• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

So2qWRx.gif

Culex

Banned
It's the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew. Unfortunately, it's old enough that some of my students here in South Florida don't take hurricanes that seriously. Thankfully the older one who were around for Wilma are more serious about it.

Anyone who remembers Andrew knows just how utterly devastating hurricanes can be. The only positive of Andrew is that it woke up South Florida and got them to take hurricanes even more seriously. Knock on wood, South Florida should be able to handle this better than Andrew. But I'm only considering my area of South Florida; I don't know about the other parts...

As bad as hurricanes are, at least we're capable of seeing them coming days ahead of time. I'd hate to be in an area where massive earthquakes can occur at the drop of a hat
I'll be safe for this storm (if it hits), but I'm worrying about coming back to a flooded home. I also have to worry about the plywood covering my windows breaking and the two trees in front of my house falling on top of it. Thank goodness that I live alone and that I can rely on family that live five minutes away in case the worst happens.

The one good thing about Andrew is it forced building code and material improvements, and not just for Florida.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
It's the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew. Unfortunately, it's old enough that some of my students here in South Florida don't take hurricanes that seriously. Thankfully the older one who were around for Wilma are more serious about it.

Anyone who remembers Andrew knows just how utterly devastating hurricanes can be. The only positive of Andrew is that it woke up South Florida and got them to take hurricanes even more seriously. Knock on wood, South Florida should be able to handle this better than Andrew. But I'm only considering my area of South Florida; I don't know about the other parts...

As bad as hurricanes are, at least we're capable of seeing them coming days ahead of time. I'd hate to be in an area where massive earthquakes can occur at the drop of a hat
I'll be safe for this storm (if it hits), but I'm worrying about coming back to a flooded home. I also have to worry about the plywood covering my windows breaking and the two trees in front of my house falling on top of it. Thank goodness that I live alone and that I can rely on family that live five minutes away in case the worst happens.

Just got the roof fixed because it was leaking. Hope it holds up. Most my house has tile flooring except for a few rooms with wood flooring that do not mix well with water.

Our building standards are way better than they were during Andrew, but that still doesn't do anything when a tree falls on your house, or the flooding roadblocks the entire city. Downtown Miami/Wynwood/SouthBeach is fucked if it brings a lot of rain.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Who gets to name these hurricanes? Why Irma and not Ivanka or Ivan?
The World Metrological Organization developed 6 A-Z lists of hurricane names that alternate every year (one per year). The names typically alternate between male and female. To learn more: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames_history.shtml

Ivan was retired in 2004. Ivanka isn't on any list currently but could always be a replacement for one of the female I names if they get retired in the future

witness

Have completed two more supply trips, if it's a direct shot up the state as a Cat 4 then we are leaving Orlando on Friday and going to my dads in New Orleans. My office is right next door to a WalMart so I'm walking over there tomorrow during my lunch break for a final supply run if we stay. The home owner changed out the entire roof last year after Matthew (it was the original roof of 30+ years so it was time anyway) so I hope it can hold up to whatever we get here. I do not want to come back to a home with a tree in it even though we don't own it.

SkyOdin

The National Hurricane Center picks the names for North Atlantic tropical storms. They have six lists of names that go in alphabetical order, and they swap which list they use each year. The lists are thus made up years ahead of time.

Particularly devestating storms and hurricanes have their names removed from future lists. The name Ivan was retired from the lists after Hurricane Ivan, a category 5 hurricane, did terrible damage in 2004.

Where is Miami in relation to eye wall?

The right front quadrant. The absolute worst case scenario. Not only would they get the highest winds, but they'd get an absolutely nightmarish storm surge.

However, new EURO will come out in due time tonight, as well as another GFS suite around 11 EST. Every successive model run is extremely important at this point. Within 48 hours we will likely know exactly how this is going to play out.

That doesn't mean people shouldn't already be planning to leave Florida. Just like with Harvey and Houston...if the storm dumps 50"+ of rain on Houston and you left, you are a genius. If it doesn't and you left, you had an inconvenience. For Florida, if it misses, just an inconvenience. But if it hits, especially Miami in exactly that way, you will have an absolute horror of horrors.

