• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-2 HD. Summer 2012 $15

Chris R

this digital title takes the best elements of the classic THPS games and gives them a fresh update to create an all new skateboarding experience

Not what I wanted to hear from the PR blurb, but what I expected :(

Next we will hear that the soundtrack is "All new, featuring today's most popular artists, like the Black Eye Peas!" :(

Seda

Here's the official Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ACTIVISION'S UPCOMING TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER HD IS CLASSIC SKATEBOARDING GAMEPLAY, UPGRADED FOR TODAY

The Best Of The First Two THPS Videogames in One Digital Title

Santa Monica, CA – December 12, 2011 – Ridiculously high scoring trick combos return to videogame consoles this summer in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD, today announced Activision Publishing Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard Inc., (Nasdaq: ATVI). Developed by Robomodo, this digital title takes the best elements of the classic THPS games and gives them a fresh update to create an all new skateboarding experience. The game will be available only on leading consoles' networks for about $15.

"We're going back to the core of what made the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games so popular, while leveraging today's console power and online capabilities," said Tony Hawk. "We've updated many elements to reflect today's skateboarding scene as well. Long-time fans of the series will appreciate the huge amount of polished content at a very low price."

Tapping into fans' muscle memories, the gameplay in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD returns to controllers and focuses on the satisfaction of linking sick tricks for maximum points. Combining sharp visuals with the best controls ever in a Tony Hawk game, the feel is cutting edge yet timeless. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD features an eclectic group of today's skateboarding pros, including Nyjah Huston, Chris Cole, Eric Koston, Andrew Reynolds, Rodney Mullen, Lyn-z Adams Hawkins (Pastrana), Riley Hawk, and, of course, Tony Hawk himself.

"Tony is not only a legend in the skateboarding world, he's an American icon that has had a major impact on videogames. We couldn't be happier to be working with him again," said David Oxford, Activision Publishing. "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD just feels right – we're simply giving fans what they've been clamoring for."

This title has not yet been rated by the ESRB. For more information, please visit http://www.facebook.com/TonyHawksProSkaterHD or follow @TonyHawksPSHD on Twitter.

app_full_proxy.php

Robomodo is the developer of Tony Hawk: Ride and Tony Hawk: Shred.

For new page.

Futureman

Not what I wanted to hear from the PR blurb, but what I expected :(

Next we will hear that the soundtrack is "All new, featuring today's most popular artists, like the Black Eye Peas!" :(

I wouldn't mind a new soundtrack if they stuck with punk/skate punk bands. Though that genre is, as far as I know, way way less popular now than it was when the series first came out.

Chris R

I wouldn't mind a new soundtrack if they stuck with punk/skate punk bands. Though that genre is, as far as I know, way way less popular now than it was when the series first came out.

I would mind a new soundtrack. If the game is being touted as a "remake" it needs to have the original soundtrack, along with the levels and move sets. I mean basically all I'd want them to do is to be able to incorporate things like manuals and other things that were improved on in 2 (since they aren't touching 3, so no reverts) along with online play (free skate, timed missions, S-K-A-T-E, ect). I just hope they don't screw it up :(

bubnbob

Banned
Here's the official Press Release

app_full_proxy.php

Robomodo is the developer of Tony Hawk: Ride and Tony Hawk: Shred.

Why didn't Robomodo/Acti just do this IN THE FIRST PLACE

Instead we had to stomach 2 horrible... whatever they're called, and completely poo'd on the franchise more than it already was.

I bet everyone there is just thrilled at such a genius marketing move this is!

They need to go Halo: Anniversary and have the old engine running in the background.

...YES.

Actually, do that, but have the soundtrack/skaters dynamically change depending on whether it's classic or modern. Have Billy Talent or something playing in modern style, press Select, and then have the graphics go to shit and "Goldfinger" start playing. :D

Why didn't Robomodo/Acti just do this IN THE FIRST PLACE

Instead we had to stomach 2 horrible... whatever they're called, and completely poo'd on the franchise more than it already was.

I bet everyone there is just thrilled at such a genius marketing move this is!

Pretty much. They did this because they had too. It was the only logical, safe choice.

Still, I look forward to it, though like I have said, I really want part 3.

I would love to Neversoft to take another stab at a new TH on next gen.

