• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Played it ravenously until the DSL hit. Such a cool and understated little system. Initial price killed it for many, though. Bad move, Nintendo.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I picked up 3 for $50 Aussie Dollars, thats about $39 bucks. FTW!

-Rogue5-

I wish it came out before the DS instead of the SP. Seriously, the screen is glorious even though it's only 2" and the famicom version is really... great!

Yeah I love it, but I haven't used it since I got the DS Lite.

Wario64 said:
Aren't you embarrassed to be playing handhelds in public?

Yeah, I'd hate it if complete strangers knew I liked to play video games. Only my friends can know that. Because everyone knows that people who play video games are bad people.

renvi

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
I wish it came out before the DS instead of the SP. Seriously, the screen is glorious even though it's only 2" and the famicom version is really... great!

Yeah I love it, but I haven't used it since I got the DS Lite.

micro is totally awesome, however the launch price was ridiculous

and what is the deal with releasing the famicom version in the US, why not make a NES version... I have NO nostalgia when looking at a famicom sorry

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
blame space said:
Did Nintendo ever release any different faceplates than the initial six?

Famicom plate hit the US. One of them, anyway. I think I have all of the official faceplates, including that one.

I think the SP is portable enough for me to not care.

However, he Micro was a useful nifty little gadget until the SP got the screen upgrade.

gwiz210

My personal favorite Gameboy Micro memory was a bit after the GBM launch. It was when my friend and I were the team managers for our school's football team. He brought his micro and played it during the post-game-yell-at-the-team-because-they-lost talk. At one point the coach yelled so loud that it brought everyone to silence and the only sound that hummed through the room was the battle theme in Pokémon Emerald :lol Everyone turned around and looked at him. "Oh Sorry" :p *turns down volume*

Mike G.E.D. said:
Still my favorite handheld system-- the damn sexiest, too.

It sure is nice looking...

I keep going back and forth in my head about which one (not including the Famicom one) looks better. I went with the silver body/black faceplate, but I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice.

Yes yes and yes.

GBM is sooo hot. Well not hot, but definately underrated system. I have one, actually its my only portable, with a 30 game library of mine. I love the platform, the hardware everything. I feel as though this is the highest point in portable gaming, and everyone has moved on. I still don't understand why people are buying GBA sp for. Ok it can connect to GC but thats it. My GBM Famicom Edition goes everywhere with me too. Actually thats a lie. I never play it in public. The only time I use it outside of the house is train journey's, few car journeys, but I get car sick. Never take the coach. Haven't hopped on to a bus in a while, otherwise too short of a journey, unless its 20min bus ride. 2 plane journeys (only had 1 holiday since I've had the damn thing), take it to a cousins for multiplayer action.

I guess I haven't had the chance to play it, whenever I am travelling I am usually driving, so I can't. When I go back to London for the Summer, I can definately see myself travelling by underground a lot more and using my GBM. Last summer I played it everyday, almost 3-4 times a day.

Most common time to play GBM for me is while taking a dump. Sorry to drop that on anyone who finds that vulgar, but if people can read, then why not game.

BAck to GBM appreciation, it is so well made too. Although I probably should get a screen protector, mine seems to have got a few, eventhough I use the Hori case from Japan, which I'd like to say is very good case.

mikeGFG

Banned
blame space said:
It sure is nice looking...

I keep going back and forth in my head about which one (not including the Famicom one) looks better. I went with the silver body/black faceplate, but I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice.

Try ordering a matching silver faceplate, because the two-tone scheme is downright nasty. I have a matching faceplate for my black Micro and it looks sexy as hell.

ShinNL

It's the only game boy I play in public more often than once really. I bought two versions, both pretty unique:

- Green Micro + camouflage faceplate
- Blue Micro + silver faceplate

(I did some trading)

I upgraded from pretty much every version, the SP was almost right but still quite big if you have to carry it around (please for the sake of dressing normally, don't say it goes easily into your huge baggy pants).

Nowadays if I feel like gaming on the road (the only imaginative situation where I'll play it) it's either:

- Nothing
- Micro
- DS lite (if I carry a bag)

Well... if I wasn't stuck in Pokémon Emerald I would still carry a Micro around :p

And since my new phone replaced my Micro's function as an MP3 player (play-yan), I don't use it as often as I did :(

But still... as an (ex)owner of a modded white GBA (plays on TV with add-on), a black SP (tried skinning), and now the Micro, I like the Micro more by far. Underratedton (and why aren't people buying them at this $50 price??? Not even the hardcore crowd. I really don't get that)

Fusebox

Banned
I love these GBM appreciation threads coz GBM seriously is the shizzle of the handheld world. Here's mine:

gbarev0il.jpg

I've always said, the best handheld in the world is the one you have when you need to play games and a GBM + a flash cart is THE ultimate in portable gaming for me. I'll even slip it into my pocket for a level or two of Astroboy if Im just ducking out to grab a coffee. Just look at the size comparison:

gba9gi.jpg

I also have a DS and PSP, they're nice for planes and long trips etc but if I'm just tripping around the city it's GBM all the way baby. The screen is just awesome, GBA games looks far better on my GBM than they do on my DSL.

Honestly, my GBM plus any of these is just my portable gaming nirvana.

