• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Melchiah

Why on earth woudl they drop their leading lady now?

Ending spoilers:

Yes, hades is, for the moment stopped, but she wasn't just given that task. She was given the task of fixing Gaia and bringing the system back under control. She, frankly, still has a mountain of work to do there. All she has done here is buy the world some time, the system is still out of control, and we don't know who was responsible for the viral attack.

Ending spoilers:

Yeah, that question still remains unanswered, and she's
the only one with the knowledge and will to pursue the matter. After all, her "mother" wished for her to have the compassion to heal the world.

GlamFM

Banned
I would LOVE a new NG+ that allowed me to keep all of my upgrades and weapons.

Almost positive that it was semi-confirmed.

Hermen (or another staffer from GG) retweeted someone asking for that.

EDIT: Here:

8h3n8Mx.png

AAK

The whole "why throw away the character Aloy" is such a flawed argument. That's the equivalent of saying "why throw away all world building GG spent so much effort on if they don't take advantage of all the other possible characters in the universe".

You can still have Aloy involved in the narrative while giving players a new playable character.

I'm also in the camp that believes Aloy's story was perfectly & powerfully wrapped with H:ZD and I find it completely appropriate for a fresh face to lead the sequel.

The whole "why throw away the character Aloy" is such a flawed argument. That's the equivalent of saying "why throw away all world building GG spent so much effort on if they don't take advantage of all the other possible characters in the universe".

You can still have Aloy involved in the narrative while giving players a new playable character.

I'm also in the camp that believes Aloy's story was perfectly & powerfully wrapped with H:ZD and I'd definitely prefer a fresh face for the new game.
She
still has to fix GAIA though

I like the downplaying of Horizon sales in the NPD thread and saying Sony lied about the numbers(Murica is the world). Some people really want to hate this game so badly.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Did some of you not pay attention to the story? Aloy still has some pretty major things to accomplish and loose ends to tie up. Also why get rid of a great new female protagonist after a single game?

I like the downplaying of Horizon sales in the NPD thread and saying Sony lied about the numbers(Murica is the world). Some people really want to hate this game so badly.

It's many pages now, but do you know who said it or have a link to the post? I'd love to read someone who thinks NPD = world, for the lulz. xD~~

Let me guess... Anime/Zelda avatars?
What are you, a psychic or something? :p

How did you know :p To be fair one had a Dragonquest avatar.
Same person who trashed
Aquamarine too
This game went from totally going to flop both critically and commercially to sony is lying about the numbers. The goalpost shifting is egregious really. Sometimes this place is no better than the trash at gamefaqs

if every ip dropped the main character because "what is left for them to do that couldn't be accomplished by another character?" every game would likely have a new main character. guerrilla have only just started to build Aloy, a character that has resonated with countless fans, dropping her would be a terrible decision

To be fair, most games aren't as narrative heavy as this. It's easier to compare this more to The Last of Us than Mario and there's a reason why a lot of people didn't want to see Ellie and Joel again in a hypothetical TLoU2 before it was revealed. Personally, I'm sure they can write a great new story with Aloy again, but it probably won't have the impact that a new character would. Not after how much personal closure she got.

I'm fine either way though since I really like Aloy.

Did some of you not pay attention to the story? Aloy still has some pretty major things to accomplish and loose ends to tie up. Also why get rid of a great new female protagonist after a single game?

"Because, like, why not?" is virtually what their arguments boil down to lol.

gatti-man

I'm also in the camp that believes Aloy's story was perfectly & powerfully wrapped with H:ZD and I find it completely appropriate for a fresh face to lead the sequel.

Yeah you're right. We totally should have played mass effect 2 & 3 from someone else's perspective. Same thing with uncharted. And why have Mario be in Mario games let's give peach or toad stool a whirl.

The fact that Aloy works and has good chemistry with players is reason enough to keep her. The other reason is her story isn't even done yet. We basically completed her origin story and that's it in the first game. The battle isn't even over.

I find it really odd people are so ready to throw away one of the best female leads gaming has ever had.

To be fair, most games aren't as narrative heavy as this. It's easier to compare this more to The Last of Us than Mario and there's a reason why a lot of people didn't want to see Ellie and Joel again in a hypothetical TLoU2 before it was revealed. Personally, I'm sure they can write a great new story with Aloy again, but it probably won't have the impact that a new character would. Not after how much personal closure she got.

You genuinely believe a new Horizon character would impact the sequel's narrative more than Aloy's already loaded backstory?

Melchiah

To be fair, most games aren't as narrative heavy as this. It's easier to compare this more to The Last of Us than Mario and there's a reason why a lot of people didn't want to see Ellie and Joel again in a hypothetical TLoU2 before it was revealed. Personally, I'm sure they can write a great new story with Aloy again, but it probably won't have the impact that a new character would. Not after
how much personal closure she got.

