• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Irish

Guards? Eh, I'm sure they would be handy if you cared about dying. Most of the important stuff gets relocated right away and the rest is generally free for the taking.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I had to use a fix via CMD/bat/dll file here just to run the game. No more Steam overlay but the game now works. I don't know how or why this even happened. It's always worked through Steam but now I have to use some janky fix. Does Dwarden read the messages here? I would love a practical fix that will allow me to fire this up normally via Steam. On the latest DayZ and beta patch. Again, it does work but via the method I linked. At least now I can join the guys though. That's what's important. I be playing in probably an hour or so after my son gets done.

And yes I updated to the BattleEye that was posted earlier. I get the red text telling it works so I hope this is normal when I load up a server (loaded the GAF server).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the farming/just dropping items on a server.

Will that stuff just stay there if no one picks it up at all? I thought they would disappear after a certain time. And I assume they disappear after a server reset?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Question about the farming/just dropping items on a server.

Will that stuff just stay there if no one picks it up at all? I thought they would disappear after a certain time. And I assume they disappear after a server reset?

If you go to US 121, there is a tent right next to the north side barracks at the NW Airstrip chock full of assault rifles and ammo. Somebody was clearly farming there. I hung out a bit waiting for them to show up again but bugged out after about 15 minutes. I get really nervous sitting in one spot that long in DayZ. Weren't any upgrades for me in the tent.

I totally do not have that tent covered from 600m out with my DMR. Trust me.

JambiBum

Friend and I have been having a good run today. We found a stranger right off the bat and grouped up for a while until he left us.

Sometimes when I join a server Battle Eye will update by itself, but other times it won't. I'd like to join the GAF server again now that I'm geared up but I don't want to fuck myself and my friend over with the whole Battle Eye thing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Friend and I have been having a good run today. We found a stranger right off the bat and grouped up for a while until he left us.

Sometimes when I join a server Battle Eye will update by itself, but other times it won't. I'd like to join the GAF server again now that I'm geared up but I don't want to fuck myself and my friend over with the whole Battle Eye thing.

What exactly does the Battle Eye thing suppose to do anyway?

Server is updating, I think? Ominous red message appeared on screen saying I should get off ASAP or I lose my progress. :p

There are some people who like to stay until the very last second, rejoin and then complain that they're missing some progress. When I shut down the server it doesn't get a chance to send a final hive update, so whenever it transmitted last is what you get.

And yet another giant red message:

YOU MUST BE RUNNING 95054 TO PLAY ON THE GAF SERVER. THE DAYZ TEAM INSISTED WE UPDATE, WHICH I'M ASSUMING IS FOR THE NEXT PATCH.

I went to a server with 4 other people on it, spawned in about 200m from one of the northern airstrip's barracks. Was in the barracks looking for loot when 3 of the other 4 players on the server ran past the window.

Long story short, the risk is still there if you're at the nw airstrip or stary sobor, IMHO, unless you're the only one on the server. Matter of fact, as soon as I snag a pair of NVGs I'm going to start camping the barracks on low pop servers and killing the people who jump server just for a barracks run. Should be fun. I expect more people to do it, making it a much less effective/safe way of acquiring that tier of loot. Downside is that I'll have to change my name after each group otherwise I'll get countered pretty easy.

You get to a certain point in the gear curve where the only things---other than vehicles which can be easily found with little to no risk---you're interested in are at the barracks and/or helicopter crash sites. One of these is trivially easy to find on each server, one isn't. As long as that is the case server hopping will be popular for as long as it is possible.

well, there's a barrack that spawns good shit and is pretty much problem-free... it's like a toiler and a few rooms. I got grenades from there, g17 and even some m4 sd mags... no m4sd sadly.

I joined many up to 10 people server, and only once I heard a firefight... and i probably hopped about 30 servers lol.

NH Apache

Banned
Finally set up a home base with my tent. Also figured out how to replace one's own blood with grub. Next time I log in I'm going hunting. Arming up in electro was awesome. In about 3 blocks I raided the hospital school and ammo shop place and some nice swag including a tent.