UberTag

Ivan is retired.
Here's a list of all of the retired Atlantic hurricane names.

'I' names are tough enough to come up with a wide variety of options - doubly so when a number of the names are attached to memorable storms and can't be used any more.

The retired 'I' storms are... Irene (2011), Igor (2010), Ike (2008), Ivan (2004), Isabel (2003), Isidore (2002), Iris (2001), Inez (1966) and Ione (1955). Irma will undoubtedly join them barring a minor miracle.

Upcoming 'I' storms will be named Isaac (2018), Imelda (2019), Isaias (2020), Ida (2021) and Ian (2022).

IrishNinja

last night my girl & i were feeding a stray kitten that i thought was stuck in the base of a tree, turned out it wasnt but it wouldn't let me get anywhere near it...really kinda worried for it, couldn't find it earlier today but im gonna check back...hope it's somewhere safe, can't imagine being out there in this next weekend

Miami Beach floods from anything.

seriously, this
i lived there for a year and again, a hard rain will flood parts of the beach easily

Does anyone have a good link/website that goes over what items people should have on hand for natural disasters?

I'm starting to get stuff together for this winter and future harsh seasons.

Retro

There's six lists that get recycled yearly (for example, there was a Cindy in 2005 and one earlier this year), with noteworthy names retired from the rotation (there will never be another Katrina or Sandy again).

The names were originally the phonetic alphabet (Able, Baker, Charlie, etc..), then switched to women's names in 53 and made unisex in 79.

There actually was a Hurricane Ivan in 2004, but the name was retired. There's no Ivanka on the lists, just Irma this year, then Issac, Imelda, Isaias, Ida and Ian.

Edit: Shit, ya'll are on the ball in this thread, gonna just let you do all the work from here on out. =p

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Okay. So say we do get a flood warning for Miami. How far Inland Florida do you think would be a safe place.

2MF

If you thought trying to evacuate Houston was a bad idea... how about trying to evacuate a huge portion of a state with a hurricane (maybe) about to go up the middle of it?

Nothing is certain yet, maybe the storm won't landfall in Florida... there are still many days for the forecasts to change, even small adjustments can have a huge impact 6-7 days out.

IrishNinja

i could swear i read liberty city is actually the most inland place in miami

which is amazing, cause when we start to turn into atlantis i hope that neighborhood becomes the most baller one

i could swear i read liberty city is actually the most inland place in miami

which is amazing, cause when we start to turn into atlantis i hope that neighborhood becomes the most baller one

That's completely false. Liberty city is a few miles from Biscayne bay. The Everglades is probably the most inland part of Miami.

qcf x2

Oh yikes...

I hope all of my friends/relatives in the area already stocked up on supplies. I'm pretty sure most Publixes around here are already wiped out on water.

Stay safe, FloridaGAF.

Nah, I went a few hours ago. There were people leaving with like 10 packs of water (smh) but Publix was rolling out cases non stop. The money was flowing, let me tell you.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What are the chances of it curving back around to open sea?
Getting lower now:

Computer model guidance on Irma’s future track made an important westward shift on Sunday night. Virtually all models—including our most reliable ones for hurricane track forecasts, the GFS, European, and UKMET—took Irma further west than prior model runs before an expected sharp turn to the north. This shift increases the chance that Irma will directly affect Hispaniola and especially Cuba, as discussed above. The shift also raises the odds for a U.S. landfall considerably, because Irma’s expected right turn toward the north would probably occur too late for Irma to miss the U.S. East Coast entirely. A strong upper-level trough will be moving well offshore by early next week, reducing the odds that Irma would be hauled out to sea.

That upper level trough that's about to hit the US Northeast is likely moving too fast to carry Irma out to sea like it was previously thought to

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/threat-increasing-cuba-florida-intensifying-irma

Okay. So say we do get a flood warning for Miami. How far Inland Florida do you think would be a safe place.

If the hurricane approaches Miami like that and at that strength, as a 20+ year weather enthusiast, I would recommend a 100% evacuation of Miami. I'm not even joking. Its the storm surge that would be beyond belief.

Gas is already expensive in Florida right now but I’d highly recommend to FloridaGAF to gas up early this week instead of holding off.

Top Bottom