It's exactly the opposite for me; a new character most likely wouldn't have the same impact on me. Now, that they've established the character, and told her growing story, they can add even more depth to her. The same as it's with TLOU2. I'm not really interested in seeing yet another growing story for a different character. It would feel like a repetition of what I've already played.

You genuinely believe a new Horizon character would impact the sequel's narrative more than Aloy's already loaded backstory?

I think it would be more interesting to get a new character's perspective and learn about them rather than continue with Aloy. She could still be involved. Maybe even mentor the new character.

EDIT: I'm talking about personal impact, not impact on the overall plot at hand.

I think it would be more interesting to get a new character's perspective and learn about them rather than continue with Aloy. She could still be involved. Maybe even mentor the new character.

EDIT: I'm talking about personal impact, not impact on the overall plot at hand.

I don't imagine a new character is gonna impact anyone more personally than watching the continued growth of Aloy.

gatti-man

So we get ANOTHER origin story? Please no.

Aloys journey could be bigger and more grand in the sequel. Not only that but the stakes got raised huge in the ending. We should see that to conclusion before anything else.

I don't imagine a new character is gonna impact anyone more personally than watching the continued growth of Aloy.

Agree to disagree. I feel like the majority of Aloy's personal journey is largely over and done. She has actual physical things she still needs to do, but by the end of that game she knows who she is. She has personal closure. The most interesting thing you could do is explore her
handling being the Anointed
, but I really hope the next game takes place far away from the Sacred Lands.

Again, if the game stars Aloy again (and it likely will), I'm fine with that. I like her. But I think it would be more interesting to see someone else's journey now.

Guerilla games didn't just create a new franchise with this game, they also created a staple character for PlayStation to be up there with the likes of Crash, Nate, Kratos, and all the other mascots. Aloy isn't going anywhere and there's also a compelling story reason to keep her around for future games.

Agree to disagree. I feel like the majority of Aloy's personal journey is largely over and done. She has actual physical things she still needs to do, but by the end of that game she knows who she is. She has personal closure.

She knows bits and pieces of who she is, she doesn't know what it means to be who she is. It's akin to the arc Luke Skywalker goes through in the OG trilogy: by the end of the first movie a large part of his personal arc of self-discovery is done, but the second movie actually casts the whole thing in a new, different light.

HStallion

Agree to disagree. I feel like the majority of Aloy's personal journey is largely over and done. She has actual physical things she still needs to do, but by the end of that game she knows who she is. She has personal closure. The most interesting thing you could do is explore her
handling being the Anointed
, but I really hope the next game takes place far away from the Sacred Lands.

Again, if the game stars Aloy again (and it likely will), I'm fine with that. I like her. But I think it would be more interesting to see someone else's journey now.

I have to ask again in a gaming world still in need of more female leads why would we get rid of the best one we have gotten in a long time? I'd also argue she still has a lot of hey journey left to complete, both literally and figuratively.
She had no time to deal with any of the world shattering revelations before being thrust into the role of the savior.
We have a lot left of her story from a variety of angles. She basically dealt with the most immediate issue and has tons lefts to do.

Stanng243

So I feel really stupid now. I've finished the game, and I don't know these 2 things.

What did Rost do to get cast out?

Why was Aloy given to him?

Where did they show up in the story?

HStallion

So I feel really stupid now. I've finished the game, and I don't know these 2 things.

After you leave the Holy mountain once you get all the revelations you can talk to Tearza

TsuWave

yeah man, i've never seen so many people actively dismissing such a great game. one of the best this gen at that. its so weird.

I have to ask again in a gaming world still in need of more female leads why would we get rid of the best one we have gotten in a long time? I'd also argue she still has a lot of hey journey left to complete, both literally and figuratively.
She had no time to deal with any of the world shattering revelations before being thrust into the role of the savior.
We have a lot left of her story from a variety of angles. She basically dealt with the most immediate issue and has tons lefts to do.

Who's to say a new lead couldn't be female? Who's to say Aloy couldn't still be a big part of the game? Again, I know she physically has more to do, but she has pretty solid closure personally. I'm not saying she's 100% explored, but I think we just played through the most interesting part of her personal journey.

shiba5

Yeah. No.
I don't particularly like the new Lara Croft, but I can't imagine asking for a totally new character to replace her. Or, how about Nathan Drake? Should Naughty Dog have canned him after the first game?
I love Aloy and want to see more of her. She resonated with a lot of people and Guerrilla would be nuts to start over.

Go talk to Teersa after The Heart of the Nora and you'll find out. It's
heartbreaking.

Yeah. No.
I don't particularly like the new Lara Croft, but I can't imagine asking for a totally new character to replace her. Or, how about Nathan Drake? Should Naughty Dog have canned him after the first game?
I love Aloy and want to see more of her. She resonated with a lot of people and Guerrilla would be nuts to start over.

That's a funny example considering they are essentially dropping Drake now that his personal arc is over and he's found closure. The difference is that it took them 4 games to do that while Horizon pretty much did it in 1.

Top Bottom