• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

JulianImp

Who:

• JulianImp
  • Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • jae
  • Mercurio
  • Evilore
  • Gromph

I'll have to pass for this one since I'll be arriving on the 8th, but count me in for the second one! Any date and time would probably be fine for me except for TGS days (Sept 17th-21st).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh wow -the GAF meet up is within touching distance of where my office is, Saturday might be impossible, but maybe can pop out late at night (home isn't quite as convenient but not a million miles away)

Anyhoo - HELLO! Nice to see an official Japan GAF thread after all this time !

Oh, wait, you too work in Akasaka? :)

I'll have to pass for this one since I'll be arriving on the 8th, but count me in for the second one! Any date and time would probably be fine for me except for TGS days (Sept 17th-21st).

I'll soon be in Japan for a year for my year abroad. Wouldn't mind meeting up with any gaffers over that time, but unfortunately I won't be there in time for the meet on 6th Sept.

I'd to join in on the meetup, but I won't be in Japan till the 12th - 29th >.< so if there's a meetup then count me in!

Don't worry. I will make on for the late people.

I don't know if it is too late to be added to the list. I posted earlier this week but it must have gotten lost in the shuffle between new threads. I would like if possible to be put down for the meet up.

Sure, added to the list.

Updated list:

Who:

• [*]JulianImp
  • Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
    [*]jae
  • Mercurio
  • AlabastreAizo
  • Geobobfrank
  • m3r4
  • Evilore
  • Gromph

The reservation is for 10, but can be adjusted if more people shows up.

Gromph

Staff Member
Where do I get bus tickets in Narita terminal. Asked for directions but I'm going in circles.

Check the counters for Limousine Bus.

There is a ticket counter near the SKyliner.

What made you interested in Japan?

I grew up watching subbed Godzilla flicks with my folks, listening to J-pop my sister played all the time, and watching old anime with my mom. Let's just say that time passed, and my interest in the country and language only grew stronger.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?

See the above. I finally had a chance to learn the language in college, and it just so happened that the school I went to dealt primarily in language learning. Ended up making Japanese my major, studying for four years, and going to the Middlebury summer school for a whole summer before studying abroad and living with a host family.

Are you currently living in Japan?
Yussums.

How long have you lived in Japan?

Including my year abroad at Japanese university, a total of six years now.

SUP J-GAF. LEZ PLAY.

I'm down in Nagasaki prefecture btw, but I make my way around. I'll be at TGS covering it as per the usual on the business days.

Ayumi

Where do I get bus tickets in Narita terminal. Asked for directions but I'm going in circles.
Not sure what bus you're taking, but the counter is almost straight forward once you leave the baggage claim and enter the main area. On the left side. There's an eacalator and a huge sliding door to go outside on the same place, and the counter is just on the left of those.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Oh, wait, you too work in Akasaka? :)

naa - i'm inbetween Yotsuya and Kojimachi, but i run around that area most days

It's a short walk away from our main office, issue being most days i'm at clients on their site so usually means i'm either in the Yaesu side of Tokyo or around Otemachi.

But yeah, we aren't far away - we should say hi or something during a lunchtime or something

I am planning on applying to the JET Program. If I make it in I will try to go to Osaka as much as possible for the food. Shame that the Japanese lessons I am taking right now might not get me far with the local dialect.

Gromph

Staff Member
naa - i'm inbetween Yotsuya and Kojimachi, but i run around that area most days

It's a short walk away from our main office, issue being most days i'm at clients on their site so usually means i'm either in the Yaesu side of Tokyo or around Otemachi.

But yeah, we aren't far away - we should say hi or something during a lunchtime or something

Yeah, sounds good, this week is bit chaotic, but next week i'm up any day (Sunday-Thursday) for a lunch hi.

I am planning on applying to the JET Program. If I make it in I will try to go to Osaka as much as possible for the food. Shame that the Japanese lessons I am taking right now might not get me far with the local dialect.

Remember Osaka only have that, the food.

Desmond

Not sure what bus you're taking, but the counter is almost straight forward once you leave the baggage claim and enter the main area. On the left side. There's an eacalator and a huge sliding door to go outside on the same place, and the counter is just on the left of those.
Hopped on a bus to Tokyo station. 1000 yen only.

DCharlie

Yeah, sounds good, this week is bit chaotic, but next week i'm up any day (Sunday-Thursday) for a lunch hi.

yup this week i have a promise with Jonnyram and another with my wife, as well as meetings - but next week looks a good idea :D

Re: Osaka

My last trip to Osaka was the biggest mindfeck ever. The short version is someone i thought was dead (literally) suddenly friended me on Facebook - this is 8 years after his "death". I accept and he is "you are in Tokyo, i have a 3 day holiday in Osaka to go eat food (i am now a chef) - lets do it"
Complete insane set of days - 5 meals a day (!!!) for 3 days , he had a list of all the places he wanted to go and inbetween those we hit some bars and went out clubbing each night (had one particularly amazing night in a Reggae club with a set of locals we'd bumped into), got taken karaoke by
random set of ladies, met an Osakan Ipswich Town fan....

I <3 Osaka - it's a completely different vibe to Tokyo and , whilst that time was messy, the several other times i've been have been equally as random and awesome.

Only place better has been Hiroshima - good god, that place has been crazy every night i've spent there.

