• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Blu(e)

Looks like they recently added some bundles to steam.

Nurse Love Addiction bundle comes with its soundtrack for free now if you pick up this bundle.

And there's a Clannad bundle that includes Clannad, Clannad Side Stories, and Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~.

Pretty good bundles if you wanted to grab everything. They're also all on sale right now.

MrCinos

I read Fata Morgana, Higurashi and Little Busters.

Only Little Busters scratched that itch, but nowhere near the same level as Majikoi. Not to mention the storyline itself... I wasn't a big fan of serious parts to say the least.

Well, here's hoping there will be more of Majikoi after A1-5 and one day we get the whole series officially in English.

Root Double feels like it tried to capture R11's complexity but ended up being more of a sci-fi drama (that I didn't connect with all that much), while for I/O let's just say that you won't need an English patch for it since you'd probably understand as much in Japanese as you understand in English after a point.

i felt the complete opposite here, with Root Double Nakazawa tried to focus a lot more on the characteres and their backstory, whereas in R11 they had more a secondary role.
I/O was the VN that really tried to capture R11 in its complexity, with its even more insane and mindfucked space time tale. Yeah at points its confusing and all, but it's one of the most fascinanting VNs out there.

It really shows that with a more constrained Nakazawa, we will get something like Root Double, and when you let him go berserk something like I/O :D
If he can get the balance right for his next VN then i'm sure something special is awaiting us!

Knurek

So, Sekai Project is running a Kickstarter for Tokeijikake no Ley Line -Tasogaredoki no Kyoukaisen- / A Clockwork Ley-Line: The Borderline of Dusk, a localization that had been announced previously. On one hand it's a game I really want, but on the other it's Sekai Project, and I don't want to encourage them running more Kickstarters.

I have no qualms about SP or any other publisher using KS, provided the campaign is run competently.
Bring it on, $60 for 3 all-ages Steam VNs sounds good.

Aku-Audi

Just to avoid alternative facts on Ley-line, I'll copy-paste this part

The game is fully funded via internal funding, we're offering the chance for people to pledge for limited edition physical copies that we normally would not be able to create.

The game is coming out regardless. The campaign is just for physicals and limited merch because we get bombarded about them the minute we don't have it and the game is quite popular and good. Shitz expensive to print. Also, I didn't want to add any console stuff into the mix because I would like to get the ones in QA right now out and on the market first. It's quite possible we'll revisit it later as our workload evens out. But for now, nothing is decided on that front.

I don't really mind them using KS to fund hard copies. Physical goods are expensive and risky for a small publisher and this is preferable to the Mangagamer model where only successful titles get hard copies way later, requiring you to double dip.

Though $135 is more than I'm willing to pay for a physical copy of a game that I don't even know how much I'll like yet. I'm glad to see we're getting an uncut version of the entire trilogy though.

Oh wow there's a visual novel community thread? This is awesome! Been looking to get into visual novels for a while now and am going to be starting my first (Steins;Gate) soon.

Going to add on with the comments about Clannad and ask - is it worth it if you only intend on doing one or two routes? It's on my wishlist and I really want to play it but I have a lot of other games I want to play too so I haven't really been replaying titles all that much as of late.

Oh wow there's a visual novel community thread? This is awesome! Been looking to get into visual novels for a while now and am going to be starting my first (Steins;Gate) soon.

Going to add on with the comments about Clannad and ask - is it worth it if you only intend on doing one or two routes? It's on my wishlist and I really want to play it but I have a lot of other games I want to play too so I haven't really been replaying titles all that much as of late.

Probably not. Clannad forces you to see all the side routes before you get to see the main route and as a result it's a really long VN.

So Frontwing just made a bunch of announcements on their twitch stream.

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger has a prefundia up. The Kickstarter is to fund physical goods and localize the manga, the first 2 parts of the game are releasing April 28th.
Island is 50% translated, and planned for release in 2017.
They are publishing Subahibi, coming out in 2017. More news late Spring/Summer.
Frontwing has other unannounced projects, both internal and 3rd party.

They are also planning to launch their own storefront.

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger has a prefundia up. The Kickstarter is to fund physical goods and localize the manga, the first 2 parts of the game are releasing April 28th.

Wooow, great news about ISLAND there. Also glad that there might finally be a way out for Subahibi fron localization hell.