I may move centrally to stary or maybe some other swank place gaf peeps like to congregate. Need a break now though. So freaking addictive this game is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So this mod is so popular that the store I used to work at is now ordering in new ARMA II stock, despite having not sold the game retail for quite awhile, simply due to the frequency of customer requests.

WedgeX

Banned
So this mod is so popular that the store I used to work at is now ordering in new ARMA II stock, despite having not sold the game retail for quite awhile, simply due to the frequency of customer requests.

Crazy. I'd doubt if even 1% of the current players own a physical copy of the game.

goonergaz

Another tense night last night.

Went to meet the group at Cherno, en route they were double-crossed by an old ally (who killed my son and I guess stole his decent kit) however I continue to slowly and surely make my way into town...eventually I found myself lying on the floor across the road from the store - suddenly I see a player run in so I hang back - waiting for several mins I see a message pop up that the double-crosser had been killed...was that who just entered the store?

A few mins later I thought WTH and slowly make my way in, I find a cross-bow and one arrow...finally a weapon!! So then my son walks in and suggests I go to the church - inside some git has barb-wired it but I managed to get over it and find a shot-gun! Wahoo! I'm ready to quit but my son nags me on hearing the death of the double-crosser...we check, he's offline - my son want's to try and sind the stuff he would have nicked from him...so he tells me to to outside where I come face-to-face with another player "freindly" I say "blam" he says - dead again! Another 2 hours gone - time to retire for the evening!

Now I came across a few frustrations. Firstly as you don't have a weapon and you can't use fists/kicks you are totally defenceless against the zombies...and often you can alert them even when being incredibly careful - I think this needs tweeking. Also, there's no way of telling which buildings you can get into...let's face it, most houses would be broken into but if there's a limitation in the engine maybe the houses that can't be entered should be boarded or something? It just makes escaping the already super-fast zombies even harder - but man this game is so addictive and time-zapping! The atmosphere really get's my adrenalyn going, shame my son is just too hap-hazard in his approach (which cost me my life).

The zombies will continue to be tweaked. It's all part of the testing.

There is a way to tell which buildings you can enter. There's only 5-6 types of building and I'm sure someone here can point you in the direction of a website that lists them with pictures.

ZenVolta

The zombies will continue to be tweaked. It's all part of the testing.

There is a way to tell which buildings you can enter. There's only 5-6 types of building and I'm sure someone here can point you in the direction of a website that lists them with pictures.

Wait till you have to learn what buildings arent really buildings. Hint: Hangers and Medical tents dont count. Found that out the hard way after a unfortunate flare accident.

However the bottom floor of hospitals seem to be safe havens from zombies. They dont try to pass the glass and just stand out side. Maybe they are waiting for you to get fresh blood so they have more to eat? Tricky
bastard
zombies

EDIT: Can anyone confirm if vehicles are spawning? Not just saved ones but out in the world? Me and friend havent seen one for a LONG time. Last one I saw was a bike that someone must have saved next to a deer stand.

Bogeypop

Can anyone confirm if vehicles are spawning? Not just saved ones but out in the world? Me and friend havent seen one for a LONG time. Last one I saw was a bike that someone must have saved next to a deer stand.

Definitely are spawning. Slope found an ATV at one of its spawns yesterday.

kyored

started from a save state and I didn't know it got dark in game lol. I had a flashlight and didn't know how to use it so I took off running around in pitch black till I fell off the dock into the water. (cause the zombies spooked the hell out me).

legacyzero

Banned
Hmmm not sure that will work for them unless they advertise it as such.

Comes with DayZ!!!!!!

When will we see EatChildren on the GAF server hmmmm??

WedgeX

Banned
Another tense night last night.

Went to meet the group at Cherno, en route they were double-crossed by an old ally (who killed my son and I guess stole his decent kit) however I continue to slowly and surely make my way into town...eventually I found myself lying on the floor across the road from the store - suddenly I see a player run in so I hang back - waiting for several mins I see a message pop up that the double-crosser had been killed...was that who just entered the store?

