• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I Am a Hero ch. 263

That short shorts + black socks combo ain't gonna bring in the ladies, Hideo.

I actually kind of like the idea of him being all alone in a Tokyo overrun by nature. Except he's fucking around, yelling at Tobidashi boy, and this is all in the penultimate chapter, so I mean, lmao. I'm prepared for a nothing finale.

Lain

Wombs 1-8

Interesting premise. Essentially, all women combat units have alien(?) creatures implanted into their wombs so that they can access some kind of parallel dimension using their power, and eventually incubate it to the level where they can take it out for...something. It's kind of pulpy, but not as trashy as that kind of sci-fi. I particularly like the art at times, it kind of reminds me of Yoji Shinkawa.

More people reading (and liking) Wombs brings a tear to my eye.

Great faces. Small Kaguya. Actual progress
probably
. 10/10. Also, best reaction goes to:

VnHLP8B.jpg

dani_dc

I Am a Hero 263

This being the penultimate chapter makes me believe nothing will get explained in the last one.

Which makes all the set up about aliens to be quite frustrating, don't do set ups that you aren't going to pay off, you're better off leaving everything an unexplained mystery.

Well I might be jumping the gun though, hopefully I am.

After the last arc I'm glad this is ending though, I get the clear feeling that the author lost track of where to go with the story around the time Oda.

Zweizer

Banned
Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san ch26

Despite her condition, they have quite a sweet relationship~

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari ch31

All this must be pretty cathartic for him.

Fbh

It's not like most of the other series that have made it big have actually done so off of any actual sense of originality, and there are plenty of unique series that get canned. I'd argue the three biggest factors that keep a series going in Jump are appealing characters, interesting and comprehensible art, and easily followed and dynamic paneling and layouts. Demon's Plan lacked the first two, and I think that's because people found the characters and art bland, but plenty others get canned because people find them difficult to follow.

Sure, I know that there are various ways to get both popular or cancelled as a manga.

But poor characters, boring world and a lack of originality is definitely one to get cancelled fast.

It's not like every other jump manga to make it big did so only by being original. But I think all of them at least had some unique aspects to set it apart.
One Piece is the one about pirates, Naruto has the whole Ninja society/world thing, Soma is about cooking, death note had the book that lets you kill and an anti-hero, Jojo has its bizzare style, characters and powers.

Demons plan was just...There. It had the basics elements of a generic Shonen (teens getting powers, rival friends, "the will to protect", etc) but had nothing else going for it. Neither the world, not the characters, nor the powers, not the art was unique in any way.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I Am a Hero 263

This being the penultimate chapter makes me believe nothing will get explained in the last one.

Which makes all the set up about aliens to be quite frustrating, don't do set ups that you aren't going to pay off, you're better off leaving everything an unexplained mystery.

Well I might be jumping the gun though, hopefully I am.

After the last arc I'm glad this is ending though, I get the clear feeling that the author lost track of where to go with the story around the time Oda.

Ughh, i guess Kengo Hanazawa failed to land with this one. A shame.

Im confused why people think a golf manga will survive, unless the thinking is that Kurobas loyalists will just blindly support it for half or a whole year or something.

Golf manga is quite popular in Japan, so i could see it survive longer than others.

Kaguya 53

Ice Kaguya is :AWESOME
This chapter is so darn cute

Prison School 242

Kiyoshi, don't kill yourself (lol)
This chapter is (lol)

Gekkan Shojo Nozaki kun 84

Seo, please never stop bullying Wakamatsu. Because this shit is hilarious

Sure, I know that there are various ways to get both popular or cancelled as a manga.

But poor characters, boring world and a lack of originality is definitely one to get cancelled fast.

It's not like every other jump manga to make it big did so only by being original. But I think all of them at least had some unique aspects to set it apart.
One Piece is the one about pirates, Naruto has the whole Ninja society/world thing, Soma is about cooking, death note had the book that lets you kill and an anti-hero, Jojo has its bizzare style, characters and powers.

Demons plan was just...There. It had the basics elements of a generic Shonen (teens getting powers, rival friends, "the will to protect", etc) but had nothing else going for it. Neither the world, not the characters, nor the powers, not the art was unique in any way.

Were there really no other ninja based series before naruto?

Demon's plan could have been big if it had went all in on the friendship aspect and implied bl.

mdubs

Banned
So Demons Plan got cancelled
While I feel bad for the people behind it.... this could be seen comming from a mile away.

I still find it weird that it got picked up in the first place. It was really bland from the start. Generic setting, boring main character, boring and unoriginal world/setting. Couldn't have been more generic if they tried

The first three chapters were pretty bad. It's weird when they greenlight something like that has initial structural problems.