:D

XMSHO

STEINS;GATE 0 PC English patch - Committee of Zero
Features:

Script fixes
Corrects several hundred typos, mistranslations, continuity errors and other translation flaws. These range from simple punctuation mistakes to errors great enough to impact one’s understanding of the game, such as a reference to the wrong character.

Consistency fixes
Adds an option that changes terminology (such as names, objects, or products) to be more consistent with the previous STEINS;GATE VN translation and switches name order to Japanese (e.g. “Kyoma Hououin” => “Hououin Kyouma”).

Better typography
Displays text in a nicer font and adds/corrects wordwrapping in RINE and dialogue. Outline improvement can be toggled and RINE name display can be switched between white-with-black-shadow and pure black.

Subtitles
Translates some cutscenes and optionally adds styled karaoke subtitles to openings and endings.

Translated CGs
Contains translated versions of most CGs. CGs that were already translated in the official Vita localisation were reedited instead of being upscaled from 540p to 1080p.

More translations
Also translates stickers used in RINE conversations, system/menu text and the launcher.

High quality FMV audio
For openings, endings and some other videos, plays high-quality versions instead of the included low-quality audio tracks.

Hide auto/skip buttons
Includes an option to hide auto/skip buttons even when using mouse control (keyboard / gamepad shortcuts for these will still work).

Save game compatibility
Can be installed over the Japanese version or other patches without breaking existing saved games.

I wonder if they'll release the Vita version of Island. Since there's not a Kickstarter I guess... not? Maybe they want to get Sharin out of the door then try it?

I hope they get round to it. And I hope Grisaia is still coming too.

I wonder if they'll release the Vita version of Island. Since there's not a Kickstarter I guess... not? Maybe they want to get Sharin out of the door then try it?

I hope they get round to it. And I hope Grisaia is still coming too.

They said they might do crowdfunding for Island or Subahibi, but it sounded more like it'd be an indiegogo for physical goods like they did with Corona Blossom.

Grisaia is in Sekai Project's hands. I have no idea why we haven't heard anything about it in ages.

Didn't they say forever ago that Vita versions wouldn't come until the whole trilogy is out on PC?

They said that about WEE, I don't remember hearing that about Grisaia. Or much of any news beyond vague teases. It was noticeably absent when they announced all of their other future console/vita plans.

Shizuka

They said that about WEE, I don't remember hearing that about Grisaia. Or much of any news beyond vague teases. It was noticeably absent when they announced all of their other future console/vita plans.

IIRC, it wasn't all of their future console/Vita plans. They said they have more coming this year.

http://thevitalounge.net/2015/10/12...s-vita-western-release-is-still-in-the-works/

They said in October 2015 that things were finally moving with it and they'd have news in the coming weeks, lol.

IIRC, it wasn't all of their future console/Vita plans. They said they have more coming this year.

Though as Shiz says, Fault Milestone; Narcissu and WEE were just the start of their console plans and I suspect Grisaia is in there too.

Though I expect it to be a PS4/Vita porting job at this point.

Shizuka

As many fans of A Clockwork Ley-Line know there's a console release of the series in Japan.

We're currently in the early stages of talks on bringing it over to western shores.

However we want to be as clear as we can, it is not guaranteed that we can bring this to the West.

We want to make sure our team is 100% focused on QAing our current titles in production for console before we start bringing over new titles. We hope to be able to bring you good news in the future!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ley-line-a-visual-novel-trilogy/posts/1814041

As by console, they mean Vita, since that's the only platform other than PC where the game was released in Japan.

Shizuka

Is this your supposition? Because that's not necessarily true, especially since they could end up porting the game on their own and not licensing an existing port.

The wording seems to imply that they're bringing the japanese console version instead of acquiring the rights to port the game themselves.

Blu(e)

The Shadows of Pygmalion got released on steam for $34.99.
header.jpg

Never even heard of this VN.

epmode

I really dislike the main gameplay mechanic in Root Double, GAF. The sliders are so fiddly and they needlessly obfuscate the story branches. I guess it might make more sense after I see more but I'd much prefer a standard multiple choice prompt.

I really dislike the main gameplay mechanic in Root Double, GAF. The sliders are so fiddly and they needlessly obfuscate the story branches. I guess it might make more sense after I see more but I'd much prefer a standard multiple choice prompt.

Yeah, it's overly complicated and poorly communicated and the game doesn't really benefit from it. I'd just use a guide.

Top Bottom