• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

I accept that he was trying to make a valid point, but on a related point...

For future reference, in cases where someone in his position is truly being bigoted, Jay-Z's ignorance doesn't excuse anyone else for being ignorant. I'm sick of the "But, rappers do/say it" non-sense. The "Don Imus Excuse" as I call it. Like I said, this writer was doing something a little more nuanced and I'm not going to lose sleep over him being a smart ass, but I'm sick of being expected to tolerate horseshit because of ignorant pop culture "icons".

On an unrelated note, since I know it has some gaf posters, anyone seen what's been happening to project covo/sohh? A group of posters started a new forum (With a better server, jpgs/gifs, cursing, etc) and people have actually migrated. Didn't think it was going to work but it's looking like the downfall of sohh.

Mr. Patch

That tipping thread is reminding me why I don't give a fuck about the supposed 20% "standard" tip.

If a waiter profiles me and gives me shitty service, they won't get a dime of tip from me.

That tipping thread is reminding me why I don't give a fuck about the supposed 20% "standard" tip.

If a waiter profiles me and gives me shitty service, they won't get a dime of tip from me.

The tip thread is reminding me that racist shit affects even the most inconsequential aspects of being a black man. Dear lord is it more depressing than I thought.

WTF is Beyonce wearing!?

wenn5837408.jpg

wenn5837472.jpg

The tip thread is reminding me that racist shit affects even the most inconsequential aspects of being a black man. Dear lord is it more depressing than I thought.

You have only two things to remember when walking around outside:

1. Your blackness is infinite. Even if you don't think it is considered, or has anything to do with your interactions with people or places, it probably is.

2. Your blackness offends by default. Like, we start underneath the bottom line; we have to disprove things even before we get to start from the beginning with a first impression.

But you know what? I sorta like that. I like living this life on hard mode and still winning daily.

1. Your blackness is infinite. Even if you don't think it is considered, or has anything to do with your interactions with people or places, it probably is.

2. Your blackness offends by default. Like, we start underneath the bottom line; we have to disprove things even before we get to start from the beginning with a first impression.

But you know what? I sorta like that. I like living this life on hard mode and still winning daily.

*steals that idea for a t-shirt*

Imm0rt4l

Troof.

Gattsu25

Banned
FF 1 and 2 are trash, IMO - too old school grind heavy for me

FF 3 is good, but avoid the DS/iOS versions - the 3D remake has a super slow slow battle system and the game is grind hell - so be prepared to wait a lot as you press the action button over and over and over and over and over again. No real story to write home about.

FF 4 is good - Even the 3D version is good for this one

FF 5 has one of my favorite level up systems in the series which is a more refined take on the same system as FF3.

FF 6 is is pretty good but is not the end all be all game that some people make it out to be. Has some interesting gimmicks with the battle system, and is the start of FF games having carefully plotted and frequent story moments. The music is fuzzy low quality SNES standard fare, though some of the compositions are pretty good.

FF 7 is okay I guess. It has some pretty creative concepts but that all goes out the window whenever they start hammering on that metaphysical bullshit. Boring but non-offensive battle system. More crappy quality but sometimes well written MIDI music.

FF 8 has a more engaging battle system than previous FFs, does not require grinding, and has a completely new and pretty awesome character advancement system. I know what you're thinking: this game must be awesome. Shame about the game having the worst characters, world, and story in the entire series.

FF 9 is a semi-throwback FF. Sometimes funny, very slow battle system. I liked it

FF 10 is divisive. I liked this one. I liked the level up system and the end game content. Has the best song in the series.

FF 10-2 is a game where you play as a bunch of 16 year old girls dressed in slutty outfits. You also listen to a lot of shitty j pop and elevator music. The cutscenes have upskirt shots for every voiced female character in the game. Be prepared to watch a lot of 7 polygon crotches with 5x5 resolution textures in this "girl power" FF game.

FF 11 is an old pre-WoW MMO in the gameplay vein of everquest. I had fun with it. It punished bad players as well as those that played with bad players. I heard it is now gimped to the point where you can reach max level in a manner of hours now.

FF 12 is a fun game with a completely different gameplay style than other FFs. I loved the presentation and playing the real time combat on near the highest speed with the option to pause the game in combat disabled. Gameplay can be made trivialized by abusing the game's AI scripting.