In hindsight, Red Sprite really suffered I think from blowing its load in the first chapter (a lot of us worried about this at the time, but it really became clear after it failed to catch on).

The first three chapters were pretty bad. It's weird when they greenlight something like that has initial structural problems.

In hindsight, Red Sprite really suffered I think from blowing its load in the first chapter (a lot of us worried about this at the time, but it really became clear after it failed to catch on).

Red Sprite's problem was that it was WAY too fast paced. Like to the point where it could be misconstrued as shallow even if there was more to it. It's like if in the first One Piece chapter they revealed DFs, the secret behind them, as well as the Warlords. And the gimmick was just too...narrow. Everyone was going to have electricity/magnetism based powers? That also weakened its potential.

But actually, it's funny, when you look at Demon's Plan and compare what it'd be like in the hands of a much better writer. Take the character introduced in Chapter 4 who could store weapons inside him. Then compare him to Bege Capone in One Piece, and look at how 2 similar powers play out drastically differently based on the vast differences in writing ability

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fun fact: that Shokugeki character poll was online and I linked it in the last thread. The reason your favorite waifu came in last was because of you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kaguya 53
Child Kaguya knows where it's at.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think there's only one person in the anime thread who didn't go ahead and spoil themselves on Fuuka's Chapter 37 but I'm still laughing at their assumptions about what this "twist" is. Although the anime seems to be veering off into Gecko Ending mode so who knows if they'll even bother with any of the stuff beyond it,
although I'm guessing they're just stalling so that Episode 11 or 12 is Truck-Kun and the entirety of reforming the band gets compressed into the final episode.

cntr

Banned
I think there's only one person in the anime thread who didn't go ahead and spoil themselves on Fuuka's Chapter 37 but I'm still laughing at their assumptions about what this "twist" is.
we convinced a bunch of people to watch Fuuka in the Toonami thread, and nobody knows what the twist is yet, or that there even is a twist

it's going to be great.

Lain

Scumbag Loser Omnibus
1ync.jpg

Well, now I, too, own an unconventional weapon thanks to Yen Press.
I'd say I found the whole thing to be disappointing compared to how it started out, as it felt more gross than creepy. Title was pretty apt though, given the main character is such a damn scumbag loser even at the end of the story he manages to close it in a lame way.

+: I finally got to finish reading this story.
-: I had to, once again, put up with Yen Press awful way to handle onomatopoeia.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jojolion ch. 62

lol that bit with the dude shoving his face into the chain link fence to splash Gappy with blood is p. gnarly. Araki just can't help himself.

I'm super amused with Gappy jacking a kid's bicycle, by the way. I like how he sees the kid transforming and he's immediately on the bike pedaling away.

Happiness ch. 25

I somehow missed this chapter getting translated and, Jesus Christ, this better not be getting canned. An out of nowhere timeskip has me pretty worried. Thinking about it, the school setting was donezo, there really wasn't any going back to that. So hopefully this is all part of the plan. I've honestly been enjoying this more than anything else Oshimi's done thus far.

Yeah, Happiness has been running on all cylinders the past couple chapters. From the fascinating and disturbing artwork of Makoto getting caught and tortured, to Gosho getting her fucking carotid artery cut and not only surviving but escaping a burning house with that shit by jumping out the window, to a fucking 10 YEAR timeskip where it follows Gosho in her new life where she obviously hasn't forgotten about Makoto (as well as leaving Yuki's fate up in the air, if I recall) and the realization of the reader that if Makoto is like Nora than he still looks like a kid and Gosho is all grown up and he might have been tortured for 10 fucking years!

The manga is easily my favorite work from Shuzo Oshimi. Aku no Hana was alright but stumbled a lot.

Masturbation Count

dumbass one shot where people have a number over their head representing how many times they have masturbated. non-h

demon queen has like 270,000 cuz she was bored

Corpse Party - Book of Shadows 12
Rest in pieces. There's some definite artistic license at work here, since she's supposed to be reduced to an indiscernible splat on the wall. The wisdom of wandering off anywhere by yourself should be obvious at this point, though it's not like Nana had any survival prospects anyway.

Zweizer

Banned
Hinamatsuri ch40.5

Damn, Nitta was too good of a kid.

Hinamatsuri ch63

Nitta sure is fearsome, lol.

(I should play Yakuza.)

Yuri Mekuru Oshigoto ch7

It was a pretty eventful trip. They even did bedtime wrestling at the end!

yuri okatu family

well that was lighthearted and fun. The family being totally into it was pretty funny.

