2 but going by the reveal it's very clear it's not for me and I'm definitely skipping it.
So you wanted NotDestiny 2.

Destiny needs to be Destiny and that made it the most successful new IP this gen and the second biggest videogame franchise this gen.

I was pleased with the reveal. I like Destiny a lot, always have, and the changes and additions they announced seem like good decisions, in my opinion. I didn't expect 60fps and dedis, as much as I would have liked those things. I'm disappointed people are so quickly writing it off. Launch Destiny did a lot of damage to Bungie's reputation in this community, unfortunately.

Drencrom

Destiny needs to be Destiny and that made it the most successful new IP this gen and the second biggest videogame franchise this gen.

I wanted Bungie's original vision that they sold me on with Destiny 1, which we won't get with D2 either.

But yes, people do enjoy grinding and mindless shooting so yeah it's most likely yet another commercial hit for Bungie, just not a critical one.

Toni

Change something that reach a population bigger than CoD??? I think these expectation are crazy.

Destiny 2 needs to be Destiny in first place.

Oh, I agree to some extent. They don't need to deviate themselves from what makes Destiny, Destiny at its core. But introducing fundamental changes and new additions to what usually a sequel brings in, is the depth people were looking for.

Meaning new ways to play from a gameplay mechanic perspective (Third person, piloting ships, more melee executions, stealth combat, different ways to approach combat, etc).

And other basic things such as new sub classes, new enemies, new vehicles, actual open world exploration like Destiny 1 envisioned, revamped PVP with actual vehicles being a more dominant format in combat, own your own house somehwere in the Last City, customize your own ship, a new galaxy (Andromeda galaxy?), etc.

Incremental changes that provide people with the intensity of a sequel so that they jump in to the next iteration.

Destiny 2 isn't living up to any of this.

ethomaz

Banned
I wanted Bungie's original vision that they sold me on with Destiny 1, which we won't get with D2 either.

But yes, people do enjoy grinding and mindless shooting so yeah it's most likely yet another commercial hit for Bungie, just not critically.
Destiny is the vision Bungie sold to me and it was awesome... if you just think Destiny is just a mindless shooting then we have nothing to discuss because there is no other shooter in the market that put strategy and team play at the same Destiny level... you need to think, react, cooperate, be smart to be good.

I was hoping it'd wow me, but ultimately I'm likely only to play with my friends and with the occasional gaffer here and there. Not expecting to get nearly as into it as I did with vanilla destiny the first few months. I use these games as an excuse to talk random shit with them.

Trickster

People expected more Destiny.

Change something that reach a population bigger than CoD??? I think these expectation are crazy.

Destiny 2 needs to be Destiny in first place.

This is some silliness man

Saying Destiny 2 just needs to be Destiny is about as broad and vague of an argument I think is possible

"New videogames should just be like the old videogames!"

Kalentan

This argument is so tired...

New classes, new enemy types, more UI redesigns, etc... How would any of these changes or additions be considered a new IP?

Crucible could've changed the super meter into a tiered resource guage that could be spent on cool assignable buffs, or when fully filled, just use for super like we have for the past 3+ years.

Not really sure what new classes they could make. The sub classes already cover all the bases. Like what new class could they make that couldn't fall under Titan, Warlock, and Hunter?

There will no doubt be new types of enemies within each faction. We've already seen some examples (like the dual wielding Cabal). The game already has 4 (5? If the Taken come back) factions. Not really what else they could introduce that won't be too similar to what we have.

UI Redesigns? Why? Why fix what isn't broken?

The way people talk about what they wanted Destiny 2 to be... Isn't more new stuff... They wanted it to be fundamentally different from the original.

jviggy43

Saying Destiny 2 just needs to be Destiny is about as broad and vague of an argument I think is possible

Mind you he glossed over the statement from Bungie themselves articulating that this wouldn't just be more "destiny". I'm not sure hes actually trying to have a real conversation with these posts.

Ryuuga

Banned
Borderlands 2 is more Borderlands but you can sure as fuck tell them apart from a gameplay and visual perspective.

