• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Yep, this is the current projected track and it's terrifying.

Basically all of South Florida will get hit. Doesn't matter if you're in Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach.

Fuck, that track will breach the hoover dyke around Okeechobee. People south of the lake should leave pd-fuckin-q

Edit, it also means emergency draw down of the lake, which will exacerbate flooding along the eastern canal and the Caloosahatchee River. RIP Ft. Myers

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
giphy.webp

If only....

Yes, I am well aware that its heading right into its path!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
i could swear i read liberty city is actually the most inland place in miami

which is amazing, cause when we start to turn into atlantis i hope that neighborhood becomes the most baller one
No liberty city is the one in New York. Vice city is the one in Florida

Miami Beach floods from anything.

No, seriously everyone. Parts of Miami Beach now flood from the fucking tide coming in.

My mom lives in Brickell, which is not Miami Beach but still on the water. Thank god she already said she'll be leaving to my grandmother's house in Hialeah if Irma hits.

Gas is already expensive in Florida right now but I'd highly recommend to FloridaGAF to gas up early this week instead of holding off.

Gassed up this morning, and gas was $0.40 higher than pre-Harvey. What sucks is that I'll use part of the tank for the rest of the week as I go to work. If I need or want to fill up again on Friday, I can imagine it being a nightmare.

I'm really worried about flooding from this thing. Thankfully, the only valuable things near ground level that could get destroyed in my house are my PC and game consoles. I may just pack them and take them to my dad's house to the second floor.

Yes, it seems really basic to worry about those things. But the only other major thing that could get ruined is the entire house itself. And there's no way of protecting that from flood waters or a tree through the roof.

Wow, stay safe you all along the coast. Luckily I'm in a pretty elevated part of the state (Clermont) so flooding hopefully won't be too much of a concern here. Tons of empty retention ponds around as well. It's really the wind that will be an issue.

RPGCrazied

Another one? Jesus. Give us a break please mother nature.

And this is climate change, time to wake up and smell the roses. Last winter where I live snowed 22", which is bad for my area. It never snows, and when it did back in the day is was 1" here, 2" there.

This isn't normal.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Its gonna be super shitty if there needs to be an evacuation. I am in the middle of the flu that has weakend me a bit. Hope it clears up before shit goes down.

Smidget

Are projections pointing at this to be a fast moving storm at least? Or will it stall? Want the least amount of time at high winds as possible....

Piano

Banned
I'm in Orlando for the balance of the year, and considering I live in a first floor apartment next to a stormwater retention pond, it's probably best that I evacuate later this week, yeah?

I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never needed to evacuate before. Granted, most of that time was up in the panhandle, which doesn't see as much storm activity. Still, this whole thing has got me anxious.

If I evacuate I'll be heading back to the panhandle, so here's hoping it doesn't hit both...

Soothe my anxieties, GAF.

I hope it doesn't smash through Hillsborough county area. Id have go back home to MI, If they make evacuate. My GF's parents do have a small cabin up north FL though. Stay Safe down there in Dade peeps.

Noshino

We don't get flooding really (unless you're on Miami Beach or the coast). Our main issue is storm surge and wind damage and power outages. So I wouldn't expect a significant loss of life for Florida, but expect suffering under sweltering heat as the power is gone for a month because we keep power stations above ground and uncovered.

Dude, what are you talking about, our main issue continues to be flooding. Hollywood, Hallandale, Davie, Sunrise, etc continue to have issues with flooding just from regular rains. Miami Beach and Aventura are even worse.

And given how our building codes continue to decay little by little, I wouldnt be surprised if there are a lot of losses, and not just financial ones.

Fat4all

Banned

Hurricanes are bullshit, but as long as you prepare ahead of time, gather necessary supplies, and follow emergency instructions you'll be fine.

Whether or not there's an evacuation, gather anything important (documents, computer drives, supplies) all in one place so you can grab them and go if the need. Look at resources online for the best way to protect any personal property you might be leaving behind. If you have to evacuate, try and be patient with others around you.

WaterAstro

Damn, crazy stuff.

Almost like earth is trying to convince america that climate change is a thing

Another one? Jesus. Give us a break please mother nature.

And this is climate change, time to wake up and smell the roses. Last winter where I live snowed 22", which is bad for my area. It never snows, and when it did back in the day is was 1" here, 2" there.

This isn't normal.

Well, it's ironic because Rick Scott banned the term "Climate Change" from the state government, so it's real telling what kind of person he is.

