• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Are you sure you are running those games with the enhanced patches? Because the patches have only just started to appear to work for some. The latest patches don't mean 4k, as some have dropped in the last few days that are not 4k.

Origins and WW2, in particular, are odd. Some sites have put up comparisons BEFORE the patch, which has fooled a lot of people. But after the patch has been installed, the differences are night and day.

Something is wrong there...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Don't think WW2 X patch is even out? Could be wrong.

You could very well be right. I let the thing download and update overnight have only played with it a couple of hours this morning.

I dont want anyone thinking I am putting this machine down because I absolutely love it because I wanted the upgrade from the S.

Just tossing it out there that people thinking this X would decimate the Pro I think will be in for a surprise.

Nicely done upscale 4k looks really nice even sitting next to native 4k.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh and one other thing, both WW2 and Origins, even with the 4k patch, don't install additional texture assets. They are hardly the benchmark of what this can do.

Look for games that do install extra higher res textures, of which there should be lots coming up.

Severianb

I have a few questions that need to be answered before I buy an X1X:

1. Is the interface faster? (The most annoying thing about the Xbox One has been the laggy interface)
ANSWER: YES The faster CPU and memory bandwidth and CPU speed seems to have made everything snappier. On top of that, the newest OS update sped up everything. Good job Microsoft.

2. Are the loading times faster?
ANSWER: YES
It looks like they are 20 to 40 percent faster, depending on the game a good sign.

3. Does the system take advantage of a SSD? (Previous consoles of this gen had a severely bottlenecked hard drive interface)
ANSWER: We don't know yet. Hopefully someone tests a internal SSD swap soon and a USB attached SSD vs. the same drives on a OG XB1.

4. Improvement in games. (The is honestly the least important part for me)
ANSWER: HUGE YES (This thing not only boosts XB1 games, but 360 BC ones also, all without needing a patch. The 4K Ultra PC textures on anything new are fantastic)

So, I'm right on the edge of trading in my OG XB1. Just need a decent word on how it works with SSDs, internal and external.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Are you sure you are running those games with the enhanced patches? Because the patches have only just started to appear to work for some. The latest patches don't mean 4k, as some have dropped in the last few days that are not 4k.

Origins and WW2, in particular, are odd. Some sites have put up comparisons BEFORE the patch, which has fooled a lot of people. But after the patch has been installed, the differences are night and day.

Something is wrong there...

As of right now almost 10:00 EST both games are patched and up to date does this mean there is another patch coming for either game? I dont know.

I guess my post came across wrong as both games look amazing in 4k there is no doubt there and having been a gamer my whole life yes I can see differences in the X and Pro.

Just saying those differences are not mind blowing granted my 2 Samsung 4k monitors are not the latest greatest tech out there.

Going to be testing today and recording in 4k when I play on my LG Signature 65" 4k TV later today.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh and one other thing, both WW2 and Origins, even with the 4k patch, don't install additional texture assets. They are hardly the benchmark of what this can do.

Look for games that do install extra higher res textures, of which there should be lots coming up.

Maybe I will hold off for a couple of days and let these patches roll in, thank you for the heads up.

Blam

punished_snake_ref3_by_artsteadyuser-d6f62tq.jpg

Can't ban a ghost.

Hmm this is very true very true indeed.

solis74

I have a few questions that need to be answered before I buy an X1X:

1. Is the interface faster? (The most annoying thing about the Xbox One has been the laggy interface)
ANSWER: YES The faster CPU and memory bandwidth and CPU speed seems to have made everything snappier. On top of that, the newest OS update sped up everything. Good job Microsoft.

2. Are the loading times faster?
ANSWER: YES
It looks like they are 20 to 40 percent faster, depending on the game a good sign.

3. Does the system take advantage of a SSD? (Previous consoles of this gen had a severely bottlenecked hard drive interface)
ANSWER: We don't know yet. Hopefully someone tests a internal SSD swap soon and a USB attached SSD vs. the same drives on a OG XB1.

4. Improvement in games. (The is honestly the least important part for me)
ANSWER: HUGE YES (This thing not only boosts XB1 games, but 360 BC ones also, all without needing a patch. The 4K Ultra PC textures on anything new are fantastic)

So, I'm right on the edge of trading in my OG XB1. Just need a decent word on how it works with SSDs, internal and external.

I need the X bad! stupid Amazon.

ganaconda

You could very well be right. I let the thing download and update overnight have only played with it a couple of hours this morning.

I dont want anyone thinking I am putting this machine down because I absolutely love it because I wanted the upgrade from the S.

Just tossing it out there that people thinking this X would decimate the Pro I think will be in for a surprise.

Nicely done upscale 4k looks really nice even sitting next to native 4k.

I wouldn't toss that out there based on two games that don't even have texture upgrades. You may or may not have had the patches for them, but either way the differences in those games are limited to resolution increases, reflections, shadow quality, etc. which are going to be much less noticeable than games with higher resolution textures. You may not have had the patch for AC:Origins because the difference there is still very noticeable despite the lack of higher res textures.

I have to sit this launch out unfortunately. I have to pay for some other things first before I can buy the X. Hopefully I will join you this holiday!

OCD Guy

1440p isn't an option yet right?

