• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Joe Danger 2: The Movie is in there as well -- personally I liked the first Joe Danger better, but I 100%'d both and they're both worth playing.

I'm not so sure. I'd think that if Valve were receptive to the idea of non-Steam-game hubs it'd release an update that automatically creates them based on community-tagged contributions, with basic auto-correction preventing dupes (e.g. Battlefeld 3 is fixed as Battlefield 3).

Yeah, if they were going to allow community hubs, you'd figure they'd allow community hubs, as opposed to pre-creating hubs for very specific games, missing major PC games and including old games with no PC versions

Madness

The original Halo trilogy on Steam? No way... This would be some or the best news I've had this generation.

Halo 3 is not coming to PC. It's been five years. There's been an RTS spinoff, an addon, a prequel, a remake of sorts and a sequel since then, none of which came to PC.

NBtoaster

The main thing that makes Halo 1 and 2 unbelievable is that Microsoft doesn't even offer them online anywhere. Unless they're doing some new compilation.

Fez and Duke Nukem 3D don't seem that crazy.

Hmmm.

mPhS8IY.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I would play the hell out of Halo 3 on PC! And running at 60 fps with some actual AA...it would be a different game.

Goddamn if they brought Halo 3 to PC I'd die a happy man. Not going to happen though. I think someone at Valve is just screwing with people now.

scitek

Wasn't there something the other day that indicated Microsoft had plans regarding Steam? I'd buy the shit out of Steam versions of the Halo franchise.

EDIT: That's what I'm referring to, 2 posts up. ^^

duckroll

This is pretty nuts. Knowing Valve though, even though this has now been "discovered", it could be a long time before we have any idea as to what is really going on, if anything is going on at all. Hopefully something is going on, because change is good! Or at least... change is interesting.

1-D_FTW

Joe Danger 2: The Movie is in there as well -- personally I liked the first Joe Danger better, but I 100%'d both and they're both worth playing.

Unsurprising but still most welcomed.

EDIT:

Joe Danger Comp was added on Dec. 20th. So maybe they will be bringing both out.

Also, everyone knows that these registry entries are watched. If Halo 3 were coming out for Steam, or most importantly for PC at all, you better believe MS would be the one making the announcement instead of it leaking out vie the registry watchers.

Zero Point Zero Percent Chance.

Kraut

Given that Microsoft has just launched their own walled-garden for Windows 8, I think it's next to impossible that they would allow something like Halo launch on a competitor's service. I'd happily be proven wrong though (Halo 3 with proper AA and 60 FPS on PC omgomgomg)

Tizoc

Fighting games? On my steam? Awesome

...not to mention 2 of the most wanted Fighters for consoles. KoF 98 and 02 UM would spike the sales from South America like never before on Steam, add to that the many games newcomers can get from sales and the world will have more players with backlogs then ever before!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Halo 3 is not coming to PC. It's been five years. There's been an RTS spinoff, an addon, a prequel, a remake of sorts and a sequel since then, none of which came to PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brütal_Legend
https://twitter.com/Dracogen/status/297914878151249920
http://cdr.xpaw.ru/sub/19259/

it's been 3 and a half years, the company has made dozens more games, the publisher considers the game a dead letter, etc etc

I linked that exact thing in the OP!

I don't think it's going to happen, and I don't have a machine that can run it, but seeing Halo 3 with amped up graphics would be awesome.

kuYuri

Halo 3 alone gets me excited, but then I remember the PS1 FFs showing up in Steam registry/datebase and still not up on Steam.

Karl2177

Let's just play a bit of Devil's Advocate here. Let's say Halo 3 does come to PC via Steam. I would assume that they would keep Sapien and Guerilla. Would this mean that we could have a map editor to build a base map, then have Forge to place very basic objects? That would be wonders to the creation of custom maps.

At a certain point someone realised the reality of the situation and was convinced not to leave money on the table? Perhaps the figures on how well (or not) Fable 3 did on Steam is convincing them to reevaluate?

wildfire

Banned
If Dyad comes to steam I'll be conflicted. I've been wanting to play this game for awhile but it's on a console I currently don't own and I have been deliberately heavily cutting back on buying games for the steam platform for the past few months.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Halo 3 alone gets me excited, but then I remember the PS1 FFs showing up in Steam registry/datebase and still not up on Steam.

Those showed up when Eidos first signed with Valve, and the suspicion is that they did intend to release the games but that technical issues with the ports prevented them from doing so. There are very few, possibly no examples of games showing up in the registry since then that weren't intended for release.

I think the big need for caution in this case is that most of these games do not actually have game names in the Steam Registry, only in their community hubs, which is why I threw out the suggestion that these entries might be linked to a change to community hubs (allowing non-Steam games) versus an intended Steam release.

At a certain point someone realised the reality of the situation and was convinced not to leave money on the table? Perhaps the figures on how well (or not) Fable 3 did on Steam is convincing them to reevaluate?

For a company the size of MS the value of lost sales is miniscule compared to exclusivity that sells consoles.

TheOddOne

It is also the end of the generation, they already made tons of money in the initial years and getting a second win with Steam is no brainer. I'm banking on it that it will happen.

Forkball

Other weird stuff.

Civ V - Frankenstein
DayZ
Ikari Warriors
TERA (was on Steam then removed)
The Banner Saga: Factions (Kickstarter game)
[CONSOLE] Half-Life 2 Multiplayer
Dota 2 DLC Range
Age of Conan
Anarchy Online
Seven Souls Online (game shut down in December)
Crysis 2 GOTY
Skullgirls
Runescape
Saints Row IV (wat)
World of Tanks

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
A bunch of MS games are on steam already: mark of the ninja, dead light, AoE

Maybe they were tests of viability?

It is also the end of the generation, they already made tons of money in the initial years and getting a second win with Steam is no brainer. I'm banking on it that it will happen.

Yes, you will not see Halo 4 on PC anytime soon, and the spin-offs will probably never be ported. It's a good strategy, not only can you get more money from old games, but you get people hooked on a franchise so they're more likely to buy your new console for the sequels. I mean, Halo was one of the main reasons I wanted a 360 after playing the first two games on PC.

V_Ben

Banned
Halo 3? Wild. It's interesting that 2 has appeared there, considering the multiplayer is dead. A SP only edition? Steamworks? Who knows!

I think we should all keep our hype in check re:KoFXIII, actually.

Remember, it is already a PC game.

The arcade cab is just a PC, and you can run that version on your home PC if you look for it.

We'll be lucky if it has online at all.

Top Bottom