Chavelo

Awww yeah, Rodney Mullen is still in.

You know he was the only one you picked all the time when you didn't have the secret characters unlocked, GAF. YOU KNOOOOOW.

bubnbob

Banned
For those interested, THPS2 is available on iOS, but I don't know how much of the game / music is in it. It's only $2.

Sophia

For those interested, THPS2 is available on iOS, but I don't know how much of the game / music is in it. It's only $2.

It doesn't have the original soundtrack in the iOS version. No Create a Skater or Create a Park either.

Personally I want a combination of the original soundtracks + new music.

Seda

Probably Not

oneofswords said:
One of the biggest questions I’ve seen come up since the announcement of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD is “will it feature the original soundtrack?”

Probably not, for a few reasons. If you’ve got a few minutes, I can explain.

First of all, “original soundtrack” to which game? THPS HD is not a straight reissue; it’s neither THPS1 or THPS2, but a new game based on the levels and gameplay from both of those games.

Second, music licensing is a one-time deal. The songs from the original games were only licensed for those specific games on those specific platforms at that specific time. Any other versions created later would need new licensing deals. This is also why not all songs from earlier Guitar Hero games are importable into later games: They only signed permission for it to be used in that one game. Any change means it’s a different deal.

Now, that does not mean they might not try to get some of the songs from the original games, but it’s simply not a sure thing. I don’t know what that song selection process is, to be honest, but if you have a request, there’s a Facebook page. But from a legal/licensing standpoint, they are back to square one. Having the same levels of the original games is not the same thing as having the same soundtrack.

Third, consider that the THPS series was famous helping break new bands on its soundtracks; the reason a lot of these songs are such a strong part of people’s memories — beyond sheer repetition during gameplay! — is that THPS is the game that introduced you to that song or that artist. It’s entirely possible that the devs will stick with that tradition and mix up some classic tracks with new music. If that turns out to be the case, all you can hope is that some of those classic tracks are the ones you remember.

I do not think we’ll hear any sort of official soundtrack announcement for some time (most games keep chasing song permissions until right before release), but I don’t want to see anybody get their hopes or expectations up and convince themselves that their favorite song from the early games will be in there. Right now, everything is unknown, and there’s a lot more work to do before things are final.

Worst case scenario? Create a playlist and play the old songs while you play the new game. And cross your fingers in the meantime.

gamesradar said:
Now, if you'll excuse us, we need to go post "INCLUDE THAT SUPERMAN SONG BY GOLDFINDER" on the games' Facebook page 500 times. This needs to happen.

http://www.gamesradar.com/tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-likely-wont-include-original-soundtracks/

Hopefully not old.

Really looking forward to this. I do wish they incorporated stuff from THPS3, but for 20 bucks, it's hard to complain.

Now my dream would be for them to also release a portable companion piece for Vita or 3DS. The GBA Tony Hawk games were addicting as well and were really well made.

MMaRsu

Banned
Jesus christ skimping on music again? It's not like the tracks from THPS1&2 can be that expensive? Not too many big 'hits' on there.

Activision has just gotten about a billion in cash from Modern Warfare 3, they cant bring it to put the legit soundtrack in here?

Seriously Activision, no original OST no fucking buy.

gragy10

THP3 (& PGR 1) was the game that sold me hardest on custom soundtracks so I have literally no interest in them licensing the godawful mall punk/beige backpack rap of the originals.
Boards of Canada, Brian Eno and Frank Sinatra custom playlist = meditative combo bliss

Jtrizzy

No Bob Burnquist no buy. Just kidding...even though he was my favorite. All these no this no that no buy comments are silly.

Jesus christ skimping on music again? It's not like the tracks from THPS1&2 can be that expensive? Not too many big 'hits' on there.

Activision has just gotten about a billion in cash from Modern Warfare 3, they cant bring it to put the legit soundtrack in here?

Seriously Activision, no original OST no fucking buy.

Having a lot of money doesn't mean you break your budget on games at will. It won't have the original soundtrack, but it'll almost certainly support custom soundtracks, so it's not going to be a point of contention for me anyway.

All that matters is replicating the feel of the games and having good online functionality.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
At least the skater I always used, Rodney Mullen, is in. Although doesn't really matter if flatland tricks aren't included (they were added with 4 right?)
Pretty much used him because he had good manual balance from the outset.

