• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google is shaping up to have a pivotal year. The Pixel 2 won't get the pass the original Pixel did. iPhone 8 is supposed to be the most revolutionary phone since iPhone 4. Tablets are not dead but waiting their inevitable revamp to be better laptop replacements. Google hasn't released a new tablet in awhile. Chromebooks are the new education standard. Samsung Galaxy S8 phones are still well liked... For now.

Fuchsia https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/googles-fuchsia-smartphone-os-dumps-linux-has-a-wild-new-ui/

Let's kick the discussion off Android style: Never happy with the present, always looking at what's next and why we will inevitably hate it. Give us your OT9 predictions.

OP reactions from a mainstay OT participant: https://youtu.be/Wg8kyhWr71w

Security patch:

Ssm4gPl.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
Mmmm, I'm back in the phone game now that I've switched to an S8.

Also, that's a pretty dope (and really weird) film. Whoever made it has a future in filmmaking.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Mmmm, I'm back in the phone game now that I've switched to an S8.

Also, that's a pretty dope (and really weird) film. Whoever made it has a future in filmmaking.
How did you watch it within two minutes? Typical Android user.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
An iterative update, just like the last few Android OS updates.

I like it.

In theory the backend change of moving shit so OEMs can just update their block so updated come out faster could be a big deal.

But yeah we've been riding that iterative train since like Android 6.

Vanillalite

I really want that Tab S3 now especially after​ using my S8+ for a couple weeks now.

But fuck man that pricing. $600 for the damn thing is just highway robbery. Same for the iPad Pro.

New "regular" iPad is just such a solid value now.

Bboy AJ

In theory the backend change of moving shit so OEMs can just update their block so updated come out faster could be a big deal.

But yeah we've been riding that iterative train since like Android 6.
Fuchsia is incredibly huge and how the entire OT7 went over 20,000 posts without discussing it is insane.

reKon

Banned
Samsung Pay is available in the UK now btw for those who were using that as one of the reasons they'll never get the international version. This is for the S6, S7 and S8. It's actually available now in a bunch of countries, so there are multi stock firmwares you could flash.

Jeffrey

Oneplus is gonna have some competition when these flagships are gonna be cheaper from fire sales before it launchs

Vanillalite

Oneplus is gonna have some competition when these flagships are gonna be cheaper from fire sales before it launchs

This is definitely true especially since their keep creeping up on pricing. You could routinely get the Honor 8 and Axon 7 for sub $400, and they were like $399 max on Amazon. You could never grab that OP3T for less than $430 for the cheapest model.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
My Xperia Z1's battery has been dying for awhile now, so I ordered a replacement in February.

Now the replacement (manufactured in 2013) is as bad as the original, despite starting at around 50% capacity when I got it.

It was so bad that while I was jogging the phone turned off, despite having been fully charged to 100% half an hour before.
(The battery is so bad it can't turn the phone on by itself at that point, it requires a power supply and a moment to relax.)

So I had to order another replacement, just to tide me over until the OnePlus 5. This time I spend 5 Euros extra and I got a replacement with a manufacturing week of 17W01. (Lucky draw.)

At least now it won't turn off again on its own while I'm actively using it, but I'm still looking forward to the OP5.

Who thought this squeeze stuff was a good idea? HTC management needs to be fired. Exclusively on Sprint because no one else would carry it lol

The squeeze stuff makes sense. Anyone buying this phone will squeeze the fuck out of it in anger because no one told them not to buy an HTC phone. They also get the added benefit of having the phone actually do something when squeezed, unlike all these​ other garbage phones out here.

IronRaven

I'm going to laugh if the phone ends up having squeezing damage on the sides of the phone as a common problem. Like the HTC designers didn't make the phone strong enough. I can already see the hashtag: squeezegate.

reKon

Banned
I'm going to laugh if the phone ends up having squeezing damage on the sides of the phone as a common problem. Like the HTC designers didn't make the phone strong enough. I can already see the hashtag: squeezegate.

i'm so ready for this

That site is bullshit. They are bought and paid for. I still remember when they gave one of those Moto phones the highest score ever at the time and the camera was shit.
Perhaps the camera wasn't shit and most people were just incapable of properly utilizing the phone's camera? The Dx0mark folks are camera pros, after all.

Perhaps the camera wasn't shit and most people were just incapable of properly utilizing the phone's camera? The Dx0mark folks are camera pros, after all.

Eh if I have to go in and adjust a bunch of manual settings and take 30 minutes to set up a picture to look good then it's pointless. Give me the point and shoot review as that's what 99% of people do. Their reviews don't mean much as they throw around the best camera ever each year. There's no way HTC has a better camera than Samsung S8+ or the Pixel in real world use.

NeOak

They avoided Lumia phones because Nokia wouldn't pay them their review fee.

Then they go and give shitty scores to one of the best cameras at the time, and 74 to the 1020, which still is one best cameras with 41MP and true hardware OIS.

But hey, it got a 90 from them so it's good, right? /s

Top Bottom