A few mins later I thought WTH and slowly make my way in, I find a cross-bow and one arrow...finally a weapon!! So then my son walks in and suggests I go to the church - inside some git has barb-wired it but I managed to get over it and find a shot-gun! Wahoo! I'm ready to quit but my son nags me on hearing the death of the double-crosser...we check, he's offline - my son want's to try and sind the stuff he would have nicked from him...so he tells me to to outside where I come face-to-face with another player "freindly" I say "blam" he says - dead again! Another 2 hours gone - time to retire for the evening!

Now I came across a few frustrations. Firstly as you don't have a weapon and you can't use fists/kicks you are totally defenceless against the zombies...and often you can alert them even when being incredibly careful - I think this needs tweeking. Also, there's no way of telling which buildings you can get into...let's face it, most houses would be broken into but if there's a limitation in the engine maybe the houses that can't be entered should be boarded or something? It just makes escaping the already super-fast zombies even harder - but man this game is so addictive and time-zapping! The atmosphere really get's my adrenalyn going, shame my son is just too hap-hazard in his approach (which cost me my life).

Dude. Your son was murdered. And he once cost you your life. These are stories that need to be told. In depth.

edit: top of the page, so quote this for mumble info!

NH Apache

Banned
What are the gaf server details?

US 38, but just search gaf

I exited the church in this little town I had come upon, and everything was grey. I had lost so much bloood I kept passing out every 5 minutes. The little sunlight there was in the fierce thunderstorm nearly blinded me.

I leave holy ground and as I pass the large fence I hear a gunshot - close. I turn and there he was lying prone not 15 yards away.

I, in my greyed stupor, didn't see him until he shot again at me and missed. I took a couple shots with my newlyfound winchester but to no avail. One shot and I was toast.

_Rip Apache #2

Jburton

Banned
I can't download the operation arrow 1.61 beta patch, it brings me to a a site that requires a login and password.

Got DayZ working just can't join any servers due not having 1.61 ( could not join Gaf server for this reason)

I can't download the operation arrow 1.61 beta patch, it brings me to a a site that requires a login and password.

Got DayZ working just can't join any servers due not having 1.61 ( could not join Gaf server for this reason)

Just keep trying, it'll let you download it eventually. Also make sure you have the newest version of BattleEye.

WedgeX

Banned
Welp. Started sniping a hostile group of 6, 7? in Cherno with boogie and wizard. Then got shot, died.

Spawned just north of stary with gear I had several days ago. Neat.

Welp. Started sniping a hostile group of 6, 7? in Cherno with boogie and wizard. Then got shot, died.

Spawned just north of stary with gear I had several days ago. Neat.

haha - nice!
These things go both ways though, I went prone on a balcony and got 'popped' into the middle of the air and fell to my death :( Did once crash and come back to find I was no longer infected, which was nice.

------------------

Oh and got a scary meetin the other day - was following the North coast, looking for that nice military boat, and I find this wee rubbish fishing boat. Check it out - its out of fuel (or stuck on the coast, it showed some fuel and the engine was running, but wouldn't move). Get out to go get fuel. See a figure in the woods, hes firing a silence sniper at me.

He was rubbish but I couldn't get a straight shot at him; tried to move to a tree line - didn't think he'd seen me but then I got shot, so not really sure what happened (his bullets were falling short, so moving forward was probably my mistake).

I had a sniper as well, but never had the time/room to get it out. :(

Can't tell if someone found my tent or not - any gaffers swap their AK for a shotgun at a tent recently. I can't remember if I died with the AK later and the shotgun is mine, or what :D

Jburton

Banned
Got in, very confusing .... So you start with no weapons or items?

Lol!

Anyway, a bit tired and a bit late .... Will give it some real attention tomorrow night, thanks to all those that helped me get this far.

Top Bottom