• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dra-Q said:
Learn to play the fucking game? Srly, Odin is a piece 'a cake, you just need to fill his bar with combo-attacks.
:lol :lol

Got to Chapter 11 and I hate it. Boring, aimless shit going on here. I was really enjoying the game up to now but I'm having a hard time working up the motivation to keep playing.

Amir0x

Banned
Dra-Q said:
Learn to play the fucking game? Srly, Odin is a piece 'a cake, you just need to fill his bar with combo-attacks.

yeah you know what you've been banned like eighty times and I'm tired of reading threads where you're a dick or obnoxious so I'm gonna go ahead and perm you.

So I finally finished the game the other day after taking my sweet time doing all of the missions etc. that were possible without backtracking on my way. Didn't really grind any except for when first getting to Chapter 11. Most characters primary roles were maxed or nearly maxed... spent a lot of CP earlier in the game wasting on the secondary roles which I never used.

At this point I'm not sure how much more time I'll sink into it, I'll take a break for a while and then I suppose I'll at least get the "master the X role" trophies.

The ending... I was a bit, "huh" as it's pretty random and not explained very well. Had my wife beside me constantly asking "Are you finished the game now?" (She is super tired of me playing it...) I didn't have the heart to tell her that finishing the game doesn't mean the game is done. :lol

Overall, I thought it was an excellent addition to the franchise. It was both Final Fantasy enough and different enough to stay interesting. I wish they would darken the series a bit more and get away from the super melancholy cheesefest portions but I guess "that's not final fantasy" anymore.

Himuro said:
Need two more collectors catalogs so I can get tiara crowns from mission 7 mark to turn them into sprint shoes. But I forgot where in the hell I got the collectors catalog to begin with.

I think you can get a collector's catalog as a reward for mission 8, the teleport waystone by the base camp in Vallis Media.

Korey

eznark said:
Finally finished up chapter 9, kind of losing steam just a little bit. The story is obviously getting more interesting but actually playing through the game is a lot less appealing right now. Turning into a little bit of a slog, just because I know that the game pretty much starts at Chapter 11 and I don't think I am ready for that.

I hear 10 is pretty cool though, hopefully not insanely long.
I hear you. I'm in Chapter 11 and the game isn't getting that much better though, in my opinion. Right now I'm just skipping as many fights as I possibly can by running through/past all the enemies from cutscene to cutscene. Yesterday I fell asleep during one of the cutscenes :\ I hope to see this game through but it's getting harder to play...

PS. I really don't like Fang (her voice acting, mannerisms, etc). The scenes with her and
Vanille
are almost unbearable.

Started playing last week and I'm currently in chap. 9. After 20hrs. of playing I finally got to form my own team!:lol :lol :lol

One of the things I really love about the game is the battle system, I'm still experimenting as to what party to make. Sometimes certain enemies are really annoying to fight and it doesn't help that you get to fight 2-3 of them at the same time in one battle. =(

Zoe

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Got to Chapter 11 and I hate it. Boring, aimless shit going on here. I was really enjoying the game up to now but I'm having a hard time working up the motivation to keep playing.

Just go straight to the plot then. You don't have to do the extra missions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My 10c after playing for ~50hrs:
(currently @ CH 12 after spending a decent chunk of time grinding in CH 11).

**No significant spoilers, just a mention of a particular Eidolon battle**

The battle system is as good as people have said. Its fast, tactical, and by and large very fun.
There are a few issues I feel holds it back from being the best in the series though.

The big problem I feel is that battle rating is always based on kill speed, which I think kind of undercuts the need for strategy as you always end up favouring characters that are better at damage dealing over those that have higher survivability. For example I always end up picking Fang over Snow as while both are excellent Sentinels, Fang's higher DoT seems to invariably trump Snow's higher HP and broader range of defensive skills.

The lack of formation control (i.e. positioning of party members relative to mobs) is an understandable omission, but its still disappointing as its something that I think would again make for better tactical battling.

The overall scenario is decent, typical Kazushige Nojima high concept stuff, but the way its expressed in-game is I think pretty terrible. Without the copious datalog entries to clarify story and background points I would have been baffled by half of the cut-scenes events.

Dramatically its a mess. Despite some decent voice acting in spots (Vanille is notably and consistently awful though), it just seems to me that its a case of Square bullishly folding in the usual roster of FF franchise cyphers and expecting it to work as a dramatic story.

The fundamental flaw seems to me that while the basic plot and scenario is relentlessly dark and nihilistic, the dialogue, music, and characterization conspires to undercut this tonally at every turn! Its like Schindler's list recast with boy band members and mouseketeers in order to maker it more upbeat and kid-friendly!

