• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue II has duck racing in it.

Chinner

Banned
Why didn't anyone tell me about this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2rZfSEZHU

This is crazy, I really need to play this game again. I've played through Shenmue II but I've never known that I could race ducks in it. Truly an innovation in gaming and can't believe hasn't catched on. It's really the little details that make this game, for example, apparently if you race the ducks on a rainy day you have to race a super fast penguin. Hoollyy shit. Games that try to copy it - like Mass Effect 2 - tend to miss the smaller details that make Shenmue amazing.

298ple.jpg

6tkye8.jpg

DoXP7.gif

Really makes me want to play Shenmue II again; what else have I missed out on???

edit; props to omikaru for showing me this

Omikaru said:
You need to beat Eileen and Izumi to unlock it; it's buried relatively deep and is rather hidden from the main questline. Shenmue I & II are both full of little things like this, such as Fangmei's birthday.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I approve of this, if it's actually true (it's the first I've heard of it). It really is a fantastic game. But I have to ask... Mass Effect 2 tries to copy Shenmue 2?

Omikaru

You need to beat Eileen and Izumi to unlock it; it's buried relatively deep and is rather hidden from the main questline. Shenmue I & II are both full of little things like this, such as Fangmei's birthday.

6tkye8.jpg

I love the way the duck is trying to get into the shot! :lol :lol :lol

Chinner

Banned
The game even translate what the duck says. Holy shit. This is bigger than The Beatles (and by extension, Jesus).

Glix

Does Shenmue 2 play in the 360? I only ask because it seems like every time I want to play an OG XBOX game (which is not often at all), it is not supported in the 360

V_Arnold

Glix said:
Does Shenmue 2 play in the 360? I only ask because it seems like every time I want to play an OG XBOX game (which is not often at all), it is not supported in the 360

Yes, it does.

Omikaru

Glix said:
Yep. I believe shadows don't work properly, but for all intents and purposes it runs well enough.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Shenmue 2 is playable via BC, and this news is awesome. Feel like digging up the Dreamcast and playing the Europe import again

Hag

Yeah, it's true. I found this on my Xbox version by the way. I was like '' Wtf? So awesome :lol ''

Omikaru

Chinner said:
edit; props to omikaru for showing me this
You're welcome. Such an awesome game, and I knew you'd like this in particular.:lol

Edit: I should also give props to Ziming from the Shenmue Dojo for showing me the video in the first place.

I knew about this.
This is one of the things why shenmue is one of the best games of all time. most people saying it isnt, just did not like the controls or amount of dialogue in this game. but the amount of sidemissions and stuff you could explore if you just looked is astounding.
i think there is NO other game with as much attention to detail. there were so many optional cutscenes that game information about characters and the world you played in. wonderful. shenmue is astounding.

Ziming

Banned
Those you who plan to try this side event please be aware your duck isn't going to be fast from the get-go. Your duck starts off with very low stamina, which means you'll lose the first dozen or so races. Gradually you'll get better acceleration and stamina until you're able to win. Lastly it's $50 a race so be sure you save up at least a grand or two before you start racing.

Lijik

Okay shit, I need to hurry up and figure out what Im doing wrong to keep missing the event flag in that last forklift day and finish up 1 so I get on this shit STAT

Watch me baby!

Zezboob

I did this at that time....

Damn, I want so much a true Shenmue 3, with Yu Suzuki supervising it :(

Yeah I am hurting myself

scarybore

Earl Cazone said:
I knew about this.
This is one of the things why shenmue is one of the best games of all time. most people saying it isnt, just did not like the controls or amount of dialogue in this game. but the amount of sidemissions and stuff you could explore if you just looked is astounding.
i think there is NO other game with as much attention to detail. there were so many optional cutscenes that game information about characters and the world you played in. wonderful. shenmue is astounding.

Yeah, the game was full of content if you took the time to look around and talk to everyone, as such I am a bit surprised so many people have not seen the duck race before. Both games are such an amazing experience.

I'll have to replay the game soon, it's been too long.

Omikaru said:
Edit: I should also give props to Ziming from the Shenmue Dojo for showing me the video in the first place.

Aww, man Shenmue Dojo is back up? It brought a tear to my eye when it closed down, glad to see its return. All the crazy editing by LanDC (I think) is what drove me to mod my Xbox and replace the english voice files with japanese ones from my Dreamcast version.

Top Bottom