• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny Reveal Thread

I need to see more about the "you have your own space ship" feature. I need to know how it'll work!

51KTaFhIjOL.jpg

My guess is that the ship acts as a progression system. You start off on earth, as your player develops you get a ship that lets you go to the moon, as you complete content your ship lets you travel further and further, mars, venus, etc.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I need to see more about the "you have your own space ship" feature. I need to know how it'll work!

Well we know it's going to be flyable in some capacity... Bungie said at least once that the space flight segment in Reach was a test to see if they could do it.

7he Talon

51KTaFhIjOL.jpg

My guess is that the ship acts as a progression system. You start off on earth, as your player develops you get a ship that lets you go to the moon, as you complete content your ship lets you travel further and further, mars, venus, etc.
I was hoping it would be like the start menu in Fable 3, but a ship. A walk around environment where you and your guild can meet up, fly together.

Well we know it's going to be flyable in some capacity... Bungie said at least once that the space flight segment in Reach was a test to see if they could do it.
Yeah, we always new that was a test for there next game. I guess that would be cool. Maybe like an over-world hub were you fly to other worlds.

We need to see more! E3 needs to come sooner.

Jac

Neo Member
I can't say this has me excited, perhaps once more gets revealed, but so far all Destiny is to me is another game from the creators of Halo.

GhaleonEB

I was hoping it would be like the start menu in Fable 3, but a ship. A walk around environment where you and your guild can meet up, fly together.

Yeah, we always new that was a test for there next game. I guess that would be cool. Maybe like an over-world hub were you fly to other worlds.

We need to see more! E3 needs to come sooner.

There's also that bit in the vidoc where guys are running toward a giant blue portal, which made me wonder if there's a mix of portals and physical travel mechanisms. Perhaps the latter for travel to other planets, then portals in the hubs to get to different areas of them.

Kibbles

lol

@RuffianGames
Hey! It could be worse, we could fly you half way around the world and then say nothing. We’re doing you a favour really.

Animal

Banned
So has anybody discussed the menu screen in the ViDoc yet?

Hopper is often referred to in the industry as Microsoft's automated compliance testing.

Basically a program fires every possible button in random order for 24 hours while the game runs. If it accidentally closes the program it will relaunch it.

24 hours of hopper crashless is a pass.

GhaleonEB

Hopper is often referred to in the industry as Microsoft's automated compliance testing.

Basically a program fires every possible button in random order for 24 hours while the game runs. If it accidentally closes the program it will relaunch it.

24 hours of hopper crashless is a pass.

Interesting. Another possibility, since this is an in-game menu for game options. Bungie often refers to matchmaking playlists as "hoppers". In this context it could mean locations, or settings. The activity, or game type, is "Faction Wars". The location/setting is random.

Faction Wars sounds a lot like a PvP zone.

Raide

I am hoping the Home at the top is some PSO style city hub where all the players get to run around, craft and shop for stuff. Plus being able to party up before venturing out.

wwm0nkey

I am hoping the Home at the top is some PSO style city hub where all the players get to run around, craft and shop for stuff. Plus being able to party up before venturing out.

Thats actually how the cities were described.

EDIT: Yup!
Hub "public" zones that are all 3rd person. This is where you meet up with players, exchange loot, etc, etc. The one described in the news is on Earth, the Last City and mainly in a place called The Tower, but there are others

I am not sure what grizzled his pants, but I want in on Stoshy's group.

Seriously, this looks as close to a menu as you can get. It looked like they were using a mouse-like object to navigate around (the gray splotch in the middle). I wonder if that suggests to next gen functionality or if that is just a menu device that has further use?

Woorloog

Banned
Here's what i think of this:

The City: The hub area. Throws you direct to there with chose character?

Chapter 3: This is what you're currently doing in story mode. Essentially "continue"?

Bounty: Current weekly/daily challenge you're tracking OR is ongoing. Sends you directly to related area?

Strike: Dungeon. Random hopper probably means you've chosen a random category... assuming dungeons are grouped in categories. Or maybe it is about groups size: there could be 2 person hopper, 4 person hopper and 6 person hopper, or something like that?

Raid: Self-explanatory. Raids are for over 6 person groups, probably for two or more of those. Current chosen raid is Depth of Darkness. Or maybe is is chosen by the game?

Faction Wars: PVP battlegrounds. Random hopper chosen, again the hopper is either referring to group size, or it is playlist: Death Match, CTF, so on.

Interesting. Another possibility, since this is an in-game menu for game options. Bungie often refers to matchmaking playlists as "hoppers". In this context it could mean locations, or settings. The activity, or game type, is "Faction Wars". The location/setting is random.

Faction Wars sounds a lot like a PvP zone.

That's what I took it as too. That screen was obviously inserted to give us an idea of the variety in some of the experiences they are going for.

One thought though, after all this talk of it being "Menuless" they tease us with a... menu? It does look like a kind of goal list while flying from one place to another.