On the subject of music, Hamauzu's score is on the whole extremely good and highly listenable on its own terms, but the way its used in the game seems almost random, especially in sequences that should have real emotional resonance.

Its just baffling to me. Looking back to FF7, back then they had the sense for the fight with Jenova following Aeris demise to not use the normal upbeat battle music but with something more somber and fitting to the moment. There's a HUGE reveal in XIII prior to the Hecatoncheir Eidolon battle for example, but then its just a-nother summon battle... it actually takes away from the moment by creating a moderate spike in difficulty that for most players is going to result in them skipping this crucial cut-scene in order to get back and retry the battle asap.

What's especially disappointing is that from a technical and artistic perspective FFXIII is a wonderful achievement. Its a gorgeous looking game that clearly has had an immense amount of work put into it. Personally I don't have an issue with the overall linearity and the lack of traditional towns to explore when every part of the game looks as good as this does.

tl;dr

FFXIII thus far is an astonishingly badly "directed" game.

Pacing, tone, and characterization are all way off, yet the game remains fun and worthwhile due to the sheer quality of the presentation, sky-high production values and most of all the highly engaging battle system.

robot

Zoe said:
Just go straight to the plot then. You don't have to do the extra missions.

I was having the same problem with the game opening up like that. I was spending soo much time running around trying to find those glyphs, and it really started to lose steam. Jumped right back into the story and it's awesome again. Once you get used to the pacing and linearity of the game it's really hard to enjoy the scale of Gran Pulse.

From what I've read it's best to do those side missions after story mode anyways.

Thrakier

ScrabbleBanshee said:
So I finally finished the game the other day after taking my sweet time doing all of the missions etc. that were possible without backtracking on my way. Didn't really grind any except for when first getting to Chapter 11. Most characters primary roles were maxed or nearly maxed... spent a lot of CP earlier in the game wasting on the secondary roles which I never used.

At this point I'm not sure how much more time I'll sink into it, I'll take a break for a while and then I suppose I'll at least get the "master the X role" trophies.

The ending... I was a bit, "huh" as it's pretty random and not explained very well. Had my wife beside me constantly asking "Are you finished the game now?" (She is super tired of me playing it...) I didn't have the heart to tell her that finishing the game doesn't mean the game is done. :lol

Overall, I thought it was an excellent addition to the franchise. It was both Final Fantasy enough and different enough to stay interesting. I wish they would darken the series a bit more and get away from the super melancholy cheesefest portions but I guess "that's not final fantasy" anymore.

Hm. I would say FFVII was pretty dark at times and not too cheesy...at least not in the typical J-RPG way. I'd also love something like Parasite Eve oder Shin Megami Nocturne style. I loved SMN.

ACE 1991

About 5 1/2 hours in, at the part where
Lightning and Hope split up with Sazh and Vanille, deciding to go and attack Eden
and the game is finally getting awesome. It took damn well long enough to get going, but atm I'm loving it :D

Threi

notag
Blablurn said:
need some help for the fight against
Odin
:( i can't attack him because he's to strong. when i concentrate myself on healing the time ends before he surrenders.
Yeah I found him hard too, apparently you have to outright attack him head on instead of healing hope like it says you should do :/

I beat him using the latter strategy out of sheer luck that Lightning wasn't dumb enough to stand right beside hope while he was getting sliced to pieces :lol

RadioHeadAche said:
I'm still finding it incredibly difficult to sit down and play this game. I finally got to the tutorial for the Paradigm Shifts and Crystarium or whatever it's called system. I'm starting to doubt my opinion will change anytime soon. So far, this is a pretty underwhelming Final Fantasy for me.

Same here. The combat is okay, but Jesus I don't know if I can play JRPG's anymore. The writing so far has been atrocious.

Husker86

So, upgraded weapons cause the timers of battles to go down, I understand that, but is this reduced time reflected on the target time screen? Or, what else is factored into battle ratings? I very consistently beat battle timers though it will still give me 4 (or sometimes even 3) stars.

Anyway, I do have a slightly upgraded Gladius, just wondering if the time reduction is reflected on the screen, which I assume it is. Sorry if this has been answered, I've been keepin' up on the thread but haven't seen it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Epix said:
I have Lightning's Blazing Saber maxed out but I don't know how to transform it. Do I need a specific catalyst?
You need a Perovskite.

