• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Most run With 'up to' 60fps, not 60fps.

And none run at 60fps with anywhere near the scope of Destiny.

Titanfall 2 runs similar sized arenas (compared to Destiny 1 PVP anyway) with 12 models (6 pilots and 6 titans) rock solid at 60 FPS on my Pro. Plenty of particle effects.

EDIT: forgot about the AI mobs in there too.

*shrug*

jviggy43

can i start a "how many of you were disappointed but are still gonna buy Destiny 2" thread? i feel like thats relevant.
How is that at all relevant? Does still liking the game and purchasing negate people thinking that it should be more/not disappointed? Because it doesnt.

Titanfall 2 runs similar sized arenas (compared to Destiny 1 PVP anyway) with 12 models (6 pilots and 6 titans) rock solid at 60 FPS on my Pro. Plenty of particle effects too.

*shrug*

Yep, the scale and amount of shit going on in Titanfall 2's maps is a real achievement.

Bungie has never prioritized performance in their games. They see more benefit in reduced development time or added effects over performance. A bad choice, but it's been consistent.

"We have a few new strikes, and a new raid."

Yeah, I'd fucking hope so, this is a new game is it not?

The fact that there's zero new enemies is pretty lame, that was the worst part about playing through D1, was that shooting the same predictable enemies over and over again got boring pretty quick.

No new enemies? Unbelievable. Count me out. Creating assets is just too much work, right?

I was.

I was hoping for something more of a leap ahead, taking what was good about the first game (the gunplay/character designs,, etc) and then fixing what was a letdown, like linear world designs (IE going out of bounds = you die) and lack of matchmaking, lack of more rpgness (dialogue choices when talking to npc's, etc).

The reveal just felt like more of an expansion to me, like you said, no new classes, same basic enemies, etc.

The fact that they literally have ONE raid and "three" new strikes feels really really barebones to me too.

Wait....what? There are only three strikes? I thought this was supposed to be a full-blown game? Oh Bungie....

Yeah the reveal didn't really have a strong call to action to someone like me who missed the boat.

As a casual I don't know why this is Destiny '2', but maybe at E3 it'll make more sense.

PooBone

Looks like a real nice way for someone who likes Destiny 1 and still plays the new content to spend $60.

I'll be skipping it.

dottme

Seems like a reveal aimed at fans.

For someone on the outside, it's fairly easy for me to write off the game based on what was shown (or wasn't).
I think that's right. I stop playing Destiny for various reason and the main one was communication with the other players to create groups and manage strategy.
And nothing was discussed. It looks like the lfg website will continue to have some jobs.
I was expecting this as a patch in Destiny, I don't get it how it did not make it in Destiny 2.

Zakalwe

Banned
Titanfall 2 runs similar sized arenas (compared to Destiny 1 PVP anyway) with 12 models (6 pilots and 6 titans) rock solid at 60 FPS on my Pro. Plenty of particle effects.

EDIT: forgot about the AI mobs in there too.

*shrug*

Yeh, the pvp of course, I mean the entire thing.

They could have separated pvp and pve, but they may have wished for a more consistent experience. Parity or someshit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it to be 60, but D1 felt great at 30 so I'm not too concerned.

Put me down as being slightly disappointed. The game looks amazing and my wife and I will still be there day one.

I don't really mind the content they've shown. It's still early days and I expect the game will have heaps to do right off the bat - regardless of the number of planets or raids.

My disappointment is largely based on stuff like, 30 FPS and no dedicated servers. I just don't understand how given 3+ years to craft the game, they couldn't do at least one of these.
And while I appreciate the QoL changes, I expected most of them at a bare minimum.

Anyway, still pumped. The gameplay, graphics, controls, music etc will continue to be stellar - it's just a shame that it didn't evolve perhaps as far as it could have.

DevilDog

Looks like a good balance between new and familiar. It's not Destiny 1 nor an expansion, but you can't mistake it for another game. It's Destiny. If you expect something completely different then you don't know what the meaning of a sequel is.

You can mistake it for destiny 1 I feel like.

I was dissapointed with the first Destiny too
Yep.

And truly burned by ROI, which offered up one evening's worth of new PvE content, with the repetition setting in on day two.

The one time I didn't feel burned by Destiny was when I had waiting for a few expansions to come out before jumping back in. Think I'm pretty much at that point with D2 right now. Two expansions in, plus patches, clarity on microtransactions (since we don't tend to know much before release week, and the real stuff gets unleashed 60-90 days after that) and at a solid discount.