Oh man, it was a tourist joke : ) (Even people from Osaka told me)

I had friends living there and i had been there a few times and is amazing.

Jeezus man! You scared me silly for a second there. Hahaha.

I lived in the Osaka area for a year and had the most amazing time. This can be said of pretty much every big region or city in Japan, but it really does have its own fantastic flavor, especially in comparison to Tokyo. Both great places, though I probably prefer Osaka a bit more.

Gromph

Staff Member
Jeezus man! You scared me silly for a second there. Hahaha.

I lived in the Osaka area for a year and had the most amazing time. This can be said of pretty much every big region or city in Japan, but it really does have its own fantastic flavor, especially in comparison to Tokyo. Both great places, though I probably prefer Osaka a bit more.

Haha, thats why i post the clarification, i thought people were gonna kill me. :D

By the way, i'm thinking to go this year to TGS but still don't know.

Desmond

Meeting up with three friends soon. After 16 hours of travelling. I'm gonna die. Lol

Is this meet up on Saturday and all night affair?

expel

Wow Japan GAF OT! I love Japan, lived in Tokyo for a year long time ago, met DCharlie there too :)
I finally got a chance to went back last year and went to TGS, met a bunch of cool people like RyougaSaotome, Hasemo. I also msged Gromph on Line but he was busy dating a lot of girls :p
Cant wait to go there again and this time travel to Osaka!

Gromph

Staff Member
Meeting up with three friends soon. After 16 hours of travelling. I'm gonna die. Lol

Is this meet up on Saturday and all night affair?

I don't know.

I can stay for a drink after, but sadly i will take the last train. I work on Sundays.

DCharlie

wait - how did i not meet you last year? doh

oh wait, i started my new job the week of TGS ... i guess i have a works anniversary coming up :(

Gromph

Staff Member
Wow Japan GAF OT! I love Japan, lived in Tokyo for a year long time ago, met DCharlie there too :)
I finally got a chance to went back last year and went to TGS, met a bunch of cool people like RyougaSaotome, Hasemo. I also msged Gromph on Line but he was busy dating a lot of girls :p
Cant wait to go there again and this time travel to Osaka!

Liaaar!!!

You never told me to meet up :/

(Or i dont remember it )

Desmond

Someone mentioned something regarding MasterCard Debit cards?

My transactions are being blocked. I'm fucked.

I suppose I should get in contact with my bank? Maybe they are blocking them as they are international charges.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
An OT? Nice!
Tokyo J-GAF representing.

Games when I was a kid and anime/manga when I was a slightly older kid.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?

When I was choosing my university major I wanted to go with a foreign language, but since English sounded extremely boring I went with Japanese Studies.

Yes.

1 year on scholarship and 1.5 since I've started working here.

Zornica

Banned
Someone mentioned something regarding MasterCard Debit cards?

My transactions are being blocked. I'm fucked.

I suppose I should get in contact with my bank? Maybe they are blocking them as they are international charges.

that's been going on for over a year now. If it's still the same problem as last year, contacting you bank wont change a thing.
I'm sorry to say, but unless you brought some money with you, you are fucked
(credit cards will work though - visa has a higher chance of working)

I don't know where you're from, so I can't tell you much more

Desmond

that's been going on for over a year now. If it's still the same problem as last year, contacting you bank wont change a thing.
I'm sorry to say, but unless you brought some money with you, you are fucked
(credit cards will work though - visa has a higher chance of working)

I don't know where you're from, so I can't tell you much more
I used my card last august in Japan. Worked fine in hostels and post offices.

Jijidasu

Greetings all.

I'm in Nagoya with my fiancee and won't be able to make it to the meet up unless something spectacular happens and my schedule clears (unlikely as my partner carries the whip). Would be nice to meet the folks I've known for nearly a decade and who inspired me to take this path.

I've been in and out of Japan and Australia for nearly the past decade. I went to Japanese language school and University in Tokyo and then moved to Nagoya. Went back to Australia for more university in 2011 and now I'm back as a homeroom teacher for a private middle/high school. I hated the concept of working in an Eikaiwa farm so I changed my stars and got a job where I rarely have to use English. Win.

DJmizuhara also reps Nagoya. It's a hot, middle hell of Japan.

I'm on twitter @jijidasu!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Whoa, a J-GAF thread. Sick!

Osaka GAF! ASSEMBLE!!!

I grew up on Japanese video games, and eventually manga and anime when they got popular in Canada.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?

Why not? It helps me survive in the country.

You betcha!

I'm currently in my 5th year.

I live in Osaka, and work for Playism as Marketing Manager and English localization editor. But y'all knew that!

kizito

Well, looked like a nice country, I like many aspects of it, like the security and kindness of japanese people.

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?

Still learning it, can speak with people about basic things, but not much more, though I study hard since one year now.

Nope. But in one year precisely, I will go there for a long-term stay (2 years minimum probably).

Spent 3 weeks on vacation this summer.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What is your favourite Hotto Motto meal, jp gaf.
&#12525;&#12540;&#12473;&#12459;&#12484;&#24321;&#24403; was the best thing I've ate there. Too bad that there's so little meat in it.
I also liked their fake steak, but they've stopped selling the regular one and you can only get a special or double version. :/

Top Bottom