Kusuri

Neo Member
4v4 multiplayer and not hitting 60fps is laughable imo

What could they possibly be doing in 4v4 that warrants 30fps when basically every other shooter on the market has more than double or even quadruple the amount of players and hit 60fps?

Exactly. It's mind-boggling.
Would be somewhat fine with it still being 30fps in Singleplayer *only*, but 60fps for MP.
4v4 would also be fine if that were to only become the new norm for the previous game's 3v3 modes.

Was at least expecting 8v8 replace 6v6, making use of aptly proportionate maps.
If it's to make it so they have less work on map-making I just can't understand how they cannot simply make every map big enough for 8v8, but select and limit the playable area of the very same map with noticeable bounds indicators to make it also work for 4v4 like BF has been doing.

jviggy43

Destiny is the vision Bungie sold to me and it was awesome... if you just think Destiny is just a mindless shooting then we have nothing to discuss because there is no other shooter in the market that put strategy and team play at the same Destiny level... you need to think, react, cooperate, be smart to be good.

Xgdo6.gif

This isn't even true for this year, let alone this gen. What?

ethomaz

Banned
Oh, I agree to some extent. They don't need to deviate themselves from what makes Destiny, Destiny at its core. But introducing fundamental changes and new additions to what usually a sequel brings in, is the depth people were looking for.

Meaning new ways to play from a gameplay mechanic perspective (Third person, piloting ships, more melee executions, stealth combat, different ways to approach combat, etc).

And other basic things such as new sub classes, new enemies, new vehicles, actual open world exploration like Destiny 1 envisioned, revamped PVP with actual vehicles being a more dominant format in combat, own your own house somehwere in the Last City, customize your own ship, a new galaxy, etc.

Incremental changes that provide people with the intensity of a sequel so that they jump in to the next iteration.

Destiny 2 isn't living up to any of this.
Most of if not all things you listed was showed in Destiny 2 yesterday.

Drencrom

Calling it mindless might be reaching for stuff like the raid (something I just got to play once because Bungie are dumb af and did let you matchmake), otherwise most missions and strikes were mindless shooting and grinding. Nearly all missions are basically just waves of enemies so.

ethomaz

Banned
Calling it mindless might be reaching for stuff like the raid (something I just got to play once because Bungie are dumb af and did let you matchmake), otherwise most missions and strikes were mindless shooting and grinding. Nearly all missions are basically just waves of enemies so.
Raid is part of Destiny sorry and even Strikes requires what I said... it is the base of Destiny

You watched a different reveal than I did then
Where you want me to start because at very begin of the reveal you see new subclasses, new enemies, new weapons, more meele options, new abilities, etc.

Toni

Most of if not all things you listed was showed in Destiny 2 yesterday.

I don't think so man... :(

Other wise the internet wouldn't be in such a turmoil over this reveal.

Some folks will be okay at some level, but its really hard to discern major changes from the reveal if you put Desitny 1 and 2 side by side.

Maybe 2 years down the road Destiny 2 will be in a different league, but considering its been in development for 3 years already, people were expecting big things. It shouldn't really have to take another several years for Destiny 2 to have its own identity instead of it being "more Destiny 1".

anothertech

Still holding out for ship space battles and Alterac valley style large scale pvp mode.

I fully expect this to be shown at E3.

big_z

I'm surprised millions were willing to sink tons of hours into a half baked game and praise it. But now that bungie is giving those people more of the same the response is largely negative.

It will be interesting to see how the press covers this. Could have another titanfall 2 scenario where first impressions/word of mouth is bad enough a lot of people pass on the game.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know think so man... :(

Other wise the internet wouldn't be in such a turmoil over this reveal.

Some folks will be okay at some level, but its really hard to discern major changes from the reveal if you put Desitny 1 and 2 side by side.