Masturbation Count

dumbass one shot where people have a number over their head representing how many times they have masturbated. non-h

demon queen has like 270,000 cuz she was bored

Well, I mean when you're bored you gotta do something.

Fujimi Lovers 11

What.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Oh wow, what a twist, I wonder if this means he's been leaping to different worlds and leaving a string of Hasebes behind. If this could-

*looks up that this is the last chapter and the author said he would continue it 2 years ago*

FUCK

Kuutei Dragons 4

Giraud's very subtle disdain for his dad in explaining how he got good at navigating was an interesting look into his character. Further explored by a story he was fascinated at as a kid but embarrassed about later, contrasted with Mika's single-minded immaturity (that of course is seen as a good thing). These first couple chapters have been good in establishing a single character in the crew while having Mika bounce off of them by their side to guide/catch sight of their aspects. This all of course leads up to Mika and Giraud seeing the Shining Dragon Giraud's dad was talking about and Giradu breaking into a wide smile that we've never seen before.

Would be kinda fucked up to let it take them through the storms and in thanks they fucking kill it and eat it lol

spiritfox

Fujimi Lovers 11

What.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Oh wow, what a twist, I wonder if this means he's been leaping to different worlds and leaving a string of Hasebes behind. If this could-

*looks up that this is the last chapter and the author said he would continue it 2 years ago*

FUCK

Wait that was the last chapter? Fuck.

Wait that was the last chapter? Fuck.

Ypu. Shitsux bro.

It's like getting to the end of that Dating a Team Magma Grunt chapter and it being like "Welp. Bye"

We Can't Study 3

You know? This is actually growing on me. Cute faces and silly character traits can do a lot to endear to you to "harem trash" as it were.

Zweizer

Banned
DAYDREAM HOUR 2 by Kui Ryoko

Kui Ryoko is such a great artist~ Definitely one of my favorites.

Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei desu ga, Toriaezu Shine ch9

Such bloodlust everywhere. That school is finished at any rate.

Fancolors

Dungeon Meshi

I think this is what I like the most about Dungeon Meshi. There's a lot of thought put into the world building and characters. Otherwise this would fall into the pit of very forgettable fantasy manga

Vs Earth 1

Another gory "Crazy shit shows up and kills MC's friends out of nowhere so he has to join an organization to defend stuff and whatever"

They're good for a read just if you want some random people exploding.

Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone Suru 1

Oh shit, another Abe Youichi manga I didn't know about! From the dude who brought you that Goldfish Bowl Man manga comes a heartwarming story about childhood friends who were inseparable until high school when one of them started hanging out with a crowd who found their lovey-dovey act gross so she helped bully her childhood friend until that childhood friend slit the other one's throat with a razor and when she went to the funeral the dead body started to speak so it asked her to cut off the head and go hang out and so they did and became friends again until the girl had to turn herself in but the head visits her in prison now and it's starting to grow a hand and run it's own mail-order website so things'll be okay when she gets out. And that's just chapter 1!

I love this dude's stuff.

Dungeon Meshi Daydream Hour 2

Clearly the artist (who is a woman, didn't know) put a lot of thought into designing the creatures in the world, even if they only show up briefly.

Ascheroth

Vs Earth 1

Another gory "Crazy shit shows up and kills MC's friends out of nowhere so he has to join an organization to defend stuff and whatever"

They're good for a read just if you want some random people exploding.

Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone Suru 1

Oh shit, another Abe Youichi manga I didn't know about! From the dude who brought you that Goldfish Bowl Man manga comes a heartwarming story about childhood friends who were inseparable until high school when one of them started hanging out with a crowd who found their lovey-dovey act gross so she helped bully her childhood friend until that childhood friend slit the other one's throat with a razor and when she went to the funeral the dead body started to speak so it asked her to cut off the head and go hang out and so they did and became friends again until the girl had to turn herself in but the head visits her in prison now and it's starting to grow a hand and run it's own mail-order website so things'll be okay when she gets out. And that's just chapter 1!

I love this dude's stuff.

That reminds me I haven't finished reading the goldfish bowl man manga yet.

It's hard to keep up with it cause I think it had a sequel manga that was just...the manga more, and it's chapter numbering is like 8.1C and shit. Takes effort to follow it.

That being said, I might need to write more on this one, Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone Suru because it's so fucking weird. Each chapter is a barely connected story just because it's set in the same town, but it's just about all these weird happenings and whatnot.

Might be more effective to just post contextless images from it though, because they really are so weird.

Top Bottom