MMaRsu

Banned
Having a lot of money doesn't mean you break your budget on games at will. It won't have the original soundtrack, but it'll almost certainly support custom soundtracks, so it's not going to be a point of contention for me anyway.

All that matters is replicating the feel of the games and having good online functionality.

Ps3 hardly ever supports custom soundtracks though..so one or the damn other.

If this doesnt have custom soundtrack support or the original ost I dont think many ppl will buy it anyway.

Ps3 hardly ever supports custom soundtracks though..so one or the damn other.

If this doesnt have custom soundtrack support or the original ost I dont think many ppl will buy it anyway.

I think implying the music was the primary driver of enjoyment in the game is doing the game a disservice, but the PS3 argument is valid. I was only thinking of 360.

FyreWulff

360's concept of custom soundtracks is worse than the original Xbox. Such a shame every time I load up Burnout 3 via Originals *sigh*

MMaRsu

Banned
I think implying the music was the primary driver of enjoyment in the game is doing the game a disservice, but the PS3 argument is valid. I was only thinking of 360.

I'm not saying it's the primary driver of enjoyment in this game but it certainly goes hand in hand with the gameplay in my opinion. Too many hours spend in a gaming store playing the demo of thps 1 :D.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
360's concept of custom soundtracks is worse than the original Xbox. Such a shame every time I load up Burnout 3 via Originals *sigh*

Never really used it on the original Xbox, what's different?

Playing over the network is a pretty handy addition for me personally.

SeanNoonan

Music or GTFO!

Seriously though, I'd be all over this if it was actually an HD remake with the same ridiculous/arcade gameplay as the originals. It seems to me they're just going back to the original levels with an HD sheen and chucking them in whatever the last non Kinect/Wii/Board Tony Hawk was.

Sad face.

Yep. One of the best devs of two generations ago is doing map packs. Makes me wonder if they'd be like Rare if they got to make a new game. No idea why Activision leashes them so hard. I'm surprised they haven't been shut down.

I wouldn't mind seeing them make Spiderman games again

dralla

so this is not all the levels from 1 and 2? only a selection? am I going to get nickel and dimed for map packs?

Domstercool

Seems more levels have been announced.

Seven levels from THPS and THPS2 are confirmed for the game: Warehouse, School 2, Mall, Phoenix, Hangar, Marseilles and Venice. These levels have been picked by Tony Hawk based on his opinions and feedback solicited from his fans on Twitter last summer.

5amshift

Banned
The only reason people will be buying this is because of the original soundtrack I hope it will have. Super hyped and it should be an easy Platinum.

therapist

Played em to death.

Skate 3 is around <20$ new.

Buy that instead - 100x better than this garbage =P

Dont get me wrong , great in its time but just watching that warehouse vid with that ridiculous combo made me cringe.

tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-20120119093510897.jpg

tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-20120119093512047.jpg

tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-20120119093505215.jpg

tony-hawks-pro-skater-hd-20120119093508971.jpg

Described as a "best of" skate spot collection from the first two games in the series, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD still hasn't locked down its final list. But a temporary listing from an early build reveals the appearance of Warehouse, School 2, Mall, Phoenix, Hangar, Venice, and Marseilles.

Without the familiar soundtrack, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD still looks like it's on the right track. The graphical updates add detail to previously empty surfaces. Light pours into the Warehouse from cracks and windows in the ceiling, and weeds sprout around skate-able rails. Developer Robomodo took Neversoft's original code to start this project, so the foundation is solid.

While Robomodo hasn't implemented scoring and multipliers yet and the early build had perfect balance flipped on, the flow of gameplay stands firmly in place. Additionally, Manuals, the key combo multiplier from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 show up in the original levels. They're the best way to add digits to the scoreboard -- no Reverts from Tony Hawk 3, though. The Hidden VHS Tapes transform into DVDs this time around and the skater list now reflects a more modern line. Tony Hawk and Rodney Mullen return, but they're joined but some young guns. The officially announced skaters also include Nyjah Huston, Chris Cole, Eric Koston, Andrew Reynolds, Lyn-z Adams Hawkins, and Riley Hawk.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216827p1.html

Top Bottom