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2 - Black Hole Rising
Astroboy - Omega Factor
Broken Sword - The Shadow of the Templars
Car Battler Joe
Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow
CT Special Forces
Drill Dozer
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fight One
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones
Fire Pro Wrestling 2
Golden Sun
Golden Sun 2
Gunstar Super Heros
Harvest Moon - Friends of Mineral Town
Iridion II
Konami Collectors Series - Arcade Advanced
Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga
Mario Golf Advance Tour
Mario Tennis Advance Power Tour
Max Payne
Medal Of Honor - Infiltrator
Metal Slug Advanced
Metroid Fusion
Ninja Five-0
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Sapphire
Racing Gears Advance
Riviera - The Promised Land
Sonic Advance
Super Mario 4
Wario Ware Inc
Zone of the Enders - The Fist of Mars

VOOK said:
I picked up 3 for $50 Aussie Dollars, thats about $39 bucks. FTW!

Thats $50 each right, same as what I paid? Or did you really manage to score some GBMs for $16.50 each??

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Fusebox said:
Thats $50 each right, same as what I paid? Or did you really manage to score some GBMs for $16.50 each??

Na man $50 each :)

Here in the UK, I have never seen a GBM in use. Most shops now sell them for £40. Which is half price. Now compare that to $ its just under $80. But its still very good price wise.

ant1532

Banned
I'm going to pick one up soon. Is there any difference in the Famicom system from just buying the famicom faceplate on Nintendo.com? (like is the body different?)

Sallokin

Picked mine up at launch. I pretty much only carry it around for quick leveling sessions on the portable Final Fantasies. It's a great little system though. I wish there were more faceplates for it.

Wal-Mart had em for $39 over the holidays. At that price everyone should own one.

RaidenZR

Fusebox said:
I love these GBM appreciation threads coz GBM seriously is the shizzle of the handheld world. Here's mine:

gbarev0il.jpg

Where'd you get the plain red one with the red faceplate?! Me wants!

jgkspsx

I love my Micro. It's the most enjoyable set of controls of any system I own (well, the shoulder buttons aren't great), the screen is great, and the aluminum body feels great to hold. I bought mine at $100, and I don't regret it.

Timo

i love mine, but i took off the faceplate to get all the dust off and if i blew on it, that didn't do it, so i wiped down the inside, and i got scratches on the reverse side of the faceplate! what shit! if i could find something to clean it with without that happening i would be GOLD.

Lee N

Membre
I love my gb micro.. If i'm just gonna take one system with me when I leave the house, it's often my micro. Because it's just so much more portable than the DS.

Fusebox

Banned
RaidenZR said:
Where'd you get the plain red one with the red faceplate?! Me wants!

I've only seen two kinds for sale in Australia, the fully red one I got, and a fully silver one (which I'm still kicking myself for not buying when I had the chance).

MoxManiac

Wario64 said:
Aren't you embarrassed to be playing handhelds in public?

Yeah. I've found masturbation to be a more satisfying pasttime when trying to pass the time in public places.

$50 is still too much for me to bite. It'll probably dissapear before it hits the price I want ($20-30)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got the Final Fantasy IV + Gameboy Micro combo pack for super cheap earlier this year. I really love the design of the thing and the d-pad rocks, but the small screen hurt my eyes after playing for more than a few minutes. I have really good eye sight as well.

I really wish they would have released a "Gameboy Mini" or something with a screen as big as the DS Lite's top screen.

RaidenZR

Fusebox said:
I've only seen two kinds for sale in Australia, the fully red one I got, and a fully silver one (which I'm still kicking myself for not buying when I had the chance).

Are you able to order red faceplates any where? Maybe replacements through Nintendo?

SumGamer

I've got mine metallic blue the body and the face plate. Very nice.
I got it for about the same price in NZ early this year. You should have seen how unpoppular this GBM is in NZ. So I swoop 4 of them and give it to my friends as a present :lol

The console is very nice the only complain I have is the screen is a bit too small :p but it is Micro after all.

heres an old pic of mine:

DSCN6169.JPG

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man Zero 4
just recently finished Final Fantasy V Advance.

will probably start on Final Fantasy IV (and VI) Advance soon.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Where's a good place to get these? Amazon has them for $69... is that the best price I'm going to see?

muckhole

I bought a bunch of Famicom edition Micro's when they went on sale here in Canada. I couldn't resist busting one open to play with, and my God, the screen on them is just amazing. I never believed I would be able to read RPG text on that thing until I tried it.

muckhole

FlyinJ said:
Where's a good place to get these? Amazon has them for $69... is that the best price I'm going to see?

I still have one unopened Famicom edition that I hung on to. If you want it, it's yours $50 plus shipping.

I picked up the $50 black and silver at Walmart back in December. Very neat little system. Gave it to my nephew, he is 5 and enjoys the hell out of excitebike:D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This system perfects GBA games.

I remember posting this statement earlier, and somebody said "that doesn't make sense. The screen is smaller". Obviously they hadn't ever used one. The tiny pixels make the low resolution graphics look perfect for what they are.

Flynn

I use my Micro tons.

I take both my DS and Micro on trips and play GBA games exclusively on it.

I also play Dr. Sudoku on it nearly every night before I go to bed. The no-brainer puzzles put me to sleep. Seriously.

Fusebox

Banned
muckhole said:
I I couldn't resist busting one open to play with, and my God, the screen on them is just amazing. I never believed I would be able to read RPG test on that thing until I tried it.

The color reproduction is excellent too. GBA carts look a lot poorer in my DSL, the colors are way too garish and the GBM also gives the illusion of being slightly higher res too because of its small screen - if only it had an expansion port big enough for me to show it how I really feel about it.

muckhole said:
I still have one unopened Famicom edition that I hung on to. If you want it, it's yours $50 plus shipping.

Damn, the only Fami edition I've seen in Sydney is in one of those spastically-overpriced games import stores that wants AUS$250 for it. :(

Top Bottom