Husker86 said:
So, upgraded weapons cause the timers of battles to go down, I understand that, but is this reduced time reflected on the target time screen? Or, what else is factored into battle ratings? I very consistently beat battle timers though it will still give me 4 (or sometimes even 3) stars.

Anyway, I do have a slightly upgraded Gladius, just wondering if the time reduction is reflected on the screen, which I assume it is. Sorry if this has been answered, I've been keepin' up on the thread but haven't seen it.

It seems you have to come within some sort of 'invisible' range of time to get the stars based on the target time. FOr example, I had several cases where the target time was like 5 minutes but I finished in 7 minutes and still got some stores. However, I really cant remember an instance where I was below the target time and didnt get 5 stars

rataven

ACE 1991 said:
About 5 1/2 hours in, at the part where
Lightning and Hope split up with Sazh and Vanille, deciding to go and attack Eden
and the game is finally getting awesome. It took damn well long enough to get going, but atm I'm loving it :D
This is the same time the game changed for me too. And if someone had told me six months ago that Hope would end up one of my favorite characters so far, I would have laughed. But him and Lightning make a good team and their story is interesting. Verdict's still out on Snow. So far, I enjoy the game more when he's not around.

Thrakier said:
For good writing? Or for more suffering?

I really think some Tales games have decent, interesting stories. The direction is sometimes good. Vesperia's first half and Abyss are some of the better--definitely better than FFXIII in that regard. Honestly, though, if you want fantastic writing and storytelling in a JRPG, you go read Lost Odyssey's dreams.

But back on-topic: who do you folks think is the hardest in the game? I'm thinking the big turtle, but some people are telling me otherwise.

Yoshichan

burgerdog said:
Time to finish hunt 57-64 :D Every other hunt besides those have been 5 star'ed so I'm hoping 57-64 aren't disappointing.
64 is a piece of cake. 63 was the most difficult one
until I equipped 4 magic bracelets with each character

Husker86

Dedication Through Light said:
It seems you have to come within some sort of 'invisible' range of time to get the stars based on the target time. FOr example, I had several cases where the target time was like 5 minutes but I finished in 7 minutes and still got some stores. However, I really cant remember an instance where I was below the target time and didnt get 5 stars

Really? This is worrying me then heh. For instance, I'm looking at a battle result screen now of a big Ooze:

Target Time: 1:18
Battle Duration: 1:06

3 Stars wtf :(

BeeDog

Since Yoshichan's answer regarding the Chapter 10 boss didn't help me that much :D (no offense), could someone give a more thorough explanation on how to set up my paradigms/characters to fight him? Right now, I'm using Lightning, Fang and Hope; is any other particular combination much more effective during that fight? Thanks in advance.

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Since Yoshichan's answer regarding the Chapter 10 boss didn't help me that much :D (no offense), could someone give a more thorough explanation on how to set up my paradigms/characters to fight him? Right now, I'm using Lightning, Fang and Hope; is any other particular combination much more effective during that fight? Thanks in advance.
Shit man sorry, still a bit drunk. Is it *boss spoiler*
Raines?

Zen

Banned
BeeDog said:

He's a fairly easy boss, just make sure you're debuffing him when he guards, build up his stagger percentage with Ravagers, or use a medic to heal while he's inert if you're hurting. After he's staggered use 2 commandos to bring the pain, occasionally switching out to a more Defensive/Regen oriented paradigm when you need to heal (or even Sentinel for directing his damage output fora bit). Get those buffs of his off, and apply your own debuffs.

Zen

Banned
BeeDog said:
Yep, was referring to him. :) Thanks Zen, will try that.

I used Lightning, Snow, Vanille, just for reference. They were all around level 3 for their three starting roles, maybe 1 level 2 each.
Haven't invested anything in any other roles yet).

Also, hopefully you have Renew? 2 TP cost but a great group heal.

Good luck :)

Himuro said:
That's the thing that surprises me though: A Tales game has better writing and direction than a Final Fantasy game. What the hell happened? :lol

This is the company that was scared of not having enough girly-men in their last game.:lol

Yoshichan

BeeDog said:
Yep, was referring to him. :) Thanks Zen, will try that.
All right! Called a friend and asked him what he did since he just did it. He hadn't been grinding anything to that point so...

Light, Fang, Van

Go in with both shrouds.

Com/Com/Rav = This will be your main damage paradigm. As soon as he's staggered, switch to this.
Rav/Com/Rav = This will be your main chain builder until he's staggered.
Med/Sab/Sab = You will heal your party while both Fang and Van debuffs the shit out of him. That includes Slow, Imperil, Deshell and Deprotect.
Med/Sen/Med = You should do this when you need heals, Fang will quickly provoke him and you and Van will cover up the healing

As soon as he goes into armor stance, heal up and prepare the Med/Sab/Sab combo so that you can quickly take his buffs away and start debuffing him.