Just saying those differences are not mind blowing granted my 2 Samsung 4k monitors are not the latest greatest tech out there.

What model monitor are they?

Do they have HDCP 2.2 i.e can you watch 4k Netflix through them?

I'm tempted to buy a 4k monitor but the lack of HDCP is putting me off many monitors.

edit: nevermind I read your post on the first page that lists the model number, would like to know if you're able to watch Netflix on 4k or if you know if it has HDCP 2.2

kentobi

Neo Member
If I were extremely bored and out of games (lol) and wanted to buy a xbox for the very first time (PC/PS4/Nintendo only) - what games are exclusives and must-haves from any supported generation (xbox360 till now)? give me a top 3 or something :D

CrazyDutch

Neo Member
Can't wait till I receive my Xbox tomorrow. Got several options because I placed several orders just to be sure. Now, they are all shipped.... *sigh*

- Two Scorpio Editions will be delivered
- Two normal editions will be delivered.

I only need one.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Can't wait till I receive my Xbox tomorrow. Got several options because I placed several orders just to be sure. Now, they are all shipped.... *sigh*

I only need one.

Well if one is bum out the box you are set!

lemmykoopa

Hmmm. I know HDMI 1.4 will work with 4k but only at 24fps I believe and only 8-bit color. I believe you need a 2.0 cable for 4k 60fps and HDR.

2.0 hdmi cables don't exist. Only 2.0 hdmi inputs. The only thing that matters for a cable if it's rated for High Speed.

So I went into settings on the XBOX One S, setup for 4K updates under settings, but I don't see any updates for games coming through. I thought Gears update was already up but when I go to manage game I don't see it grabbing any 4K update for download. Same with Forza.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
1440p isn't an option yet right?

What model monitor are they?

Do they have HDCP 2.2 i.e can you watch 4k Netflix through them?

I'm tempted to buy a 4k monitor but the lack of HDCP is putting me off many monitors.

edit: nevermind I read your post on the first page that lists the model number, would like to know if you're able to watch Netflix on 4k or if you know if it has HDCP 2.2

My monitor does not support HDCP 2.2 and in my very limited knowledge of it that is just more of a security encryption for HDR for apps as my games run great in 4k @ 60 fps just without hdr.

I am now running games on my LG OLED65G6P that is HDCP 2.2 and the X does make an amazing picture. Here again unless some patches hit tonight that change my mind the PS4 Pro still holds up very well.

I love how this X is playing games and I will buy all future multi plats on the X as I do feel its going to be the better console to play on.

Have just read alot of people saying how much the X will destroy the Pro in side by side reviews and while it will win these "battles" it will not be total destruction like some people think.

Plus, its coming out a year later and $100 more than the Pro it had better kick its ass.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So I went into settings on the XBOX One S, setup for 4K updates under settings, but I don't see any updates for games coming through. I thought Gears update was already up but when I go to manage game I don't see it grabbing any 4K update for download. Same with Forza.

Try a hard reboot.

shpankey

not an idiot
There are definitely HDMI 2.0 Certified Cables that exist.

I believe that is just marketing. They officially test them and then slap that statement on the box. There isn't an actual difference. Any cable rated High-Speed (read almost all of them now) will work just fine and as this is a digital signal, there will be no actual difference in quality.

Spasm

I believe that is just marketing. They officially test them and then slap that statement on the box. There isn't an actual difference. Any cable rated High-Speed (read almost all of them now) will work just fine and as this is a digital signal, there will be no actual difference in quality.
A quick check of the spec on Wikipedia clears this up. Category 2 cables are marketed as "High-Speed" (10.2 Gbit/s) but could potentially only support up to a max res of 2160p30. The only way to be sure a cable can do 2160p60 is that it is capable of 18 Gbit/s transmission rate.

IIRC, Major already confirmed that the HDMI pack-in cable is rated for 18 Gbit/s.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
What is the betting I spend all day sitting around tomorrow waiting for UPS and it'll come about 6pm.

Pantz

Gold Member
Updating now, it's so quiet I'd need a stethoscope to hear it (at least on the update screen).

Zurick

Banned
I been hoping someone will try out Sunset Overdrive. Curious to see what the boost in performance looks like there.

I wish they would just release an Elite Controller 2.

I want to buy one but keep feeling like they must be on the verge of releasing the next-gen version any day now so I don't. 😢

Sorry but this "elite" console makes me think I need the "Elite" controller.

MaulerX

WTF? My Gamestop online order still says: Order Processed: Ready for UPS when I track it on UPS's website.

Gamestop sent me shipping confirmation on Thursday Nov 2nd with tracking number. But no movement at all since then? I'll be pissed if I don't get this tomorrow.

Freeman76

I only need one.

Why order more than one? Are you that desperate to go through all this hassle of sending 3 back? Damn this addiction level is insane.

Why order more than one? Are you that desperate to go through all this hassle of sending 3 back? Damn this addiction level is insane.

I ordered one from Best Buy and Amazon. Didn't cancel Amazon's until I got a confirmed delivery date on the Best Buy order. I've seen so many horror stories when preordering a console. I just wanted a backup in case one of my orders got delayed or worse yet canceled.

Top Bottom