Maybe 2 years down the road Destiny 2 will be in a different league, but considering its been in development for 3 years already, people were expecting big things. It shouldn't really have to take another several years for Destiny 2 to have its own identity instead of being "more Destiny 1".
Or maybe tou can't see difference because you did not played Destiny because I was listing the new things just when popped the gameplay.

It was very exciting every new change.

jviggy43

I mean, perhaps a little hyperbolictic, but the raids demand each of those things.

That is Destiny experience for you... maybe you missed it.

That is what made Destiny different from others fps in the market.
No doubt raids qualify for that. I might even say nightfall but that's pretty trivial if you're leveled for it. Other than that, the majority of PvE is rather mindless shooting. Absurdly excellent mechanics no doubt. But pretty mindless otherwise.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm surprised millions were willing to sink tons of hours into a half baked game and praise it. But now that bungie is giving those people more of the same the response is largely negative.

It will be interesting to see how the press covers this. Could have another titanfall 2 scenario where first impressions/word of mouth is bad enough a lot of people pass on the game.
I guess Titanfall failed to delivery the first game and that affected Titanfall 2 no matter how good it was.

Destiny delivered and Destiny is safe... the bad impression come from the same guys that dropped Destiny even before play it.

anothertech

I know why people are so frustrated. They were expecting a next gen upgrade like halo/halo 2, but everyone is forgetting Destiny and Destiny2 are same gen releases. So we should expect more like the difference between halo 3 and halo 4, which we are definitely getting.

Destiny 3 will be the next gen release in 2019, maybe even a launch title for ps5/xbone2, but until we get the new hardware, it will be just incremental upgrades.

The main things that needed to be fixed were more content, larger open world, lfg friendly tools, and better story telling/lore. I think they covered that with the reveal so far.

renzolama

Not enough boots on the ground, obviously

Edit: Destiny: WW2 - now that's a sequel concept I could get behind.
Edit2: Actually nevermind, Wolfenstein already got the futuristic-nazi-fighting market

How is that at all relevant? Does still liking the game and purchasing negate people thinking that it should be more/not disappointed? Because it doesnt.

That's the joke! You can think what you want. And you can come on GAF and moan, but Bungie has your support. So thanks for supporting a franchise I love. I look forward to your continued patronage

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Not really destiny is a unquie shooter, plays diffrent then anything else out there. No point in changing the core shooting unless you want to loose that feel.

I mean I wouldn't want cod to play like battlefield, I don't want destiny to play like anything else.

Trickster

Where you want me to start because at very begin of the reveal you see new subclasses, new enemies, new weapons, more meele options, new abilities, etc.

By all means show me where they showed news ways to play the game in the form of "Third person", "piloting ships", "stealth combat". And also "actual open world exploration like Destiny 1 envisioned", "revamped PVP with actual vehicles being a more dominant format in combat", "own your own house somewhere in the Last City, "a new galaxy".

I'm not saying none of what he mentioned was shown yesterday. But you said most if not all. Which, of the things specifically mentioned in the post you responded too, is really not the case.

Borderlands 2 is more Borderlands but you can sure as fuck tell them apart from a gameplay and visual perspective.

Sorry I couldn't tell BL1 from Bl2 and I played them both...alot.

Edit: just like COD series is different only with maps, skins, campaign and weapons.

Just like BF 1 is like BF4 because of different maps, skins on weapons, rebalancing of some classes and vehicles, etc...

I played Destiny 1 for over a thousand hours and noticed clear differences in thay reveal. Its more destiny refined and I am damn fine with that. DESTINY Raids are some of the best coop moments I have had in gaming.

Ryuuga

Banned
Sorry I couldn't tell BL1 from Bl2 and I played them both...alot.

That's unfortunate. From 1 to 2 I see a more immediate and liberal use of color. The UI especially the character menu has seen a drastic change and well obviously they introduced new character classes.

jviggy43

That's the joke! You can think what you want. And you can come on GAF and moan, but Bungie has your support. So thanks for supporting a franchise I love. I look forward to your continued patronage
I mean ok. In the mean time I'll continue to point out the areas that the game could improve on, because I like destiny, but don't also think it's impervious to suggestions for areas of improvement. If you really loved the game, you'd want it to be better too. Nothing is beyond suggestions for improvement and certainly not destiny.