Kusagari

Dude, what are you talking about, our main issue continues to be flooding. Hollywood, Hallandale, Davie, Sunrise, etc continue to have issues with flooding just from regular rains. Miami Beach and Aventura are even worse.

And given how our building codes continue to decay little by little, I wouldnt be surprised if there are a lot of losses, and not just financial ones.

Back when it was heavily raining 2-3 months ago, I couldn't even get to where I work in Coral Springs because it was flooded so bad.

theofficefan99

Just one of those things. People out west deal with wildfires and quakes, the Midwest has tornadoes, northern areas have blizzards, we have hurricanes/flooding. Nearly everyone has something to worry about.

Unfortunately. I want to live somewhere where I don't have to worry about life-threatening natural disasters but that's a naive dream :(

And as for everyone in Florida, I wish you guys all the best... make preparations ASAP and do what you have to do to ensure survival.

I'm near Tallahassee so the storm might narrowly avoid us. Still making precautions though.

Last year a hurricane took out power from most of the entire city, but that was mostly the extent of the damage besides some fallen trees. Tallahassee tends to be fairly ok during hurricane season.

Demoskinos

You couldn't pay me enough money to live anywhere near a coastline these days. Its unfortunately only going to get worse with climate change. Hopefully this doesn't end up being as disastrous as Harvey. Stay safe Florida.

Unfortunately. I want to live somewhere where I don't have to worry about life-threatening natural disasters but that's a naive dream :(

And as for everyone in Florida, I wish you guys all the best... make preparations ASAP and do what you have to do to ensure survival.

Arizona doesn't have any, unless you count sweltering heat.

Az

I'm in NE Florida so not too concerned yet. But I'll stock up some stuff tomorrow just in case.

MrJames

All the G-IV flight data and CONUS weather balloon data will start being added to the models tonight with the 00z model runs. We'll see what kind of changes it causes if any.

Getting nervous. In Orlando until Saturday morning. Wondering if we'll have to leave Friday instead. Looks like the model has it being in South Florida Saturday morning so I think if we head north early Saturday we'll he fine?

I'm near Tallahassee so the storm might narrowly avoid us. Still making precautions though.

Last year a hurricane took out power from most of the entire city, but that was mostly the extent of the damage besides some fallen trees. Tallahassee tends to be fairly ok during hurricane season.

Yeah, I think Midtown got the worst of it, but mostly only relatively light property damage.

Noshino

The worst part is that we have Scott in power who is doing his best to destroy the safety mechanism we have in place

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ew-florida-building-codes-weakened/490364001/

Please people, vote him out

Back when it was heavily raining 2-3 months ago, I couldn't even get to where I work in Coral Springs because it was flooded so bad.

Yup, roads were flooded over here. They even shut down the Sawgrass Mall over it which is insane. This is gonna be bad.

Yeah I have no idea what he was talking about

170607_sawgrass_mall_flooded_7dronecam.jpg

It was horrible

I know it's not always easy, but I think if I lived anywhere along the coast, I'd seriously consider permanently moving inland. This really sucks.
Inland takes you to the everglades, which floods worse than the coast.

I was a kid in Miami when Andrew hit. My brother lived in a group home down in Homestead that got leveled. Thankfully he came home, and the other kids were sent to the main facility. Here's hoping this one skirts the coast.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I remember back in 2004-2005 a big one was supposed to nail Tallahassee so everybody threw hurricane parties that night it was supposed to hit. It ended up missing is for the most part and the restaurant i worked at was the only one open on Tennessee st. Even waffle House was closed. We got slammed.

Jarmel

Banned
Gas is already expensive in Florida right now but I’d highly recommend to FloridaGAF to gas up early this week instead of holding off.

Are there containers you can safely fill with gas and store? That way you can be prepared if gas stations run out?

I'm in Orlando for the balance of the year, and considering I live in a first floor apartment next to a stormwater retention pond, it's probably best that I evacuate later this week, yeah?

I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never needed to evacuate before. Granted, most of that time was up in the panhandle, which doesn't see as much storm activity. Still, this whole thing has got me anxious.

If I evacuate I'll be heading back to the panhandle, so here's hoping it doesn't hit both...

Wouldn't hurt to have an evacuation plan just in case.

Are there containers you can safely fill with gas and store? That way you can be prepared if gas stations run out?

You can find gas containers at just about any big stores like walmart, or home depot.

Top Bottom