It looks like an expansion rather than a sequel. No new classes, same enemies, no dedicated servers. The list goes on. The only thing I liked is the guided games and it looks like something you can patch it in D1.

I expected a lot more from the sequel :/.

Actually quite the opposite. However I have a couple of friends who are complaining already (But they know their going to buy it! Lol )

D1 had it's problems for sure, Grind too hard, Deep story only found on grimore cards not accessible on the main game. Those were the only bad experiences IMHO on D1.

Fast forward two years later, and the very active community, and Bungie together have crafted a new experience altogether.

Thats what I love, I feel like both the Community and Bungie have helped make Destiny 2.

Isn't this was players always want? A company that listen to the player consensus and adjust the game to meet those wants and expectations?

I digress, definitely not disappointed, specific reasons why I was happy. (And please know I feel slimy and scummy saying this, because I sound like a shill... But if it's honestly how i feel i got to say it)

- I love art, Destiny has among the most amazing landscapes and environments that are treated like art... love it.
- Wanted more story, seems like they are giving it.
- Wanted to know some key character better, seems they got it covered
- Wanted a more focused competitive PvP offering, a change to 4v4 sounds good
- Wanted more solo experience and help to get into raids, also seems solved

So I'm 100% hyped. But the reality is I wont know if I like it till i play it. As I don't listen to reviews, as reviews told me I should hate D1 or D2... And ya know what, glad i tried it, I ended up loving it.

jimboton

Very disappointed. 4v4 only due to not having dedicated servers (yet again), 30 fps pvp, not nearly enough new stuff...

Drencrom

4v4 multiplayer and not hitting 60fps is laughable imo

What could they possibly be doing in 4v4 that warrants 30fps when basically every other shooter on the market has more than double or even quadruple the amount of players and hit 60fps?

My main issue with destiny is how DLC worked, not only was it super expensive but they nerfed the game for those who didn't buy it.

So I maxed out a character in vanilla destiny then it hit me... I'm speed running through the same shit over and over for little gain so i stopped playing it, fast forward half a year and I decided to load it up only to find half the game was no longer accessible anymore, any they bumped up enemy levels in some modes so my lvl20 character was ultra weak.

I uninstalled it and never returned, the base game I paid for was useless

Ganhyun

My main issue with destiny is how DLC worked, not only was it super expensive but they needed the game for those who didn't buy it.

So I maxed out a character in vanilla destiny then it hit me... I'm speed running through the same shit over and over for little gain so i stopped playing it, fast forward half a year and I decided to load it up only to find half the game was no longer accessible anymore, any they bumped up enemy levels in some modes so my lvl20 character was ultra weak.

I uninstalled it and never returned, the base game I paid for was useless

That's the mmo side of it. Had to keep buying the content and playing to be able to do all those same things still.

psyfi

Banned
My main issue with destiny is how DLC worked, not only was it super expensive but they needed the game for those who didn't buy it.
Yeah, I think D2 looks great so far, but I'm worried they're going to repeat the same DLC model. I stopped buying Battlefield games day one at full price because of how they handle DLC, and I'll do the same with Destiny if they keep it up.

That's the mmo side of it. Had to keep buying the content and playing to be able to do all those same things still.

how much did the game end up costing people though?
i'm used to DLC adding to the base game, not nerfing it... there are certain modes which were once accessible but no longer are unless you have the DLC, I paid for that stuff.

Applebite

I didn't really have any expectations, so not really. I played a chunk of the first one on PS4 and found it to be mindless fun, but all my friends are on PC so I never really got into it. This, to me, seems like an improved version that I can play with my friends, so that sounds like a good time. I can see why people would be disappointed if they wanted more drastic changes, though.

Fat4all

Banned
I bought the first game at launch, played it for roughly a month and then traded it in. When the first big expansion things came out, I tried jumping back in, but only lasted a little longer than when I first got the game.

The D2 reveal hasn't shown me anything that would convince me to give it another try, so I suppose that's that for me and Destiny in general.

Right, I forgot that Modern Warfare 3 was a Golf game.

I'd love a MW golf game

My initial reception when watching the gameplay footage didn't wow me. Mostly from a visual standpoint because it looks exactly like D1. Side by side I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

All the things they have announced, in regards to solo players, made me happy. However I'm holding out a small reserve that there's more under the hood than what is currently known.