Sanic

I just wanted to pop in and say that I just purchased this on PS3, and I don't think i've ever seen cleaner CG video in any game prior. It's amazing. Still a little jarring for me when it switches from CG to ingame, but as a vocal CG hater, i'm impressed.

Garjon

Blablurn said:
need some help for the fight against
Odin
:( i can't attack him because he's to strong. when i concentrate myself on healing the time ends before he surrenders.
Use double ravager for when he's using his shield (since it's not damage that fills his meter) and rav/med during his attack. The biggest problem is Hope not healing fast enough. Aegisol and Fortisol also help; in fact, I'd recommend you save these for the Eidolon battles - some of them can be very hard.

Also, after 4 hours solid grinding, I finally beat
Vanille's eidolon
. The bit after that has been the best part of the game so far :)

HappyDad

Neo Member
How do I put the free outfit using the redeem code? I entered the code and downloaded it. The wear button wasn't selectable. So, I went to Customize Avatar, but the outfit is no where to be found...

Magnus

Let me just say, save all your deceptisols for Chapter 13. I mean, I only ended up using two, but had I known when the end was coming,I'd have used all 6 that I'd acquired throughout the game. Those last few trash mob packs are annoying as shit.

I wish I had used my other aerosols more often in game though. I burned one Fortisol on a trash pack that was annoying the shit out of me to get some early haste out of the way, and that's it.

I also never grinded, save half an hour on the behemoth kings in ch 11, and 10 missions in Gran Pulse. Finished the game with two roles per character at Level 4 (with only some nodes not picked up on the way) and a third role at Level 3, and didn't have excessive trouble anywhere really, save the final boss' ridiculous cheap instant game over spell. Would have trounced it on the first try but for that bullshit.

Interested to hear your finishing stats for comparisons.

Kinan

Reached Gran Pulse finally, so refreshing to leave those corridors at last. :p

I'm getting screwed by King Behemoths though, I can kill first form, but they wear me down when transformed. Is that normal at this stage or I just not good enough?

Did first three missions already, were pretty easy so far, probably will do some more before moving on.

Also, whats with those yellow jump-rings that do not work yet? Do I need some accessory to make them active?

Husker86 said:
Really? This is worrying me then heh. For instance, I'm looking at a battle result screen now of a big Ooze:

Target Time: 1:18
Battle Duration: 1:06

3 Stars wtf :(

Wow I guess you would need to do preemtive strikes on them, I wonder what the 5 star for that would be, somewhere under a minute then? How many stars if you get over the target time?

Neil

Kinan said:
I'm getting screwed by King Behemoths though, I can kill first form, but they wear me down when transformed. Is that normal at this stage or I just not good enough?

Also, whats with those yellow jump-rings that do not work yet? Do I need some accessory to make them active?

Yellow jump rings are chocobo only.
And yes, King Behemoth's are really hard at that point. Should go down if you get a pre-emptive strike on them though :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kinan said:
I'm getting screwed by King Behemoths though, I can kill first form, but they wear me down when transformed. Is that normal at this stage or I just not good enough

If you can whittle them down and get them staggered when they're close to half health, you can bypass the second form with air juggles. I ran right into the foggy area and was able to take two on at once right when I entered chapter 11, but only if I never let them transform.

lupin23rd

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow I guess you would need to do preemtive strikes on them, I wonder what the 5 star for that would be, somewhere under a minute then? How many stars if you get over the target time?

I didn't really test this theory out too much but it seemed like +/- 10% of the target time gave you 3 stars, and then I assumed it scaled after that (maybe 20% within is 4 start, and then after that is 5 stars?).

burgerdog

Yoshichan said:
64 is a piece of cake. 63 was the most difficult one
until I equipped 4 magic bracelets with each character
I just did 63 and it was a regular adamantortoise so it's basically a free 5 star mark and genji glove. How come it gave you trouble?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Beat the game,
final boss was average (he had less forms than I expected), buffing and debuffing made him go down easily
. I'm glad I left the marks for post-game (did around 7 of them and proceeded). Crystarium expanded, back to Gran Pulse fun.

Yoshichan

burgerdog said:
I just did 63 and it was a regular adamantortoise so it's basically a free 5 star mark and genji glove. How come it gave you trouble?
FFFFF, wrong mission then :lol
Which one was the two magical dudes that multi casts spells on you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom