• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online microtransactions made nearly $66.4 million in three months

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From October to December specifically.

MCVUK said:
“A few years ago, we’d launch a title, it would be sold physically, then we would sell catalogue versions of it. Today we launch a title, and often – if not always – put out DLC. We’ve talked about recurrent consumer spending, where we have offerings where fans can engage and spend money on an on-going basis.

“With GTA V, we have sold 32.5m units in to date, which is extraordinary. 70 per cent of people that have played GTA V while online have played GTA Online, which is a free-to-play experience. And recurrent consumer spending related to GTA Online represented nearly half of our digitally delivered revenue in the quarter. So people are voting that they want to stay engaged and they are voting with their wallets.”
Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/take-two-we-don-t-need-to-release-gta-yearly/0128257

Take-Two said:
The largest contributors to net revenue in fiscal third quarter 2014 were Grand Theft Auto V®, NBA® 2K14, and WWE® 2K14. Non-GAAP net revenue from digitally-delivered content grew 42% year-over-year to $132.8 million, driven by the Grand Theft Auto series, the NBA 2K franchise, and offerings for Borderlands® 2 and BioShock® Infinite.
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762767&highlight=take+two

kmax

tumblr_mi59ny8RQb1r5jw4vo1_500.gif

Montresor

In 15 hours of playing GTA Online I don't think I ever saw a prompt to purchase any in-game money. I never would anyway, as the online is dreadfully boring.

LOL at calling the online portion free-to-play. So I don't need the GTAV disc to play it anymore?

"70 per cent of people that have played GTA V while online have played GTA Online, which is a free-to-play experience."

I've kept myself a bit in the dark with GTA V. Can someone who doesn't own it download and play GTA Online for free? Or do they not know what that concept actually means?

Mesoian

In 15 hours of playing GTA Online I don't think I ever saw a prompt to purchase any in-game money. I never would anyway, as the online is dreadfully boring.

LOL at calling the online portion free-to-play. So I don't need the GTAV disc to play it anymore?

I think investors were calling for that. Just make the multiplayer downloadable and let it ride on microtransactions.

Regardless, that's pretty crazy considering GTAOnline is still fairly terrible.

dreamfall

Yipes!

And then the billions came raining in, and everyone went on shopping sprees...

In the beginning, the hustle of Violent Ducts felt too real- money grinding, depositing thousands, trying to watch it stack up. But it was a significant time investment to rank up/get money- and when payouts and replay options were nerfed, it exacerbated the issue. I think F2P with microtransactions soured a ton of people on the game- but it was snowing, and with it came billions. Money has become almost a non-factor these days- especially after the death penalties were also curbed.

kurbaan

Banned
well if you sell 32 million copies you are bound to get some micro transaction money.

I love how developers for consoles think free to play means paying 60 for the game.

BigDug13

This is bad. I'm really disappointed that this didn't blow up in their faces and now every publisher out there is going to continue bleeding us dry in games with transactions.

When will the sheep wake up and stop buying them to show them that it's not going to fly? Are there that many people with more money than sense?

Someone hide this news from EA and Microsoft!

I tried GTA Online once, and it definitely seemed like an MMO GTA. I can understand why the microtransactions wouldn't bother people who are having fun with it.

"70 per cent of people that have played GTA V while online have played GTA Online, which is a free-to-play experience."

I've kept myself a bit in the dark with GTA V. Can someone who doesn't own it download and play GTA Online for free? Or do they not know what that concept actually means?

No. "GTA Online" is just GTA5's multiplayer mode.

They're pretending it's a separate game for some reason. Even when you go to multiplayer, it asks you "Are you sure you want to exit Grand Theft Auto V?". It's dumb as hell, and there were glitches that allowed you to play single player characters online so the games are not separate in any way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is bad. I'm really disappointed that this didn't blow up in their faces and now every publisher out there is going to continue bleeding us dry in games with transactions.

Yeah the big takeaway here should be that now that it's even digitally stunted publishers like Take-Two having major success with this, pretty much everyone is going to do it.

Syf

Banned
Yeah. As much as we dislike it, microtransactions seem to be too successful for companies to ignore. We can probably expect them to be in a majority of AAA games going forward.

Revven

Yeah the big takeaway here should be that now that it's even digitally stunted publishers like Take-Two having major success with this, pretty much everyone is going to do it.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

And people thought no one would be dumb enough to buy Shark Cards. WELP. HERE'S YOUR PROOF. PEOPLE ARE STUPID.

I think investors were calling for that. Just make the multiplayer downloadable and let it ride on microtransactions.

Regardless, that's pretty crazy considering GTAOnline is still fairly terrible.
I disagree. Been playing with my close friends for months now and we still are having a blast. I think the fact that we can determine our own rules of play factor big into our enjoyment. The missions are also really fun. I'm excited for online DLC.

Doesn't seem like that much to me. Considering how many copies of the game they sold I somehow expected a much bigger number.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I am perfectly fine with Rockstar's model for GTA Online as it does not impact the competitive gameplay at all and it is pretty easy to get access to the high end apartments and cars just by doing jobs. What's troubling me though is the crazy amount of money people had spent for useless junk in an online mode. Bad signs for things to come this gen...

No. "GTA Online" is just GTA5's multiplayer mode.

They're pretending it's a separate game for some reason. Even when you go to multiplayer, it asks you "Are you sure you want to exit Grand Theft Auto V?". It's dumb as hell, and there were glitches that allowed you to play single player characters online so the games are not separate in any way.
Oh I see.

"Free-to-play."

ibu5fg7m8aoGBD.gif

KalBalboa

Banned
I disagree. Been playing with my close friends for months now and we still are having a blast. I think the fact that we can determine our own rules of play factor big into our enjoyment. The missions are also really fun. I'm excited for online DLC.

Same here. Goofing off online with a handful of friends and tackling co-op missions is a blast.

ironcreed

Banned
I can't wait for all this bullshit to be cranked up to full blast for the new generation. And fish will be reeled in hook, line and sinker.

well if you sell 32 million copies you are bound to get some micro transaction money.

I love how developers for consoles think free to play means paying 60 for the game.
That was the most alarming thing to me. Especially when you consider Live and soon PS+ subscriptions.

dreamfall

Yeah, this is probably going to get worse. Honestly, I was surprised they didn't charge GTA:O as a separate product rife with microtransactions.

It's a shame, because their DLC season passes for MP3 and L.A. Noire were pretty substantial. And their Episodes content restored my faith in how DLC chapters should be added/priced.

I haven't played in a couple months, but there were pretty easy ways to just cheat and get a shit ton of money. Why bother paying at all?

zma1013

The worst thing about this is that these micro-transactions in this game comes at the expense of the gameplay. The micro-transactions actually serve to make the game worse and that's something we should not tolerate. All the money sinks in the game deter people from playing GTA like a GTA game and actually discourage playing with other people. When I'm being punished for blowing up other players cars that are attacking me, something is majorly wrong with the game. And why are the money sinks in the game? Not to balance it, but to encourage people to buy mo' money.

Kilau

Gold Member
I'm a little surprised at that amount considering how broken the game was/is, especially at launch. How does anyone have the faith to put any money into this?

Top Bottom