Destiny isn't even my favorite game and it's not like D1 left any meaningful impression on me, but I want to see more so I'm going to have to disagree. Maybe there is more we haven't seen and from a visual aspect, it seems all the same. It's a new start so what's the worst it could be?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Disappointed. Will get it on special where they hopefully bundle all DLC together shit type of deals in the far flung future. Maybe.

I was struck by how similar it looked and felt to the first game, to it's detriment, When I saw that same spaceship loading screens, and similar (almost unchanged) inventory screens in the strike demo.

Kalentan

Honestly based on reading threads like this... People weren't expecting more Destiny.

They were expecting an entirely new IP.

CrazyHal

Well, i'm not dissapointed by what i have seen so far.

I liked the main portion of Destiny despite the awful writting and forgettable story. However, when i found out that the post game consisted of doing the same missions and fighting the same bosses over and over again for the chance of maybe get better equipment, i was out.

If Destiny 2 is same way, i'll be pretty dissapointed.

Cyanity

Banned
The game simply being on PC is probably gonna be enough for a lot of people. I know I've been hoping to get Destiny on PC since the first one came out, at least. That gameplay is SOLID.

Well, i'm not dissapointed by what i have seen so far.

I liked the main portion of Destiny despite the awful writting and forgettable story. However, when i found out that the post game consisted of doing the same missions and fighting the same bosses over and over again for the chance of maybe get better equipment, i was out.

If Destiny 2 is same way, i'll be pretty dissapointed.

That's another issue I have with destiny and I'm still angry at myself for leaving it so long before leaving... You put soo many hours in for little reward, and then the DLC comes along and you are weak again, all the time and effort you put in is wasted.
Seriously, raising level caps is a scam, the enemy is more spongy than before so you need to grind the same shit over and over to hit that new max.

I know lots of people like this so I'm not saying its bad, it ain't for me however.

ethomaz

Banned
Amazing reveal imo.

Since my thread was locked for no reason, yes I'm disappointed. I just watched the strike video. It looks exactly like Destiny 1. What is Bungie doing?
Destiny is game that defined a generation... everybody wants more of it.

Destiny 2 looks amazing.

Bungie nailed it.

Drencrom

Honestly based on reading threads like this... People weren't expecting more Destiny.

Is that really surprising when lots of people didn't like vanilla Destiny in the first place, especially when Bungie downright lied to us before release?

They even delayed the the sequel by a year, people were expecting more than the same enemies, same classes, same old repetitive mission design and so on.

ethomaz

Banned
Is that really surprising when lots of people didn't like vanilla Destiny in the first place, especially when Bungie downright lied to us before release?

They even delayed the the sequel by a year, people were expecting more than the same enemies, same classes, same old repetitive mission design and so on.
People expected more Destiny.

Toni

People expected more Destiny.

I don't think that is the case at all.

There were several reports from Bungie themselves stating they were revamping a lot of stuff. Based on that, people were expecting a huge change in basically everything.

While The Taken King took it, content wise, to where it needed to be, people just wanted something else after Destiny 1 soured a lot of poeple. Nobody in this forum was expecting "more Destiny" after how it initially shipped. Come on lol.

I'll still play it day zero butttttttt I have to admit I Am disappointed in the lack of new subclasses. I wanted 3 totally new subclasses and supers. Basically like the difference in classes between each borderlands. I love everything else.

Edit: well not the 4v4 pvp. I like 6v6 and I'd do 9v9 if they let us. I love ground war 🤷🏿*♂️

jviggy43

From bungie themselves

It allows us to introduce the major advancements and improvements that all of us expect from a sequel, ensuring it will be the best game we can create, unencumbered by the past.

Even they themselves were touting this would be a major advancement and not just a refined experience. No one thought this would be "just" more destiny.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think that is the case at all.

There were several reports from Bungie themselves stating they was revamping a lot of stuff. Based on that, people were expecting a huge change in basically everything.

Nobody in this forum was expecting "more Destiny". Come on lol.
Change something that reach a population bigger than CoD??? I think these expectation are crazy.

Destiny 2 needs to be Destiny in first place.

Oresama

This argument is so tired...

New classes, new enemy types, more UI redesigns, etc... How would any of these changes or additions be considered a new IP?

Crucible could've changed the super meter into a tiered resource guage that could be spent on cool assignable buffs, or when fully filled, just use for super like we have for the past 3+ years.

Top Bottom