I mean ok. In the mean time I'll continue to point out the areas that the game could improve on, because I like destiny, but don't also think it's impervious to suggestions for areas of improvement. If you really loved the game, you'd want it to be better too. Nothing is beyond suggestions for improvement and certainly not destiny.

I agree 100%. It's a joke less directed at a steady fan and more at shitposter #107 who drops in, laughs, but secretly buys destiny anyways.

my D2 improvement list isn't high yet, but I bet it will be come the weekend after Sept 8. For now I'll enjoy the ride and avoid the salt cause it's bad for your blood pressure.

Right, I forgot that Modern Warfare 3 was a Golf game.

What? Are you saying that because they're both FPS they play the same? Or they're both CoD they play the same? Either way you're wrong. It's like saying CoD 4 and MW2 play the same. You'd need to be a madman to say that with a straight face.

ExVicis

I can't believe people enjoyed vanilla Destiny. A lot of what I don't like in video games. The sequel doesn't inspire much.
It fulfills an FPS itch that a lot of games don't properly scratch and that gun-play aspect of it and how it feels is really really good. Using the more powerful Handcannons in Destiny was some of the most satisfying things to do. It's just the stuff outside of that was very lacking.

Honestly for me it's like "Yeah the gunplay and stuff looks good still, it was already looking good before. What else you got for us Bungie?"

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Why doesnt Progress from destiny 1 carry over?

Lore answer, everything blew up, lost power because the traveler has been cut off.

Real answer, everything new no real way to integrate old things into the new system besides the face sliders

ethomaz

Banned
I can't believe people enjoyed vanilla Destiny. A lot of what I don't like in video games. The sequel doesn't inspire much.
Not only one but a huge playable loved Destiny and when I say huge I mean at peaking over 1 million users per day even after 2 years.

molnizzle

Not only one but a huge playable loved Destiny and when I say huge I mean at peaking over 1 million users per day even after 2 years.

That's not vanilla Destiny.

Vanilla Destiny = launch era Destiny.

Shit was rough. Even people who love the game now admit that.

DrBo42

Sure wish people would stop acting like they represent everyone that's interested in Destiny 2 with this "You didn't want to play Destiny if you wanted new classes etc" and this weird crusade to prove wanting new features or classes somehow makes it a new IP. Seriously fuck off with that shit. Some of us liked Destiny for what it was but want more from it and it's okay that we're vocal about it.

cLOUDo

Personally I was expected a huge upgrade
-one year more of development
-No ps3 version
-more knowledge of this current gen

But all I see is just more of the same
Same enemies, same classes, same mechanics
Even the HUD looks completely the same

it's not day 1 for me. I think i am going to wait awhile first to see what most of my friends think. We were really disappointed with the dark below and house of wolves, and the weapon balance was pretty shitty.

jviggy43

I agree 100%. It's a joke less directed at a steady fan and more at shitposter #107 who drops in, laughs, but secretly buys destiny anyways.

my D2 improvement list isn't high yet, but I bet it will be come the weekend after Sept 8. For now I'll enjoy the ride and avoid the salt cause it's bad for your blood pressure.

Ah gotcha. I like Desitny. I complain a lot about it, but it comes from a place of just wanting it it be the best game it can be. I understand if people think otherwise tho.

kasane

No new classes and like was it 1 sub class? Thats a bit unacceptable considering this is a
'sequel'. Also the language they were using was pretty iffy.

As someone who got destiny on day 1 im leaning towards waiting abit.

I actually loved destiny 1 , my only complaint was lack of content , that is also my biggest worry with the sequel . I was expecting a lot more then another 4 planets , 20+ strikes (this part is still unknown) , entirely new races , 20+ story missions (again unknown) and at least 2 raids.

My biggest worry is we are again only going to get a small amount of story / strikes .

Top Bottom