FF 13 is a now gen FF game with good graphics, a good battle system, and not much else. Has the most annoying character in jRPG history and has the most annoying Anime trope that made me stop watching anime. I still beat the game with these problems because it is fun to play.

FF 14 is a mess. Fuck that game. It's another MMO that was so fucked up that Square extended the 30-day free trial to last for over a year, fired the development team, issued 3 apology letters to the fans, the CEO of square said that the game has permanently damaged the FF brand, and they are working on a new patch that completely changes every single aspect of the game. It's a fucking lost cause.

This is brilliant.

I order a lot of Chinese food because I find lots of coupons on campus. The first time the delivery guy (an older Chinese man) came to my house I could tell he was disappointed. I gave him a nice tip and he was shocked, and he went from being emotionless to rather happy.

He must be the only delivery guy because I get him every time I order. Now I put the tip on my credit card, but I'll always tell him just in case he didn't check the receipt. He's always happy to see me lol

It's funny, you can immediately tell when someone expects you to be a ghetto black person, and when you prove them wrong they get that "oh snaps" face.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
FF 8 has a more engaging battle system than previous FFs, does not require grinding, and has a completely new and pretty awesome character advancement system. I know what you're thinking: this game must be awesome. Shame about the game having the worst characters, world, and story in the entire series.

worst world? what the hell? balamb and galbadia looked fucking amazing.

I mean, is this really a common thing? I don't really know people that don't tip. I feel like I'm going to scrutinize my service the next time I go out to eat :/ Dunno, I usually get good service and leave 15-20% as do most people I go out with of any race.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Dope as fuck. Truth too.

Onemic

worst world? what the hell? balamb and galbadia looked fucking amazing.

FFVIII has one of the best worlds in FF period. It also has the best musical score of any FF to date for me personally. Its main weakness comes in its main character. In fact most people hate the game due to that alone.

Want to hear something depressing? My girlfriend who is from Turkey has been in the US for about 5 years now. The first time she ever seen a black person outside of a TV set was when she set foot in America. In Turkey they basically have 0 black people yet somehow the Turkish HATE black people. Yes, somehow it's possible to hate people you have never seen, spoken to or had any interaction with. She told me if she was ever seen with a black person in her country she would probably be killed.

zero_suit

Want to hear something depressing? My girlfriend who is from Turkey has been in the US for about 5 years now. The first time she ever seen a black person outside of a TV set was when she set foot in America. In Turkey they basically have 0 black people yet somehow the Turkish HATE black people. Yes, somehow it's possible to hate people you have never seen, spoken to or had any interaction with. She told me if she was ever seen with a black person in her country she would probably be killed.

Same deal in Russia, China, South Korea, etc. They haven't interacted with a single black person, yet they harbor so much hatred toward us.

Onemic

I've always wondered how we have managed to be the most abused and hated race in the world, towards even those who have never seen us in real life. The worldwide hatred is astounding and yet we also manage to be the most hip and copied race on the planet at the same time. Go figure.

Slayven

I've always wondered how we have managed to be the most abused and hated race in the world, towards even those who have never seen us in real life. The worldwide hatred is astounding and yet we also manage to be the most hip and copied race on the planet at the same time. Go figure.

Gives me an idea.

zero_suit

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Because it's cool and so edgy and my parents hate it!

You would think this hate would be reserved for the white men who have killed, raped, pillaged, enslaved, and spread disease throughout history.

"Everybody wanna be a nigga but nobody want to be a nigga"

Hah. Friend told me that when he first saw me, he thought I was an "original gangster."

Now he calls me the whitest black guy he knows...

Why is he a friend?

You're not offended by that?

Why is he still your friend? Or at least, why haven't you called him out on it?

I was thinking of something, but I don't know. Let's call him a friend of a friend - he is generally an asshole to me - I mean, really everyone he knows. I mean, he has been nice every now and then, but... Just his personality. If you got mad at everything he said, you'd be mad forever.

And to be even more fair, he was my roommate for half of a semester

how else would we get those shitty threads if we didnt have joker's shitty friends to fill his head with dumb shit

1) Those don't even make up half my threads - you should check
2) I told y'all from the beginning I was coming up with responses

Well clearly his friend just says shit to say it. But yeah, I can't be the only one who gets SUPER annoyed at being called "a white black guy"

I just can't get annoyed by it.

My own family has called me/calls me white. Just not something I get mad about at this point. More like "oh, lol."

Top Bottom