Obviously, that screen is in there for a very specific reason, to tease us about what hasn't even been discussed yet.

I love the kind of hinting at something grander they are doing. Spaceships, Customizeable vehicles! Tons of Variety!

I just wish there was something more to back up those claims at this point.

Woorloog

Banned
One thought though, after all this talk of it being "Menuless" they tease us with a... menu? It does look like a kind of goal list while flying from one place to another.

I reckon it is either a "quick travel" menu or actual main menu. More likely the latter. Can't have a game without main menu really. The game is MMO-like, with multiple classes. Most likely we can create multiple characters, and we need a screen to choose which one we're playing now. Non-Hub options just allow quick starting where ever you want, to avoid unnecessary travel.
I also guess Start opens up options menu, like in Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

"Menuless" likely refers to many things not being done via menus, but rather requiring traveling to a certain place in the hub or the world.
I'll use WoW for example: You want to trade, walk up to another player or go to Auction House. Need to customize your gear's looks? Walk to Transmogrification NPC. You want to fast travel, go to your ship and choose destination or go to a NPC who sends where you want to go.
Essentially, immersion, nothing happens magically by just opening a menu and doing something.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
welp, looks like I'm not full of shit afterall

That reminds me. I owe you an apology. I was one of those that thought you were full of shit. I like I said am man enough to admit when I'm wrong. So I'm going to man up and say I'm sorry for saying I thought you were full of shit. You obviously were not.

sangreal

That reminds me. I owe you an apology. I was one of those that thought you were full of shit. I like I said am man enough to admit when I'm wrong. So I'm going to man up and say I'm sorry for saying I thought you were full of shit. You obviously were not.

no harm in a healthy dose of skepticism. dont blame you at all, no need to apologize

(just couldnt help feeling a little vindicated)

GhaleonEB

I think I missed this. What was he not full of shit about? (Just curious, sounds like he called/knew details in advance?)
no harm in a healthy dose of skepticism. dont blame you at all, no need to apologize

And nothing wrong with vindication, either. :)

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I think I missed this. What was he not full of shit about? (Just curious, sounds like he called/knew details in advance?)

Well apparently the vidoc was accidently put up early. Can't remember where but he described it perfectly and of course several of us were skeptical. Turned out of course that the description given was dead on.

He'd claimed he saw the ViDoc a day in advance, but not everyone believed him. He detailed it and was completely accurate, confirming the claim.

Slime

Banned
Anyone know if the poster pre-order promotion is US only?

There's a big banner on the US GameStop site but nothing at all on the Canadian one.

Amir0x

Banned

It's good to have vindication sometimes.

Nothing will ever beat the time some guy bumped a thread like 4 years old to say he was vindicated though lol

He was vindicated too, so the bump was totally accurate haha

It's good to have vindication sometimes.

Nothing will ever beat the time some guy bumped a thread like 4 years old to say he was vindicated though lol

He was vindicated too, so the bump was totally accurate haha

I remember that! It was archived as far as I remember.

Edit: And Ghaleon swoops in with the link!

so in the video Destiny has some kind of social miiverse thing built in?

I am shocked no one captured the "My Body Is Ready" message on the smartphone

that Reggie meme has gone so far in gaming.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh, I remember that. Epic redemption. Shit got real on post 41. :lol

Funniest part was when charlequin pointed this out:

charlequin said:
OMG. :lol :lol

The best part is that habeem4999 only has 14 posts, and his last one was in 2005! He came all the way back here just to dish out this ownage. :lol

I mean seriously habeem4999 like tunneled into a hole to pop out at just the moment this happened haha

ah, I love neoGAF

Bsigg12

so in the video Destiny has some kind of social miiverse thing built in?

I am shocked no one captured the "My Body Is Ready" message on the smartphone

that Reggie meme has gone so far in gaming.

You have to go back like 40 pages or so, but it was both captured as a picture and .gif. As much as people are taking shots at the way it looks, it (allegedly) has a lot of time left in development so it should look fantastic by the time it's released.

Aaron

Now that I think about it this seems like the same concept as Huxley.

Huxley

That game changed a lot though and it ended up some kinda Unreal Knockoff with lobbies..
I played the original Huxley before it got scrapped, and that was really just fighting arenas with lobbies. Even the pve stuff was arena-based. Destiny sounds more like dungeon raids, similar to PSO and the original Guild Wars.

Not sure if anyone made these yet, but here's all of Destiny's (read: Early) Gameplay Footage, in Gif Format.

-snip-

You're the first one I've seen to make them that large and separate, so thanks :)

I think it's interesting to note how similar the palettes of the first 2 gifs are to Winter Contingency. The hand model also looks a lot like a Spartan III. Last Gif reminds me of Pillar of Autumn.

Would it be reasonable to assume that it may have been a prototype off of the Reach engine? That, or perhaps they've nestled into the art style they used on Reach.

Top Bottom